2018 Bears - Perception does NOT equal Reality

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Been a fan likely much longer than you. They already gave me a SB win. Will they give you 1 in your lifetime?

Yup. I think 2 in the next 5 years honestly. This team is on its way up and next year will be in the elite of the NFC. By elite I mean they’ll get a first round bye. And also it’s not very warrior spirit like to be satisfied with only 1 SB in your life time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Whiny ass post, save it for the knitting circles Gertrude.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Remember when the Bears sucked playing a last place schedule?

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know, man, I don't get why you are basing all of this stuff basically splitting the schedule. Yeah, Trubisky might have a lower passer rating against a team like the Vikings, I mean, against one of the better defenses in the league. So what? He still got the W, which is better than TD/INT/Ratings. Even the GOAT (Tom Brady) took SEVEN seasons to get his first 100+ rating for a season. He followed that up with TWO sub-100 rating seasons. Yet, they still won the Super Bowl and all that stuff. Who fucking cares about stats. This is coming from a guy who created a thread about Trubisky vs. Bears QB Records.

I think it was this recent game they talked about how QBs vs the Bears defense had 20 points less QB rating compared to their season average? Something like that, I don't know.

Point is, we have an excellent defense, whether we play winning teams or not. We were just a few plays away from being 9-0 prior to the Giants game. And of all the four losses we've had, I consider the Giants game to be the one where we actually LOST. Green Bay (gas off the pedal in the second half), Miami (missed kicks, missed opportunities), New England (special teams) were all winnable games and we were just a few plays away from being 9-0. Giants?? We fucked this game up. It was a trap game, but it happens all the time, every NFL season.

The reality is we are a good team. Maybe not quite elite yet, but we are fucking damn good. Maybe another off-season? Maybe next year, Trubisky is more confident. Hell, I say he is confident RIGHT NOW and is really ready to light it up against the Rams. You're forgetting that he didn't play in the pre-season, which I must admit, might have hurt him a little. After the first three games of the season, Trubisky seemed to be getting more comfortable and confident. This is apparent in every game with his growth. A second year starting QB keeping it close against Tom Brady? That's progress. The reality is we are on the heels of competing. I expect us to win the first post-season game, then I expect us to lose, for whatever reason. And I expect that loss to be because of a fuck up (special teams, missed kick?).

Next year, we are ALL IN. (as if we aren't already there)

tl;dr: The reality is you're a fucking idiot. Fuck you. Bear down!

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whiny ass post, save it for the knitting circles Gertrude.

Only thing whiny here is the fanboys with blinders like yourself. Nothing stated but facts. You just can’t stand the truth.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when we went 13 and 3 and the Panthers wiped the floor with us after relaxing on that first round bye?

Or going 13 and 3 and the eagles bending us over in the 2nd round?

I feel way better this year than those years. I think if we can get to playoffs, they can hocus pocus, chris angel smoke and mirror a team or two.

A WC win is possible me thinks.

Username

Liked Posts:
The perception is the Bears are having a great year in the genius HC's first year. The reality is they have been fortuitous and good fortune doesn't hold up for long, and Nagy's not a genius. The team has relied heavily on their weak schedule and league leading number of turnovers and, as we saw last Sunday, when that turnover advantage isn't there bad things happen. Same could be said of their loss to the faltering Dolphins.

For the most part, this year, the Bears have played solid football and limited mistakes while taking full advantage of the good field position provided by all the turnovers as well as penalties. Bears opponents have given up an average of 20 yards more in penalties per game. When all has gone well for them, it went very well and that helped boost the overall perception of the team as they blew out struggling teams in Buffalo and the Bucs and then recently secured 3 consecutive wins in divisional games. Then, of course, the wheels of the Chevy fell off in Jersey. Say good bye to any remote possibility of a bye. Time to look at the reality of the situation. Is this team really that good? Are its top players as good as perceived when the rose colored glasses are removed?

When the Bears brought in Khalil Mack, the perception was they were getting the best defensive player in the league and it instantly boosted their chances as SB contenders. The reality is he has not been the best defender in the league, does not occupy several blockers on every play, as perceived by many in these forii, and it's never wise to assume a player can play at that extremely high level he played at in the past. You seldom see players get DPOY more than once. Bears have only ever had 2 players win it and only 1 of them won it a second time. So, no, Mack is not way above all other defenders and has not had near his most productive season with the Bears. He has not been as disruptive as he was with the Raiders. In his DPOY year Mack led the league in amount of pressure (sacks+hits+hurries)put on opposing QBs. Last year he was second only to Von Miller. This year, with the Bears, he barely makes the top 15. While the Bears get their fair share of sacks, we usually have not seen the consistent pressure put on QBs. The effects of that were also seen in that last loss to the Giants. Yes, their QB was sacked 3 times but, other than those sacks, the completely immobile Eli was given a whole lot of time to pick his targets on most other pass plays.

