[A] Kane Halts Wild Comeback: CHI 4, MIN 3 (SO)

Ton

Liked Posts:
Patrick Kane put the brakes on the Wild's effort to steal 2 points from the Blackhawks in the skills competition.

Literally.

Jonathan Toews scored on the Blackhawks first attempt, overpowering Nicklas Backstrom through his five-hole. Matt Cullen and Dany Heatley flubbed their attempts completely, without posing a single threat for Ray Emery (4-0-0 in his last 4 starts).

Finally, Patrick Kane streaked down the ice with blazing speed.... err what? He didn't?

Actually, his shootout attempt was reminiscent of Andrew Brunette skating in wet cement with Rosie O'Donnell strapped to his back. Nearly stopping completely but never did impede his forward motion--Kane's footwork was the opposite definition of his hands. He took Backstrom out of his jock strap and out of the net exposing the entire left side of the net to put away the game with his fancy stick work allowing the Blackhawks to take the extra point.

Before Wild fans moan over this goal, let's remind them of PM Bouchard and his attempt on Nikolai Khabibulin in 2006. If anything both goals teeter on the edge of impeding forward motion but neither actually stop.

Despite the fireworks to end the game, the shootout seemed like a poor ending to an otherwise exciting match-up.

The Blackhawks came out flying in the first period with several chances but Nicklas Backstrom was up to the task stopping all 11 shots sent his way. The rest of the game seemed fairly even with both teams generating an equal amount of chances at each end.

The Blackhawks picked up the scoring on the power-play with Marian Hossa pinching from the point and shoveling the puck past Backstrom for his 13th of the year. Michael Frolik followed soon after by connecting with Marcus Kruger's perfect pass through the crease for an open net, his 5th goal of the year. But, the Wild answered quickly with two goals to end the period tied 2-2 going into the 3rd period.

In the middle of the 3rd period, Viktor Stalberg drew two defenders to allow Jonathan Toews a perfect lane to the net where he completely fooled Backstrom with patience and threw the puck top shelf for his team leading 18th goal of the year. Mikko Koivu answered back to tie the game and extend the Wild all the way to the shootout. The rest is history.

Minnesota now has a two point lead on the Blackhawks but Chicago has one game in-hand.

KEYS TO THE GAME

Chicago runs on Duncan: Duncan Keith had an incredible effort tonight; certainly a difference maker for the Blackhawks although he did not get a single point. However, Keith did end the night with a plus-2 and also started the play which allowed Marian Hossa to grab the first goal for the Blackhawks. Oh, not to mention he made an incredible defensive effort to separate Matt Cullen from the puck on a shorthanded breakaway without committing a penalty.

Depth comes through: They actually had just as many points as the superstars in the line-up. Mayers, Stalberg, Kruger and Frolik combined for 4 points on the night while Hossa, Toews and Sharp put together 4 points as well. When you face the top teams in the league your depth needs to come through and they did tonight.

Speed kills: The Blackhawks pushed the pace the majority of the night and grabbed the lead early to force the Wild to answer. The game plan was executed well and Quenneville may have had his best game of the year in terms of execution and bench management.

BLACKHAWKS THREE STARS OF THE GAME

1. Jonathan Toews

2. Duncan Keith

3. Marian Hossa

Click here to view the article

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
I want replays on that shootout goal holy fuck.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yes, please someone hurry up and post that goal. Awesome sauce.

stalberg sucks

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Wild were lucky to get a point thanks to the lame ass officials. But I gotta hand it to the Wild they work their asses off, play a very annoying trap style, forecheck hard and really know how to annoy the opposition without having to resort to low level tactics like biting and hair pulling. I hope they win their division they are actually fun to watch for a trapping team.

As for us?

Emery was good again

Kanes shoot out goal I can not get enough of it is killing me.

Toews is amazing!!!

Stalberg is really slumping hard. Not only missing nets but he was playing off his wing a lot tonight (and I don't think that was a coaching thing).

Kruger is a forechecking machine

I really thought the 3rd line would score tonight. They looked good early on. I thought they played well defensively again esp Bolland. Bickell confuses me still though. I would still rather have Smith in there.

Seabs was off a bit tonight. Wasn't his best game of the season. Keith returned the favor playing very well. This is why these 2 need to be paired all the time. They cover each other nicely when one is having a bad night and when both are having good nights it's amazing to watch.

Good hard win tonight. Wild look to be for real..they have bought into the system there for sure.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kaner!!!! Paybacks for Bouchard making our goalies look silly in the past.

