4 Teams With Serious Interest in Khalil Mack

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Wouldn´t it be an interesting idea to give Trubisky a 3 year extension now?

I don't even know if you'd be allowed to give Trubisky a new contract right now. Doesn't he need to have been in the league for 3 years before you can negotiate a new contract?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's not just giving up 2 high draft picks. It is giving up 2 high draft picks that would be cheap on the rookie scale and then signing Mack to the richest defensive player deal in NFL history. A deal that would limit the Bears in free agency in other areas.

I would only offer one 1st rounder for Mack and if they say no, they say no.

What other areas are you expecting the Bears to spend big money in. We have our QB. We are set at RB. We just spent a fuck ton at WR/TE. We give Fuller a massive deal. We have Smith at ILB and Hicks and Goldman on the DL.

I can't think of a single potential FA, I would rather have more than Khalil Mack.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
What other areas are you expecting the Bears to spend big money in. We have our QB. We are set at RB. We just spent a fuck ton at WR/TE. We give Fuller a massive deal. We have Smith at ILB and Hicks and Goldman on the DL.

I can't think of a single potential FA, I would rather have more than Khalil Mack.
We have Goldman for one more year... He's a FA in 2019. But I agree with your sentiment.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Still trying to clean up his senseless Pace bashing.

Like nobody on here knew that the chance of drafting someone better then Mack will be hard to do.....we all know who Mack is and what he's done but to turn it into a Pace bashing was a typical Remy thing to do when there was no reason for it...FOH

It is clear you don't quite understand since your first posts in this thread that Windy already addressed yet you keep banging this drum about draft picks and signing FAs as if Pace has an impeccable record. He has been hit and miss in both FA and the draft. Khalil Mack is as sure a thing as exists in the NFL.

I'll keep saying what i've been saying in that i'd absolutely love to have K.Mack on the Bears but the cost to get him in draft picks and the $22+ mil per year he wants and with a very very strong free agency and draft for edge rushers i'll pass on Mack and draft one high, sign one in free agency and have L.Floyd as well. Unless one of these young kids we have now really steps up this year then i'd just hit edge rusher hard next offseason.

Damn it i'd love to have K.Mack wearing a Bears uniform though.

It has been 18 years since the Bears drafted someone of Mack's calibre.

The free agent class will get decimated by the tag and re-signings and the draft is a 50/50 crap shoot.

You make the deal because HOF players are super rare and if a team is stupid enough to trade one you say thank you.

And let's be real, if Pace got this done, you would immediately switch up and be like fuck the draft picks and fuck the potential FA signings, Mack is a stud and Pace is a god. Anyone that knows you understands you will support anything Pace ends up doing so your commentary is ultimately meaningless. All we have to do is wait and see whatever Pace does and you will simply fall in line like you always do.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Published: Aug. 29, 2018 at 09:29 a.m.
The New Orleans Saints traded next year's first-round pick for the right to draft pass rusher Marcus Davenport. Now the team needs to figure out how to use the raw, talented player.
Think about that for a second.

Marcus Davenport was worth 2 1st round picks (their own 2018 27th and next year´s 1st rounder) + their 2018 5th round pick.

Think about that some more.

Davenport, an unproven prospect from a small school is worth 2 1st round picks plus a 5th round pick but Mack is not worth more than a 1st round pick?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't even know if you'd be allowed to give Trubisky a new contract right now. Doesn't he need to have been in the league for 3 years before you can negotiate a new contract?

Like I said, it might not be allowed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It is clear you don't quite understand since your first posts in this thread that Windy already addressed yet you keep banging this drum about draft picks and signing FAs as if Pace has an impeccable record. He has been hit and miss in both FA and the draft. Khalil Mack is as sure a thing as exists in the NFL.

And let's be real, if Pace got this done, you would immediately switch up and be like fuck the draft picks and fuck the potential FA signings, Mack is a stud and Pace is a god. Anyone that knows you understands you will support anything Pace ends up doing so your commentary is ultimately meaningless. All we have to do is wait and see whatever Pace does and you will simply fall in line like you always do.

Don't see your point with this post but that's pretty common.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People talk about cap space and high draft picks like they are guarantees, have you not followed the Bears for the last 30 years.

High picks and cap space are chances at getting good players.

