2015 cubs in season trades

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Richard, 31, was originally a 2005 White Sox Draft pick, and he has pitched in 147 games in the big leagues, making 129 starts. He has made Major League appearances for the White Sox and Padres, and he was 4-2 with a 2.09 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A Indianapolis this year.

I've had nothing against the guy. At least he is a vet vs a unproven starter. With Wada out with a shoulder injury they needed a more stable solution to bridge the gap to the trade deadline.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Cubs just got Clayton Richard from Pittsburgh for cash. Hopefully not a lot of cash. The former White Sox lefty last pitched in MLB in 2013 with an ERA over 7. I believe he starts tomorrow. Here's hoping the Cubs score some runs or this could really be ugly.

Ron Burgundy

Chicago Cubs acquire pitcher Clayton Richard

richard1280_yxf2iye1_dh8ugguv-e1435981225891.jpg

The Chicago Cubs have acquired left-handed pitcher Clayton Richard from the Pittsburgh Pirates for cash considerations. Richard is set to make his Cubs debut immediately, stepping in for the injured Tsuyoshi Wada for*the Cubs game against the Miami Marlins Saturday evening.Richard, 31, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2013 with the San Diego Padres, but has enjoyed a resurgence of sorts with the Pirates' Triple-A affiliate in Indianapolis this season, going 4-2 with a 2.09 ERA.While Richard is technically stepping in for Wada, he's also replacing pitcher Donn Roach who was previously scheduled to take the start. It probably speaks to just how unimpressed the Cubs were with Roach's debut performance against the St. Louis Cardinals back on June 27 --3.1 IP, 8 H, 4 R-- because Richard*hardly qualifies as the type of piece the Cubs front office is referring to when they talk about their desire to add starting pitching before the trade deadline.Richard's last full performance was June 16, 2013. He went eight innings, giving up a run on seven hits.Maybe he'll pick up where he left off.

More...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Keep an eye on Oakland. .
Besides the Kazmir watch, i hear josh reddick not happy with his playing time there. .
Now that would be sweet...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Keep an eye on Oakland. .
Besides the Kazmir watch, i hear josh reddick not happy with his playing time there. .
Now that would be sweet...

Josh Reddick would be ideal in LF.

Beane is number crunching and Josh is hitting .330 vs RH, .152 vs LH. So Beane is forcing Bob Melvin to sit him. Josh is not taking to it.

This just leads me to believe Billy is trying to win games vs build up his trade value. Josh is just like any player that wants to play every day. In view of this Billy has not tossed in the towel yet.

The only way Josh and end this stuff is to work on his approach vs LH pitching. .152 BA vs them is not going to win any arguments.

He would be in a platoon in LF here if they did trade for him. The same boat they are in with Cogs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Josh Reddick would be ideal in LF.

I honestly don't feel it's much of an upgrade. Reddick is hitting .290 /.350/.470 with 11 HRs in 306 PAs. Cogs is hitting .255/.353/.433 with 8 HRs in 267 PAs. Cogs also has 4 more steals. And it's also worth keeping in mind that Cogs numbers to start the season weren't amazing which means the past month or two he's been even better. Reddick has maybe slightly more power but I'm just not seeing enough difference overall to warrant giving something up. Also keep in mind that the plan coming into the year was seemingly to platoon Cogs and Deno but because of injuries to Deno early and Soler now that hasn't happened. Cogs is hitting .268/.363/.459 vs rightes with all 8 of his homers coming vs righties in 240 PAs. Deno is hitting .300/.364/.400 vs lefties albeit in a super small 22 PA sample size. However, he's a career .292/.359/.429 hitter against lefties so again that's not really unprecedented.

A Cogs/Deno LF platoon is probably a 3+ win player(they are already worth 2 fWAR) and that's before you talk about the possibility of Schwarber at the 40 man roster expansion. I don't like the idea of paying anything of real value for that sort of upgrade in Reddick. He's not a terrible starter but he's also not good enough that you're going to plant him there in 2016 and say "we're set."

