2025 NFL Draft- keep an eye on this corner

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was watching the Rome Odunze highlights vs Oregon from October 14th, 2023 and #11 from Oregon, Trikweze Bridges, played Odunze very tight. Now, admittedly, Odunze scored the game-winning touchdown on him, but as they say a perfect pass beats perfect coverage every time, and on even on the TD the corner was right there with him. I was generally impressed by how well #11 ran with Odunze.

Now for whatever reason this dude transferred to Florida after the 2023 season, so we're about to see how he does in the SEC and Wide-Receiver U LSU, so I might have to come back and eat my words. But my early view of him is that he kinda reminds me of Wollen for the Seahawks. Long, lanky, and can run.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I was watching the Rome Odunze highlights vs Oregon from October 14th, 2023 and #11 from Oregon, Trikweze Bridges, played Odunze very tight. Now, admittedly, Odunze scored the game-winning touchdown on him, but as they say a perfect pass beats perfect coverage every time, and on even on the TD the corner was right there with him. I was generally impressed by how well #11 ran with Odunze.

Now for whatever reason this dude transferred to Florida after the 2023 season, so we're about to see how he does in the SEC and Wide-Receiver U LSU, so I might have to come back and eat my words. But my early view of him is that he kinda reminds me of Wollen for the Seahawks. Long, lanky, and can run.
My advice to you is to focus on edges and DTs in 2024 college football, not CBs.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone can cover Odunze like a glove. I watched it happen in several games.

How did Bridges do against other wide receivers? That's probably more important.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
My advice to you is to focus on edges and DTs in 2024 college football, not CBs.

Like we need more CowBell.

If we've failed at getting the best CB we need to accept it and move on to fill in other needs.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I maintain that both sides of the line are the most pressing needs of the team, and have been for years. But as a former receiver I always pay attention to what goes on down the field, and in watching college games of our 1st round draft pick, this guy was intriguing.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I maintain that both sides of the line are the most pressing needs of the team, and have been for years. But as a former receiver I always pay attention to what goes on down the field, and in watching college games of our 1st round draft pick, this guy was intriguing.
You being a former receiver, I can see how a receiver's defender would be an interesting position to keep an eye on. However; seeing how the Bears even have a potentially really good backup in Terrell Smith, it would be unwise of the Bears to consider a CB of the Bears to look at the CB position early.

Now if you find him or other CBs intriguing as day 3 possibilities, those should be the type of CBs that could be welcome additions to the Bears.

As an aside, what do you think of the CBs who are part of the Bears currently? Not just the starters but the backend CBs?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You being a former receiver, I can see how a receiver's defender would be an interesting position to keep an eye on. However; seeing how the Bears even have a potentially really good backup in Terrell Smith, it would be unwise of the Bears to consider a CB of the Bears to look at the CB position early.

Now if you find him or other CBs intriguing as day 3 possibilities, those should be the type of CBs that could be welcome additions to the Bears.

As an aside, what do you think of the CBs who are part of the Bears currently? Not just the starters but the backend CBs?
He never mentioned the Bears drafting him. He is simply stating he sees a player that could be a special NFL player. 🤡

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then why are we talking about him in a Bears thread?
This forum opened up to all NFL topics a couple of years ago. It was announced by the CCS staff.

The death of Khyree Jackson has nothing to do with the Bears either, but it's posted here.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

How did Bridges do against other wide receivers? That's probably more important.
Posters that know considerably more about college prospects and the game have tried to educate the forum and you on what they’ve seen from Odunze. That group includes me, @Adipost, @Runruffshod75, @knoxville7, @Hawkeye OG, @Wild_x_Card, @msadows and many others.

Since you don’t get it. I thought I’d include the NFL.com take. Please don’t read Daniel Jeremiah ‘s report.
You’ll be depressed.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 1
NFL Comparison
Larry Fitzgerald

Overview

A team captain with good size and elite ball skills, Odunze consistently dominated his competition. While most receivers look to open separation windows with speed or route running, Odunze seems to relish jump balls and contested catches. He shines in all aspects of ball skills, including positioning, body control, hand strength, timing and mid-air adjustments. He has a tendency to cruise through routes rather than working with attention to detail and pacing.

He was a decorated high school sprinter, so speed should not be an issue in the pros. He’s a high-volume target on the next level that play-callers can utilize to mismatch finesse cornerbacks. Elite ball skills are often the secret sauce for top NFL receivers, so it should not surprise if Odunze is a Day 1 starter who becomes a top-flight WR1.

Strengths

• Carries the frame and play strength of an NFL WR1.
  • Lacks rare speed but should be considered a playmaker.
  • Good separation talent.
  • Early eyes on the football to find positioning as quickly as possible.
  • All-star ball-winner with magnificent body control and acrobatic ball skills.
  • Brilliant job of bodying defenders and controlling air traffic.
  • Is going to be too strong and too skilled for some defenders.
  • Catches with strong, reliable hands away from his frame.

Weaknesses

• Rushes through early stages of his double moves.
  • Upright and gradual into top of the route on comebacks.
  • Attention to detail is missing from his routes.
  • Too content taking 50/50 battles rather than operating at top speed.
  • Room for greater effort as a run blocker.

Sources Tell Us

“Team captain. Good leader. Tough. Dependable. (Michael) Penix would just fling it up in the air sometimes and (Odunze) just went and got it. He’s my favorite player on the West Coast” - NFC regional scout

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Posters that know considerably more about college prospects and the game have tried to educate the forum and you on what they’ve seen from Odunze. That group includes me, @Adipost, @Runruffshod75, @knoxville7, @Hawkeye OG, @Wild_x_Card, @msadows and many others.
4 of the 6 guys you mentioned used to argue with me incessantly about Fields....most times getting really nasty about it.