With the Bears offense, the perception has been they've looked good, even very good, at times and their QB has established himself. The truth is the QB has only had about 4 good games out of the 10 and they were against weaker teams who were struggling. In the other 6 games, he has a rating of 73 with 6 TDs and 8 Ints. And he and the Bears offense have relied heavily on good field position provided by the defense. On plays in the Bears own end of the field, Trubisky has an 82 rating with 1 TD and 5 INTs. Bears would also do best to avoid close games with Mitchell. When there is a 1-8 point differential, Trubisky has a 79 rating with 7 TDs and 6 Ints.

As we enter the final 4 game stretch, the Bears have but one sure win left in the current worst NFL team, SanFran. The other 3 games will be tough. The Packers are the worst, but Rodgers is done tanking for the removal of McCarthy so will be going all out to beat the Bears again. Despite the manner in which CCS twits minimized the loss to the Giants, it comes with serious repercussions. It is now more likely that the final game of the season, when the Bears drive the wobbly wheeled Maserati to Minnesota, will be the deciding factor as to who will win the division and have home field advantage on WC weekend. In such a scenario, a home win by Minnesota would mean they'd, again, have home field advantage if they play the Bears a third time in the playoffs.

Best post of the season. Great job Spartan! I didn't know you had it in you. The homers here have had their heads in the ass of Denial so long their eyes are full of the shit of Hope when looking at this barely above mediocre team. The O is still sputtering along, mainly getting by with Mitches legs, until they couldn't. The D is not elite and definitely not dependable. This is not the 85' or 06 Bears. This is a work in progress. Of course they're better than what we're used to, but that is all they are. Better. Not great. Not in the same class as the Rams or Saints or Pat's, maybe even the Chiefs. They have yet to play all 4 quarters. They are a work in progress. Which is better than what we're used to, but nothing to put a crown on yet. Special Teams sucks. Good things maybe in store, but not this year. This year is learning year. D has to learn to play for 4 quarters. O has to learn the system. Special Teams has to be reworked. Nagy has to learn his WRs. Fangio has to learn how to beat Rodgers. We'll see if Pace can improve this talent level. It'll be interesting.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know, man, I don't get why you are basing all of this stuff basically splitting the schedule. Yeah, Trubisky might have a lower passer rating against a team like the Vikings, I mean, against one of the better defenses in the league. So what? He still got the W, which is better than TD/INT/Ratings. Even the GOAT (Tom Brady) took SEVEN seasons to get his first 100+ rating for a season. He followed that up with TWO sub-100 rating seasons. Yet, they still won the Super Bowl and all that stuff. Who fucking cares about stats. This is coming from a guy who created a thread about Trubisky vs. Bears QB Records.

I think it was this recent game they talked about how QBs vs the Bears defense had 20 points less QB rating compared to their season average? Something like that, I don't know.

Point is, we have an excellent defense, whether we play winning teams or not. We were just a few plays away from being 9-0 prior to the Giants game. And of all the four losses we've had, I consider the Giants game to be the one where we actually LOST. Green Bay (gas off the pedal in the second half), Miami (missed kicks, missed opportunities), New England (special teams) were all winnable games and we were just a few plays away from being 9-0. Giants?? We fucked this game up. It was a trap game, but it happens all the time, every NFL season.

The reality is we are a good team. Maybe not quite elite yet, but we are fucking damn good. Maybe another off-season? Maybe next year, Trubisky is more confident. Hell, I say he is confident RIGHT NOW and is really ready to light it up against the Rams. You're forgetting that he didn't play in the pre-season, which I must admit, might have hurt him a little. After the first three games of the season, Trubisky seemed to be getting more comfortable and confident. This is apparent in every game with his growth. A second year starting QB keeping it close against Tom Brady? That's progress. The reality is we are on the heels of competing. I expect us to win the first post-season game, then I expect us to lose, for whatever reason. And I expect that loss to be because of a fuck up (special teams, missed kick?).

Next year, we are ALL IN. (as if we aren't already there)

tl;dr: The reality is you're a fucking idiot. Fuck you. Bear down!
I didn't mention Trubisky having a lower rating against a team like the Vikings. I mentioned him having a much lower rating in 6 games than he did in the 4 against bad struggling teams. Consistency is key at the QB position and that certainly doesn't hint of consistency.

Giants weren't a trap game. They were exactly what would be expected. Just had 1 player to stop and the Bears not only didn't do it but their HC got him going and then when the Bears got Howard going, their HC shut him down. Was this clown trying to throw the game?

