[A] Closing On Playoff Clinch: CHI 4, STL 3 (SO)

Mach29

Liked Posts:
Everythings falling into place for a serious run, Toews and Keith on their way back, Crawford doing pretty good - we do need to find a way against Nashville if we plan to meet up with them more than one game. They are the only team that we can't seem to get a handle on.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
That hit on TJ Oshie was puuurrrrty.

The 2 on 0 was purrrrrtier.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Everythings falling into place for a serious run, Toews and Keith on their way back, Crawford doing pretty good - we do need to find a way against Nashville if we plan to meet up with them more than one game. They are the only team that we can't seem to get a handle on.

What about LA?

Ton

Liked Posts:
I don't understand.

If it's virtually impossible for both the Sharks or Kings to win out, and either one of them or the Yotes won't make it, I don't see how we're not already in.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Why can't the Sharks beat the Kings twice and run out the rest of their games, or vice versa, the Kings beat the Sharks twice and run out the rest of their games?[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It seems to me that both teams, obviously, can't run out the season, but one of the two could if they sweep both games, and if they split their two games, neither team will. [/font]

Both teams need 96 points to bump the Blackhawks out of the playoffs, there is no scenario that is possible.

If the Sharks beat the Kings twice and win the rest of their games, that means the Kings would have 94 points and Sharks would have 96 points. If the Kings beat San Jose twice and win out the rest of their games the Sharks would have 92 points while the Kings would have 98 points. If they split the series, the Kings would have 96 points and the Sharks would have 94 points.

If they split the season series with 3 point games, the Kings would have 97 points and the Sharks would have 95 points. We would break the tie-breaker due to the fact that it is impossible for the Sharks to beat us in ROW wins.

There is no scenario that the Hawks can miss as the Sharks are the 9th seed and Kings are the 8th seed, anyone below them cannot catch-up to the Hawks anymore. The only reason this is not official is because its "mathematically" possible for the Sharks and Kings to have 96 points or more, but it's impossible due to the schedule since they are playing each other and both must win out.

On another note: If the Sharks lose their next game (Reg or OT), the Hawks will be mathematically in.

To make things more complicated, the Stars enter the fray as another team that must win out but they play the Sharks twice. They have 89 points and could end up with 99 points if they win out. If they lose both games to the Sharks, they would end up with 95 points and would need 3 regulation wins in their remaining 3 games against the Canucks, Blues and Predators. If they beat the Sharks in any of those games we are in. Really though, it just boils down to the Kings and Sharks as well as the schedule, the Stars just make the situation more complicated. The Yotes are somewhere in there, but their schedule has no conflictions with any team that matters so they can technically win out without effecting the other teams "in the hunt"

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow! We won! Please, pass the crow!

The good:

Hammer finally hit like a...hammer.

With Brunette/Kane/Hossa and Sharp/Kruger/Stalberg's games...if that chemistry lasts it will be hard to Re-slot Toews...which is a very good problem to have.

The bad:

Craw...you need to close that 5-hole...close it off like your asshole walking through a prison shower. If you continue to let those in the lay-fans will overlook all of your good saves.

The ugly:

In an otherwise good game...A core player makes a turn-over at the blueline which leads to yet another goal (this time Kane). STOP THAT!

And yeah, Oduya has been monster. We took the season series from the tough Blues so it was very, very good. Now, 4 games to address the backend and we should be golden.
<

Ton

Liked Posts:
After doing a bit more digging, there is still one scenario where the Hawks can miss the playoffs:

The Sharks must win out every game, but must go to OT with LA twice, while the Kings win the rest of their games. This would give the Sharks and Kings 96 points each. Meanwhile Dallas must lose to the Sharks in both their games, if they do not go to OT in either game and the Sharks win in regulation, the Stars must win the remaining of their 3 games in regulation where they will beat the Hawks in ROW and have 95 points. If either of those games go into OT it would require the Hawks to gain 1 or 2 more points along the way.

So it's not impossible. I edited the article for accuracy, but it's extremely unlikely for the Hawks to miss the playoffs at this point. I would NOT bet on it! If the Kings lose tonight in any fashion, the Hawks are in.

inhoc83

Liked Posts:
If my math is correct, the only way the Hawks don't make the playoffs is if:

-They fail to gain a single point the rest of the season - 95pts

-San Jose Wins their 4 remaining games in OT or the Shootout. -96pts

-Phx gains 7 points out of 4 remaining games - 96pts

-LA wins it's next 3 games against Min, Edm (2) and Loses it's last 2 in OT/SO to San Jose- 96pts

-Dal Wins 3 games (Van, Stl. Nas) and loses in OT/SO to San Jose - 97pts

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last night at the game I was once again astounded by Shaw on the ice. That guy is everywhere not to mention the hit of the game.

Oduya was certainly another standout as well.

That play by Hossa with the back hand would have been a thing of beauty had it found its mark. Actually it was a thing of beauty without even going in the net. What a play.

Ton

Liked Posts:
If my math is correct, the only way the Hawks don't make the playoffs is if:

-They fail to gain a single point the rest of the season - 95pts

-San Jose Wins their 4 remaining games in OT or the Shootout. -96pts

-Phx gains 7 points out of 4 remaining games - 96pts

-LA wins it's next 3 games against Min, Edm (2) and Loses it's last 2 in OT/SO to San Jose- 96pts

-Dal Wins 3 games (Van, Stl. Nas) and loses in OT/SO to San Jose - 97pts

Correct, basically the only situation they will miss.

R K

Hawks will add more points. Now can they catch the two teams in front of them is the better question.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Hawks will add more points. Now can they catch the two teams in front of them is the better question.

No doubt. Just think it's worth an explanation on why they have not "mathematically" clinched yet. It will be difficult to pass Detroit or Nashville for the 5th or 4th seed. Both have a game in hand, most-likely we will end up right where we are -- 6th place.

R K

No doubt. Just think it's worth an explanation on why they have not "mathematically" clinched yet. It will be difficult to pass Detroit or Nashville for the 5th or 4th seed. Both have a game in hand, most-likely we will end up right where we are -- 6th place.

You win out, it's def possible.

Ton

Liked Posts:
You win out, it's def possible.

Sure but with Keith missing a few more games and Toews still out, chances are we won't win out. Not saying it's impossible, because it is more-likely that we can be the 4th seed than missing the playoffs entirely, but I just don't think it's probable. Those last games against Nashville and Detroit will be extremely important.

That said, I wouldn't count the Hawks out at all either (for the 5th and 4th spot).

R K

Wings have a very tough schedule. Nash not so much

Wings

Preds

Panthers

Blues

Devils

Hawks

Preds

Wings

Hawks

Wild

Stars

Avs

You could def catch the Wings but that probably means you play the Preds in the first round.

Will be interesting.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Wings have a very tough schedule. Nash not so much

Wings

Preds

Panthers

Blues

Devils

Hawks

Preds

Wings

Hawks

Wild

Stars

Avs

You could def catch the Wings but that probably means you play the Preds in the first round.

Will be interesting.

Fuck that

Mach29

Liked Posts:
I already talked over the plan with Joel: start from 6th seed, knock out Dallas and the Wings knock off Nashville and we duke it out with them for the Nuckleheads. He seemed okay with that.