R K

The Blackhawks are only 1 pt off the pace of the 2009-10 Cup winning team. After 31 games, that team was 20-8-3. Hawks are 19-8-4 this yr

Ton

Liked Posts:
I saw a good game from Stalberg, not sure what you all were watching.

Q probably agreed: 18 minutes, rewarded with an assist.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I still feel the cup team was much better, but is it weird that I feel like the biggest competition isn't as good? I feel like the parity is much stronger this year and while the team may not be as good, relative to the other teams they are about even. Or maybe I am just more comfortable with the capabilities of this team after having won once already?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I saw a good game from Stalberg, not sure what you all were watching.

Q probably agreed: 18 minutes, rewarded with an assist.
really? Rewarded him by giving frolik his shifts late in the game? Glad he got the assist for getting in the way of the puck. You don't have your 10 points in 12 games to hide behind anymore. 5 assists in 11 games playing on the best line in the league. Hasn't had a goal in 12 games. 5 on the year. Tied with frolik who you like to rag on.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
The move by Tazer for his goal was amazing. And awesome move by Kaner for the win, but that play by Hossa where he danced around the Wild's zone with the puck for about 20 seconds, including going down and getting back up and getting the puck back immediately, was totally insane. Somebody please post that.

-5Minutes

Ton

Liked Posts:
really? Rewarded him by giving frolik his shifts late in the game? Glad he got the assist for getting in the way of the puck. You don't have your 10 points in 12 games to hide behind anymore. 5 assists in 11 games playing on the best line in the league. Hasn't had a goal in 12 games. 5 on the year. Tied with frolik who you like to rag on.

The last 4 games Stalberg was on the 4th line for the majority of his ice-time. What did you expect?

On his assist he made space for Toews and drew 2 defenders which opened up ice for Toews to skate in without anyone touching him. No Stalberg, no space, no goal. Obviously Toews made an incredible move as well, but he got a lot of help there with Stalberg opening a lane.

As far as Frolik, he didn't even play 10 minutes. Also 2 of his goals are EN, and shit, the goal he had today my grandma could have scored... all Kruger there.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
two more things:

1) i'm good with Stalberg's game, especially for the cap hit

2) Razor had a good game, and i would expect to see him in net against his old team on Friday

-5Minutes

Ton

Liked Posts:
The Blackhawks are only 1 pt off the pace of the 2009-10 Cup winning team. After 31 games, that team was 20-8-3. Hawks are 19-8-4 this yr

I won't say that this team is as good as the Cup team until they win. But I will say there are a lot of things I do like about this team and they have found ways to win. In 2010 I felt like there were a lot of games that we didn't play 60 minutes either, this year is a similar story. If we play to our potential I can't really see many teams wanting us in a 7 game series.

R K

two more things:

1) i'm good with Stalberg's game, especially for the cap hit

2) Razor had a good game, and i would expect to see him in net against his old team on Friday

-5Minutes

I agree. Far to much fucking crying over a team 19-8-4. Holy fuck enjoy it or stop watching.

Oh and I'm not a huge Stalberg fan but his speed alone causes severe issues for the other team when guys like Toews and Kane are in the offensive zone. No question.

R K

I won't say that this team is as good as the Cup team until they win. But I will say there are a lot of things I do like about this team and they have found ways to win. In 2010 I felt like there were a lot of games that we didn't play 60 minutes either, this year is a similar story. If we play to our potential I can't really see many teams wanting us in a 7 game series.

I didn't ask you too. I was pointing out the record alone.

Unlik the Cup year we have 7 mil in cap space to add at the TDL. This team stays healthy, there are very few teams that can hang with them in 7. Just like you said.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
I agree. Far to much fucking crying over a team 19-8-4. Holy fuck enjoy it or stop watchin

This

Oh and I'm not a huge Stalberg fan but his speed alone causes severe issues for the other team when guys like Toews and Kane are in the offensive zone. No question.

And this

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stalberg sucks.

nice game by Scott.

Emery big time again.... nice shootout stops.

Duncan Keith looked like he was back in form.

Seabrook looked like he had a rock in both skates.... something was up.

Hossa is a BEAST!!!! I couldn't believe that sequence in the 3rd when he just tooled EVERYONE!

Tazer yet again showing why he is the best in the league and not a issy pussy like Crosby who sits out when he has "a wittle headahce". If I was Crosbitch, I'd be scared to play against Toews too.....

Kane also rules!!!!