All games are winnable...until you lose them.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best post of the season. Great job Spartan! I didn't know you had it in you. The homers here have had their heads in the ass of Denial so long their eyes are full of the shit of Hope when looking at this barely above mediocre team. The O is still sputtering along, mainly getting by with Mitches legs, until they couldn't. The D is not elite and definitely not dependable. This is not the 85' or 06 Bears. This is a work in progress. Of course they're better than what we're used to, but that is all they are. Better. Not great. Not in the same class as the Rams or Saints or Pat's, maybe even the Chiefs. They have yet to play all 4 quarters. They are a work in progress. Which is better than what we're used to, but nothing to put a crown on yet. Special Teams sucks. Good things maybe in store, but not this year. This year is learning year. D has to learn to play for 4 quarters. O has to learn the system. Special Teams has to be reworked. Nagy has to learn his WRs. Fangio has to learn how to beat Rodgers. We'll see if Pace can improve this talent level. It'll be interesting.
To be sure. Bears look to be the best defense in the league but, in reality, it's a tale of 2 halves with them. In the first half, they are lights out and no doubt about that. I expected the secondary to be the strongest part and they haven't disappointed with the lowest passer rating against them in the league.

Still the Bears defense is far stronger in the first half than the second and it's not even debatable. In the first half they give up a league low average of 6.2 points per game. The second half is when these guys just let the flood gates open. Their ranking in points allowed goes from being #1, in the first half, to #24 in the league in the 2nd half. Would definitely like to see a ton of improvement there.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Spartan do you really believe the stuff you say? real question.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Ironic thread title, as you are basically arguing that reality doesn't equal your perception of the team.

The Mack stuff is interesting. I think he is great and the team MVP. I also think that Floyd's lack of production and the DB's mediocrity are 'covered up' by Mack's greatness, to the point where a guy like Eddie Jackson gets opportunities to excel and Amukamara is a good starting NFL CB. I think an issue is that the Bears defense is so dependent on Mack, that if he is not at 100% the entire defense suffers.

Your idea that Mack is not dominant is actually better for the Bears' long-term outlook. It would mean that guys like Floyd, Jackson, Amukamara etc. are good enough on their own to have an elite NFL defense. The scheme isn't dependent on Mack; any decent pass rusher could replace Mack and the Bears would be fine. I think that idea is absolutely delusional based on watching the games, but its interesting nonetheless.

Not sure what you expected from the Bears this year, but they have greatly surpassed my expectations, regardless of 'easy schedule'. I will say that the one area in which the Bears have been more fortunate than any other NFL team is overall health...they've basically had the same 22 starters all year long. That luck will probably run out next season, but I think Nagy/Fangio will be good enough to compensate.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Spartan do you really believe the stuff you say? real question.

I think he believes it. If the Rams wax us 35-10 at home this weekend, would you say he has a valid point? If something like that does happen, it would be much easier to believe the Bears have been the beneficiary of an easy schedule. Again, for me, nothing against the Bears for having an easy schedule, that's not their fault, but when weighing how close your team is to being a real playoff/SB contender it factors in.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I think he believes it. If the Rams wax us 35-10 at home this weekend, would you say he has a valid point? If something like that does happen, it would be much easier to believe the Bears have been the beneficiary of an easy schedule. Again, for me, nothing against the Bears for having an easy schedule, that's not their fault, but when weighing how close your team is to being a real playoff/SB contender it factors in.

FWIW the Eagles played a last place schedule last year...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ironic thread title, as you are basically arguing that reality doesn't equal your perception of the team.

The Mack stuff is interesting. I think he is great and the team MVP. I also think that Floyd's lack of production and the DB's mediocrity are 'covered up' by Mack's greatness, to the point where a guy like Eddie Jackson gets opportunities to excel and Amukamara is a good starting NFL CB. I think an issue is that the Bears defense is so dependent on Mack, that if he is not at 100% the entire defense suffers.

Your idea that Mack is not dominant is actually better for the Bears' long-term outlook. It would mean that guys like Floyd, Jackson, Amukamara etc. are good enough on their own to have an elite NFL defense. The scheme isn't dependent on Mack; any decent pass rusher could replace Mack and the Bears would be fine. I think that idea is absolutely delusional based on watching the games, but its interesting nonetheless.

Not sure what you expected from the Bears this year, but they have greatly surpassed my expectations, regardless of 'easy schedule'. I will say that the one area in which the Bears have been more fortunate than any other NFL team is overall health...they've basically had the same 22 starters all year long. That luck will probably run out next season, but I think Nagy/Fangio will be good enough to compensate.

It was never about what I expected from the Bears or how I perceived the season overall. It was about the build up through the media, fans and ccs twits and that perception they were putting out there. It was inaccurate and thus I give the reality of it all.

I did not say anything so negative about Mack. Just stated the facts and provided the stats as proof of his productivity being way down from both his DPOY year and his last year with Oakland.

Fans can whine and cry about it, but the facts are indisputable. If I was another poster responding and attempting to defend the big drop in productivity, I’d point to about a 4 game stretch, with the ankle issue, in which he both missed some time and was completely ineffective while playing with it. But nobody did that cause they don’t want to look at the facts. They just want to get all butt hurt when somebody tells them their perception is false.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
Bears offense is 20th in the league in total yardage. Not terrible, but not too great either. Need more Allen Robinson targets deep.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW the Eagles played a last place schedule last year...

And now they hang from a thread, not so much cause of a more difficult schedule, but because their defense faltered and their offense just never really got it going.

Last edited: