2015-2016 Blackhawks Off season thread

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Mike Reilly is officially a UFA today. Can't officially sign before July 1, but he can announce where he is playing, once he decides. Could be another nice College UFA for the Blackhawks.

Blackhawks and Wild are said to be the front runners.

Something else to note on Reilly is that his decision won't be based upon money at all. Basically, every team is going to be offering him the same amount of money (for the most part) because it will be for an ELC.

In order for the Blackhawks to compete next year and years after, it is going to be important that players on ELC's contribute to the team in a big way. Luckily the Blackhawks have a few guys who can possibly do that next year already.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I'm going off the generalfanager.com number which looks like it's at 69 million. So if Bettman who has been saying it's going to be around $71 million is right. Now we suddenly have an extra 2 million and 16-17 million for 9 guys. If Saad gets 5 of that, you now have 11-12 million for 8 guys.

I have a feeling someone else is going to be traded with Bickell and Sharp.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

The demise of the Blackhawks has been greatly exaggerated. Patrick Sharp is no longer close to the player he once was and Brian Bickell is as useless as tits on a bull. Their loss will be felt more in the hearts of fans than on the ice. Next year's cap will be around 71-71.5mil as it looks like the players will vote for the 5% escalator. Assuming that, here's what we're looking at next year (cap hits in mil):

1st Line:
Panarin (.85) / Toews (10.5) / Hossa (5.275)

2nd Line:
Saad (4.5) / Teravainan (.9) / Kane (10.5)

3rd Line:
Baun/Hartman (.85) / Richards (2.2) / Shaw (2)

4th Line:
Desjardins (.9) / Kruger (2) / Baun/Hartman (.85)

DP 1:
Keith (5.54) / Seabrook (5.8)

DP 2:
Hjalmarrson (4.1) / Johns (.85)

DP 3:
Reilly/Pokka (.85) / van Riemsdyk (.925)

Goalies:
Crawford (6)
Darling (.6)

Black aces: 2.5mil

That's 23 guys under contract for just under 69mil, and a good mix of prime players, vets, and young guys who are ready & knocking on the door. There's balance in size, skill, and responsibility across all four lines and in all defensive pairings. It's going to be a more youthful roster than we're used to seeing, but the Hawks have too many guys ready to make the jump from the AHL to do anything but give them playing time.

People are fretting the Saad contract too much. He wants to stay and will most likely sign a 3-4 year bridge contract that gives him a chance to hit the UFA market + a huge raise entering his prime at 26-27 years old and when the cap is much higher than it is now. His agent isn't stupid and isn't going to let him sign a 6-7 deal at 22 in a poor cap escalation year.

Bowman telegraphed that he wants to bring Desjardins and Kruger back, and people are also overestimating their value on the market. Defensive-oriented bottom 6 players just don't get big money.

The interesting question is what to do with Seabrook. He's entering the final year of his contract and if they resign him he could be around +6mil going forward. That's clearly too much (he's overpaid now as it is) because they have to plan for the worst (as in Panarin, TT, Johns all go bonkers before RFA), so keeping Seabs means they're forced to deal Crawford in 2016. Maybe if Darling is ready that works out, but you've still got an overpaid Seabs going forward. Or, they deal Seabs now at peak value and get a big return in draft picks/solid prime players to maintain depth, and keep the goalie depth. What a gut punch that would be though.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
That's actually not a bad lineup at all and comes in at $65,965,000. Hell, you could easily bring back Oduya for 3-4 million and still be under a potential $71 million cap, though you'd have to give up a bit on the depth option of a 23 man roster and go to a 21 or 22, but it's not like we haven't done that before with guys like Skille.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The demise of the Blackhawks has been greatly exaggerated. Patrick Sharp is no longer close to the player he once was and Brian Bickell is as useless as tits on a bull. Their loss will be felt more in the hearts of fans than on the ice. Next year's cap will be around 71-71.5mil as it looks like the players will vote for the 5% escalator. Assuming that, here's what we're looking at next year (cap hits in mil):

1st Line:

2nd Line:

3rd Line:

4th Line:

DP 1:

DP 2:

DP 3:

Goalies:
Crawford (6)
Darling (.6)

That's 23 guys under contract for just under 69mil, and a good mix of prime players, vets, and young guys who are ready & knocking on the door. There's balance in size, skill, and responsibility across all four lines and in all defensive pairings. It's going to be a more youthful roster than we're used to seeing, but the Hawks have too many guys ready to make the jump from the AHL to do anything but give them playing time.

