Aaron Rodgers Is 'Selfish,' Disliked by Teammates, Coaches, Ex-NFL GM Says

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Packers' Aaron Rodgers Is 'Selfish,' Disliked by Teammates, Coaches, Ex-NFL GM Says

A former NFL general manager suggested Wednesday that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not well-liked among those who have played with and coached him over the years.

According to Matt Lombardo of FanSided, the ex-NFL GM said: "The guy's selfish. Teammates don't like him. Coaches don't like him. It's all about Aaron. They all deal with him, because he's a superstar. He helps guys make money and put food on the table for their kids, and people respect him for that."

Rodgers, who has spent his entire 16-year NFL career with the Packers, has told some within the organization that he no longer wants to play in Green Bay, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The 37-year-old Rodgers is coming off winning his third career NFL MVP award, but he did not report to the Packers for mandatory minicamp, increasing concern regarding whether he will ever play another down for the only NFL team he has ever known.

After posting fairly modest production in 2019, Rodgers rebounded with arguably the best statistical season of his career, as he completed 70.7 percent of his passes for 4,299 yards, 48 touchdowns and just five interceptions while also rushing for 149 yards and three scores in 2020.

Rodgers led the Packers to a 13-3 record, an NFC North title and the NFC Championship Game for the second consecutive season, but Green Bay once again fell short of the Super Bowl, losing at home to Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

crop_exact_Screen_Shot_2021-01-29_at_3.20.34_PM.jpg

The reasoning behind Rodgers' reported desire to leave Green Bay remains unclear. There was speculation that the Packers' decision to select quarterback Jordan Love in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft may have played a role, but that may not be the case.

During a recent appearance on ESPN's SportsCenter, Rodgers praised Love and followed it up with a somewhat cryptic response regarding why he is having issues with the organization:

"With my situation, look it's never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan. I love Jordan; he's a great kid. [We've had] a lot of fun to work together. Love the coaching staff, love my teammates, love the fanbase in Green Bay. An incredible 16 years. It's just kind of about a philosophy and maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go. It's about character, it's about culture, it's about doing things the right way."

The implication from Rodgers may be that he is unhappy that the Packers didn't inform him of the pick or ask him for his input ahead of taking Love, who is Rodgers' heir apparent.

Rodgers responded with an MVP performance in 2020, and the Packers are now in a position where they may have to become the first team in NFL history to trade a player the year after he won an MVP award.

Rodgers could be using his leverage to get something he wants, such as a new contract, but if the holdout continues into training camp, it will become a real possibility that he won't play for the Packers or perhaps at all in 2021.

Regarding Rodgers' holdout, the former NFL GM said: "The longer this goes on, it shows how selfish Aaron really is."

If Rodgers is serious about no longer playing in Green Bay, the starting job will belong to Love, who didn't take a single snap as a rookie last season.

That would conceivably damage the Packers' chances of contending for a Super Bowl in 2021, but there is a possibility it could turn out to be a positive, much like when the Packers selected Rodgers in the first round in 2005 and had him replace a Hall of Fame quarterback in Brett Favre three years later.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to return to Green Bay Packers, sources say

Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The Packers are aware of his feelings, concerned about them and have had team president Mark Murphy, general manager Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur each fly out on separate trips to meet with Rodgers at various points this offseason, sources told ESPN.

"As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond," Gutekunst told ESPN. "Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

Rodgers, 37, has not budged this offseason, but neither have the Packers, who have made it known they are not interested in trading Rodgers anywhere.

The San Francisco 49ers checked with the Packers about Rodgers' potential availability on Wednesday night, but general manager John Lynch said Thursday that the call didn't go anywhere, and he was quickly rebuffed.

"You're talking about the MVP of our league last year," Lynch said. "Yeah, we inquired. It was a quick in to the conversation (but) it wasn't happening. As we said, we have been convicted and excited for a long, long time, so we went right back to where we've been and that's really excited about adding Trey Lance to the 49ers, and we're thrilled about that."

The Los Angeles Rams inquired about Rodgers in January before they traded for Matthew Stafford, but the Packers quickly dismissed the Rams' overtures, the source said. While teams have inquired about Rodgers this offseason, no team has made a trade offer for the three-time MVP, a source told ESPN.

