Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To have the season Pistons had then to get the 5th pick is brutal. I'm seeing them offering it to us for LaVine.

On the other if we lost a few more games we'd have the #1 pick. That kinda hurts too.

meh. This is supposed to be one of the worst draft classes in the last 20+ years.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
meh. This is supposed to be one of the worst draft classes in the last 20+ years.
If we're real with ourselves, at #11 in any draft you're really just hoping for a rotation level player...and even more so just hoping for a non-bust

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think @clonetrooper264's description of it being thought of that way because there is no generational superstar. Laziness by the national NBA writers.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we're real with ourselves, at #11 in any draft you're really just hoping for a rotation level player...and even more so just hoping for a non-bust

I think @clonetrooper264's description of it being thought of that way because there is no generational superstar. Laziness by the national NBA writers.

Oh yeah, I was more so trying to say that it's not a big deal that we didn't get the first overall pick because there really isn't a "can't miss prospect" like Wemby, Rose, Kyrie, etc. So I don't think having the 1st overall pick in this draft really means much.

And unfortunately, the strength of a draft class is usually measured by the talent up top. So if it's weaker at the top, the assumption is that it's weaker elsewhere, which is lazy... I agree.

The 2013 draft was a good example. Very weak class was projected, and Anthony Bennett went #1 to Cleveland. Though, nobody really even seemed high on him, he just had the highest grade of what was thought to be a weak class. But Giannis went at #15, and the lottery was littered with a bunch of valuable players like Steve Adams, CJ McCollum, KCP, Oladipo (before injuries), and couple other rotation guys. Gobert went at #27, and Hardaway JR went at #24.

On another note...

In 3 straight years, the following guys were drafted at #11 - Myles Turner, Sabonis, and SGA. Other guys taken at #11 recently: Devin Vassell, Malik Monk, & Cameron Johnson. All pretty solid players.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh yeah, I was more so trying to say that it's not a big deal that we didn't get the first overall pick because there really isn't a "can't miss prospect" like Wemby, Rose, Kyrie, etc. So I don't think having the 1st overall pick in this draft really means much.

And unfortunately, the strength of a draft class is usually measured by the talent up top. So if it's weaker at the top, the assumption is that it's weaker elsewhere, which is lazy... I agree.

The 2013 draft was a good example. Very weak class was projected, and Anthony Bennett went #1 to Cleveland. Though, nobody really even seemed high on him, he just had the highest grade of what was thought to be a weak class. But Giannis went at #15, and the lottery was littered with a bunch of valuable players like Steve Adams, CJ McCollum, KCP, Oladipo (before injuries), and couple other rotation guys. Gobert went at #27, and Hardaway JR went at #24.

On another note...

In 3 straight years, the following guys were drafted at #11 - Myles Turner, Sabonis, and SGA. Other guys taken at #11 recently: Devin Vassell, Malik Monk, & Cameron Johnson. All pretty solid players.
I did actually go and check after I posted who actually was drafted at 11 recently and yeah, pretty solid group. Doesn't necessarily mean anything for this group of course, but maybe that means a higher chance of a solid player. At the same time though, your chance of drafting like a "star player" is still fairly low (OKC really made out like bandits in that PG/SGA trade huh). That said, if Bulls got a Cam Johnson type at 11, I'd be satisfied I think.

Reactions: BNB

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
That's true but I'd still take pick 1 over 11 obviously. Wasn't like those few extra wins brought any enjoyment this season.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lonzo says on his new podcast that he's about 70% recovered. So...probably like -50% recovered for NBA basketball purposes?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I wouldn't hate a Filipowski pick. But yeah, this is a draft better suited for teams who are built to develop raw talent. Not a lot of NBA ready players.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While Billy ain't going nowhere anytime soon, the Bulls coaching staff did experience some shake up if you haven't followed.

Lead assistant Chris Fleming is out, replacing him will be Wes Unseld Jr, formerly HC of the Wizards and previous AC experience with Nuggets, Warriors, and Magic.

Originally coach Josh Longstaff was perceived to fill the lead AC role, but he has left for the same position in Charlotte.

Additionally, BD's guy Mo Cheeks is expected to take a lesser role starting this season. He is getting up there in age, so this may have been on the horizon regardless.

Bulls are also hiring Clippers assistant Dan Craig, who has spent 4 years under Ty Lue's staff and 4 years with Spoelstra's staff before that. He is expected to share the lead assistant role with Wes Unseld Jr. How that is supposed to work, I have no idea.

What remains to be seen is if any of these assistant coaching shuffles will result in any on court changes as well. Ultimately Billy is still the man at the helm so we could just see more of the same.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
While Billy ain't going nowhere anytime soon, the Bulls coaching staff did experience some shake up if you haven't followed.

Lead assistant Chris Fleming is out, replacing him will be Wes Unseld Jr, formerly HC of the Wizards and previous AC experience with Nuggets, Warriors, and Magic.

Originally coach Josh Longstaff was perceived to fill the lead AC role, but he has left for the same position in Charlotte.

Additionally, BD's guy Mo Cheeks is expected to take a lesser role starting this season. He is getting up there in age, so this may have been on the horizon regardless.

Bulls are also hiring Clippers assistant Dan Craig, who has spent 4 years under Ty Lue's staff and 4 years with Spoelstra's staff before that. He is expected to share the lead assistant role with Wes Unseld Jr. How that is supposed to work, I have no idea.

What remains to be seen is if any of these assistant coaching shuffles will result in any on court changes as well. Ultimately Billy is still the man at the helm so we could just see more of the same.
None of this is gonna do shit without a roster change.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Actually looks like Billy is on the hot seat. I mean, many of us hope he is, and I think he's a great coach. But he doesn't fit here, and might take a NIT borderline Uni and make them a perennial top 12ish school if he just took a college gig, or coached where the Media wasn't pointing arrows before mics as badly as Chicago.

But nevertheless, he needs to be on the hot seat. I'm impressed by moving in the right backup options, and letting them show who wants it most. But not going so big named, it's blatantly obvious, because then they retain the option(professionally speaking) of hiring whoever anyways.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually looks like Billy is on the hot seat. I mean, many of us hope he is, and I think he's a great coach. But he doesn't fit here, and might take a NIT borderline Uni and make them a perennial top 12ish school if he just took a college gig, or coached where the Media wasn't pointing arrows before mics as badly as Chicago.

But nevertheless, he needs to be on the hot seat. I'm impressed by moving in the right backup options, and letting them show who wants it most. But not going so big named, it's blatantly obvious, because then they retain the option(professionally speaking) of hiring whoever anyways.
Well I think it's pretty clear to all that Billy has underperformed with this group, so he rightfully should be on the hot seat. However, given that he had a secret extension and knowing the cheapness of Jerry, I still have my doubts