A Different Reason Why Nelson Could Be a Good Selection For Bears

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
In the very early draft process, many players have been mentioned as worthy or unworthy of the #8 position. One of those players that has been discussed is guard from Notre Dame Quenton Nelson.

Some of the positives are:

1. he might just be a generational guard prospect.

Some league sources say that Nelson is the highest graded guard they've ever scouted, and that includes the likes of Logan Mankins and David DeCastro.
Would you give up the #8 pick for the next Logan Mankins?

2. With Sitton getting old while also having injury problems and Long looking at 3 surgeries, at the minimum, during the off-season, the Bears could use Nelson to fill one of their guard positions in 2018 and for the next decade or so. It would also allow for the Bears to fill their other guard position and have a good backup with Sitton and Long.

The negative comment for drafting Nelson is that drafting a guard at 8 is not a fashionable pick. Skill positions are always more well-received by the general public.

One positive reason for drafting Nelson is that it makes Sitton more valuable ... as a backup center (or even starter).

To be honest, Whitehair has not looked that good playing center with lots of question marks with his snapping. The reason that Whitehair played center is because we did not have anyone who was better. If the Bears can draft a center in the 4th round or pickup an ok center (get rid of Grasu, of course). Sitton did a good job playing center when he had to play the position. Moreover, with his loss of the little athleticism that he had, he is ideal for center where pulling is extremely rare for a center.

Why take Whitehair away from center? Besides his problems with the snap, he would be much more valuable as our starting RT. He already has experience playing LT in college. People did not see him as LT material in the NFL because they thought that he was not athletic enough to play LT in the NFL which is perfect for a RT where the position does not require as much athleticism.

Imagine a line of Leno Nelson Sitton Long Whitehair.

I could get excited with that line.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I'd like Nelson with the pick. But I disagree about Whitehair. I think he's looked good, is a clearly competent center and only looks to be getting better. It was Grasu who was having a ton of issues at the center position when Whitehair was scooted over when Sitton was out.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'd like Nelson with the pick. But I disagree about Whitehair. I think he's looked good, is a clearly competent center and only looks to be getting better. It was Grasu who was having a ton of issues at the center position when Whitehair was scooted over when Sitton was out.

Whitehair has snapping issues. I think it is easier to fill the center position with Sitton and a center in the draft and put Whitehair to his original position of tackle, except on the right side.

If they could stay or be healthy, Nelson, Sitton, Long and Whitehair would be an extremely nasty 4/5 of an offensive line.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I really want to keep Whitehair at C. And I want Long at RG.

If Hiestand, Nagy and co really think he's a tackle so be it but please just keep these guys settled in a position from now on.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Oh and I'm totally down with Nelson at 8 but obviously a trade down would be better.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Oh and I'm totally down with Nelson at 8 but obviously a trade down would be better.

That would be ideal, but I think that he will be drafted between 8 and 12.

Getting Nelson and extra picks? Pace would be on his way to being a superstar during the 2018 draft.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we don't want to see Mitch running for his life on most plays then we need to build the o-line. So Nelson would be a great add and worthy of the #8 Pick.

And then when it happens you will log in under a different name and trash the pick. We all know how this works.

77fb0edea0850b89bac062ea2fbd3935.gif

Last edited:

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’m all for picking generational talent at any position. If he is in fact grading out this good he will probably be gone by 8.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In Heistand I trust. If he says you can't miss taking Nelson then you damn well take him. Sitton is only under contract one more year and most people expect a decline in his performance although as of right now he's still playing at a high level. If Pace deems it necessary to take Sitton's eventual replacement right now in the draft then by all means do it. Worst case scenario it would be Long isn't ready to play making Sitton and Nelson your starting guards in 2018.