They too would fall back on draft profiles and how he played at OSU as proof they were right.

How did that work out??

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
4 of the 6 guys you mentioned used to argue with me incessantly about Fields....most times getting really nasty about it.

They too would fall back on draft profiles and how he played at OSU as proof they were right.

How did that work out??
You’re legit a top five moron on this mb and is wrong more often than not to the point you delete posts to cover things up. Maybe try some self reflection

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

• Jaylon Johnson is a technician. You can tell he watches a lot of film on his opponents and prides himself on being able to follow a receiver anywhere on the field. He's a top 5 cover-corner in the league. He deserved the extension he received and the Pro Bowl, but honestly some of the guys behind him might be more physically gifted.
  • Tyrique Stevenson is a mauling cb with great physical skills. He's big, strong, and fast, and plays like he's bigger, stronger, and faster than his opponents. More often than not, that works in his favor. Despite his size, he has very good long speed and can run with receivers on the deep routes. Surprisingly (to me anywah), he also doesn't get in trouble with being too physical at the top of the route, as I once predicted he might, especially during the rookie season when rookies just don't get the same calls that more popular established players get.
  • Kyler Gordon is a savvy CB with fantastic ball skills. He's probably the slowest of the bunch in terms of top straight-line speed, but he's so explosive and athletic in area speed that matters a lot with the nickle. Look for him a lot on Hard Knocks; he's the one that's most poised for becoming both a team and a league star this year.
  • Terrell Smith is the most physically gifted of the Bears cornerbacks, and honestly had he not have gotten injured before the season last year, would have probably earned the starting role over Tyrique Stevenson. He is a couple pounds bigger than Stevenson and not only is he both the quickest and fastest of the Bears defensive backs, he is probably the fastest player on the Bears roster. He has the physical tools to be a dominant player. Had JJ departed, I really was not terribly worried about Tyrique Stevenson and Terrell Smith starting for the Bears this season.
As for Bridges, we'll see how he performs in the SEC. LSU, Alabama, Texas, Georgia, that team in crimson from Norman. Those teams are going to challenge him. He's going to have a lot of opportunities to shine or look bad, which I'm going to guess is probably why he transferred to the SEC in the first place. It will be entertaining to watch, and entertaining to come back to this thread either way.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This was my early assessment of Odunze as well; I didn't feel like he got a lot separation. But like Brandon Marshall, he doesn't seem to need that separation to make plays 🤷‍♂️.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
  • Jaylon Johnson is a technician. You can tell he watches a lot of film on his opponents and prides himself on being able to follow a receiver anywhere on the field. He's a top 5 cover-corner in the league. He deserved the extension he received and the Pro Bowl, but honestly some of the guys behind him might be more physically gifted.
  • Tyrique Stevenson is a mauling cb with great physical skills. He's big, strong, and fast, and plays like he's bigger, stronger, and faster than his opponents. More often than not, that works in his favor. Despite his size, he has very good long speed and can run with receivers on the deep routes. Surprisingly (to me anywah), he also doesn't get in trouble with being too physical at the top of the route, as I once predicted he might, especially during the rookie season when rookies just don't get the same calls that more popular established players get.
  • Kyler Gordon is a savvy CB with fantastic ball skills. He's probably the slowest of the bunch in terms of top straight-line speed, but he's so explosive and athletic in area speed that matters a lot with the nickle. Look for him a lot on Hard Knocks; he's the one that's most poised for becoming both a team and a league star this year.
  • Terrell Smith is the most physically gifted of the Bears cornerbacks, and honestly had he not have gotten injured before the season last year, would have probably earned the starting role over Tyrique Stevenson. He is a couple pounds bigger than Stevenson and not only is he both the quickest and fastest of the Bears defensive backs, he is probably the fastest player on the Bears roster. He has the physical tools to be a dominant player. Had JJ departed, I really was not terribly worried about Tyrique Stevenson and Terrell Smith starting for the Bears this season.
As for Bridges, we'll see how he performs in the SEC. LSU, Alabama, Texas, Georgia, that team in crimson from Norman. Those teams are going to challenge him. He's going to have a lot of opportunities to shine or look bad, which I'm going to guess is probably why he transferred to the SEC in the first place. It will be entertaining to watch, and entertaining to come back to this thread either way.
Do you have any thoughts on the back end players such as Stroman, Blackwell and Jaylon Jones? If I recall, they did pretty well when forced into service in 2022 due to injuries.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was my early assessment of Odunze as well; I didn't feel like he got a lot separation. But like Brandon Marshall, he doesn't seem to need that separation to make plays 🤷‍♂️.
Odunze could be the next Cris Carter for all I know. But IMO, Carter had the best hands I've ever seen. It's okay to have deficiencies in your game, but you better be exceptional elsewhere.

Many posters will downplay the importance of separation now that the Bears drafted Odunze, but that's what they always do.

One of the biggest defenses of the last two QBs (after the o-line) was WRs not getting separation / not getting open. In fact, they attribute a lot of Mahomes success to "WRs are open by 5 yards."

Watch how "separation" is suddenly overrated now.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

How did that work out??
The guys that didn’t draft him, believe in him, or build around him moved on.

It happens especially at QB.

You’re always negative so you’ll be “right” sometimes.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

More lies.