If you can guarantee yourself a good player with those picks and cap space then it is something that needs to be explored and done, especially at a premium position.

-Free agency class will get wiped out by tags and re-signings and then you have to recruit them and pay a premium. So you could not even interest them and on top of that you could be paying Olivier Vernon 17/season, which is a worse investment than Khalil Mack at 22 million/season.

-Draft is dependent on whether you are high enough to get a premium pass rusher [see Bradley Chubb] and whether they develop into anything. Joe Banner, former NFL team president, said that the Eagles did a study that 1st round picks were literally a 50/50 coin flip and that was not to become an elite player, but to become a starting calibre NFL player.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Marcus Davenport was worth 2 1st round picks (their own 2018 27th and next year´s 1st rounder) + their 2018 5th round pick.

Davenport, an unproven prospect from a small school is worth 2 1st round picks plus a 5th round pick but Mack is not worth more than a 1st round pick?

Mack is worth much more, but the fact that you have to pay him will keep his value down from being significantly more than Davenport.

But if teams are willing to make that move for Davenport then getting Mack for 2x 1sts is a steal.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I don't think we don't think he's not worth a 1st round pick and then some but do you know the difference in how much money Davenport got in his rookie contract compared to the $22+ mil per Mack will make? Even though i've been arguing against trading for him i've also said many times that i'd love to have him and wouldn't be mad at all if we traded for him but might be disappointed in how much we give up to get him. It's the people acting like trading all that we'd need to and paying him all that money is worth it because we're now gonna be a super bowl type team that bother me cause he hasn't done that in 4 years with the Raiders who are loaded with talent.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not sure why people are terrified of paying Mack 22/season?

We have a QB on a rookie deal, now is the time to spend money.

Most teams have a 20 million/player, it is just at the QB position, we have the luxury of spending it at another position.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. We don't know how good Trubisky is yet. If proves himself over the next 2 years to be a star, he will want an extension after year 3. If he sucks, we need to draft another QB high and if we sign Mack, we wouldn't have the resources to do so.

2. Have to find a way to resign Goldman after next year. He will command top dollar for interior D-Line.

3. Have to be prepared to resign Howard after next year.

4. Have to be prepared to resign Floyd after next year.

5. Injuries and just the nature of the NFL where one day players or positions look like strengths and the next day they suck. I want to have options in free agency.

1. 3 Years is about the time that you can restructure, trade, or cut a player with limited cap hit. At that stage Mack will be 30 and you reassess your needs. Obviously if you sign Mack, you front load his contract which he will like and which we can afford to do with Trubisky being cheap.

2. Goldman is not going to break the bank next year and has been more of an injury risk. You don't pass on Mack to pay Goldman.

3. There is a question as to whether Howard is a good fit for Nagy's offense given his pass catching which is why he was the constant subject of trade rumors. RB is also one of the easier positions to fill. If you sign Mack then you most likely let Howard walk and draft a RB with good pass catching skills to pair with Cohen.

4. Floyd has not proven he deserves a big contract and is only 1 year younger than Mack. Unless he can match Mack's production, you simply let him walk as the 1 year difference in age and the shittier production doesn't warrant choosing Floyd over Mack.

5. This is why shitty teams stay shitty. They are always looking ahead to tomorrow when they imagine they will have all these wonderful options and then tomorrow comes and it is a rainy day. More likely if injuries happen then you will simply cut guys on big contracts that aren't performing.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can pay Mack serious money.....You can probably re-sign Goldman too depending how the deals are structured.........You can get Mack for 3 seasons before Trubisky costs money, hopefully......if you are going to do it, now is the time.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
People talk about cap space and high draft picks like they are guarantees, have you not followed the Bears for the last 30 years.

High picks and cap space are chances at getting good players.

If you can guarantee yourself a good player with those picks and cap space then it is something that needs to be explored and done, especially at a premium position.

-Free agency class will get wiped out by tags and re-signings and then you have to recruit them and pay a premium. So you could not even interest them and on top of that you could be paying Olivier Vernon 17/season, which is a worse investment than Khalil Mack at 22 million/season.

-Draft is dependent on whether you are high enough to get a premium pass rusher [see Bradley Chubb] and whether they develop into anything. Joe Banner, former NFL team president, said that the Eagles did a study that 1st round picks were literally a 50/50 coin flip and that was not to become an elite player, but to become a starting calibre NFL player.

