4 things that WILL happen in the draft for the Bears.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
What's up man? Having a bad day?
Guess i am,just sort of reminds me how back in the day all most everyone complained about how slow Url looked running,then he goes to Arizona and practically won the game all by himself.
Just because your big and look clumbersome doesn't always fit the dud/bust figurative given time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Guess i am,just sort of reminds me how back in the day all most everyone complained about how slow Url looked running,then he goes to Arizona and practically won the game all by himself.
Just because your big and look clumbersome doesn't always fit the dud/bust figurative given time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a falsehood. Nobody criticized Urlacher's speed, until he lost it. The Seattle game where Wilson had a "coming out" comes to mind. Well after the 2006 season.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The slow Urlacher comments I can remember off the top of my head were well past the SB season. It was at the tail end of his career except Brian was such a smart inside linebacker that his drop off in speed didn't make a huge impact on his play since he was way more often than not still in position to make and affect plays. The only thing that I soured on was the fact he priced himself out of the NFL. He could have still played a bit more if he had been realistic to what his actual market value was.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This is a falsehood. Nobody criticized Urlacher's speed, until he lost it. The Seattle game where Wilson had a "coming out" comes to mind. Well after the 2006 season.
Even when we all saw that he lost it, most people were saying that his instincts and intelligence would keep him competitive while he rode off into the sunset. I Ias one of them.

The slow Urlacher comments I can remember off the top of my head were well past the SB season. It was at the tail end of his career except Brian was such a smart inside linebacker that his drop off in speed didn't make a huge impact on his play since he was way more often than not still in position to make and affect plays. The only thing that I soured on was the fact he priced himself out of the NFL. He could have still played a bit more if he had been realistic to what his actual market value was.
On one hand, it is good that he retired with his health intact while he was still playing at a high level. Remember when kreutz left for NO, didn't have it anymore, and retired a few games in?

On the other, fuck he still had fuel in the tank, and Urlacher leaving should have been the sign we needed to know that the next few seasons would be a disaster.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
It's funny how how so many people on here know every thing about this sport and the Bears players yet just like myself have to post on a message board instead of being hired by the team.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's funny how how so many people on here know every thing about this sport and the Bears players yet just like myself have to post on a message board instead of being hired by the team.
Its funny that nobody can think of a single person that thought Urlacher "slow" before the epic "they are who we thought they were" game. Except you.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Would have been a lot better if you said 4 things thay COULD happen.

On the TE issue: I'm still a fan of Shaheen. He has a rate combination of size and athletic ability. Hope he can find a way to stay healthy.

But even if he can, we need a TE to back up Burton in that flies (or whatever you want to call it) role. Shaheen is not the guy to do that...

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Its funny that nobody can think of a single person that thought Urlacher "slow" before the epic "they are who we thought they were" game. Except you.
I will say in all fairness, I have two specific memories about people dismissing Urlacher and I believe they both happened pre-Superbowl. I remember a SI article about how Urlacher was the most overrated player in the league around that time, and while not blaming him for being slow, it is still dismissive of Urlacher's greatness.

My second memory is more specific but I don't remember who said it; but there was a poster on the old cbmb that said our defense would do better with Hillenmeyer while Urlacher was out, and Urlacher would be expendable for a trade the next season. I only remember the claim that Urlacher slowed down because I went on a hyperbolic rant about how bad Hillenmeyer was solely because he had previously been a Packer.

Now I would like to take a moment to remember how great Urlacher was at taking the best angle and beating backs (and Michael Vick) to the sidelines on outside runs. Man alive, pair '06 Urlacher with R. Smith now and I don't think we'd surrender a run more than 5 yards all year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
HH was smart but way undersized and a strong breeze would give him a concussion.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
People litearally don't realize how often teams develop a player only to see them leave and become successful on another team. That is how it goes when players are buried on the depth chart. Especially when its behind players making more money that franchises need to get a return on investment from. Shaheen had no business being buried on the depth chart behind Sims because Sims was bad all around but they paid the big oaf a lot of money and kept forcing him onto the field. Burton is another story because he is a true move TE not an inline TE like Sims and Shaheen are.
Sims only started 4 games and only played the 1st 8 last year. Shaheen was injured in the pre and out the entire time Sims was active. You can suggest that Adam wasn't 100% but Sims had zero effect on Shaheen in 2018.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sims only started 4 games and only played the 1st 8 last year. Shaheen was injured in the pre and out the entire time Sims was active. You can suggest that Adam wasn't 100% but Sims had zero effect on Shaheen in 2018.