The more I'm looking at the trade market and the more I look at the cubs I'm honestly thinking it might be quiet in so far as we're talking about the cubs. I definitely could see them adding to the bullpen and bench. But it seems pretty clear with the Richard movie that there presently isn't anything out there worth the price. Unless someone makes a Sonny Gray type player available I'm starting to think the cubs just try to manufacture a starter out of Richards and wait until the offseason.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I honestly don't feel it's much of an upgrade. Reddick is hitting .290 /.350/.470 with 11 HRs in 306 PAs. Cogs is hitting .255/.353/.433 with 8 HRs in 267 PAs. Cogs also has 4 more steals. And it's also worth keeping in mind that Cogs numbers to start the season weren't amazing which means the past month or two he's been even better. Reddick has maybe slightly more power but I'm just not seeing enough difference overall to warrant giving something up. Also keep in mind that the plan coming into the year was seemingly to platoon Cogs and Deno but because of injuries to Deno early and Soler now that hasn't happened. Cogs is hitting .268/.363/.459 vs rightes with all 8 of his homers coming vs righties in 240 PAs. Deno is hitting .300/.364/.400 vs lefties albeit in a super small 22 PA sample size. However, he's a career .292/.359/.429 hitter against lefties so again that's not really unprecedented.

A Cogs/Deno LF platoon is probably a 3+ win player(they are already worth 2 fWAR) and that's before you talk about the possibility of Schwarber at the 40 man roster expansion. I don't like the idea of paying anything of real value for that sort of upgrade in Reddick. He's not a terrible starter but he's also not good enough that you're going to plant him there in 2016 and say "we're set."

The more I'm looking at the trade market and the more I look at the cubs I'm honestly thinking it might be quiet in so far as we're talking about the cubs. I definitely could see them adding to the bullpen and bench. But it seems pretty clear with the Richard movie that there presently isn't anything out there worth the price. Unless someone makes a Sonny Gray type player available I'm starting to think the cubs just try to manufacture a starter out of Richards and wait until the offseason.

I agree with this. Face it, boys...we'd all love to see this team get into the playoffs and that can still happen but no way will they fight through the Cardinals, Pittsburgh, Dodghers and Giants to get to the WS. They're coming but they're not there yet. Reddick would be a rental as he's on the last year of his contract and as beckdawg stated...he's a marginal upgrade at best. Right now, they're trying a little patchwork...that's fine but unless they get some over the top offer, I think it's wise to stay status quo till this team grows up a bit.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I agree with this. Face it, boys...we'd all love to see this team get into the playoffs and that can still happen but no way will they fight through the Cardinals, Pittsburgh, Dodghers and Giants to get to the WS. They're coming but they're not there yet. Reddick would be a rental as he's on the last year of his contract and as beckdawg stated...he's a marginal upgrade at best. Right now, they're trying a little patchwork...that's fine but unless they get some over the top offer, I think it's wise to stay status quo till this team grows up a bit.
First.. you dont hire maddon to stay put and not try to win
Young team or not...

With struggling key players, busted up bench, etc..
Their still above .500 and a playoff team halfway through season. .

Add a solid starter and upgraded bat in LF and who knows
anything can happen in playoffs. .

Reddick is in an Arb year, he not a FA til after 2016. .

Only reason id prefer Reddick over Cogs is i think Reddick is more of a run producer then Cogs in middle of order ..
If maddon prefers rizzo and bryant at 2 and 3, they need a couple guys to drive in runs behind them..

Montero starting to be that guy... hopefully Soler will be...

Reddick or someone else that can produce runs would be a nice addition to middle of order..

too many times we seen the 6 n 7 hitter come up with RISP and not produce. ..

I said b4 i can live with cogs but only if maddon bats him 2nd and take advantage of his OBP , and then everyone else drops one spot...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't understand why anyone would want to trade assets for a guy who is basically a one trick pony.....he's been crabbing about playing time when he's hitting .150 vs LH pitching. We already have a guy who does that. How many lefthanded hitting left fielders do you need? He's played one full season in his career....I'm not a big A's or Red Sox fan, so I'll guess it was injuries. That one full season he struck out 151 times....don't the Cubs have enough guys striking out already? Sorry, I'll stay with Cogs.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

The FO is being rather quiet on the player front. While I believe that a pitcher is coming, the waiver deadline might be an area in which they could pick up someone late. They were adamant about being done in the off-season, and then they were real players late for James Shields.

Anything can happen with this FO.