The Packers have offered to extend Rodgers' contract, sources told ESPN.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

‘Selfish’ Aaron Rodgers is respected, but ending with Packers still mystery

by Matt Lombardo

An NFL MVP has never been traded the following season, and that’s just one option for the Green Bay Packers’ ugly stare-down with Aaron Rodgers.

Things are getting uglier by the moment in Green Bay.

The Packers’ brass seems to be doing everything in its power to alienate Aaron Rodgers, as yet another shot was fired across the bow last weekend, in what has become a bitter staredown with no end in sight.

When team president and CEO Mark Murphy stood before fans and shareholders at Lambeau Field and called Rodgers “a complicated fella,” he was simultaneously echoing the general sense inside the league of the reigning MVP, and taking a hatchet to the already wobbly bridge between the organization and its star quarterback.

“The guy’s selfish,” a former NFL general manager tells FanSided. “Teammates don’t like him. Coaches don’t like him. It’s all about Aaron.

“They all deal with him, because he’s a superstar. He helps guys make money and put food on the table for their kids, and people respect him for that.”

But, despite how disliked Rodgers might be inside the Packers locker room, the 37-year-old was instrumental in guiding Green Bay to the doorstep of the Super Bowl the past two seasons, losing to the San Francisco 49ers and eventual champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC Championship Games, respectively.

The Buccaneers, of course, are quarterbacked by a 43-year-old Tom Brady, showing that in today’s NFL age is merely a number to the most gifted passers in the game.

Still, it is abundantly apparent that when general manager Brian Gutekunst chose Jordan Love in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft, rather than adding a weapon to Rodgers’ supporting cast or bolstering the offensive line, without the courtesy of a phone call, it struck a nerve.

Turns out, Gutekunst, Murphy, and the Packers might not be all that broken up about potentially breaking up with Rodgers.

“How this plays out is going to define Brian [Gutekunst] for his life, as a GM,” an individual with knowledge of Gutekunst’s thinking tells FanSided, on the condition of anonymity to speak freely about the situation. “If he’s wrong on Love, which he doesn’t think he is, and you’re wrong on Aaron, it’s over. But, if you lose Aaron, save face, stand your ground and Love shows some legit promise, then it’s a great move and you look like a goddamn genius.”

Clearly Rogers wants out.

Clearly Gutekunst and the Packers aren’t picking up piles of wood and stacks of nails to rebuild that bridge back to Titletown.

“The longer this goes on, it shows how selfish Aaron really is,” the former GM says.

So, how does all of this play out?

It seems there are a handful of scenarios yet to unfold in the coming weeks and months between the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers:​

Aaron Rodgers holds out through part of training camp, returns, and all is right in the world​

This feels like the most unlikely of endgames.

Rodgers has already skipped out on voluntary OTA workouts and the Packers’ mandatory minicamp this spring. Green Bay has to be doing backflips over the opportunity to get at least a month’s worth of practice reps for Love with the first-team offense.

If this is how it plays out, and Rodgers echoes Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson and claims this was all one major misunderstanding, the Packers are a legitimate threat to win 12-13 games and must be considered the prohibitive favorites in the NFC North with a reasonable pathway back to the NFC Championship Game. If not further.

The Green Bay Packers trade Aaron Rodgers before this season​

There has never been a reigning MVP traded the following season … Do the Packers really want to set that precedent, with a roster capable of winning a Super Bowl in place around said MVP?

Sure, Joe Montana was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs after missing two seasons due to injury. The Packers dealt Brett Favre after he flirted with retirement more often than he changed Wranglers. But, trading Rodgers, even at age 37, would be a colossal gamble on Gutekunst’s part.

For the Packers, though, it’s fair to wonder what market would develop less than three months from the season kicking off. Green Bay would collect whatever picks they could garner for Rodgers and recoup approximately $14.7 million in cap space this season if they were able to pull off a deal.

Certainly, the Denver Broncos would be interested, given the bevy of talent at the skill positions on offense and the uncertainty surrounding Drew Lock. The same argument can be made for the Las Vegas Raiders with a bit more certainty that Derek Carr’s chances of becoming a top-10 quarterback in the league are likely in the rearview.

