Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
That's how many fumbles Fields has in 35 games. For those not good at math, that's 1 fumble per game.

Just for comparison to other mobile QBs:

Murray: 36 fumbles in 60 games
Hurts: 33 fumbles in 56 games
Allen: 56 fumbles in 89 games
Jackson: 52 fumbles in 82 games

Starting to seem like this is going to plague Fields for years to come. Something to consider if you want to keep Fields.

Can’t ignore this stat. It’s damning and it’s real…you can’t start in the NFL when you average 1 fumble per game. Point blank end of story.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
As far as fumbles are concerned, I agree fields has too many but I think most of that is pressing to win too much.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
As far as fumbles are concerned, I agree fields has too many but I think most of that is pressing to win too much.
Kind of irrelevant tbh. He hunts the big play and doesn’t take what the defense is giving him. He continues to hold onto the ball too long if it’s not a screen pass. Either way, it doesn’t matter the reason….1 fumble per game is 1 fumble per game. No way around it and he hasn’t fixed it

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Its baffling. I'm not overly comcerned with how yesterday's fumbles happened. They were with him attempting to make a play in long distance situations becuase his playcaller was being overly conservative on 1st and 2nd down in a one score game.

What does concern me is how he holds the ball on potential game winning drives in the 4th quarter. He begins to put on tunnel vision and holds the ball up and for as long as possible staring down 1 receiver. Yesterday he did it a few times before the DJ Moore throw. I think we were fortunate yesterdaybthat the Vikings didn't bring pressure that drive. Despite all the time he had, Fields ended up throwing the ball out of blunds at the last second on multiple throws. It was the prime situation for Fields to turnover the ball. But I suppose give him some credit for not doing so.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Its baffling. I'm not overly comcerned with how yesterday's fumbles happened. They were with him attempting to make a play in long distance situations becuase his playcaller was being overly conservative on 1st and 2nd down in a one score game.

What does concern me is how he holds the ball on potential game winning drives in the 4th quarter. He begins to put on tunnel vision and holds the ball up and for as long as possible staring down 1 receiver. Yesterday he did it a few times before the DJ Moore throw. I think we were fortunate yesterdaybthat the Vikings didn't bring pressure that drive. Despite all the time he had, Fields ended up throwing the ball out of blunds at the last second on multiple throws. It was the prime situation for Fields to turnover the ball. But I suppose give him some credit for not doing so.
I like the fact the Fields is learning to throw the ball away, instead of taking sacks.....Fields has improve in that area substantially, imo.....that was a big criticism of mine towards Fields...he would take a sack, instead of throwing it away....

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
I like the fact the Fields is learning to throw the ball away, instead of taking sacks.....Fields has improve in that area substantially, imo.....that was a big criticism of mine towards Fields...he would take a sack, instead of throwing it away....

Curious if he's gotten any better with the fumbles. Anyone know how many fumbles in last 16 games for Fields?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Kind of irrelevant tbh. He hunts the big play and doesn’t take what the defense is giving him. He continues to hold onto the ball too long if it’s not a screen pass. Either way, it doesn’t matter the reason….1 fumble per game is 1 fumble per game. No way around it and he hasn’t fixed it
Dude threw screens and short passes all day yesterday, he clearly was taking what the defense gave him.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We love seeing GROWTH!

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very little to do with the fumbles, especially when he's running it.

For example.... Between 2006-2009, Big Ben was one of the most sacked QBs in the league (189 sacks in 61 games), and in those 61 games, he fumbled it only 35 times.

Fields just can't hold onto the ball. The two he had today, the ball came out so easily.
In Fields’ defense, Big Ben has an uncanny ability to keep a hold of things…all that practice on non-consenting women in public restrooms.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You mean all those Roshon Johnson yards didnt come on post routes?
I personally thought they were on pure go routes. I understand fans frustratations but sometimes it’s pure exaggeration regurgitated over and over. Remember the absolutely stupid “Fields can’t play against zone coverage “ narrative? Some people just come out with new shit every day and Fields disproves it only for them to search for a new flaw

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Dude threw screens and short passes all day yesterday, he clearly was taking what the defense gave him.

Sure he throws a screen when it’s called…but when there’s actual pass plays called he holds the ball instead of taking the layups that keep the chains moving. He hunts big plays. It’s more than evident by now. He’s improved ever so slightly there, but marginally.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

I'm not frustrated at him for simply throwing the ball away. Taking less sacks is great. He still has taken 5 total in the last two games with a healthy OLine wheras Bagent averaged 1 per game.

Either way, my frustration was more about how he held the ball, staring down a receiver until the three man pass rush eventually got to him. He didn't seem to progress through reads or do anything but staredown his guy and wave the football around. The broadcast even focused in on ESB waving his arm wide open on one of those throwaways after multiple seconds of free time in the pocket.

If the Vikings brought more pressure, instead of being conservative, I'm not sure the results are the same. In the end you can't change reality. But I'm not sure I saw any improvement in game winning situation other than being fortunate a few downs that pressure didn't get home.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sure he throws a screen when it’s called…but when there’s actual pass plays called he holds the ball instead of taking the layups that keep the chains moving. He hunts big plays. It’s more than evident by now. He’s improved ever so slightly there, but marginally.
Again this is false, yes Fields hunts for big plays but he does take what the D gives. His issue is pressing when stressed

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's how many fumbles Fields has in 35 games. For those not good at math, that's 1 fumble per game.

Just for comparison to other mobile QBs:

Murray: 36 fumbles in 60 games
Hurts: 33 fumbles in 56 games
Allen: 56 fumbles in 89 games
Jackson: 52 fumbles in 82 games

Starting to seem like this is going to plague Fields for years to come. Something to consider if you want to keep Fields.
Something to consider if you want to replace Fields with Caleb Williams - Caleb Williams has led all of college football in fumbles the past two years.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Something to pay attention to - when Fields is in those last minute drives, see how often Luke getsy pulls them out of 12 personnel, which is where Justin has had the most success, and instead puts him in 11 personnel with zero help on any blocks over his 2-year career under Luke getsy.

If you start to keep track, you'll be shocked at how many times Luke does this to Justin over the past 2 years when they are trying to March down the field and score a game winner.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Again this is false, yes Fields hunts for big plays but he does take what the D gives. His issue is pressing when stressed

It’s not false. He’s again near the top of the league in average time to throw. He holds the ball and he has a fumbling issue. This is magnified when there’s pressure and he has to make quick decisions. The windows close quick.