2019 Draft

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I didn't want to be the same as Ruprecht so I flipped the first 2 players. I could see Byram going at #2, for me he would be the best pick for the Hox.
It would be more fun to ban a poster instead of a mod, the ban would take place immediately following the 5th pick ,thus not having to hear it from "that guy" for 3 days
:deer:

Kakko
Hughes
Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Hughes
Kakko
Pods
Byram
Turcotte
Hughes
Kappo
Turcottte
Byram
Cozens

Stan will go with the local kid, and once again pull his Jerry Angelo "smartest guy in the room" bullshit.
Shit, I just realized I should have made you select which team they are going to.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For anyone interested, maybe you can made some cases from these, but here is the full combine results. I looked at the top tens and Cozens and maybe Caufield were the only ones that jumped out at me from the top names. Hughes it seems declined to do the physical tests. Don't know about Kakko. Looks like they show the top 25.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For anyone interested, maybe you can made some cases from these, but here is the full combine results. I looked at the top tens and Cozens and maybe Caufield were the only ones that jumped out at me from the top names. Hughes it seems declined to do the physical tests. Don't know about Kakko. Looks like they show the top 25.

I dont think Kakko participated

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think Kakko participated
His team said he wouldn't after the epic Worlds he had, basically everyone agreed he deserved to rest and had proven he was the top pick.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I think Newhook shoots up draft boards from the combine results.

Looks like Byram really didn't have a good combine. But then again, I really don't know how great a vertical jump is worth while wearing skates.

Caufield, for his size, has a ridiculous wingspan.

Why am I getting the feeling he's going third......

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Thing is Turcotte would be a good pick in my opinion. Aside from Hughes, he's the best center of the draft class and has more hockeyIQ and a higher floor* than Cozens or the others. I'm like 55-45 on Byram but I don't think the 'hawks lose with Turcotte.

However, I do think there's a chance, and a significant one at that, that Stan pretends like he's the smartest guy in the room, and gets Caulfield.

* - I think that the major problem a lot of people are doing with this draft is they're looking at the highest ceiling, and not the highest floor. With pick 3 we have an excellent chance at getting a piece that will be *the* next guy in terms of deployment: Either the next Keith (Byram), next Toews (Turcotte or Hughes if he drops), or an outsdie chance of the next Hossa (Kakko if he drops). In that respect, safer is better than a gamble.

Realistically I think Byram bottoms out as a mid-pair defenseman if all goes wrong. Realistically it's about the same for Turcotte: a middle C. Aside from Hughes and Kakko: in my opinion guys like Cozens, Dach, etc. have the lowest floors--some of them being a Barker or worse, a Beach. I think it's a major consideration because barring a complete pants-downer of a year coming up this might be the best shot the 'hawks have at getting the next generation of talent.

And while I don't think a guy like Caufield has a low floor, I don't think he's the BPA at 3 given his O-only game, and further if anything he's the next Kane or Debrincat--the two players on the team which will probably be the most viable the longest. So in my opinion he's not the guy to get--but again, Stan pretending he's the smartest guy in the room makes me worried he'd try that.
I think the same "smartest guy in the room" scenario with the exception being Caufield at 3 isn't bad.

He can play. And he's going to score. If Stan takes Caufield at 3 I can live with it. 30 goal scorers in the NHL don't fall from trees and I truly think Caufield could hit 50 in his prime playing with the right players. He's certainly going to have to be sheltered early on, but rolling him out on a pp with either Kane or Gus would be electric.

My biggest "smartest guy in the room" theory is Stan jumping on Newhook, who is shooting up boards, or Zegras.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think the same "smartest guy in the room" scenario with the exception being Caufield at 3 isn't bad.

He can play. And he's going to score. If Stan takes Caufield at 3 I can live with it. 30 goal scorers in the NHL don't fall from trees and I truly think Caufield could hit 50 in his prime playing with the right players. He's certainly going to have to be sheltered early on, but rolling him out on a pp with either Kane or Gus would be electric.

My biggest "smartest guy in the room" theory is Stan jumping on Newhook, who is shooting up boards, or Zegras.
My biggest Stan move is trade down.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I dont know how many goal scorers ever kept up their pace when moving into the nhl.

