80 year old Chicago man kills home invader

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/year-old-chicago-man-kills-armed-home-invader/

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

Published May 26, 2010

FOXNews.com

"An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city's West Side.

At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

"It's a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead," said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Neighbors described the elderly couple, who both walk with canes, as pillars of the community in Garfield Park, where home invasions have been all too frequent.

Their neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, told MyFoxChicago that the two are "heroes" for fighting off the attacker — and that the shooting means there is "one less criminal" walking the streets.

"They don't bother no one, so why would anyone do that to them?" she said.

Relatives of the couple told the Sun Times that the man is an Army veteran, his wife a former nurse. Police said neither the man nor the woman was injured in the attack.

The assailant, who was described by police as being in his 30s, was found slumped on the back doorstep of the couple's house, removed four hours after the shooting, the Sun Times reported.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

"Self-defense isn't just a right, it's a duty," said attorney Joel Brodsky. "If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it's not just a travesty, it's justice turned inside out."

On the radio they said this guy had a 13 page rap sheet.

One less dirtball on the street.

B.T.W. The 80 year old was a Korean War Vet. Hats off to this guy.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good thing he killed him... I heard if you only injure an intruder that the intruder can sue you for damages? The intruder still goes to jail, but he can still sue the guy who shot them?

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bravo

Korean War Vet with a gun.... he understands his rights.

Any of you see Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood.

What is really interesting is how the City of Chicago pursues this

since handguns are illegal within the city limits. Assuming of course

it was a handgun. I noticed how the story does not specify the type

of weapon that was used.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]Bravo

Korean War Vet with a gun.... he understands his rights.

Any of you see Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood.

What is really interesting is how the City of Chicago pursues this

since handguns are illegal within the city limits. Assuming of course

it was a handgun. I noticed how the story does not specify the type

of weapon that was used.[/quote]

Daley does have a press conference this morning (unrelated to this issue) but I'm sure he will be asked about it. I know he will steer clear of it but I hope he does try to charge the homeowner. It would open up a HUGE can of worms for Daley and I'd love it.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed.

Kudos to the lawyer for stepping up to the plate as well!

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="klemmer"]Agreed.

Kudos to the lawyer for stepping up to the plate as well![/quote]

For once, a good thing!

Tommy 0

Liked Posts:
Before this even hit the news, My Buddy is a Lt in that district and called me i asked him the same thing. I said John tell me how is your boss Jody and King Richard going to address the having a hand gun. His answer to me was we are all told to mention what type of weapon the old timer used. Isnt that interesting?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stu--that's why you fire twice...once to disable, the other to kill.

Now, where's the intruder's family saying it wasn't fair, they had no reason to kill him, blah blah blah.

IMHO it's your property--shoot/stab/slice/bludgeon first, THEN call the police.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
Not that I want to stir this potential shit-pot anymore, but the article in the Trib (Redeye) I read at lunch mentioned it was a handgun the owner had.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
If the dudes a Korean War Veteran he's probably had the gun for a while and before the handgun ban. That would make it all legal under the grandfather clause. Thats my understanding.

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
Never fuck with an Octogenarian, least of all one that has a gun.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[quote name="Ymono37"]Not that I want to stir this potential shit-pot anymore, but the article in the Trib (Redeye) I read at lunch mentioned it was a handgun the owner had.[/quote]

And the sad thing that a lot of people can't see on that is:

Would it make any difference if he shot him with a shotgun? Would it make any difference if he stabbed him with a knife? Decapitated him with a sword? Bludgeoned him with a Louisville Slugger? Stabbed him though the eye with a soldering iron? Beat him to death with the Sunday Tribune?

No. An armed intruder threatened the life and property of an elderly couple, and was killed as the result. How is irrelevant; the elderly man did the human race a favor.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I am not mistaken owning a handgun in the city limits is illegal but not a shotgun

or rifle if appropriately registered. Is that true? If so, it is the reason why it is a big

deal and also the reason why the ban in Chicago is going before the Supreme Court.

This has incredible timing.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]If I am not mistaken owning a handgun in the city limits is illegal but not a shotgun

or rifle if appropriately registered. Is that true? If so, it is the reason why it is a big

deal and also the reason why the ban in Chicago is going before the Supreme Court.

This has incredible timing.[/quote]

I still think this guys handgun was completely legal under the grandfather clause, my dads friend has his gun/guns legally under the same one.

And I still don't see the need for handguns, sure the handgun helped this guy and his wife, but a shotgun would have done the job, and it would have been a way better headline. "80 year old Vet blows off intruders head to save wife".....assuming the press would embellish the story.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]If I am not mistaken owning a handgun in the city limits is illegal but not a shotgun

or rifle if appropriately registered. Is that true?
If so, it is the reason why it is a big

I believe that is correct sir. Thus Daley ducking away from this like Maiden from a free Barker jersey.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]

I still think this guys handgun was completely legal under the grandfather clause, my dads friend has his gun/guns legally under the same one.

And I still don't see the need for handguns, sure the handgun helped this guy and his wife, but a shotgun would have done the job, and it would have been a way better headline. "80 year old Vet blows off intruders head to save wife".....assuming the press would embellish the story.[/quote]

A handgun is less lumpy than a shotgun under a mattress or pillow.

Tommy 0

Liked Posts:

Icehog you are 100% correct with your statement you cannot own a handgun in Chicago. shotgun yes rifle yes handgun NO. Unless your a Cop or Retired Cop.

Tommy 0

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Rdrhwke"]Good for him. he did the community a huge favor.[/quote]

How about it. Job well done.

Tommy 0

Liked Posts:
I live in a decent neighborhood in Oak Lawn all the houses were built in my area from 1970 till maybe 1985 all modest homes i live in a 3 step ranch most houses are the same . 2 weeks ago a neighbors house was broken into ransacked and robbed the older woman who lives there 2 doors down to the north thankfully wasnt home at the time. Anyway the 2 assholes were caught walking down the street a block away with a large flat screen tv wrapped in a bed sheet.The Police caught them, and one of the punks had a .38 revolver on him they were Bogan High School Students . Anyway i am sorry her house was robbed and glad that mine wasnt but in a way wish i was home when the little prick breaks a window and climbs thru with a gun to steal my hard earned property . And i really find it commical that at least 5 people in the neighborhood seen the 2 assholes walking down the street with the TV, and NOBODY called the Cops, including the womans son in law who lives a few blocks away. I dont know if People are Dumb or are affraid to call the Cops when they see 2 People obviously dont look like a resident of the Neighborhood.