People are fretting the Saad contract too much. He wants to stay and will most likely sign a 3-4 year bridge contract that gives him a chance to hit the UFA market + a huge raise entering his prime at 26-27 years old and when the cap is much higher than it is now. His agent isn't stupid and isn't going to let him sign a 6-7 deal at 22 in a poor cap escalation year.

Bowman telegraphed that he wants to bring Desjardins and Kruger back, and people are also overestimating their value on the market. Defensive-oriented bottom 6 players just don't get big money.

The interesting question is what to do with Seabrook. He's entering the final year of his contract and if they resign him he could be around +6mil going forward. That's clearly too much (he's overpaid now as it is) because they have to plan for the worst (as in Panarin, TT, Johns all go bonkers before RFA), so keeping Seabs means they're forced to deal Crawford in 2016. Maybe if Darling is ready that works out, but you've still got an overpaid Seabs going forward. Or, they deal Seabs now at peak value and get a big return in draft picks/solid prime players to maintain depth, and keep the goalie depth. What a gut punch that would be though.

You have Panarin slotted on the 1st line, the guy has never played 1 minute of NHL hockey......OK, we'll see how that plays out after training camp. Hossa could start showing his age and not be 1st line worthy. Reilly, not signed anywhere :dunno:. Lots of moves to be made by Stan, this is his most challenging off season yet.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You have Panarin slotted on the 1st line, the guy has never played 1 minute of NHL hockey......OK, we'll see how that plays out after training camp. Hossa could start showing his age and not be 1st line worthy. Reilly, not signed anywhere :dunno:. Lots of moves to be made by Stan, this is his most challenging off season yet.

Nitpick the lines and pairings all you want, those are going to be the players in all likelihood, and their cap hits. Panarin was signed to be a top 6 player, and he's not a true rookie. Go Saad / Toews / Kane and then Panarin / TT/ Hossa if that makes you feel better. The point is there is significant talent in that roster, and its young and fast talent to boot.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
I know, he'd be such a lag playing next to Crosby or Malkin

What's their cap situation? Teams that pay multiple stars big money are going to have trouble signing a guy like Saad, I would assume.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:

1st Line:

2nd Line:

3rd Line:

4th Line:

DP 1:

DP 2:

DP 3:

Goalies:
Crawford (6)
Darling (.6)

Don't forget about Mark McNeill. Probably would have gotten time this season if not for injuries. You'r also penciling in a D-man we haven't signed and omitting Paliotta.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Don't forget about Mark McNeill. Probably would have gotten time this season if not for injuries. You'r also penciling in a D-man we haven't signed and omitting Paliotta.

From everything that I've read the Hawks have cooled on McNeill and it's likely that he's shipped out of town as a sweetener for whatever team picks up Bickell's contract, which is why I left him off this roster projection. They're much higher on Baun and Hartman, and in fact Bowman and Q have both spoken glowingly of Baun despite his limited playing time.

As for Reilly, if it's not him it's Pokka or one of the other fringe D-men the Hawks have in Rockford. My sense on Paliotta is that he needs more development time in Rockford, but there's going to be some young guy who comes in and impresses during TC like TVR did last year. Could be any of the bunch.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
That's actually not a bad lineup at all and comes in at $65,965,000. Hell, you could easily bring back Oduya for 3-4 million and still be under a potential $71 million cap, though you'd have to give up a bit on the depth option of a 23 man roster and go to a 21 or 22, but it's not like we haven't done that before with guys like Skille.

The thing with bringing back Oduya is the problem it causes in 2016-2017 which is when the Seabrook/Crawford issue I alluded to boils over. Add Oduya into the mix and you're talking about potentially losing a guy like Teravainan for the sake of a 30+ year old D-man when the Hawks have much younger, cheaper players coming up with more upside.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Regarding the inevitable Patrick Sharp trade, a deal that's really intriguing and makes some sense is sending him to Florida in exchange for Trocheck + picks instead of just a boatload of picks. The Panthers are up against the cap floor and need to spend money as well as add a scoring winger. It reunites Sharp with Tallon, who first brought him to the Blackhawks and who has shown a tremendous fondness for bringing his former guys. Florida is deep at C and Trocheck is a good player who's buried on their depth chart, plus he's cheap (600k this year then RFA next year).

