2018 Bears - Perception does NOT equal Reality

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The perception is the Bears are having a great year in the genius HC's first year. The reality is they have been fortuitous and good fortune doesn't hold up for long, and Nagy's not a genius. The team has relied heavily on their weak schedule and league leading number of turnovers and, as we saw last Sunday, when that turnover advantage isn't there bad things happen. Same could be said of their loss to the faltering Dolphins.

For the most part, this year, the Bears have played solid football and limited mistakes while taking full advantage of the good field position provided by all the turnovers as well as penalties. Bears opponents have given up an average of 20 yards more in penalties per game. When all has gone well for them, it went very well and that helped boost the overall perception of the team as they blew out struggling teams in Buffalo and the Bucs and then recently secured 3 consecutive wins in divisional games. Then, of course, the wheels of the Chevy fell off in Jersey. Say good bye to any remote possibility of a bye. Time to look at the reality of the situation. Is this team really that good? Are its top players as good as perceived when the rose colored glasses are removed?

When the Bears brought in Khalil Mack, the perception was they were getting the best defensive player in the league and it instantly boosted their chances as SB contenders. The reality is he has not been the best defender in the league, does not occupy several blockers on every play, as perceived by many in these forii, and it's never wise to assume a player can play at that extremely high level he played at in the past. You seldom see players get DPOY more than once. Bears have only ever had 2 players win it and only 1 of them won it a second time. So, no, Mack is not way above all other defenders and has not had near his most productive season with the Bears. He has not been as disruptive as he was with the Raiders. In his DPOY year Mack led the league in amount of pressure (sacks+hits+hurries)put on opposing QBs. Last year he was second only to Von Miller. This year, with the Bears, he barely makes the top 15. While the Bears get their fair share of sacks, we usually have not seen the consistent pressure put on QBs. The effects of that were also seen in that last loss to the Giants. Yes, their QB was sacked 3 times but, other than those sacks, the completely immobile Eli was given a whole lot of time to pick his targets on most other pass plays.

With the Bears offense, the perception has been they've looked good, even very good, at times and their QB has established himself. The truth is the QB has only had about 4 good games out of the 10 and they were against weaker teams who were struggling. In the other 6 games, he has a rating of 73 with 6 TDs and 8 Ints. And he and the Bears offense have relied heavily on good field position provided by the defense. On plays in the Bears own end of the field, Trubisky has an 82 rating with 1 TD and 5 INTs. Bears would also do best to avoid close games with Mitchell. When there is a 1-8 point differential, Trubisky has a 79 rating with 7 TDs and 6 Ints.

As we enter the final 4 game stretch, the Bears have but one sure win left in the current worst NFL team, SanFran. The other 3 games will be tough. The Packers are the worst, but Rodgers is done tanking for the removal of McCarthy so will be going all out to beat the Bears again. Despite the manner in which CCS twits minimized the loss to the Giants, it comes with serious repercussions. It is now more likely that the final game of the season, when the Bears drive the wobbly wheeled Maserati to Minnesota, will be the deciding factor as to who will win the division and have home field advantage on WC weekend. In such a scenario, a home win by Minnesota would mean they'd, again, have home field advantage if they play the Bears a third time in the playoffs.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
A few lines in and, as I understand it, you have Khalil Mack as a disappointment this season?

Is this real life?

Are you huffing before posting?

Can't they both be having a wonderful yr with a wonderful new coach and be the benefactors of an admittedly weak schedule?

I had the Bears around 6.5 wins this yr, so if they get to 10, even allowing for a weak schedule, that's a great yr. You can try to spin that with soft prose and logical fallacies galore, but in the end this has been a great yr.

If this is a troll, you probably could have written less....

Seems like a lot of mindless drivel using inane strawmanning, like "we expected the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER..."

I know I didn't necessarily think KM had to be the very best player on that side of the ball to be well worth the contract/cost. I am pretty certain you thought many on here would take the bait on that, but it's just an old parlor trick. KM has been exceptional and had a huge impact on defense; the fact some dude in LA is playing out of his mind has really nothing to do with that.

