A crystallized thought on Trubisky and Bears

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I was listening to Spiegel and Parkins this morning (Tuesday morning here) and a caller managed to perfectly distil my own thoughts on the current Bears situation. They were discussing Watson/Trubisky and whether #10 has it.

Essentially this caller said that while there are a few scary things in Mitch's play, he thinks he passes the eye test and that there is no doubt in his mind that he CAN be a franchise QB. They talked about concerns about how damaged he's been by Fox but concluded that he'll likely be OK. But the caller then asked how anyone can have any faith at all that the Bears are going to get the next coaching hire right to enable Trubisky to flourish like Goff?

We are all sitting here putting up profiles of Nagy, DeFilippo, Patricia and all these guys discussing the pros and cons of each. But just look at the hires this organisation has made. To be clear, this isn't a direct criticism of Pace and I don't want to get sucked into another yawnfest about his position and record. But but do any of us have any expectation that we bring in the right guy? And if they fired Pace tomorrow I'd probably have even less faith that Philipps and whichever consultant he brings in could get a GM AND a coaching hire right!

To me, in a vacuum, it is WAY more likely and believable that Trubisky turns into a top 10 QB than it is that the Bears hire an innovative coach that can help Trubisky reach his ceiling.

Only a few weeks to go til we find out but while a Rams-like transformation is possible if they get everything right, the wrong coaching hire could destroy what's left of Trubisky and consign us to eternal Browns. I want to try and tap into some positivity I guess but I'm largely out judging by the time of this post!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There has to be doubt, we have not seen enough to say there is no doubt.

I like what I see. The fact that he has moments in this offense that was designed in crayon is encouraging.

But I cannot sit here and tell you he is good.

Nicker

Liked Posts:
To be honest, I have a slight fear growing that Trubisky might develop into a Tannehill like QB.
I always have to start by saying I was happy the bears got trubisky and thought he was the best QB coming out last year. But I share these sentiments. He is showing some real signs of concern. The fact that he can be so wildly inaccurate is bad. But couple that with his tendency to stare down receivers, have poor pocket awareness and there are definitely some troubling signs.

That's not the worst part though, the worst part is it looks like he isn't so much trying to win, as he's trying not to lose. He looks timid and unsure of himself. He has that look on his face that Rex Grossman had after he had the Arizona game and he was bombarded with doubters. That's scary...

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I have faith Mitch will be fine. He is good in things you can't coach, and needs work in the things you CAN coach, which is why I have faith in him.

You touched on the reality though - coaching. In a season of questionable coaching decisions in every game, the Bears are are I believe 2-7 in games decided by a TD or less. Better coaching makes that 5-4 or 4-5, which puts the Bears at likely 7-9, 8-8 for the season.

Are we still firing Pace then? Are we still questioning everything then? That would have put the Bears right about where most people had them before the season. I doubt it.

It's all about the coach now. Grossman, Orton, McNown never had what this kid has in terms of raw material to be molded. To waste him on bad coaching would be criminal. So, yes. Pace's neck is on the line. That said, even if Pace hires an average coach, he will be safe, because I think if Mitch can do what he does with this shit staff, anything is better.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I always have to start by saying I was happy the bears got trubisky and thought he was the best QB coming out last year. But I share these sentiments. He is showing some real signs of concern. The fact that he can be so wildly inaccurate is bad. But couple that with his tenancy to stare down receivers, have poor pocket awareness and there are definitely some troubling signs.

That's not the worst part though, the worst part is it looks like he isn't so much trying to win, as he's trying not to lose. He looks timid and unsure of himself. He has that look on his face that Rex Grossman had after he had the Arizona game and he was bombarded with doubters. That's scary...
Had those concerns. But they went away when they showed him rallying the line on the sidelines. Kid has the mental toughness to be here.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
Jake Locker 2.0, they even wear the same number.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Bears probably bring back Fox or hire Jeff Fisher. I have no confidence they make a good coaching decision.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I always have to start by saying I was happy the bears got trubisky and thought he was the best QB coming out last year. But I share these sentiments. He is showing some real signs of concern. The fact that he can be so wildly inaccurate is bad. But couple that with his tenancy to stare down receivers, have poor pocket awareness and there are definitely some troubling signs.

This is about as close as anyone has come to my thoughts. The scary thing is that accuracy was supposed to be his strong point. Pinpoint accuracy and much better NFL-style technique than the back yard ballers like Watson and Mahomes, is what they told us. Yeah right ....

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I have faith Mitch will be fine. He is good in things you can't coach, and needs work in the things you CAN coach, which is why I have faith in him.

You touched on the reality though - coaching. In a season of questionable coaching decisions in every game, the Bears are are I believe 2-7 in games decided by a TD or less. Better coaching makes that 5-4 or 4-5, which puts the Bears at likely 7-9, 8-8 for the season.

Are we still firing Pace then? Are we still questioning everything then? That would have put the Bears right about where most people had them before the season. I doubt it.

It's all about the coach now. Grossman, Orton, McNown never had what this kid has in terms of raw material to be molded. To waste him on bad coaching would be criminal. So, yes. Pace's neck is on the line. That said, even if Pace hires an average coach, he will be safe, because I think if Mitch can do what he does with this shit staff, anything is better.

I guess I see it slightly differently. I think we can agree Trubisky needs a ton of work. A mediocre coach that leads him to become an average to good QB and doesnt help him reach his ceiling is probably not a good enough return on investment for the 2nd overall pick and likely gets Pace fired.