Its just hard to get too excited about this since even if he will be good enough to make the team, odds are he will be sent off to play elsewhere like Bovquist. then almost forgotten as an answer for next years team.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The thing about Caufield is that he is cookie-cutter of Kane and Debrincat but in the same vein isn't a definitive #1--not even close to what Kane was back when he was drafted. Thus IMHO he's not the bonafied BPA, plus he'd be building on an already-strong O for the 'hawks but doing smeg-all for the defensive side of things. As good as he could be offensively, how much can that really help? Even if we replace him with the worthless gutterslime FWDs (Martensen, Sikura, Johnson, and Nilson - about 74GP and 1G among all of them) and assume 40G (maybe not rookie year but head me out), the 'hawks would merely move from a -0.24 GPG/GAPG ratio to a +0.18 GPGP/GAGP ratio. Sure, the O theoretically would be almost as good as the Lightning's, But our team D would still suck like a tranny hooker in George Michael's dressing room.

+0.18 in the goal differential per game *can* get you into the playoffs, but you're likley bounced in round 1. Either way it's an uphill battle and whomever you have in net is suffering PTSD from seeing more rubber than the staring line of the Indy 500.

With letting in 3.55 GAPG and nearly 35 shots on goal per game, I think the team has literally hit the point where increasing the O brings diminishing returns. Solidifying the team D has to be paramount at this point. Extra O is nice but is not a need.

If Caufield was a bonafied BPA, yes, we take him and liquidate someone else to bolster the D. The reports on him though are that he's not, and that has him drop in my book. Even if he was projected out in the same close vicinity as Byram or Turcotte, he would still lose out because both of them could help get the SA and GA down, while Caufield would be trying to bolster state where the 'hawks are already in the top half of the league.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The thing about Caufield is that he is cookie-cutter of Kane and Debrincat but in the same vein isn't a definitive #1--not even close to what Kane was back when he was drafted. Thus IMHO he's not the bonafied BPA, plus he'd be building on an already-strong O for the 'hawks but doing smeg-all for the defensive side of things. As good as he could be offensively, how much can that really help? Even if we replace him with the worthless gutterslime FWDs (Martensen, Sikura, Johnson, and Nilson - about 74GP and 1G among all of them) and assume 40G (maybe not rookie year but head me out), the 'hawks would merely move from a -0.24 GPG/GAPG ratio to a +0.18 GPGP/GAGP ratio. Sure, the O theoretically would be almost as good as the Lightning's, But our team D would still suck like a tranny hooker in George Michael's dressing room.

+0.18 in the goal differential per game *can* get you into the playoffs, but you're likley bounced in round 1. Either way it's an uphill battle and whomever you have in net is suffering PTSD from seeing more rubber than the staring line of the Indy 500.

With letting in 3.55 GAPG and nearly 35 shots on goal per game, I think the team has literally hit the point where increasing the O brings diminishing returns. Solidifying the team D has to be paramount at this point. Extra O is nice but is not a need.

If Caufield was a bonafied BPA, yes, we take him and liquidate someone else to bolster the D. The reports on him though are that he's not, and that has him drop in my book. Even if he was projected out in the same close vicinity as Byram or Turcotte, he would still lose out because both of them could help get the SA and GA down, while Caufield would be trying to bolster state where the 'hawks are already in the top half of the league.
Why am I blanking on what a BPA is?

KBIB

Liked Posts:
My biggest Stan move is trade down.
I don't think that's going to happen.

But if it does, he better get a haul.

There's rumors of Gardiner being of interest to the Hawks. That would be a huge get. He's better then what Leafs fans say but has injury issues (back).

Another puck mover, you say? Well, it looks like the Hawks are going full blown offensive dynamo, who cares about their own zone if that's the case.

I really think this means they believe Joker is ready, which is good. He can play defense, and that we will see Keith and Seabs as the shut down pair. They were great last year together at the end.

As for the pick, the only person who makes sense is Byram. While I believe it will be Turcotte, and wouldn't have an ish with Caufield, I don't care how little he high jumped at the combine, the kid is a warrior.

Passing on Byram, in my opinion, would be a long term mistake. The kid is already NHL ready, and is built for the long haul. He was averaging over 30 minutes of ice time during the playoffs. That's not a Cam Barker.

Realistically, if Turcotte is the heir apparent, he will still be in Toews shadow for the next three years.

Byram will be above Keith by the middle of the next one.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Newhook shoots up draft boards from the combine results.

Looks like Byram really didn't have a good combine. But then again, I really don't know how great a vertical jump is worth while wearing skates.

Caufield, for his size, has a ridiculous wingspan.

Why am I getting the feeling he's going third......
Yeah its crazy...

but some of the members I respect most here kept pushing Turcotte's name as high as they could, even beyond logicical discussions...like Turcotte got talked about as the third forward who should be a generational level #1 pick.

I don't know why he can't just slot in at our desperate need for 2C. Due to Kane thats a 1C showcase anyway.