If this relationship is damaged beyond repair — which it very well might be — and the Packers get offered two first-round picks plus young players? Sure, Rodgers might be dealt.

But the timeframe might make this a buyer’s market for Rodgers, rather than a seller’s one, because the team Rodgers lands with will undoubtedly make the playoffs or go further which would push down the value of the pick the Packers get in return.

Aaron Rodgers holds out through at least training camp​

Multiple sources around the NFL believe that what’s most likely to happen is that Rodgers stays away throughout training camp.

If you injected Sodium Pentothal into Murphy and Gutekunst’s veins, they’d tell you they’d be ecstatic if this is how things went. Love gets a month of game-speed practices in training camp with the first-team offense. The Packers get to twist the knife just a bit more every time Love completes a deep pass to Davante Adams or a screen pass to Aaron Jones goes for a touchdown by tweeting the video for all the world — and Rodgers — to see.

All while collecting $50,000 in fines every day Rodgers is away, which could add up to upwards of $1 million.

However, at what point do the Packers start getting nervous?

Green Bay opens the regular season on Sept. 12 in New Orleans against the Saints. If Rodgers doesn’t return until Sept. 1, does it really matter? If he stays away through the 7th, wouldn’t he still start the opener?

The reality is with Rodgers the Packers are Super Bowl contenders. If Love is the quarterback, there’s a chance they’re an abject disaster and struggle to win seven games.

Smart money says Rodgers doesn’t take one practice snap until September, returns to Wisconsin for the opening week and plays this season like his hair’s on fire in hopes of getting traded this offseason.

Packers trade Rodgers after this season​

Picture, if you will, the Packers pull off an upset of Patrick Mahomes’ Chiefs in overtime of Super Bowl LVI in Los Angeles, capping a thrilling 37-34 shootout.

Green and gold confetti swirls through the Burbank evening as Rodgers hoists the Lombardi Trophy aloft, and proclaims “This one’s … for me.”

Can’t you just see it?

Rodgers returns, reluctantly, and then after this season requests a trade, triumphantly.

Both sides could be primed to move on at that point, and the market might be even stronger.

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, Daniel Jones disappoints this season, despite the New York Giants’ heavy investment at wide receiver. New York has two first-round picks and could be in the mix for Rodgers.

Likewise, if Jalen Hurts doesn’t show he can be elite with DeVonta Smith, Jalen Reagor, Dallas Goedert and Miles Sanders, general manager Howie Roseman is the type who will be burning up the phone lines.

Toss in, just for fun, teams like the Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons who could be in the market for a quarterback with talented rosters already in place, and the Packers can essentially set the asking price for Rodgers.

Someone will pay it.

Aaron Rodgers retires​

It’s obvious when Rodgers turns the page from something, there’s no turning back.

Equally obvious is Gutekunst using this whole situation as an opportunity to put his fingerprints on the franchise, and as a litmus test of his authority as general manager.

So there’s always the potential that Rodgers throws his hands in the air, retires and goes on to host Jeopardy! and pursue other ventures away from football.

That would be … costly.

If Rodgers tells the Packers to burn the bridge and that he plans on retiring, he’d have to write a PGA Tour-sized check back to Green Bay. Rodgers would owe the Packers somewhere in the area of $30 million; returning the prorated unearned portion of his signing bonus, forfeiting $6.8 million in roster bonuses, and on top of that large check, he would lose out on $14.7 million in salary.

State Farm reportedly pays Rodgers between $3-5 million, and Sony paid the late Alex Trebek somewhere between $10-18 million annually. Is Rodgers ready to move on from football forever for that kind of income?

Is sticking it to the Packers, and hosting a game show, worth forfeiting $44.5 million to Rodgers?

Time will tell.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
He loves the drama and attention. Everywhere you look, it's ALL about HIM! He'll be starting week 1 for the Packers, trust me.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A
Who are these teammates that dislike him? We need names.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like him either. So, what's your point?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Why are we suddenly so lucky? I'm getting drunk the day Rodgers is traded out of the division.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are we suddenly so lucky? I'm getting drunk the day Rodgers is traded out of the division.

packers FO have claimed a trade is not gon happen

and so far, their actions suggest that is actually the case

rodgers is an arrogant prick, but apparently so is the FO

like a game of asshole chicken

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If this melts down completely hard to see this Packers squad putting together much more than five wins.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
"It's tough because you have so much time invested in one place and you've done so much for one place, you just kind of hope to see that respect reciprocated. And when it doesn't work out exactly how you want, you have issues like this. Honestly, I got no expectations, man. I’m just being supportive of my guy."

