2015 Baseball Hall of Fame elections

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Longevity is an elite standard to me. Guys that stink don't play long

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Lee Smith has no business in the hall of fame, IMO.

The Hall has become, for many, a reward for staying healthy and accumulating stats.

He was a good closer who pitched a long time. But at no time was he a shut down closer who you knew would get the save. He was durable, and accumulated a lot of saves. But he was nowhere near the caliber of the closers in the HOF.

He had the career saves record at the time of his retirment, I would think that would have helped him get in. A lot of career record holders get in.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Longevity is an elite standard to me. Guys that stink don't play long

There are hundreds of players who played 15+ years that aren't in the HOF.

Yes, you have to be major league quality for a long time in order to stick. That doesn't mean HOF quality.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The announcement of immortality will come for some later this afternoon at 2PM. If your vote counted, who would you be inducting today for the Hall?

My ballot:

Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
Craig Biggio
John Smoltz
Tim Raines
Jeff Bagwell
Mike Piazza
Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Curt Schilling

Guys who I left off but feel are deserving of strong consideration. Again, the ballot limit is 10 inductees.

Gary Sheffield
Mike Mussina
Edgar Martinez
Jeff Kent

ive noticed a lot of people including bonds and Clemens but not sosa. IMO if you include bonds and Clemens, then you have to include sosa. you cant have a biased view of which PED users you like and which ones you don't. if you ignore PED's for one or more players than you have to ignore it for all players and in that case sosa's numbers warrant first ballot HOF. personally, i would leave sosa, Clemens, bonds, and all other known PED users off.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Watching baseball guys discuss the HOF, it seems to me there are so many who want every player to get in. But I admit this year's ballot had a lot of guys who should at least get serious consideration.

Congrats to the 4 who were elected. (I cringe at Biggio as HOF'er, but will relent)

It is odd how some guys are almost slam dunks and other, very comparable players barely get any consideration. Biggio just missed 1st ballot election, and got in easily this year, yet Jeff Kent never gets close and Kent was every bit as good as Biggio.
You cringe at a guy getting into the Hall with over 3000 hits and you don't understand the difference between Kent and Biggio? Kent is Hall of Very Good.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There are hundreds of players who played 15+ years that aren't in the HOF.

Yes, you have to be major league quality for a long time in order to stick. That doesn't mean HOF quality.

No, but that is the first mark that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Liked Posts:
You cringe at a guy getting into the Hall with over 3000 hits and you don't understand the difference between Kent and Biggio? Kent is Hall of Very Good.

Biggio is in because he's more "famous."

Btw, I just looked it up and Biggio only hit .300 four times.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I know. I am not crying over kent not getting in. But he seemed to be more of a threat as an opponent than Biggio.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Biggio is in because he's more "famous."

Btw, I just looked it up and Biggio only hit .300 four times.

Biggio also displayed little power over his first ten years, then suddenly, at age 35, started hitting HR's in the middle of the steroid era.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No, but that is the first mark that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Yes, I understand only very god players last that long. My point wasn't that BAD players play 20 years. my point is playing 20 years shouldn't automatically get you in the hall. Otherwise, we'd have Mike Morgan, Jamie Moyer, Rusty Staub, etc. All good players, but not HOF.

cbfan

Liked Posts:
Wasn't Jeff Bagwell a roid guy? Or am I confusing him with Buff Bagwell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Biggio also displayed little power over his first ten years, then suddenly, at age 35, started hitting HR's in the middle of the steroid era.
The increase in power couldn't have anything to do with playing in a pitchers park at home and then moving into a hitter friendly park with closer fences later in his career? Tony Gwynn got a bit of a power surge toward the end of his career for a couple of seasons and much of it he credited to a conversation he had with Ted Williams in the off-season. We should just assume it was roids, right? ;)

Liked Posts:

You might want to check to see if the timing lines up with the time they moved from the astrodome to Enron. Enron is a bandbox especially compared to the old astrodome.

Nevermind-Paraderain already mentioned this.

Liked Posts:
Wasn't Jeff Bagwell a roid guy? Or am I confusing him with Buff Bagwell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think his girlfriend/wife did some tell all about him.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The increase in power couldn't have anything to do with playing in a pitchers park at home and then moving into a hitter friendly park with closer fences later in his career? Tony Gwynn got a bit of a power surge toward the end of his career for a couple of seasons and much of it he credited to a conversation he had with Ted Williams in the off-season. We should just assume it was roids, right? ;)

You just hit upon the real tragedy of the steroids era; it made everyone a suspect. Now no increase in power can ever be looked at it without at least the suspicion of PEDs. Just for the record I'm not making a judgement on that fact either way, just saying it is what it is.