2015 Cubs Offseason Discussion

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Well how about Wood (Cubs pay 1/2 his arb case), Edwards and Ramirez. Gives Wood a new opertunity and tigers would pay 2-3 mil for it. That nets a proven 5th starter. Edwards as the potential TOR prospect. Ramirez as a potential closer type at low cost. IMO that is a solid offer for 1 year of Price.

No it's not. Come on now. Get back to your great posts.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well how about Wood (Cubs pay 1/2 his arb case), Edwards and Ramirez. Gives Wood a new opertunity and tigers would pay 2-3 mil for it. That nets a proven 5th starter. Edwards as the potential TOR prospect. Ramirez as a potential closer type at low cost. IMO that is a solid offer for 1 year of Price.
The cubs aren't trading Edwards or Ramirez just to have a shot at being over .500 this season, imo.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The cubs aren't trading Edwards or Ramirez just to have a shot at being over .500 this season, imo.

True, but if Detroit somehow went crazy and said they'd take those two, Theo and crew would have Edards and Ramriez over there faster than Jimmy Johns delivers sandwiches.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Price would command more. CJ is nice, but there are many, many guys nicer. Sorry, Detroit swooped in and got Price on the low. Smart move for them. I don't see them making the same mistake that the Rays did. Especially since there is no reason for them to trade him now. Losing Max almost ensures David gets a fat contract from Detroit IMO. The Cubs would have to be talking top ready specs and they aren't willing to do it.

I disagree but that's what opinions are for. I'm looking at all sorts of factors, the need for younger prospects in two year or so, the PR hit if they had to trade Price in a pennant race and the price they paid for him. Dombrowski is also an unconventional guy who sometimes seems to be thinking two or three moves ahead at any given time. I don't think they necessarily got a steal for 18 months of Price in that they gave up an outfielder they liked and a potential TOR starter in Smyly who was already in the bigs. Yes it was a lot lower of a price (no pun intended) than Oakland paid in either pitching deal but Billy Beane really overpaid so I don't see that as a comp as much as I see it as a couple "go for it" moves that ended up being serious mistakes. In moving Price they face a market that has Cole Hamels available at under market contract for 4 years. Price has one year under market and then has to get paid. Does a win now team like Baltimore make a move for him knowing they won't re-sign him, or maybe Miami who has the prospects and with the addition of Price could the favorite in the NL East? Absolutely, and an overpayment is possible. I just think the Cubs could put a package together that makes sense. Will they? I guess we'll all see.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I disagree but that's what opinions are for. I'm looking at all sorts of factors, the need for younger prospects in two year or so, the PR hit if they had to trade Price in a pennant race and the price they paid for him. Dombrowski is also an unconventional guy who sometimes seems to be thinking two or three moves ahead at any given time. I don't think they necessarily got a steal for 18 months of Price in that they gave up an outfielder they liked and a potential TOR starter in Smyly who was already in the bigs. Yes it was a lot lower of a price (no pun intended) than Oakland paid in either pitching deal but Billy Beane really overpaid so I don't see that as a comp as much as I see it as a couple "go for it" moves that ended up being serious mistakes. In moving Price they face a market that has Cole Hamels available at under market contract for 4 years. Price has one year under market and then has to get paid. Does a win now team like Baltimore make a move for him knowing they won't re-sign him, or maybe Miami who has the prospects and with the addition of Price could the favorite in the NL East? Absolutely, and an overpayment is possible. I just think the Cubs could put a package together that makes sense. Will they? I guess we'll all see.
I think they could as well. No one has done that as of yet

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Completely off topic but even though I'm fairly new around these parts y'all are breath of fresh air in comparison to other places where Cubs fans gather. I like reading Jesse Rogers over on ESPN but I swear the posters there make me dumber bu osmosis.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
True, but if Detroit somehow went crazy and said they'd take those two, Theo and crew would have Edards and Ramriez over there faster than Jimmy Johns delivers sandwiches.
If that's all it took to get David Price? That's possible, but then you're trading away essentially the prizes of the Garza trade.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Or they might just feed the sandwiches to Edwards and wait for Price in free agency. that young man needs meat on his bones. Sorry it's been a long day.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Hope that's true, because the Cubs have to be expecting to bid more than that.