I probably won't read the rest. Just the same old football dumbness from the football dumb who post a lot on here.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's just pissed that Daniel crashed and burned.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Same wins as last two seasons combined with four to play....
I’m good with current the path.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
He's just pissed that Daniel crashed and burned.

Yes, it is always shocking when backups at QB play poorly in the NFL.

Football dumb is football dumb....

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
A few lines in and, as I understand it, you have Khalil Mack as a disappointment this season?

Is this real life?

Are you huffing before posting?

Can't they both be having a wonderful yr with a wonderful new coach and be the benefactors of an admittedly weak schedule?

I had the Bears around 6.5 wins this yr, so if they get to 10, even allowing for a weak schedule, that's a great yr. You can try to spin that with soft prose and logical fallacies galore, but in the end this has been a great yr.

If this is a troll, you probably could have written less....

Seems like a lot of mindless drivel using inane strawmanning, like "we expected the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER..."

I know I didn't necessarily think KM had to be the very best player on that side of the ball to be well worth the contract/cost. I am pretty certain you thought many on here would take the bait on that, but it's just an old parlor trick. KM has been exceptional and had a huge impact on defense; the fact some dude in LA is playing out of his mind has really nothing to do with that.

I probably won't read the rest. Just the same old football dumbness from the football dumb who post a lot on here.
Not a troll. This is reality. Welcome to reality, where have you been?

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Not a troll. This is reality. Welcome to reality, where have you been?

Working, investing....trying to get that paper for my 40's and 50's.

Take a breath, think about what you realistically thought this team was going to be at the start of the season.

This is good. If you want to single out posters whose expectations unsurprisingly gone bonkers, fine.

But saying this is all smoke and mirrors and scheduling and KM has been a disappointment; well, that reeks of trolling or just being high.

p.s.

R.I.P. Urban Meyer.....**pours one out for the homie**

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
Working, investing....trying to get that paper for my 40's and 50's.

Take a breath, think about what you realistically thought these team was going to be at the start of the season.

This is good. If you want to single out posters whose expectations unsurprisingly gone bonkers, fine.

But saying this is all smoke and mirrors and scheduling and KM has been a disappointment; well, that reeks of trolling or just being high.

p.s.

R.I.P. Urban Meyer.....**pours one out for the homie**

He’s been trolling all season. Good for him though if that’s where he gets his jollies.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Many things went wrong that game. I'd actually blame the HC most of all.

That is a bad take.

Daniel imploded on himself. He missed wide open WRs and running lanes on just about every play. Let alone the 6 turnover worth plays.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Says the guy who didn't know the difference between a QB rating and ESPN's QBR til I taught him. Where's the gratitude, son?

First of all it’s called passer rating dumb ass. Second of all you didn’t want to factor in QBR because Chevy’s was 11. Out of 100. And you also didn’t want to consider his four fumbles because none of them were recovered by the defense. You also said there were many games that Mitch played were “statistically worse” than the the game your Chevy just played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is a bad take.

Daniel imploded on himself. He missed wide open WRs and running lanes on just about every play. Let alone the 6 turnover worth plays.
Seen Mitch miss a ton of open receivers as well. Bears had 1 man on that crap team to stop. Not only weren't they prepared to stop him but their HC got him started. Then Bears get the running game going with Howard and HC shuts him down. And a team that consistently plays worse in the second half is indicative of bad coaching as well.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Mods why do we actually let idiots like spartan pollute the bears board? He does nothing but troll and adds nothing of value to this place.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
First of all it’s called passer rating dumb ass. Second of all you didn’t want to factor in QBR because Chevy’s was 11. Out of 100. And you also didn’t want to consider his four fumbles because none of them were recovered by the defense. You also said there were many games that Mitch played were “statistically worse” than the the game your Chevy just played.

Hahaha. You know nothing. QB Rating and passer rating are synonymous with those who know about it at all.

There are about 10 games Mitch has had that are statistically worse than the one Daniel just had. That's just a fact and people like you fear facts.