Starts don't mean anything. Snap counts are the real indicator of who is getting more playing time. As for the other comment I'm not surprised that Sims saw less action in the 2nd half of the season because by then we already had seen that oddly enough as an undersized TE Burton was still pretty damn servicable as a blocker. Something even I didn't see coming. I really thought he was just a WR in a TE's body.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's like you didn't even read what was posted. I said your scenario of Sims being stuck behind Sims had zero effect on Shaheen's playing time since they were never active at the same time. Shaheen had to wait to come off of preseason IR and Sims was long gone by then.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was further commenting on what you were saying. You're right about how it worked out between Sims and Shaheen last season. It was the prior season where he was intentionally buried on the depth chart by John Fox because you know, fuck rookies. Burton turned out to be such a versatile TE and we had paid him a lot of money as well so he got the lion's share of the TE group last season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
People love to rag on Bears TEs for some Special person reason. They did it with Greg Olson and he turned out to be one of the best TEs in the league when he was actually used. They did it with Burton last offseason then he balled out. Say what you will about Shaheen's injuries but we still don't know what we even have in the guy because he is rarely running routes and is actually targeted even less frequently. I'm going to laugh when Shaheen finally is allowed to run routes with frequency and blows up. That may end up being on another team at the current rate he's being underutilized. But make no mistake he is still an open ended story.

I agree and have said the same things about Shaheen and how all the people that are calling him a bust before we've even been able to see what he can do when healthy and when he's actually being used on the field are morons. I don't know what the KID will do when he's healthy but he showed in college and even when he was actually used when he was healthy since he's been with us that he has the skills to be a good TE in this league. He just needs to stay healthy long enough to get some good game play in and play in multiple games to get himself going. My biggest worry with him is if M.Nagy. I'm worried Nagy could do with Shaheen what he did with Howard and tell Pace he doesn't fit his system and not even give the KID a real shot. If that happens then Pace could even put him on the trade block and trade him before next season even starts and then with our luck he blows up with whatever team he's traded to.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
So far, Nagy has been more of the type to target a player, and makes the necessary moves to get him. He is not a passive manager by any stretch of the imagination.
Agreed. Pace sure does lots of jumping around, especially trading up for the player he wants.

Pace has traded down (in 2016, before Whitehair), but without looking at the number, I'd think Pace is twice as likely to trade up than down. This being a 'contending year', I wouldn't be too surprised to see Pace do a small trade up with the first pick, and then a small trade down to recoup the pick he lost.

With only 5 picks, I could see Pace not move at all this year. I don't think it's in his nature to trade down on that first pick... no one would blame him, this is a year to get an impact player.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree and have said the same things about Shaheen and how all the people that are calling him a bust before we've even been able to see what he can do when healthy and when he's actually being used on the field are morons. I don't know what the KID will do when he's healthy but he showed in college and even when he was actually used when he was healthy since he's been with us that he has the skills to be a good TE in this league. He just needs to stay healthy long enough to get some good game play in and play in multiple games to get himself going. My biggest worry with him is if M.Nagy. I'm worried Nagy could do with Shaheen what he did with Howard and tell Pace he doesn't fit his system and not even give the KID a real shot. If that happens then Pace could even put him on the trade block and trade him before next season even starts and then with our luck he blows up with whatever team he's traded to.

Anyone that remembers me from the CBMB knows I was a Greg homer. I rarely make statements about me believing a player has the tools to be among the best but its only because I rarely get that gut feeling with players we draft. I got that feeling with Olsen, Knox, Jeffery and Fuller but I got that same butterflies feeling from when we drafted Shaheen. I got shredded by a few people over Knox because no one wanted to believe he could improve his route running. Unfortunately his tale ended with that gruesome injury so we never got to find out. Shaheen has been a disappointment to me in terms of his playing time. Whether its been because of injury or the guys ahead of him, he just hasn't been able to show out. I'm still holding out that hope.

As for what you said about Nagy, unless he makes me lose trust in his offense this coming season then I will differ to his determination on what makes it hum. Its easy for me to say just let him run routes and throw him the god dang ball. But the reality is that maybe most of the time Shaheen being on the field screws up how he likes to set up the field for plays in his offense. We just don't know yet.