Maybe they bid more, but less years. And Lester will be a tough nut to sell to come to a team right now like the Cubs. Granted, they are way ahead of the game with the potential talent, and Rizzo and Castro are set at their positions (I think), but Boston was his home, and the fact that they have a good minor league system like the Cubs, he could step right back into familiarity with his old team mates and make more money than he has in the past. He has his two rings also.

The question might be, what is the lure to come to Chicago? The clubhouse isn't ready. The team isn't ready (not much different than Boston, but they are closer with the vets). And the FO for Boston is showing that they are willing to spend or be aggressive right now as evidenced with Rusney Castillo, and the laid out contract with Lester, and the apparent bid for Sandoval.

The Red Sox don't have to sell him much. The Cubs however, do.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Or they might just feed the sandwiches to Edwards and wait for Price in free agency. that young man needs meat on his bones. Sorry it's been a long day.

You know, I have always wondered about this. Outside of proper muscle development to stabilize the arm motion, I don't get the needing meat on his bones. Randy Johnson was an absolute stick.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maybe they bid more, but less years. And Lester will be a tough nut to sell to come to a team right now like the Cubs. Granted, they are way ahead of the game with the potential talent, and Rizzo and Castro are set at their positions (I think), but Boston was his home, and the fact that they have a good minor league system like the Cubs, he could step right back into familiarity with his old team mates and make more money than he has in the past. He has his two rings also.

The question might be, what is the lure to come to Chicago? The clubhouse isn't ready. The team isn't ready (not much different than Boston, but they are closer with the vets). And the FO for Boston is showing that they are willing to spend or be aggressive right now as evidenced with Rusney Castillo, and the laid out contract with Lester, and the apparent bid for Sandoval.

The Red Sox don't have to sell him much. The Cubs however, do.
I read that dempster been talking to him to join cubs...

Seeing he has won 2 rings in Boston already, a good sell for the cubs could be for him to try and win one for the long suffering franchise in Chicago ...

Dave Kaplan says his source told him that the cubs wont front or backload money for Lester, they willl pay out Whatever it averages to be and that they will be in on him til the end because they really want him..

He also says that the blue jays told Martin agent that even if cubs or dodgers match their 83 mil., they would raise it cause they wanted martin..

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If that Red Sox offer is true, not only will the Cubs beat that...The Braves will, the Cards will, the Yankees will, and you probably can't even count out other big spending teams that haven't been mentioned. If it's about the money, Lester is getting 6/140 from someone.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If that Red Sox offer is true, not only will the Cubs beat that...The Braves will, the Cards will, the Yankees will, and you probably can't even count out other big spending teams that haven't been mentioned. If it's about the money, Lester is getting 6/140 from someone.
That not the redsox final offer.. that was their starting offer

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Their starting offer was 4/$170, which should have insulted Lester to the point of not returning. But it didn't.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Boston would a bad choice. They will end up going into a rebuild after popi and Pedrodia get older. This team doesn't have a strong youth movement backing it.

Sure in the next 3 years Boston may have 1-2 shots at it but over a 6 year deal they would be getting long in the tooth. Cubs on the other hand are just getting started and 6 years they would be peaking. If I'm Lester I'm looking over a 6 year window and Boston would be in turn over 1/2 way through and Cubs would be a build up and peaking during contract.

On Price: It depends on if Wood bounces back. He is somewhere inbetween 2013-2014. He is not an All star for sure but he is not this 5.00+ ERA guy either. He had a few problems. BB went up by 1. He lost 1 MPH on his cutter. But most pitchers loose a mph or 2 when going with a cutter as a primary pitch. So control was the biggest issue and luck. Hos BABIP went up by 72 points IIR. That is beyond normal.

Like I said if he finds himself 1/2 way between where he was he makes a decent #5 starter in the league at a 2-3 mil cost. Ramirez and Edwards both have strong potential to be dominate players. Ramirez was shut down in which ever role he was put into and to boot did close and proved he can handle it. Edwards is a TOR potential. Most teams would want to see what he might become.

I personally do not believe that 1 year of any player is worth giving up a player like Bryant or Russell. Even Soler for that matter. All 3 could be all starts in a year or 2. And the Cubs would be looking like dumb asses if Price moved on.