A Different Offseason Plan

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
all he does is jack and walk..

your post is basically saying.. "our fans will love you"

thats all.

I'm saying his hr will go up because it's Wrigley. But, his average will go down.

I'm neutral at the idea of the Cubs signing Dunn. It will be bad and good in some ways.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not as much, like in Chi. The hr will go up, walks maybe and the fans will love him.

He will be loved regardless of where he goes. It's not like he's Milton Bradley or A-Rod.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm saying his hr will go up because it's Wrigley. But, his average will go down.

I'm neutral at the idea of the Cubs signing Dunn. It will be bad and good in some ways.

His average is always gonna be in the .240- 260 range..

Long as he jacks about 35-45 and walks about 90-100 times a year.. Im just fine.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What premier teams have holes at 1B they are willing to overpay for?

The Texas Rangers, the Seattle Mariners, the Blue Jays, the Braves, the Angels, there are plenty of teams. And it really isn't overpaying, the guy puts up solid numbers year in and year out.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:

Long as he jacks about 35-45 and walks about 90-100 times a year.. Im just fine.
I think re-signing Lee will average out to what Dunn does. Lee's average will go up but is more injury prone because of age. I just hope Dunn or Lee is the Cubs 1B next year.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Texas Rangers, the Seattle Mariners, the Blue Jays, the Braves, the Angels, there are plenty of teams. And it really isn't overpaying, the guy puts up solid numbers year in and year out.

I dont see Texas overpaying.. The Mariners just spent a ton of cash in the last offseason.. I don't see them going for him. No way the Jays put 15 mill a year. Braves could be a surprise suitor.. Angels are possible too.

I also wouldn't doubt the Nats just re-up him.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:

Orange=Yes but don't have money.
Blue=Yes but I dount they will pay for him because of what they did with Figgins. Also, they have Kotchman.
Green=Overbay, the Jays front office love him and I doubt they pay his contract.
Yellow=I could see it.
Purple=Kendry Morales.

Dunn will stay in NL because he does not want to play DH. That's what I think.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not going to exaclty say that. He will hit hr, walk or K. Lee saves runs, you never know with Dunn.

There is about 2.5 runs difference on defense between the two guys. It's close to 30 runs difference with the bats, in favor of Dunn.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Unfortunately, since Wrigley is a smaller field, his average will probably drop.

And I'm sure he'll hit the 35 HR mark with relative ease.

I think re-signing Lee will average out to what Dunn does. Lee's average will go up but is more injury prone because of age. I just hope Dunn or Lee is the Cubs 1B next year.

I'm not sure I even understand what you're trying to say. How will Lee's average go up? If recent history has taught us anything, it's that his average will drop. lol.

I dont see Texas overpaying.. The Mariners just spent a ton of cash in the last offseason.. I don't see them going for him. No way the Jays put 15 mill a year. Braves could be a surprise suitor.. Angels are possible too.

I also wouldn't doubt the Nats just re-up him.

I could see Washington re-signing him. I could also see him going to Atlanta.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said, if the Cubs re-sign Lee or sign Dunn, I'm happy with either move.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Jesus Christ are you people serious? If a GM went to a player's agent with some of the offers you people have spit out, you would be laughed out of negotiations, and probably prevent yourself from ever signing another of that agent's clients while at the same time earning a reputation around the league as a penny-pinching nutjob that isn't to be bothered with any kind of negotiations whatsoever.

I mean, the "here is what I would do if I was GM" game is a lot of fun to play, and I'm not telling you guys to not play it but just...come on, think about the multi-level implications of what you're saying are, because when you do they most certainly turn out to just be laughable.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesus Christ are you people serious? If a GM went to a player's agent with some of the offers you people have spit out, you would be laughed out of negotiations, and probably prevent yourself from ever signing another of that agent's clients while at the same time earning a reputation around the league as a penny-pinching nutjob that isn't to be bothered with any kind of negotiations whatsoever.

I mean, the "here is what I would do if I was GM" game is a lot of fun to play, and I'm not telling you guys to not play it but just...come on, think about the multi-level implications of what you're saying are, because when you do they most certainly turn out to just be laughable.

I don't think any of the deals mentioned were that laughable. Some were probably definitely low, but only as such to avoid horrendous deals that Jim Hendry is so very good at signing. I figured a 13-15 million dollar deal was fair.

What do you propose then?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I don't think any of the deals mentioned were that laughable. Some were probably definitely low, but only as such to avoid horrendous deals that Jim Hendry is so very good at signing. I figured a 13-15 million dollar deal was fair.

Really? Let's go through some:

If I'm Hendry..

I give Dunn a decent two year deal.

7 mill base salary per year.

High level incentives that could push it to 14 per year.

More likely that it ends up being around 8 or 9 with some incentives actually getting kicked in.

Offering this to Dunn's agent would probably ensure that you never deal with that agent (or any of the players he represents) again. You offer an incentive-laden deal to an aging player that tested FA and got nothing after a horrendous season or two. You don't even mention anything less than a four-year deal to one of the top power and on-base hitters in the game today.

What's more, the base salary (with a few incentives thrown in) puts Adam Dunn in the same salary group as Carlos Pena and Carlos Guillen, and it also means that Dunn is going to have to take a pay cut to play with the Cubs and watch Prince Fielder get a mega-deal from a contender. That's laughable.

1 year, with TO for the 2nd year. I think that's a better deal than just a 1 year deal. But, I'm not high on a 2 year contract. If the Cubs do sign Dunn, I hope it's for a reasonable contract.

:lmao: This speaks for itself.

EYT said:
What do you propose then?

If I was the Cubs? I wouldn't pursue him. There's no reason to. This team isn't an Adam Dunn away from being a playoff contender, much less a WS contender, and probably won't be in a position to make a run for another 3 years at least, so signing Dunn would just be pissing money away for no good reason.

Now, if I was some other, better team looking to add a bat for a serious playoff run, I'd offer to make him one of the highest-paid 1B's in the MLB, so we're talking a low-end base salary of $16-$18 million a year, probably on the order of 5 years running ($85 million total), with the upper-limit being a Teixeira-type salary for 5-6 years ($110-$120 million total). Of course, I would have to factor in other team needs and costs, division, longevity of proposed competitiveness, etc., but this I think would be a good start.