2018 Bears - Perception does NOT equal Reality

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Winning the turnover battle and gaining good field position does win you games and titles. Direct relationship. Look it up, you will see.

So saying that the Bears are winning for this reason, is in fact kind of silly. Spartan - when the Bears beat the Rams next Sunday night, will you post that things look great, or will you search for another angle of attack?

BTW- I still prefer humor on here and enjoy your posts.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are certainly welcome to your opinion, however it is wrong on a few counts.

A lot of good teams rely on turnovers...that is generally what makes them good teams. With few exceptions, most of the playoff teams are positive over the years. Part of being a good team is taking away the ball more than the opponent. It seems you are trying to provoke the notion that a team is only really good when it overcomes a bunch of turnovers regularly. That is false and has statistically a fact in the NFL.

Again you somehow want to bring up the fact that the Bears play mistake free football and that has served them well, but somehow points to the fact that they aren't a good team because their opponents made more mistakes. I'll refer you to the first paragraph on what good teams do on a regular basis.....they make less mistakes than their opponents.

Your paragraph on Mack is just plain ridiculous.....Mack is a great, future Hall of Fame player in his prime. If you don't understand this, you don't understand football.

Your opinion that our new QB has had only 4 good games is very debatable. To say he did against weaker opponents I will concede. I will state that I don't believe he is a finished product yet so any judgment on he has arrived or he's a bust is false.

The rest of the season is yet to be determined so you, stating with any certainty on how it will unfold is laughable at this point.

I would argue the Bears are certainly an imperfect team with a Head coach that is still learning, along with a team that is still learning.

But by most sane definitions they are a good team. Imperfect, probably not elite, but good......get over it, and yourself.
This is your perception. Mack has had better seasons and that is the reality. He has a mighty rep, no doubt, but it doesn't mean he is any less prone to having lesser years than any other player and I think the general perception of him puts him way above his peers and I just don't see that to be the case.

Bears have done extremely well in turnovers and their offense has taken advantage of the good field position. However, the defensive points put up and all those turnovers usually aren't sustainable so you can't keep relying solely on them.

I haven't stated how the season will unfold. I stated how it is more likely to unfold after the Giants loss.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
I don't think Spartan is trolling, to me he just seems desperate to feel smarter than everyone else.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I am confused what these claims that KM has had better yrs has to do with anything at all?

I don't know that to be true by the way; I don't watch the Raiders regularly, but even assuming it was true, what are you saying that means exactly?

Are you insinuating Khalil Mack is having a down yr?

Be very specific as to what you believe KM's level of play has been this yr so far.

I would say he has played exceptionally well.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Winning the turnover battle and gaining good field position does win you games and titles. Direct relationship. Look it up, you will see.

So saying that the Bears are winning for this reason, is in fact kind of silly. Spartan - when the Bears beat the Rams next Sunday night, will you post that things look great, or will you search for another angle of attack?

BTW- I still prefer humor on here and enjoy your posts.
I don't doubt the importance of winning the turnover battle. I just see how heavily the Bears have relied on it and think it's the kind of thing that's hard to sustain from game to game. How many more Eddie TDs can they depend on? As you enter the playoffs and a higher quality of teams, they'll be the ones preaching more about ball security and avoiding Eddie Jackson when facing the Bears. The opposing QBs get better too.

Every team will have its ups and downs and if the Bears beat the Rams, I'll enjoy that very much but would still have to wonder if they could do it on their home field in the playoffs.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mods why do we actually let idiots like spartan pollute the bears board? He does nothing but troll and adds nothing of value to this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A difference of opinion isn't trolling.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
When are people going to stop with this BS of "sure wins" or "guaranteed losses"? There are no guarantees in the NFL. Any team can win or lose any game.
Not so true when speaking of the strongest teams. Big upsets happen but not as many as suggested when you say, "Any team can win or lose any game."

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am confused what these claims that KM has had better yrs has to do with anything at all?

I don't know that to be true by the way; I don't watch the Raiders regularly, but even assuming it was true, what are you saying that means exactly?

Are you insinuating Khalil Mack is having a down yr?

Be very specific as to what you believe KM's level of play has been this yr so far.