Trocheck would become the 3rd Line C and that means they don't have to bring Richards back, who's not an ideal fit on the 3rd Line anyways. It also lets them keep Kruger on the 4th Line where he excels instead of moving him up and having to play a rookie like Danault as the 4th C.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
TSN was saying the Caps would be a good fit for Sharp

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
The thing with bringing back Oduya is the problem it causes in 2016-2017 which is when the Seabrook/Crawford issue I alluded to boils over. Add Oduya into the mix and you're talking about potentially losing a guy like Teravainan for the sake of a 30+ year old D-man when the Hawks have much younger, cheaper players coming up with more upside.

I don't see Seabs and Crawford getting extensions that are above their current salaries. If we can keep Raanta this off season, you have a chance at a Raanta/Darling combo.

Hell, one of the reasons Darling stayed up was so Raanta could get game action down in Rockford.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
TSN was saying the Caps would be a good fit for Sharp

Really, I want to see the Hawks get a 1st round pick out of one of these teams if they are giving up Sharp. Hell, we got the caps to take Brouwer for a late 1st rounder.

I could see the Caps making that deal as they don't have any LW outside of ovechkin and Johansson and with Ward becoming a UFA they could use Sharp.

Florida is another obvious choice since they have shit for LWers.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I don't see Seabs and Crawford getting extensions that are above their current salaries. If we can keep Raanta this off season, you have a chance at a Raanta/Darling combo.

Hell, one of the reasons Darling stayed up was so Raanta could get game action down in Rockford.

If Seabrook wants to flex his financial muscle he can hit the UFA market and he will most definitely command more money than he's making now. Quality D-men don't hit the open market often and when they do they get paid, and it will be his last chance for a big contract. Some desperate team will throw 6.5mil at him, and that's barely a 10% raise over what he's making now and he probably feels like he's earned at least that much.

What I'm saying is that the Hawks are not in the driver's seat when it comes to his future. Maybe he wants to stay and will take a discount. But if he wants to stay plus a raise, or he wants one last big payday, it's going to be almost impossible to keep him without giving up another key cog.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
If Seabrook wants to flex his financial muscle he can hit the UFA market and he will most definitely command more money than he's making now. Quality D-men don't hit the open market often and when they do they get paid, and it will be his last chance for a big contract. Some desperate team will throw 6.5mil at him, and that's barely a 10% raise over what he's making now and he probably feels like he's earned at least that much.

What I'm saying is that the Hawks are not in the driver's seat when it comes to his future. Maybe he wants to stay and will take a discount. But if he wants to stay plus a raise, or he wants one last big payday, it's going to be almost impossible to keep him without giving up another key cog.

Which at that point, you let him walk. I like him as a player, but he's not worth more than Keith and he isn't worth that big of a salary on a cash capped team.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Really, I want to see the Hawks get a 1st round pick out of one of these teams if they are giving up Sharp. Hell, we got the caps to take Brouwer for a late 1st rounder.

I could see the Caps making that deal as they don't have any LW outside of ovechkin and Johansson and with Ward becoming a UFA they could use Sharp.

Florida is another obvious choice since they have shit for LWers.

How about Trocheck and a 2nd for Sharp?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

I think it says a lot that the Blackhawks didn't bring McNeill up to be one of their "black aces" in the playoffs. Personally, I'm not a big fan of McNeill or Danault at the NHL level. Don't know why some people were gushing over Danault after his games last year...I just didn't see it. If the Blackhawks do keep them, hopefully I am wrong.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I think it says a lot that the Blackhawks didn't bring McNeill up to be one of their "black aces" in the playoffs. Personally, I'm not a big fan of McNeill or Danault at the NHL level. Don't know why some people were gushing over Danault after his games last year...I just didn't see it. If the Blackhawks do keep them, hopefully I am wrong.

I was told by someone who watched McNeill play in Rockford a bit this year that he's not the type of play Q is going to like. Heard as soon as he gets the puck he's just trying to take it all the way down on his own.

Dandault I could see being a 4th line center as of right now though.