2015 cubs in season trades

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Would you trade for Shark? Probably could get him for decently cheap
Id consider it, i wouldn't resign him though

Doubt the sox would trade him to cubs though and maybe im wrong but didn't have some sour words to say when he left

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Id consider it, i wouldn't resign him though

Doubt the sox would trade him to cubs though and maybe im wrong but didn't have some sour words to say when he left

Naaahh....I want guys who want to be here. And pitchers who can get a W. :)

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No shark does not pitch well when things are on the line. He pitches well when there is no stress.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have had more talks about acquiring starting pitching than they have position players, though they would also like to add a left-handed hitting outfielder if the price is right, FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports.

Jake Arrieta, Jason Hammel, Jon Lester and Kyle Hendricks have all posted good to excellent results as Chicago’s top four starters, though the fifth spot has been a problem area. Tsuyoshi Wada has been effective when healthy but the southpaw is currently on the DL for the second time this season, while Travis Wood struggled in seven starts. Clayton Richard was acquired from the Pirates on Friday and threw a quality start on Saturday, though it’s hard to see Chicago counting on Richard as a stable option.

It’s possible the Cubs could target a big name on the pitching market, as Morosi writes that the team hopes to have an ace in the fold by the start of next season. To this end, the Cubs would be looking to acquire a pitcher under contract beyond this season (i.e. Cole Hamels) rather than a rental like Johnny Cueto, as if they get their top-of-the-rotation arm now, that would save them having to spend more time and money pursuing the likes of David Price this winter.

Morosi cites the Brewers’ Gerardo Parra and the Padres’ Will Venable as “two names to watch” as possible Cubs targets for their outfield need. Either would spell the switch-hitting Dexter Fowler against right-handed pitching. Fowler carried a tough .232/.308/.379 line into today’s action thanks in large part to a .660 OPS in 281 plate appearances against righties (but a healthy .833 OPS in 55 PA against lefties). Given the abundance of right-handed starters in the NL Central, a righty-mashing bat is a clear need for the Cubs.

Shortstop has become another problem area, as Starlin Castro‘s below-replacement level season (-0.3 fWAR entering today) makes Morosi wonder if Chicago would consider getting a veteran middle infielder to pair with Addison Russell. The problem is that Castro has minimal trade value right now given his poor performance and the roughly $41MM owed to him through the 2019 season.

from mlbtraderumors.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So maybe I just missed this but mlbtraderumors was talking about the cubs. Basically, Crane Kenney said the cubs had money to add players which was unsurprisingly. But they linked to a article from gordon wittenmyer I must have just missed which suggested a source told him roughly the following

One major league source said a few days ago the Cubs have talked to “literally every team” that is a potential match and a possible deadline seller, including the Mets and Angels. The Cubs aren’t willing to part with their highest-regarded prospects such as Kyle Schwarber or Addison Russell, but Javy Baez’s broken finger two weeks ago scuttled at least one possible trade, sources said. The Cubs’ ideal acquisition, said the first source, would be a young established starter with at least two or three years of club control left.

How true that is or not is hard to say. Andrew Heaney is an interesting possibility from the Angels. Remember a year and a half or so ago there were reports of the Marlins and cubs possibly getting together on a trade of hitting for pitching and Heaney was a Marlin then. The Mets options have been discussed to death. Though, i do find it interesting that the NY media is really laying into Alderson of late because he's not doing anything to find hitting. It'd be interesting if they made some sort of reactionary trade into the cubs leverage.

As for the other Angel pitchers, Garrett Richards and Hector Santiago could potentially be other options as both are 27. Santiago scares me though as he's vastly out pitched his FIP. Richards is decent but seems like a pretty small return if you're including Baez in a trade. So, it certainly feels as though it would have to be Heaney if the Angels were indeed the team in the quote.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Sox probably wouldn't trade to cubs but if im epstein, id give them a call to see if available. . What it would take to get Sales and Cabrera....

Id deal schwarber, baez, almora, edwards, and underwood and a couple other lower end kids if needed too..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sox probably wouldn't trade to cubs but if im epstein, id give them a call to see if available. . What it would take to get Sales and Cabrera....

