A Different Offseason Plan

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Texas Rangers, the Seattle Mariners, the Blue Jays, the Braves, the Angels, there are plenty of teams. And it really isn't overpaying, the guy puts up solid numbers year in and year out.
1.Braves have Freddie Freeman who's major league ready
2. Remember Kendry Morales? I don't think you do if you think the Angels need 1st base help in the offseason.
3. I can agree w/ the Rangers, but the Mariners have Smoak and I doubt that they're gonna give up on him after passing on Jesus Montero for him.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? Let's go through some:

Offering this to Dunn's agent would probably ensure that you never deal with that agent (or any of the players he represents) again. You offer an incentive-laden deal to an aging player that tested FA and got nothing after a horrendous season or two. You don't even mention anything less than a four-year deal to one of the top power and on-base hitters in the game today.

What's more, the base salary (with a few incentives thrown in) puts Adam Dunn in the same salary group as Carlos Pena and Carlos Guillen, and it also means that Dunn is going to have to take a pay cut to play with the Cubs and watch Prince Fielder get a mega-deal from a contender. That's laughable.

:lmao: This speaks for itself.

If I was the Cubs? I wouldn't pursue him. There's no reason to. This team isn't an Adam Dunn away from being a playoff contender, much less a WS contender, and probably won't be in a position to make a run for another 3 years at least, so signing Dunn would just be pissing money away for no good reason.

Now, if I was some other, better team looking to add a bat for a serious playoff run, I'd offer to make him one of the highest-paid 1B's in the MLB, so we're talking a low-end base salary of $16-$18 million a year, probably on the order of 5 years running ($85 million total), with the upper-limit being a Teixeira-type salary for 5-6 years ($110-$120 million total). Of course, I would have to factor in other team needs and costs, division, longevity of proposed competitiveness, etc., but this I think would be a good start.
I really can't see Dunn getting Teixeria like money since he's just average defensively at best at 1st. Will he get a ton of money on the open market? Yes. Will he get close to Teixeria money? Doubt it

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2. Remember Kendry Morales? I don't think you do if you think the Angels need 1st base help in the offseason.
3. I can agree w/ the Rangers, but the Mariners have Smoak and I doubt that they're gonna give up on him after passing on Jesus Montero for him.

I just looked at the worst 1B production this year. I see him staying in the National League though.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Rangers don't have money and that's why I doubt ge goes there.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The Rangers don't have money and that's why I doubt ge goes there.

How do you know how much their new ownership has? They've only owned them for a couple days.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
How do you know how much their new ownership has? They've only owned them for a couple days.

Well the highest bidder never won and they gave it to a guy who has money but not tons like owners usually have. Even if they do have money, I doubt he goes there.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You think Nolan Ryan and Chick Greenberg won't spend any money?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
You think Nolan Ryan and Chick Greenberg won't spend any money?

No they will but not much. I just don't think they will give 12-15M a year for Dunn. They will go for pitching then for that kind of contract.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Orange=Yes but don't have money.
Blue=Yes but I dount they will pay for him because of what they did with Figgins. Also, they have Kotchman.
Green=Overbay, the Jays front office love him and I doubt they pay his contract.
Yellow=I could see it.
Purple=Kendry Morales.

Dunn will stay in NL because he does not want to play DH. That's what I think.

Overbay probably isn't going to return next season, pretty well known to Jays fans, and the Braves have Freddie Freeman who is most likely going to be up with the team next year.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
I really can't see Dunn getting Teixeria like money since he's just average defensively at best at 1st. Will he get a ton of money on the open market? Yes. Will he get close to Teixeria money? Doubt it

No one is saying that he will get 8 yrs/180 mil or 20+ mil a year...

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Yanks is the only team that would give a player that contract and they won't get Dunn because they will have no interest and Dunn does not want to be DH.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I was the Cubs? I wouldn't pursue him. There's no reason to. This team isn't an Adam Dunn away from being a playoff contender, much less a WS contender, and probably won't be in a position to make a run for another 3 years at least, so signing Dunn would just be pissing money away for no good reason.

Hence why its more of a lowball offer.

If somehow in hell he doesn't come out with other big offers.. The Cubs get a steal.

I'm sure as hell not gonna pay Dunn as much as Fielder.. Wanna know why? Check their respective ages. The Cubs are already dealing with 30+ year olds that are overpaid and under performing.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Agree with CNM.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Hence why its more of a lowball offer.

If somehow in hell he doesn't come out with other big offers.. The Cubs get a steal.

I'm sure as hell not gonna pay Dunn as much as Fielder.. Wanna know why? Check their respective ages. The Cubs are already dealing with 30+ year olds that are overpaid and under performing.

No, you're missing the point. This isn't just a win-win situation for the Cubs, where lowballing Dunn isn't likely to have any negative repercussions because the worst he could do is turn you down. If you lowball Dunn with the kind of offers people have been throwing out (short-term deals, base salaries that are, in fact, a pay cut to Dunn,etc.), you would be the laughingstock of baseball, and it would be highly unlikely that Dunn's agent and any other players he represents would be willing to work with your GM again. That's my point, this isn't just a win-win, there are definitely far-reaching implications if the the situation is not handle accordingly, and if the Cubs aren't really interested in signing Dunn, then don't even try to low-ball him, just don't pursue him.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, you're missing the point. This isn't just a win-win situation for the Cubs, where lowballing Dunn isn't likely to have any negative repercussions because the worst he could do is turn you down. If you lowball Dunn with the kind of offers people have been throwing out (short-term deals, base salaries that are, in fact, a pay cut to Dunn,etc.), you would be the laughingstock of baseball, and it would be highly unlikely that Dunn's agent and any other players he represents would be willing to work with your GM again. That's my point, this isn't just a win-win, there are definitely far-reaching implications if the the situation is not handle accordingly, and if the Cubs aren't really interested in signing Dunn, then don't even try to low-ball him, just don't pursue him.

Where's that mega deal that he should be on now then?

You'd think a guy that basically averages 40 bombs a year would have that deal already.

--------

Quite frankly, I think Hendry is the laughing stock of MLB right now for handing over bloated contracts. At least to the media and fans.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Where's that mega deal that he should be on now then?

You'd think a guy that basically averages 40 bombs a year would have that deal already.

This makes no sense. So because Dunn doesn't have a mega-deal in place, that's a perfectly "acceptable" reason (from the viewpoint of Dunn's agent and other agents around the MLB) to low-ball the shit out of him? Come on.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This makes no sense. So because Dunn doesn't have a mega-deal in place, that's a perfectly "acceptable" reason (from the viewpoint of Dunn's agent and other agents around the MLB) to low-ball the shit out of him? Come on.

Well.. His agents haven't gotten him big cash whiles he's been performing at a high level for quite awhile now.

There's no reason to pay him 80-100 million now that he's going to be declining soon.

Like I said before. The Cubs already have aging players that are overpaid and are declining in talent. I'd rather not be stuck in a rut.

The only way Id sign him is if we get him on a reasonable offer on something around my terms.