A Different Reason Why Nelson Could Be a Good Selection For Bears

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Said a week ago or so, Nelson at 8. Whitehair to RT. Long sticks at RG. Sitton and Massie cut. Use those dollars to sign an actually center in FA.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
"Chance Warmack from Alabama, I think, is the best football player I saw on tape this year, and Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina is just a tiny notch behind him - matter of fact, Cooper is probably a better athlete," Mayock said. "If either of those players is on the board at 10, I'd jump all over them."

I would have no hesitation taking Chance Warmack at 10, and to be honest with you, if I was one-through-nine, I wouldn't have any hesitation of taking him either. I think (the Titans are) in a good place to get one of those two players."

Multiple analysts have complimented Warmack's power and Cooper's effectiveness on the move. Mayock reiterated his belief in Warmack and Cooper by placing them in the conversation of players (along with tackles Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher) that Kansas City should consider with the No. 1 overall pick.
Ok, this proves that there is no such thing as a sure thing.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Whitehair didn’t have a snap issue after the bye week if I can recall?

Whitehair is really good. I don’t want to move him unless an elite C falls into our laps.

More importantly we gotta stop this line shuffling shit. Aside from being forced to play out of position due to injuries we need to keep players in one spot and developing to their best in that position.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whitehair didn’t have a snap issue after the bye week if I can recall?

Whitehair is really good. I don’t want to move him unless an elite C falls into our laps.

Billy Price is an elite center prospect that can be had in the 2nd round if they really want to move Whitehair.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok, this proves that there is no such thing as a sure thing.

Which is why I said I trust in Heistand. If he says take em, I don't have any problems with it.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
"Chance Warmack from Alabama, I think, is the best football player I saw on tape this year, and Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina is just a tiny notch behind him - matter of fact, Cooper is probably a better athlete," Mayock said. "If either of those players is on the board at 10, I'd jump all over them."

I would have no hesitation taking Chance Warmack at 10, and to be honest with you, if I was one-through-nine, I wouldn't have any hesitation of taking him either. I think (the Titans are) in a good place to get one of those two players."

Multiple analysts have complimented Warmack's power and Cooper's effectiveness on the move. Mayock reiterated his belief in Warmack and Cooper by placing them in the conversation of players (along with tackles Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher) that Kansas City should consider with the No. 1 overall pick.

You can say this shit about any potential draft pick, at any position, by simply quoting pre-draft predictions on players who turned out to be busts. If you advocated for taking a WR at 8, all I would have to say is-"Kevin White!?" So I guess we shouldn't ever pick a WR in the 1st round again?

You obviously don't think we should use our #8 pick on a G. I get it. And you probably have some valid points (current needs, positional value, etc). But don't try to strengthen your argument by putting out bullshit straw-men arguments. Q. Nelson is almost unanimously regarded as being the top OL prospect this year, and he is one of the best Guards coming out that i have ever seen.

I've read your posts, and enjoy them. Well thought-out. You're better than this.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can say this shit about any potential draft pick, at any position, by simply quoting pre-draft predictions on players who turned out to be busts. If you advocated for taking a WR at 8, all I would have to say is-"Kevin White!?" So I guess we shouldn't ever pick a WR in the 1st round again?

You obviously don't think we should use our #8 pick on a G. I get it. And you probably have some valid points (current needs, positional value, etc). But don't try to strengthen your argument by putting out bullshit straw-men arguments. Q. Nelson is almost unanimously regarded as being the top OL prospect this year, and he is one of the best Guards coming out that i have ever seen.

I've read your posts, and enjoy them. Well thought-out. You're better than this.

What I am trying to convey is that Nelson is not a can’t miss prospect because there is no such thing. Everyone on this board thinks he’s an all pro lock.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
What I am trying to convey is that Nelson is not a can’t miss prospect because there is no such thing. Everyone on this board thinks he’s an all pro lock.

Never said he was. Just saying he is probably the most complete G I have ever seen. He (along with Minkah or Chubb and Barkley) are probably the safest picks in the draft. Safer than J. Jackson. Safer than D. Ward. And honestly, I would not mind the pick being used on J. Jackson. What I am saying that it is all a risk. But Q. Nelsoon has a higher chance of being a perennial All-Pro than J. Jackson does. Not saying Jackson wont be, but I do agree with you that there is no such thing as a sure thing.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Two different issues there altogether. I wouldn't want to take any first round receivers in this draft unless you're talking about trading back a long ways to the bottom of the first round to take one. That doesn't mean I am afraid of taking a receiver in the first round because of White. It means there aren't really any consensus first round grade receivers in this draft. So why reach? You have two options. Take the top tier talent that gets pushed down to you at #8 overall because of quarterbacks being taken ahead of you. Or trade down if you manage to pick up additional first round draft picks in exchange for that trade down. I trust in Pace enough that he will make smart choices in the draft.

