2023 trade season

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Madrigal has no power, and only hits the occasional single. Once on base, he has no speed. He offers next to nothing defensively.

This is not a guy who needs to play every day.

I do agree that Wisdom doesn't need to either.
Madrigal is probably best as an everyday 2nd baseman for a fairly bad team. At 2nd it really doesn't matter if he hits for power as long as he can get back to being a .300 hitter. Cubs have put him in a pretty bad spot for his own success though

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Madrigal is probably best as an everyday 2nd baseman for a fairly bad team. At 2nd it really doesn't matter if he hits for power as long as he can get back to being a .300 hitter. Cubs have put him in a pretty bad spot for his own success though
Yeah, not a great fit numberswise at third but I'd rather have him in there than the "Gold Glover". Wisdom has now struck out 16 times in his last 32 ABs, one RBI in the last 3 weeks. Ugh.

UPDATE.....Thankfully, Wisdom is now on the IL.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But in all seriousness. This winning might bite them in the ass long term.

Losing justifies trading Their big chips for needed players going forward

Winning means adding bull pen arms and getting a bit stupid at 3B.

Losing means dropping some contract and targeting a young 3B. That way they get into the Othani bidding.

So I love Stroman but this has been his career year. He has been a middle of the rotation guy and now he is going to opt and take a huge pay day.

If you are going there it is better to target 40HR and 100MPH

So I do want them to lose at the end of the day. It helps them long term more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also on Morel at 3B. He was brought in as a 3B. At Tenn they started pushing him into CF.

All I've heard is he plays better up the middle vs at 3B that is why they made the switch back then

Let's face it. They chose Mad over him this spring and sent him to Iowa

I think that they know where his strengths and weaknesses lie. He is Javy 2.0. but not a GG level player that forced starting time.

Situationally speaking I love having that raw power to plug and play. But everyday you have to think D and OBA ability first vs the HR crush

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
But in all seriousness. This winning might bite them in the ass long term.

Losing justifies trading Their big chips for needed players going forward

Winning means adding bull pen arms and getting a bit stupid at 3B.

Losing means dropping some contract and targeting a young 3B. That way they get into the Othani bidding.

So I love Stroman but this has been his career year. He has been a middle of the rotation guy and now he is going to opt and take a huge pay day.

If you are going there it is better to target 40HR and 100MPH

So I do want them to lose at the end of the day. It helps them long term more.
Fucking losers mentality. The division is there for the taking if the cubs add an end of the game arm

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I was wondering if you were of a mindset to extend Stroman, what would you be willing to offer? The Ohtani bidding will be insane and probably starts in the 12 years/540M range and could even go to 60M AAV if someone wants to get insane (I'm looking at the Mets for something like that.) Urias is the next big name pitcher and the Dodgers are going to have a ton of money to bring him back and whomever else they want, about 133M.
Stroman is set for 21M in pay with a 23.67M tax hit for 2024. The Cubs aren't big on offering long term deals as of now. I just wonder if a 3Y/85M or 4Y/115M would get him to sign and would be palpable to you guys.

Bellinger is a different story. His option for 24 is 25M. Without knowing his wants, I'm just guessing he'd be looking for 5Y/125M area.

If both of those were done, the Cubs would be looking at about 48M in space before the CBT. That would almost put them out of the Ohtani sweepstakes and firmly in the "find a different power bat for the line up" most likely at 3B category. At that point, I'd be wanting Matt Chapman and he's probably the best fit out there and would cost about 25-28M a season.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fucking losers mentality. The division is there for the taking if the cubs add an end of the game arm
I see no reason why we can't just sit and wait and see how it all plays out. Right now the Cubs are playing well and the division is within reach. There's a ton of baseball before the trade deadline is here. Let's see how the next month goes

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I see no reason why we can't just sit and wait and see how it all plays out. Right now the Cubs are playing well and the division is within reach. There's a ton of baseball before the trade deadline is here. Let's see how the next month goes

I agree. The next 5 weeks will tell a lot on if the Cubs need to buy, sell. or just stand pat at the deadline. But speculating is so much fun. One target I've hear mentioned for the Cubs would be Washington 3B Jeimer Candelario. His bat is switch with a passable 240/333/750 with 15+ HR power and average to above average glove. He doesn't cost much money and is on the final year of his deal so there's no commitment.

Other than that, it's just about getting another arm or two for the pen.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How did they put him in that bad spot? By having better players at every position?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree. The next 5 weeks will tell a lot on if the Cubs need to buy, sell. or just stand pat at the deadline. But speculating is so much fun. One target I've hear mentioned for the Cubs would be Washington 3B Jeimer Candelario. His bat is switch with a passable 240/333/750 with 15+ HR power and average to above average glove. He doesn't cost much money and is on the final year of his deal so there's no commitment.

Other than that, it's just about getting another arm or two for the pen.
240/333/750 with 15 HR power at 3rd from an average glove? Why would anyone be interested in that?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
While I do agree with this, I’d just also say that another month of baseball without a legit closer option could be the difference between being in it come August 1st or being out of it by then.

Waiting another 30+ days to fix the glaring weakness on the team could be too late for this season

Now, don’t get me wrong…I’m not advocating they trade a premier prospect for a guy. But, someone like chapman who is older, I would imagine wouldn’t cost anything crazy

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might be done:

60-day IL​

RHP Codi Heuer (right elbow surgery)
Expected return:
TBD
Heuer faced another setback in his rehab with Triple-A Iowa on June 20. After firing a 1-0 offering over the head of the opposing Memphis batter, the right-hander hopped around the mound in pain while favoring his pitching arm. Heuer is still undergoing further testing and the Cubs do not have a diagnosis to share yet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Few guys that should be on the market:

Javy. Rather pass unless it involved Alex Lange. Then some number crunching and talent movement might be justified.

Especially with Heuer most likely the next Prior

That one I could see done with little loss on the Cubs end just to move Javy. This would improve 3B and Javy is a energy guy. He has been on a bad team for a while and it reflects in his production

But I think we can say that Jed could toss Wisdom and Mag with a arm like Jenson. Take on the cash part and run with it. At min it would upgrade 3B D.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

So you flip flop depending on the current state then. Got ya. Month ago you were all in on sell

Attachments

• fish-danio-flop-annabelle-popa.gif
    fish-danio-flop-annabelle-popa.gif
    236.8 KB · Views: 2

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So you flip flop depending on the current state then. Got ya. Month ago you were all in on sell
Ugh wut?! Do show me where I said a month ago it’d be a bad idea to add a reliever

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ugh wut?! Do show me where I said a month ago it’d be a bad idea to add a reliever
LOL......so the original "windsock" or "player of the day" is accusing you of flip flopping.

Classic.....

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
LOL......so the original "windsock" or "player of the day" is accusing you of flip flopping.

Classic.....
I guess just because I’m cool with trading hendricks and smyly it means I’m “all in on selling.”

The old doofus doesn’t comprehend that you can still acquire a player that has team control for the next couple years while trading away aging vets who’s contracts are up

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess just because I’m cool with trading hendricks and smyly it means I’m “all in on selling.”

The old doofus doesn’t comprehend that you can still acquire a player that has team control for the next couple years while trading away aging vets who’s contracts are up
Might not be a bad idea to add Stroman to that list. Sure, it won't be a popular move but he'll be looking for #1 money and until this year he's never been close to a #1. The Cubs won't extend him because they have to believe this season is an outlier and rightfully so. He's never been anything but a .500 pitcher in the past.....he'll also be 33 this time next season, so the time is ripe to move him. His value will never be higher.