I would say he has played exceptionally well.
I expected him to be more of a factor than he has been. Looking at the price paid vs production, you should be looking for a very elite type of play. He had 79 qb pressures for Oakland last year, 98 the year before that and just 45 for the Bears now.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not so true when speaking of the strongest teams. Big upsets happen but not as many as suggested when you say, "Any team can win or lose any game."

This is a non-debatable fact.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
What a great season and team. Something special is happening in Chicago. Enjoy the next 10+ years gentlemen.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
The perception is the Bears are having a great year in the genius HC's first year. The reality is they have been fortuitous and good fortune doesn't hold up for long, and Nagy's not a genius. The team has relied heavily on their weak schedule and league leading number of turnovers and, as we saw last Sunday, when that turnover advantage isn't there bad things happen. Same could be said of their loss to the faltering Dolphins.

For the most part, this year, the Bears have played solid football and limited mistakes while taking full advantage of the good field position provided by all the turnovers as well as penalties. Bears opponents have given up an average of 20 yards more in penalties per game. When all has gone well for them, it went very well and that helped boost the overall perception of the team as they blew out struggling teams in Buffalo and the Bucs and then recently secured 3 consecutive wins in divisional games. Then, of course, the wheels of the Chevy fell off in Jersey. Say good bye to any remote possibility of a bye. Time to look at the reality of the situation. Is this team really that good? Are its top players as good as perceived when the rose colored glasses are removed?

When the Bears brought in Khalil Mack, the perception was they were getting the best defensive player in the league and it instantly boosted their chances as SB contenders. The reality is he has not been the best defender in the league, does not occupy several blockers on every play, as perceived by many in these forii, and it's never wise to assume a player can play at that extremely high level he played at in the past. You seldom see players get DPOY more than once. Bears have only ever had 2 players win it and only 1 of them won it a second time. So, no, Mack is not way above all other defenders and has not had near his most productive season with the Bears. He has not been as disruptive as he was with the Raiders. In his DPOY year Mack led the league in amount of pressure (sacks+hits+hurries)put on opposing QBs. Last year he was second only to Von Miller. This year, with the Bears, he barely makes the top 15. While the Bears get their fair share of sacks, we usually have not seen the consistent pressure put on QBs. The effects of that were also seen in that last loss to the Giants. Yes, their QB was sacked 3 times but, other than those sacks, the completely immobile Eli was given a whole lot of time to pick his targets on most other pass plays.

With the Bears offense, the perception has been they've looked good, even very good, at times and their QB has established himself. The truth is the QB has only had about 4 good games out of the 10 and they were against weaker teams who were struggling. In the other 6 games, he has a rating of 73 with 6 TDs and 8 Ints. And he and the Bears offense have relied heavily on good field position provided by the defense. On plays in the Bears own end of the field, Trubisky has an 82 rating with 1 TD and 5 INTs. Bears would also do best to avoid close games with Mitchell. When there is a 1-8 point differential, Trubisky has a 79 rating with 7 TDs and 6 Ints.

As we enter the final 4 game stretch, the Bears have but one sure win left in the current worst NFL team, SanFran. The other 3 games will be tough. The Packers are the worst, but Rodgers is done tanking for the removal of McCarthy so will be going all out to beat the Bears again. Despite the manner in which CCS twits minimized the loss to the Giants, it comes with serious repercussions. It is now more likely that the final game of the season, when the Bears drive the wobbly wheeled Maserati to Minnesota, will be the deciding factor as to who will win the division and have home field advantage on WC weekend. In such a scenario, a home win by Minnesota would mean they'd, again, have home field advantage if they play the Bears a third time in the playoffs.

I can smell the shit pile and self fornication from miami....

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This was great. I've just finished the first page. I'm pouring a drink and going back in for page 2!

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
2nd page, pretty weak efforts. I lost interest. Got sidetracked by a foo fighters song... debating whether to continue on here.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Non-debatable proof this is a good year for the Bears:

Idiot attempt by 1 attention-seeking person attempting to down play how GOOD of a year the Bears are having results in 10+ people taking the bait and arguing the counter.

1:10 idiot:logical ratio of reasoning for the Bears being good!

I can hardly remember a time this last happened!

A typical Bears year results in an idiot Homer saying the Bears are better than they are, resulting in 10 counters.

What a FANTASTIC year!!