It's too bad that Baez went down. I would have like to have seen him throw his hat in the ring. I think a Baez/Schwarber platoon in LF, with Schwarber and Baez spot starting in other positions to get reps would be intriguing at the end of the year and let them take a few more blows at the parent level.

And frankly, I would rather have Coghlan in CF if he could man it. Fowler's OBP is sucking to say the least, and not what you typically want from a lead-off position.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think a Baez/Schwarber platoon in LF, with Schwarber and Baez spot starting in other positions to get reps would be intriguing at the end of the year and let them take a few more blows at the parent level.

I sincerely doubt that platoon would ever happen. You want one or the other taking full time at bats not both taking half at bats. That's largely the reason Alcantara is in the minors right now. Herrera isn't clearly better and obviously Alcantara has way more potential. But you don't bring up high quality prospects to ride the bench that much. I mean perhaps after AAA season concludes but you're talking about maybe 20 games if memory serves for that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I actually think by this time next year,..
Baez, Alcantara, and possibly Schwarber will all be traded

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If that's the case, then Jose Fernandez better be coming.
Didn't say theyd be traded together or same time..

See them being moved between this deadline, off season, and next deadline ..

Just that i see at least baez and Alcantara moved and possibly Schwarber, depending on their plan for him..

I personally don't see him in LF and unless they plan on moving montero in off season, he not gonna get much PT behind the dish...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Didn't say theyd be traded together or same time..

See them being moved between this deadline, off season, and next deadline ..

Just that i see at least baez and Alcantara moved and possibly Schwarber, depending on their plan for him..

I personally don't see him in LF and unless they plan on moving montero in off season, he not gonna get much PT behind the dish...

Well, IF Schwarber is moved, you bet a TOR pitcher will be joining the Cubs.

Personally, I think Schwarber goes nowhere as he will be an important piece moving forward. Besides, the Cubs can afford pitching when you have guys like Schwarber and Bryant on the team making the league minimum before their ARB years.

I still think Castro is the one that will be moved in the off-season.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
FWIW, I still think the Cubs will go after Mat Latos.

Not because of the way he pitched today, but he has very solid potential to at least be a number two. I can also see the Cubs trying to bring back Andrew Cashner for the same reasons, although Cashber's splits are not very good away from Petco.

Either way, I think they will go as young as possible as I see them not going after any of the big dogs like Price or Cueto.

Zimmermann is good, don't get me wrong and would be a welcomed sight, but Latos figures to be a better value and he's two years younger.

In fact, of the Washington pitchers, I might have to take a chance on Doug Fister before Zimmermann even though he is 31 and doesn't fit the young mold type.

Just my opinion.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Well, IF Schwarber is moved, you bet a TOR pitcher will be joining the Cubs.

Personally, I think Schwarber goes nowhere as he will be an important piece moving forward. Besides, the Cubs can afford pitching when you have guys like Schwarber and Bryant on the team making the league minimum before their ARB years.

I still think Castro is the one that will be moved in the off-season.
I only see Schwarber being moved as of now cause i just dont see a legit plan for him position wise...

There no doubt he going to hit and his bat should have him up later this year if not at start of next year...

Question is, where do the cubs see him as an everyday player ?

LF? They haven't played him in LF since he was promoted to AA last year.. youd think if they planned on him in LF theyd at least have him playing some games there to keep him fresh.

Just have to question that.....

Catcher? They have Montero (31) for 2 more years.
Are they planning to trade Montero in off season and hand it over to an unproven rookie to catch a young team looking to compete? Doubt they go with 2 LH catchers splitting time behind the dish

Just have to question that...

Trade bait ? Their set at catcher with Montero if they choose for next 2 years and they can easily get an everyday LF via trade or FA til one of the others from system is ready..

If they choose to go the trade route for a TOR type starter over trying to outbid for a FA, Schwarber would be the guy to center that move on....

I personally don't think they use him in LF and Catcher
1. Hard enough to come up and hit major league pitching as it is
2. Hard enough to come up and be a new catcher as it is

So just dont see them also having the kid learn and play LF while trying to learn and adjust to major league hitting and catching. Just too much for a rookie to handle at once

Just my opinion. ......

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you trade for Shark? Probably could get him for decently cheap