We're in danger of being so beaten down by terrible coaching that we are not aiming high enough. Similarly, the really good work that Pace has done in the draft is seen as miraculous by some because of the decades of incompetent drafting we've seen.

There is no one behind Pace that can help with this. So we are left with a momentous, franchise changing decision being taken by one man alone with no useful input from anyone else. As much as I like some of what Pace has done, that is a terrifying prospect.

Especially because there is no slam dunk hire like McVay or Shannahan this year. They all have their warts. If Pace does manage to get this right then he will deserve all the plaudits coming his way. If he gets it wrong then the franchise is screwed. No GM, a broken Trubisky and no one in the organisation with a single clue about what to do about it. I guess this is what is so terrifying - we're stumbling around hoping to God that Pace and Trubisky are the real deals because if they aren't we're back to George and Ted throwing Acorsi darts at a wall.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
This is about as close as anyone has come to my thoughts. The scary thing is that accuracy was supposed to be his strong point. Pinpoint accuracy and much better NFL-style technique than the back yard ballers like Watson and Mahomes, is what they told us. Yeah right ....

I'm not quite as down on him as you are although we were both big Watson believers in the draft process. But he does need a lot of coaching and we have nothing but faith that the organisation will get the right guy in to do that work. This is what happens when you are an organisational dumpster fire. You have to hope that a GM you picked based on potential identified by someone outside your building will get his first full coaching hire right with no help.

MonkeyPox

Liked Posts:
You've got nothing to stand on in regards to faith, that they will make a good coaching hire. This organization scares away good coaching through inept ownership, and has for decades. If the Bears get it right with the next coach, it will be dumb fucking luck. This team is a complete organizational failure, especially at the top. The best thing fans can do is stop watching until the McCaskeys stop meddling.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I've got a small residual amount of faith that Pace will get the right guy based on his time in New Orleans where he saw what a viable, long term HC looks like. Whatever else he has done here, he at least has that going for him in this process.

I have zero faith in anyone else in the organisation to contribute anything positive or even stay out of it enough to be a neutral factor.

If I'm Pace and I'm torn between two guys, I ask Teddy and George what they think and pick the other one.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I guess I see it slightly differently. I think we can agree Trubisky needs a ton of work. A mediocre coach that leads him to become an average to good QB and doesnt help him reach his ceiling is probably not a good enough return on investment for the 2nd overall pick and likely gets Pace fired.

We're in danger of being so beaten down by terrible coaching that we are not aiming high enough. Similarly, the really good work that Pace has done in the draft is seen as miraculous by some because of the decades of incompetent drafting we've seen.

There is no one behind Pace that can help with this. So we are left with a momentous, franchise changing decision being taken by one man alone with no useful input from anyone else. As much as I like some of what Pace has done, that is a terrifying prospect.

Especially because there is no slam dunk hire like McVay or Shannahan this year. They all have their warts. If Pace does manage to get this right then he will deserve all the plaudits coming his way. If he gets it wrong then the franchise is screwed. No GM, a broken Trubisky and no one in the organisation with a single clue about what to do about it. I guess this is what is so terrifying - we're stumbling around hoping to God that Pace and Trubisky are the real deals because if they aren't we're back to George and Ted throwing Acorsi darts at a wall.
The one point I was making noise that I think of mediocre coach or rather an average one wood make Mitch into someone who is a great quarterback simply because Mitch himself in my opinion has greatness in him.

An even better coach who will get the absolute most out of him and we will be seeing multiple Super Bowls.

That is how strongly I believe in trubisky. And again it comes down to the things he has that cannot be coached. It's like things that he needs to be coached on that are going to determine just how far he goes, but I always think he's going to be able level up from whatever level the head coach or offensive coordinator is provided they are competent.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm fine with Mitchell's progression beyond the overall team results. The traits are fine for where he is and getting better. There were more errors last week but it's to be expected as they allow him more freedom. I'm just glad that freedom looks to have arrived. Way too early to try and compare him to other established QBs. Many of us have already made that mistake with Kap, RG3, Foles, Dalton etc. The Manning and Rodgers counter compares are equally obtuse. He was a pick that all knew would need at least a year to understand the NFL game.

I would have preferred a slightly more accelerated pace but that's also difficult with a HC that was trying to save his job and the associated players Mitch has had to work with. Nobody in that O has the option to see something and make a play instead of holding their route etc like established players in established systems can do. We've been watching this through a significant governor.

He's likely in a new O in 2018 so we will know a lot more by about midseason of next year but probably won't know exactly what we have until year 3. I've said it many times. QB is about the long game but that doesn't fit the current instant gratification needs of many fans. After years of mediocrity and worse, I understand the frustration.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

I like what I see. The fact that he has moments in this offense that was designed in crayon is encouraging.

Right now, if someone were to force the shoopster to make a judgment, The Frisky One is OK. Kyle Orton-OK.

Is that worth a #2 pick. Obviously not. Thus the scrutiny and concern.

He may get where he needs to be, but not with John Fox, Duh-well Loggains, or Dave "On the Rag" Raggine. And the longer he's exposed to them, the more of a project he becomes.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

OP is not questioning Mitchell Trubisky, he’s questioning if anyone on the Bears payroll will bring in the right coach for Trubisky.