Id deal schwarber, baez, almora, edwards, and underwood and a couple other lower end kids if needed too..

Don't think Cabrera is really worth while unless he's a must take to get Sale. He's hitting .262/.302/.335 and the Sox are on the hook for two more years at $14/15 mil. He's really never been much better than an average MLB player save for the two years he apparently was on PEDs. Think he'd have to be in the $7-10 mil range per season to be a good value. He's really not offering more than Cogs is and is significantly more expensive.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Don't think Cabrera is really worth while unless he's a must take to get Sale. He's hitting .262/.302/.335 and the Sox are on the hook for two more years at $14/15 mil. He's really never been much better than an average MLB player save for the two years he apparently was on PEDs. Think he'd have to be in the $7-10 mil range per season to be a good value. He's really not offering more than Cogs is and is significantly more expensive.
That true.. didn't realize they gave him that much...

Ok , just sales.. [emoji51]

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Would you trade for Shark? Probably could get him for decently cheap

Yeah, I'd trade a few of my niece's used diapers and some pubes for Samardzija.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Heard this being talked about and wanted to mention it..

We always think about the top prospects we know from AA and AAA that could be moved in big trades.

We forget about the top international players (17-19 YO) that were signed last couple years , that teams could be high on just as much as some top prospects. ..

So, if you consider those kids too.. cubs are pretty deep with trade chips

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Heard this being talked about and wanted to mention it..

We always think about the top prospects we know from AA and AAA that could be moved in big trades.

We forget about the top international players (17-19 YO) that were signed last couple years , that teams could be high on just as much as some top prospects. ..

So, if you consider those kids too.. cubs are pretty deep with trade chips

Well thing is with IFA's until they are 19 you really don't hear much about them. For example, one high IFA(Willy Adames) was part of the Price deal but I believe he was 19 at the time. In terms of the cubs, the only IFA that really has heat right now is Torres. He's in BA's top 50 midseason prospects. He's only 18 and part of the reason he's got heat right now is because how unusual it is for an 18 year old to crush the midwest league. I posted this in the prospect thread. Not sure if you've seen it or not but i'll repost

CI9AuQRWIAAkkbY.png:large

I would say though that Torres-like IFA's are an exception rather than a rule. Eloy Jimenez was part of the same class as Torres and while he's still pretty well thought of(some have compared him to a younger Soler), he's not nearly as talked about in trades. I think Eloy actually got more IFA money than Torres did. I think the crux of the issue is that it's hard to put value on an 18 year old. If you were to trade Jimenez today he could hit a growth spurt and be a totally amazing player a year from now and the value you got was now too low.

Take Torres for example. MLB.com has a 45 grade on his power so that roughly translates to them thinking he will hit 10-15 HRs. If he hits a growth spurt and develops say 55-60 grade power(15-25 HR range) you're not talking about potentially a top 10 prospect rather than a top 30 when you consider he's hitting over .300 presently. To an extent it's also why you rarely see PTBNL that were just drafted out of HS. AA in a lot of respects tends to be one of the harder jumps for players to make so teams often want to see players there before they talk on trades which ends up being why the talk is usually on AA/AAA guys.

If you think about how murky low-A and A can be you sort of see why. Typically short season A(low A) you will have recent IFA's(Jimneez for example) playing against college guys who were just drafted(Happ for example is in Eugene) and it starts around the end of june. So, often times the college age players will over match players 2-3 years younger than them before getting promoted to A in August or there about. That means it's hard to get a feel on how good some of the younger players are because they aren't necessarily facing like age competition. Honestly that's what makes what Torres is doing pretty impressive. The median age for the MWL is around 22 years old. On average he's 4 years younger than the players he's against and he's still crushing it. You have to consider that when talking about players. AAA average age tends to be 26. AA is 24. A+ is 23.5 and A is 22. Almora for example at 21 years 2 months is facing guys 3 years older than him a lot.