Whole lot of assuming going on here.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We have Goldman for one more year... He's a FA in 2019. But I agree with your sentiment.

I already referenced Goldman in another post regarding options for resigning.

Which current Bears player would you rather have than Mack? The only guys that come to mind are Trubs if he ends up being a Franchise QB. And Trubs will need a big contract just as Mack's contract is winding down so not much overlap. Smith even if he is an All-Pro won't matter as by the time he is due big money Mack's contract will be expiring as well. So let's go through some options.

Hicks - Not a free agent until 2021 and will be 32 so not going to get big money.
Goldman - Free agent this year but unlikely to get more than 10 million a year.
Howard - Free agent in 2019 but RBs don't typically get big money particularly ones that aren't great in passing game as well.
Floyd - Free agent in 2019 and is only a year younger than Mack. No way I choose him over Mack unless Floyd blew the fuck up and became a DPOY of year candidate while Mack bombed.

So really there is no one on this roster whose contract poses a huge issue for the Bears if we got Mack. The Bears are uniquely lined up to be able to fit him into our current cap structure over the next 3-5 years. The only real cost would be us not going after any big name FAs the next couple of years which we probably shouldn't be doing anyway if we addressed pass rush.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whole lot of assuming going on here.

You are assuming that they workout and have guaranteed value.

The rest of us are not assuming. We know that cap space and high picks have no guaranteed value associated to them.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can pay Mack serious money.....You can probably re-sign Goldman too depending how the deals are structured.........You can get Mack for 3 seasons before Trubisky costs money, hopefully......if you are going to do it, now is the time.

You can keep everyone.

Mack's guaranteed money will be gone before Trubisky can be re-signed and then you can make some decisions.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I had a strange thought this morning, not even sure that it is even allowed.

Wouldn´t it be an interesting idea to give Trubisky a 3 year extension now? There is no way that he deserves the big-time money that a top 10-15 QB would get. So the Bears could get him to take an extension that is nice for his current lack of production but would be a sizable savings if he suddenly explodes and would not be that bad if he became a middle of the pack QB. Remember that all contracts are always increasing and the Bears would be extending Trubisky´s 6[SUP]th[/SUP] through 8[SUP]th[/SUP] seasons. So while the numbers would look big today, they would not be so bad when the extension comes around in 6 years.

Of course, it is a gamble, but if Trubisky becomes a top half of the league QB, he would be a serious bargain for 8 years.

Suddenly, Mack or anyone else that they happen to get would be affordable.

Yeah as Kazu pointed out, he has to wait until his 3rd year before he can get an extension.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trading for Khalil Mack may cost you Adrian Amos.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
1. 3 Years is about the time that you can restructure, trade, or cut a player with limited cap hit. At that stage Mack will be 30 and you reassess your needs. Obviously if you sign Mack, you front load his contract which he will like and which we can afford to do with Trubisky being cheap.

2. Goldman is not going to break the bank next year and has been more of an injury risk. You don't pass on Mack to pay Goldman.

3. There is a question as to whether Howard is a good fit for Nagy's offense given his pass catching which is why he was the constant subject of trade rumors. RB is also one of the easier positions to fill. If you sign Mack then you most likely let Howard walk and draft a RB with good pass catching skills to pair with Cohen.

4. Floyd has not proven he deserves a big contract and is only 1 year younger than Mack. Unless he can match Mack's production, you simply let him walk as the 1 year difference in age and the shittier production doesn't warrant choosing Floyd over Mack.

5. This is why shitty teams stay shitty. They are always looking ahead to tomorrow when they imagine they will have all these wonderful options and then tomorrow comes and it is a rainy day. More likely if injuries happen then you will simply cut guys on big contracts that aren't performing.

Yeah. that's the other side of the coin.

What are the chances that we sign Mack and he doesn't get injured and remains a star for a couple of years for us? I would say maybe 60%. Often players are good one day and suck the next all the time. Or they get hurt and then suck.

Also, you have to question his attitude. Sounds like he would actually hold out the entire year on a contending team just to get paid a year early. All about "me" attitude. Sounds like the type of guy that might get his big pay day and then take plays off when things don't go his way.