I'm just gonna pipe down now and let Bowman build his team. The Hawks are in a weird situation where best player long term just might now make sense.

Can they solve roster problems of this build which have been...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hear the excitement on Turcotte and the position value...the selection would be understood and accepted.

I've stopped thinking in terms purely of BPA after Kappo Kakko and Jack Hughes...who I think you have to draft either....and we probably don't get to. I love those two on a Kane/Toews/Keith level.

But since we pick 3, I think there is serious debate about who is actually going to emerge as the 3rd best player from this draft. Maybe Turcotte or Byram have an edge here...are a level above as some have suggested and I'll trust the experts with the resources and the team plan in hand...

but if its a surprise pick that addresses either 2C, 1RF, or D1 or D2

These positions have begun to plague the Blackhawks current build. While Turcotte might have an edge on Dach...which one projects better next to Kane since that is where they will begin initially.

If they want to put Cat to power the third line, and view Caufield as the perfect 1RF next to Toews...and they can solve that line...I would understand that too.

I think they have a unique opportunity to take the team in one of several directions with this selection.

While I think BPA is pre-eminent, I do think consideration of which guy fits next to Toews/Kane...or just taking the team smart decision of Byram to make the defense a strength and trade position of power with some of the lesser guys coming...

Its hard to miss right here...is what Im saying. I think all these players have a nice warm spot sorely needed on the Hawks and I'm good with whatever direction they decide is best.

Get cute if he wants...it looks like whoever gets selected at #3 will make his position a deep strength. If thats center or defense its probably a good idea, but I wouldn't pass on Kappo for anything.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why am I blanking on what a BPA is?
Best Player Available. :)
I don't think that's going to happen.

But if it does, he better get a haul.

There's rumors of Gardiner being of interest to the Hawks. That would be a huge get. He's better then what Leafs fans say but has injury issues (back).

Another puck mover, you say? Well, it looks like the Hawks are going full blown offensive dynamo, who cares about their own zone if that's the case.

I really think this means they believe Joker is ready, which is good. He can play defense, and that we will see Keith and Seabs as the shut down pair. They were great last year together at the end.

As for the pick, the only person who makes sense is Byram. While I believe it will be Turcotte, and wouldn't have an ish with Caufield, I don't care how little he high jumped at the combine, the kid is a warrior.

Passing on Byram, in my opinion, would be a long term mistake. The kid is already NHL ready, and is built for the long haul. He was averaging over 30 minutes of ice time during the playoffs. That's not a Cam Barker.

Realistically, if Turcotte is the heir apparent, he will still be in Toews shadow for the next three years.

Byram will be above Keith by the middle of the next one.

Part of me thinks this is what Bowman the Lesser wants. But we've also seen if fail--sometimes in spectacular fashion: 2016, 2018, and Tampa this past year. You gotta have quality goaltending to do so. Unfortunately Crawford is a question mark and we don't have anyone else remotely proven. 2019 or 2018 without Crawford might be the net result unless Crawford is on a Vezina-track.

I hear the excitement on Turcotte and the position value...the selection would be understood and accepted.

I've stopped thinking in terms purely of BPA after Kappo Kakko and Jack Hughes...who I think you have to draft either....and we probably don't get to. I love those two on a Kane/Toews/Keith level.

But since we pick 3, I think there is serious debate about who is actually going to emerge as the 3rd best player from this draft. Maybe Turcotte or Byram have an edge here...are a level above as some have suggested and I'll trust the experts with the resources and the team plan in hand...

but if its a surprise pick that addresses either 2C, 1RF, or D1 or D2

These positions have begun to plague the Blackhawks current build. While Turcotte might have an edge on Dach...which one projects better next to Kane since that is where they will begin initially.

If they want to put Cat to power the third line, and view Caufield as the perfect 1RF next to Toews...and they can solve that line...I would understand that too.

I think they have a unique opportunity to take the team in one of several directions with this selection.

While I think BPA is pre-eminent, I do think consideration of which guy fits next to Toews/Kane...or just taking the team smart decision of Byram to make the defense a strength and trade position of power with some of the lesser guys coming...

Its hard to miss right here...is what Im saying. I think all these players have a nice warm spot sorely needed on the Hawks and I'm good with whatever direction they decide is best.

Get cute if he wants...it looks like whoever gets selected at #3 will make his position a deep strength. If thats center or defense its probably a good idea, but I wouldn't pass on Kappo for anything.
The thing is you can get a decent enough #2C in exchange for a #3/4 D. So even in that respect drafting for the next Toews IMHO is not an immediate need. Hell, one can even say we have a #2C in Strome already--who's cost-controlled though this coming season.