There are only two certainties in the draft. The Browns will ruin another quarterbacks' career and they hold two picks ahead of us in the draft so we don't have a fucking clue what is going to happen.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Adi if you had to choose between drafting Nelson or McGinchley to play RT, who would you choose? Nelson would obviously play guard.

I think it's an interesting decision that incorporates your positional value argument. You could keep Sitton a year and draft McGinchley to play RT or let Sitton go, draft Nelson and sign a RT.

Personally, I think I would rather go with McGinchley when I look at it like that. He has experience at RT and he might be an elite player at that position who could fill in at LT if anything happened to Leno.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
In the very early draft process, many players have been mentioned as worthy or unworthy of the #8 position. One of those players that has been discussed is guard from Notre Dame Quenton Nelson.

Some of the positives are:

1. he might just be a generational guard prospect.

Would you give up the #8 pick for the next Logan Mankins?

2. With Sitton getting old while also having injury problems and Long looking at 3 surgeries, at the minimum, during the off-season, the Bears could use Nelson to fill one of their guard positions in 2018 and for the next decade or so. It would also allow for the Bears to fill their other guard position and have a good backup with Sitton and Long.

The negative comment for drafting Nelson is that drafting a guard at 8 is not a fashionable pick. Skill positions are always more well-received by the general public.

One positive reason for drafting Nelson is that it makes Sitton more valuable ... as a backup center (or even starter).

To be honest, Whitehair has not looked that good playing center with lots of question marks with his snapping. The reason that Whitehair played center is because we did not have anyone who was better. If the Bears can draft a center in the 4th round or pickup an ok center (get rid of Grasu, of course). Sitton did a good job playing center when he had to play the position. Moreover, with his loss of the little athleticism that he had, he is ideal for center where pulling is extremely rare for a center.

Why take Whitehair away from center? Besides his problems with the snap, he would be much more valuable as our starting RT. He already has experience playing LT in college. People did not see him as LT material in the NFL because they thought that he was not athletic enough to play LT in the NFL which is perfect for a RT where the position does not require as much athleticism.

Imagine a line of Leno Nelson Sitton Long Whitehair.

I could get excited with that line.

So what's the different reason for drafting Nelson?? Did i miss something cause i didn't see any different reason?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
LT - Leno
LG - Sitton
C - Whitehair
RG - Long
RT - McGinchley

That line could be top 5 -10 in the league.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Adi if you had to choose between drafting Nelson or McGinchley to play RT, who would you choose?

I think it's an interesting decision that incorporates your positional value argument. You could keep Sitton a year and draft McGinchley to play RT or let Sitton go, draft Nelson and sign a RT.

Personally, I think I would rather go with McGinchley when I look at it like that. He has experience at RT and he might be an elite player at that position who could fill in at LT if anything happened to Leno.

Decisions aren't made in a bubble though. We don't have inside knowledge of Long's health or if they have any hope of him being ready to play next season after these 3 surgeries. We also don't know what Pace is thinking with regard to Sitton in terms of keeping him for the last year of his contract or handing him another contract or not. We also don't know the direction that Nagy, Helfrich and Hiestand want to take with regard to the priority or emphasis of certain linemen to run their offense. So if they value the tackles more than the guards they could go with McGinchley to relegate Massie to swing tackle and roll with Sitton, Long and their backup C/G's. If they value Nelson that much and Pace wants to get Sitton's heir apparent on the roster now then they very well could go Nelson instead.

If I had to make the call myself I take McGinchley because Massie was pretty bad at giving up pressure. I mean bad.

https://xer0hour.com/lenomassiepbe.png

lenomassiepbe.png

Like 38 pressures, 26 hurries, 5 sacks and 7 hits levels of bad. BTW all you Leno haters read it and weep. That is what you fuckers called a "finesse" left tackle. :bowrofl:

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
If he is there, I want Nelson at 8.

With regards to Whitehair, he had some snapping issues but also John Fox moved him around a bit. Not just this season either but used him as a fill-in all over the place last year before settling on him in the center role.

I think white hair is better off as a guard, but we have the best offensive line coach in football now. If Harry Heistand thinks that Whitehair is best as a center I will trust him.

Heistand knows about building lines, so at this point he has my complete faith.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'm fine with Nelson. But, if it were my call, I'm putting Whitehair at center and leaving him there. He's a very good center and just needs to be left in the one role. Why play 2 guys out of position? Slauson made the adjustment to center but who knows if Sitton could and would want to.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Would I be mad at the pick? Not at all. Am I convinced it’s the best possible pick for the Bears to make? No. But it’s a safe pick and it’s a quality pick. Can’t be mad at it but you could argue going in another direction could make a bigger impact overall.