2018 Draft - How Does Your First Round Guy Compare to Roquan Smith?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This thread is not a criticism of Smith. However, there was so much discussion of prospects on this board it's interesting to take a look at how our favorite guys are doing. Four games doesn't make a career. It's a hot take and simply for fun and discussion.

I was on the Derwin James train. I felt he could be utilized in coverage, in the box as a run defender and on the edge as a pass rusher.

So far, he's doing exactly that for the Chargers. He has 26 tackles, one pick and three sacks. He sealed the victory yesterday with a 4th down sack of CJ Beathard.

He would be awesome lined up next to Jackson.

I like what Smith brings to the Bears too. Nick K. would be a constant target of opposing d coordinators if he was starting.

How's your guy doing?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Smith was my guy after Chubb was off the board and I will be the first to admit that Smith isn't looking very special right now. 4 NFL games is way to early though to come to any conclusions, especially in limited reps.

The Bears are doing so well rushing 4 and dropping the linebackers into coverage its been hard to evaluate our LB play.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was Derwin James guy as well......would have been fine with him too...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I was hoping for a trade down/Marcus Davenport scenario. He's been hurt but has looked ok thus far when he's been healthy.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Lots of love for a trade down for Calvin Ridley. Has to be the front runner for OROY right now. Perfectly fine with Smiths play yet so far.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Lots of love for a trade down for Calvin Ridley. Has to be the front runner for OROY right now. Perfectly fine with Smiths play yet so far.

There was talk the Bears were looking to trade back up to get him too. If they made that move, they might not have had the picks to get Mack.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was on board with Nelson or Fitzpatrick. Happy with Smith though. He will be a solid player for us.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I was an Edmunds guy....I turned away from Smith after the brett kollman video but really he can find tiny flaws on anybody....why is Edmunds for sure a bust?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do not think Derwin would be maximized in this defense.

We do not blitz enough for him to get to attack the QB.

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I was on the Edmunds train, mainly because he looked the next Urlacher and he's only 20 years old. He's statistically doing okay so far this season, but I haven't watched any Bills games to know if he's decent or not.

I'm happy with Smith and I think he's going to be a stud by the end of the season.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I was hoping for Ward if he went defense but considering how the board fell I’m very happy with Smith.

I think he’s looked fine and I don’t really understand where the negativity is coming from.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm curious to hear from Tremaine Edmunds fans

I wanted Edmunds or Davenport. I haven't watched any of their games but going off of PFF, Smith is graded higher than Edmunds but lower than Davenport. Still a lot of season to go so a bit premature at this point. I honestly don't care enough to follow either at this point as Smith is who we have.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What if your guy was Smith?

My guy was Smith and I think he hasn't yet looked like the Smith I wanted the Bears to draft, but I feel it's too early to call him "meh" much less a BUST. I think he is just okay right now and will get much better as he learns the system.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I do not think Derwin would be maximized in this defense.

We do not blitz enough for him to get to attack the QB.

I'm pretty sure Fangio could figure it out.