My opinion of course, but in terms of complete games at potential slot 3 (assuming Kakko/Hughes don't drop) is that Turcotte/Byram are more complete players with great ceilings and still-high floors. I edge on D, but I'm like 55/45 on Byram over Turcotte--either should be good.

Caufiled IMHO is a great player, but too one-dimensional and doesn't help with the Team-D aspect and as I aforementioned, with the O the way it was last year adding to it and it alone is diminishing returns. Plus, his O isn't head-and-shoulders above Turcotte/Byram and their more-complete games (Think Kane in 2007 as an example of head-and-shoulders better on O). The other centers IMHO have lower floors.

It would indeed be hard to miss, but a lot of that hinges on Stan not trying to outsmart himself. Hughes/Kakko/Byram/Turcotte would set the team well in the coming years with the least change of a bust, and IMHO there's no real smart move in trading down that other teams would accept.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Zegras is gaining steam. I saw on the Hawks twatter feed a bunch of jerseys that flash led with potential picks. I saw

Byram
Turcotte
Dach
Cozens
Zegras

I thought I read an article aboot him having a higher ceiling than Turcotte, and might be end up being better than Hughes in the long run.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here is a draft profile on Zegras off of elite prospects

Sounds like a smaller version of the Tkachuk brothers

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind Zegras;

A. So long as they know what they are getting

And

B. Your trading down to get him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How did we get off Byram as the easy pick?

Turcotte is just too small for me. Pods I like, but he doesn't have the skill of the other guys up there, imo...he is just a freak strong early bloomer who will always be a strong man...at 17 is already 200 lbs of muscle and testosterone. But without the hands of the other guys could turn into Baun? in the NHL. Athletic freak but isn't a hockey god like Kappo, Hughes, Caughfield, Turcotte, etc.

Hard to judge the size of 18 year olds. Turcotte seems fine enough, and Zegras...but they are always going to get bullied some in the playoffs like Panarin. They play hard and tenacious, know what they are doing, and are skilled because they are in the ODP program...

I'm just leaning with what I have learned from LordKTL...

if a 3D is worth a 2C on the trade market...

why in the fuck would we pass on a 1D?

The kid is 18...who cares about his fucking combine numbers. Or lung capacity...and what I mean by that is Byram is the right player for the current 3 year window left with 88/19.....

we can trade our young 3D and 4D for that 1/2LW we need to complete 3 scoring lines. Strome who I forgot does change things for us.

Why take a Turcotte, Dach, or Zegras we have to develop when we can just take Byram and improve the D by next years playoffs.

The one player that gives me pause is Turcotte. A natural center in the Toews 200 foot mold with great knowledge of how to play and great skill at a premium position.

If we don't trade back and the pick is anything but

1. Kappo Kakko
2. Jack Hughes
3. Lord Byram
4. Turcotte

with an outside shoutout to Caufield...who probably is a Tyler Johnson or D Cat (plus faster) without too much projection and will score under the current way the NHL is played by the bunches.

The D cavalry is for sure coming in the next 18 months...

My personal plan would be to offer whatever I can to move up to #2 and dangle Byram/Turcotte so we can have Jack Hughes or Kakko. I'd pay alot for that and think there is some separation to the rest of the pack.

Turcotte/Byram do have great value...

outside of that...Dach/Zegras/Cozens/Pods...

I think you are playing the development projection "cute" game.... hands are every bit as inherited as speed or size...and I think Pods has not show the skill the rest of the top 10 have. He is just a beast who can play with men, has power on his shot...honestly reminds me of an angry Ryan Baun who developed 2-3 years earlier physiologically.

Again I will say Caufield certainly intrigues...I think you have a stocky low gravity speed weapon there that fits whats happening in the league. I've pointed out for years the Hawks need to get out of this build where they have a Hino/Shaw/Kane/Cat/Caufield etc on every line they roll out...I guess what I am acknowleding is Caufield and Byram probably have the highest floors.

I don't think you should have more than 2 of those guys that play 100 feet...but the elder Kane has perfected the way he turns the ice and hawks back on the forecheck, stealing whatever he wants and playing sturdy when needed...you might get away with 3...

but Caufield on a trade down would mean the Hawks are playing 5-4 games for a while like the Leafs.

We NEED Byram unless we are absolutely certain Turcotte has a franchise player ceiling he will probably reach. That possibility does give me pause.

If its not that top 4 we got cute.

Last edited: