dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I wanna ask a question to any of you, i keep seeing people calling Heistand the best o-line coach in the country but if he is that then why is he coaching in college and not in the NFL?? This is a serious question cause i had no idea who he even was until we signed him and i kept seeing posts about him being the best in the county.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I wanna ask a question to any of you, i keep seeing people calling Heistand the best o-line coach in the country but if he is that then why is he coaching in college and not in the NFL?? This is a serious question cause i had no idea who he even was until we signed him and i kept seeing posts about him being the best in the county.

He was with the Bears for five years until 2010, then two years with the Titans, and since then has routinely been declining NFL offers, preferring to hang at Notre Dame until the right NFL job opened up.

RochBear

Liked Posts:
That would be ideal, but I think that he will be drafted between 8 and 12.

Getting Nelson and extra picks? Pace would be on his way to being a superstar during the 2018 draft.

Yup. In a perfect world Nelson (who turns into HoF guard) and extra picks is what I want. But just getting Nelson would be reasonable. The NFL salary cap market suggests all linemen outside of LTs are about equally valuable, and almost as well paid as WRs (maybe 20% less). To me that mean guards are considered high value enough to take a very highly rated prospect at #8. And, yes, I know that means I'm assuming the NFL front offices know roughly what they are doing.

RochBear

Liked Posts:
LT - Leno
LG - Sitton
C - Whitehair
RG - Long
RT - McGinchley

That line could be top 5 -10 in the league.

Might well be. We'll see what they do. I'd be happy if the Bears decide Nelson is the real deal and Whitehair can play RT well (and Sitton can be a quality C).

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Bears have the BEST OFFENSIVE LINE COACH in the country. He should be able to coach the talent into lesser known guys to play at a much higher level... Nelson is a luxury pick at a position that rarely gets picked in the 1st, much less top 10... RT along with OLB, WR, DE, ILB and possibly CB all need a major upgrade. Sitton/Whitehair/Long/Kush are all good to excellent starters at G on most teams if they don't have a rash of injuries again.

RochBear

Liked Posts:
Bears have the BEST OFFENSIVE LINE COACH in the country. He should be able to coach the talent into lesser known guys to play at a much higher level... Nelson is a luxury pick at a position that rarely gets picked in the 1st, much less top 10... RT along with OLB, WR, DE, ILB and possibly CB all need a major upgrade. Sitton/Whitehair/Long/Kush are all good to excellent starters at G on most teams if they don't have a rash of injuries again.

I don't know that Heistand is the best offensive line coach in the country, nor if he was when the 2006 Bears OL had Tait and Brown and Kreutz and Garza and Miller's last quality year ... basically high level talent. When Brown was hurt and Tait/Miller older the Bears OL was not great. If a coach could really turn average talent into a really good OL, that coach would be paid $10-20 Mil by Jerry Jones and others. methinks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"Chance Warmack from Alabama, I think, is the best football player I saw on tape this year, and Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina is just a tiny notch behind him - matter of fact, Cooper is probably a better athlete," Mayock said. "If either of those players is on the board at 10, I'd jump all over them."

I would have no hesitation taking Chance Warmack at 10, and to be honest with you, if I was one-through-nine, I wouldn't have any hesitation of taking him either. I think (the Titans are) in a good place to get one of those two players."

Multiple analysts have complimented Warmack's power and Cooper's effectiveness on the move. Mayock reiterated his belief in Warmack and Cooper by placing them in the conversation of players (along with tackles Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher) that Kansas City should consider with the No. 1 overall pick.
Yup and he wouldn't have taken a QB in one last year. That said, a 1st round G should be the highest floor pick in any draft.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
That said, a 1st round G should be the highest floor pick in any draft.
What?

1st round guards are not the same one draft year versus another. Maybe you meant a top 10 worthy guard having the highest floor might be correct. A latter 1st round guard probably has a lower floor than lots of other player selected in the top 10.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I don't know that Heistand is the best offensive line coach in the country, nor if he was when the 2006 Bears OL had Tait and Brown and Kreutz and Garza and Miller's last quality year ... basically high level talent. When Brown was hurt and Tait/Miller older the Bears OL was not great. If a coach could really turn average talent into a really good OL, that coach would be paid $10-20 Mil by Jerry Jones and others. methinks.

Whether you agree or not, he undoubtedly is in the conversation. Just look at his track record at UT and ND. UTs oline crumbled to nothing when he left. Angelo never drafted offensive line, but those old has beens played well together beyond when they should have retired.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Whitehair has snapping issues. I think it is easier to fill the center position with Sitton and a center in the draft and put Whitehair to his original position of tackle, except on the right side.

If they could stay or be healthy, Nelson, Sitton, Long and Whitehair would be an extremely nasty 4/5 of an offensive line.

Oh how quickly people forget! Whitehair went from snapping to a giraffe with an abnormally long neck to a normal sized person after 4 weeks. You try adjusting on the fly like that!

But seriously, he did great the 2nd half of the season and I don't remember any botched snaps from then so I don't really think the snapping should be a problem long term.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:

It's all about who is likely to be available at 8. OLB will be overpicked most likely. WR is not even worth mentioning in this draft that high. Bears don't need a DE in the 3-4. CB is a possibility but the Bears D is already a top 10 unit. The thing to remember is that the Bears are gonna do whatever it takes to give Trubs and the new OFFENSIVE COACHING STAFF more weapons/help. Nelson is likely to be the best way to do that at 8 barring a trade down scenario which is something you really can't count on until draft night.

The ultimate scenario would be a trade down to somewhere in the mid-1st and you still get Nelson.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Rather trade down an get McGlinchey instead
We talk about trade downs all the time, but unless you are at the top of the draft or willing to trade out of the first it is very difficult to do. More likely we stay at 8 and trade down in the second.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What?

1st round guards are not the same one draft year versus another. Maybe you meant a top 10 worthy guard having the highest floor might be correct. A latter 1st round guard probably has a lower floor than lots of other player selected in the top 10.

What position is the same from year to year? Picky much and actually not particularly accurate. Gs are the least important and easiest to fill spots in football. They can be had in late rounds but are usually Ts in College that need development. Any 1st round G should be can't miss or you look elsewhere, period. I guess kicker would be an exception but you just don't take those in one at all. In the past 4 years, the highest G was picked at 28. They're the lowest and fewest selected of all positions in one. There's a reason.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Not picking on anyone in this thread, but people act like O-Linemen in the first round are a sure thing. Statistically, they're just as likely to bust as every other position. It's not like if you pick a "great" O-Lineman in the first round that you're automatically set there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Absolutely. My point is the risk reward at G is low since the reward or return on investment side isn't high enough. Why they need that very high floor. Nelson may be that guy. I'm not saying you can't draft one but he has to be a very special player.