I have been personally advocating for keeping Sitton this year when some people have been saying to cut him for the sake of clearing 8 million cap space (as if we needed it). The eye test alone was telling me Sitton was still an elite guard but seeing it quantified only further strengthened my position on keeping him. This my friends is what Josh Sitton still is:

Sorted by pass blocking efficiency:

https://xer0hour.com/sittonbypbe.png

sittonbypbe.png

Sorted by pressures allowed:

https://xer0hour.com/sittonbypressure.png

sittonbypressure.png

Sorted by hurries:

https://xer0hour.com/sittonbyhurries.png

sittonbyhurries.png

Sorted by hits:

https://xer0hour.com/sittonbyhits.png

sittonbyhits.png

Didn't bother with the screenshot of sorted by sacks allowed because so many people are tied for 1 or 2 sacks that his 2 sacks dropped Sitton all the way down to tied for 25th with 17 guards. You get the idea though. The man is still a beast.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure why people are against Whitehair, he had no bad snaps in the 2nd half of the season.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm not down on Whitehair at all. He played at an extremely high level his rookie season when pushed to action and had a down year this season but that doesn't mean that is who he is either. I wouldn't be surprised if they tab him the center going forward. So what he had some issues snapping the ball. Its something he will certainly work on and not like he can't get back on that upward trajectory.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
At 8 I would take Nelson, he appears to be grading out in the top ten, and we have had a good offensive line because of Sitton and Long, why not build on that success.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
He's going #1 overall because guards are playmakers.

34 GOAT

Liked Posts:
And then when it happens you will log in under a different name and trash the pick. We all know how this works.

Why would I do that? Hey if Ii am wrong, I will the first to admit it. If that is how people operate around here, it would be rather unfortunate.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don’t know how I feel about a guard at 8 but that would make for a big, deep line that could do some major damage.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I think pace drafts him if he’s there at 8. He has jumped the last three seasons with boom or bust type players and I think he hit on two of them to a certain extent and I still think if white can stay healthy which is a big IF, he can or will be serviceable. Remember, wh didn’t quite have Lombardi coaching these guys the past three years.

He is a zero question stud and will be an all pro guard! I also have zero doubt that whitehair would be a huge improvement over Massie and even Leno. Remember, he was the best graded LT his senior year I believe. There’s no way Leno is a better athlete than whitehair! I still argue that Long should go back to RT too, the guy was pretty damn good for having one week to prepare for a really important position. His body is desinagrating and would welcome a move to RT.

Regardless, we have the right guys in place now and they will put the best lineup on the field. Nagy will tell them what’s up or get the fuck out.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think pace drafts him if he’s there at 8. He has jumped the last three seasons with boom or bust type players and I think he hit on two of them to a certain extent and I still think if white can stay healthy which is a big IF, he can or will be serviceable. Remember, wh didn’t quite have Lombardi coaching these guys the past three years.

He is a zero question stud and will be an all pro guard! I also have zero doubt that whitehair would be a huge improvement over Massie and even Leno. Remember, he was the best graded LT his senior year I believe. There’s no way Leno is a better athlete than whitehair! I still argue that Long should go back to RT too, the guy was pretty damn good for having one week to prepare for a really important position. His body is desinagrating and would welcome a move to RT.

Regardless, we have the right guys in place now and they will put the best lineup on the field. Nagy will tell them what’s up or get the fuck out.

I got a headache reading this much nonsense.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Chance Warmack from Alabama, I think, is the best football player I saw on tape this year, and Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina is just a tiny notch behind him - matter of fact, Cooper is probably a better athlete," Mayock said. "If either of those players is on the board at 10, I'd jump all over them."

I would have no hesitation taking Chance Warmack at 10, and to be honest with you, if I was one-through-nine, I wouldn't have any hesitation of taking him either. I think (the Titans are) in a good place to get one of those two players."

Multiple analysts have complimented Warmack's power and Cooper's effectiveness on the move. Mayock reiterated his belief in Warmack and Cooper by placing them in the conversation of players (along with tackles Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher) that Kansas City should consider with the No. 1 overall pick.