So, other than possibly Torres I don't think this year will have much talk of cubs IFAs. I honestly don't think the cubs would trade Torres right now unless the prefect trade came about because a year from now he could potentially be a top 10 prospect and "untouchable." However, possibly during the next winter or the next trade deadline guys like Jimnez/Tseng might be names brought up as trade fodder.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boy, I would give the farm for Jose Fernandez. Not really, but I would give the Marlins a shit ton. That guy hasn't missed a beat. I watched his first two starts back and he is just as filthy as before.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Boy, I would give the farm for Jose Fernandez. Not really, but I would give the Marlins a shit ton. That guy hasn't missed a beat. I watched his first two starts back and he is just as filthy as before.

I agree but I have no idea how you even start that trade. 3B is a big hole for them. Baez would seem to be the best realistic guy they could offer in regards to that. Vogelbach might interest them as their 1B is pretty weak but again he's iffy there. After that it's kind of a hard fit. Best idea i could come up with is Torres because while Hechavarria is having a decent year he's 26 and not really been amazing prior to this year. Torres is several years away so he'd be hitting the majors around with Hechavarria became a FA.

That's a pretty massive haul but honestly if I'm a miami fan still seems pretty light and it sorta relies on them having a pretty high opinion of Baez.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Marlins are telling teams that they are prepared to field offers for a variety of short-term assets, Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports. Specifically, Miami is prepared to find deals for pitchers Mat Latos, Dan Haren, and Brad Hand as well as utilityman Jeff Baker.

from mlbtraderumors.

Still think Latos is an interesting option depending on price obviously.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
from mlbtraderumors.

Still think Latos is an interesting option depending on price obviously.

Latos would be a solid move as you and I have mentioned. He would definitely be that guy who is borderline #2 to surefire #3 in the rotation.

I either want Kazmir, Latos, or possibly Cashner. Cashners splits away from Petco are a little disturbing, but a change of scenery and new pitching coach might iron out some things.

Regardless, all are going to cost something, but you won't be mortgaging the farm nor will you be getting into the high dollar free agency this off-season.

Hell, I don't care FO. Just get a good pitcher somewhere.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

IDK, to me a trade like that is going "all in" on this season. Has this team really shown enough to go all in on? I know Sale is probably gonna be good for awhile but still that's a big chunk of young talent getting moved...what happens if he blows out an elbow? I still say...stay the course which I'm fairly certain is what Theo will do.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree but I have no idea how you even start that trade. 3B is a big hole for them. Baez would seem to be the best realistic guy they could offer in regards to that. Vogelbach might interest them as their 1B is pretty weak but again he's iffy there. After that it's kind of a hard fit. Best idea i could come up with is Torres because while Hechavarria is having a decent year he's 26 and not really been amazing prior to this year. Torres is several years away so he'd be hitting the majors around with Hechavarria became a FA.

That's a pretty massive haul but honestly if I'm a miami fan still seems pretty light and it sorta relies on them having a pretty high opinion of Baez.

Was reading on Torres being ranked in BA's top 50 and seems a good number of scouts don't believe he will be a SS in the future.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I knew we should have went after Shark a couple of weeks ago. He is settling in and has been damn good for awhile. I think he has gone at least 7 his last 5 starts and shut out the Jays. The Jays offense is no joke.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- An MRI on Jason Hammel's left hamstring did not reveal anything wrong, and the Cubs right-hander is expected to avoid going on the disabled list. Manager Joe Maddon said Hammel will likely be the fifth starter in the rotation after the All-Star break to give him enough time to rehab.

Hammel had to leave Wednesday's start against the Cardinals in the first inning because of pain in his hamstring after throwing 12 pitches. He had the MRI on Thursday.
Even though Hammel is good to go, the scare of losing him may prompt the Cubs to be more active in their search for another starting pitcher prior to the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.

We know that will be our focus at the Deadline to try to add depth," Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said Friday. "It makes you realize every team, every pitcher can go down at any time."

The Cubs did get a solid outing from Dallas Beeler, who was called up for last Tuesday's doubleheader against the Cardinals, and Clayton Richard, who was acquired from the Pirates, did well in his only start this season against the Marlins.

"We've made a lot of phone calls like everyone has," Hoyer said. "I don't think things have kicked off yet for the trade market. The American League is so jumbled up, I don't think teams have 'declared' themselves yet, if you will."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wonder which AL teams he was thinking about?