2020 NHL Free Agency thread

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would rather Stan just say...

"We can't afford a goalie because I brought Shaw and Smith here for no good reason at all."

If you can grab two of Houla/Granlund/Vantanen/Strome with the $5,000,000...

Then LTIR Smith and/or Shaw and trade for a goalie...I don't think we HAVE to suck.
You have to prove the injury though. Even what Hossa had was documented. Do we hope that Smith/Shaw Havlat's themselves and gives us an excuse?

Part of the other side of the problem is, as many have said, being just below the playoff line to about 1/3rd from the bottom is the worst place to be. You're not winning and you're missing out on the best picks. Now, I'm never one for intentionally tanking but the flipside is if you're in a rebuild you're going to suck, and in that respect you can still suck while bringing young guys along. It's where the 'hawks failed miserably in 2018: Once Crawford stopped carrying the team you know they were going to suck, so why run the core roughshod if they're losing anyway when you can see what you got in some of the kids?

If the 'hawks were to get a goalie it would have to be with the intent that they are a mentor/backup--not *the* guy. Their job is to train the next guy. They start half-or-less games and then they come in whenever the team D leaves the rookie out to dry--and is someone respected enough that they could tell any skater to get their head and ass wired together when they screw the pooch.

While I'd like that type of goaltender, I think we've run out. The vets who are left would have to come dirt cheap (like Subban cheap), and we already signed Subban. Subban+ locks the goaltenders in and the 'hawks should want to see what they got in all of their prospects.

Besdies, it's not like Stan is going to say anything other than his horse-trader act trying to sell a scrap-heap player as the next big thing that the 'hawks need.