--
Davante Adams interview on 5/11/21 when asked about Erin Rodgers from Joe Rivera of Sporting News.

Yeah, that sure sounds like someone who dislikes him. How about his left tackle Bakhtiari?

"As time goes on, this will sort itself out and everybody will know. For me, I care about Aaron Rodgers, from a friend perspective. ... I will never hold any grudge against him. That is my friend, that is someone I have appreciated, and he's done a lot for this organization and a lot for me as an individual"

I can feel the scorn from that guy...

Oh--the comments about how many people dislike Rodgers are from a former executive/talking head for SI and Espen (with podcasts) in Brandt?

Carry on, meatballs.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
"It's tough because you have so much time invested in one place and you've done so much for one place, you just kind of hope to see that respect reciprocated. And when it doesn't work out exactly how you want, you have issues like this. Honestly, I got no expectations, man. I’m just being supportive of my guy."

--
Davante Adams interview on 5/11/21 when asked about Erin Rodgers from Joe Rivera of Sporting News.

Yeah, that sure sounds like someone who dislikes him. How about his left tackle Bakhtiari?

"As time goes on, this will sort itself out and everybody will know. For me, I care about Aaron Rodgers, from a friend perspective. ... I will never hold any grudge against him. That is my friend, that is someone I have appreciated, and he's done a lot for this organization and a lot for me as an individual"

I can feel the scorn from that guy...

Oh--the comments about how many people dislike Rodgers are from a former executive/talking head for SI and Espen (with podcasts) in Brandt?

Carry on, meatballs.
Yeah, he’s liked by aj hawk too. I think he’s actually in the right here. GB completely botched this situation.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Packers' Aaron Rodgers Is 'Selfish,' Disliked by Teammates, Coaches, Ex-NFL GM Says

A former NFL general manager suggested Wednesday that Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not well-liked among those who have played with and coached him over the years.

According to Matt Lombardo of FanSided, the ex-NFL GM said: "The guy's selfish. Teammates don't like him. Coaches don't like him. It's all about Aaron. They all deal with him, because he's a superstar. He helps guys make money and put food on the table for their kids, and people respect him for that."

Rodgers, who has spent his entire 16-year NFL career with the Packers, has told some within the organization that he no longer wants to play in Green Bay, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The 37-year-old Rodgers is coming off winning his third career NFL MVP award, but he did not report to the Packers for mandatory minicamp, increasing concern regarding whether he will ever play another down for the only NFL team he has ever known.

After posting fairly modest production in 2019, Rodgers rebounded with arguably the best statistical season of his career, as he completed 70.7 percent of his passes for 4,299 yards, 48 touchdowns and just five interceptions while also rushing for 149 yards and three scores in 2020.

Rodgers led the Packers to a 13-3 record, an NFC North title and the NFC Championship Game for the second consecutive season, but Green Bay once again fell short of the Super Bowl, losing at home to Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

crop_exact_Screen_Shot_2021-01-29_at_3.20.34_PM.jpg

The reasoning behind Rodgers' reported desire to leave Green Bay remains unclear. There was speculation that the Packers' decision to select quarterback Jordan Love in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft may have played a role, but that may not be the case.

During a recent appearance on ESPN's SportsCenter, Rodgers praised Love and followed it up with a somewhat cryptic response regarding why he is having issues with the organization:

"With my situation, look it's never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan. I love Jordan; he's a great kid. [We've had] a lot of fun to work together. Love the coaching staff, love my teammates, love the fanbase in Green Bay. An incredible 16 years. It's just kind of about a philosophy and maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go. It's about character, it's about culture, it's about doing things the right way."

The implication from Rodgers may be that he is unhappy that the Packers didn't inform him of the pick or ask him for his input ahead of taking Love, who is Rodgers' heir apparent.

Rodgers responded with an MVP performance in 2020, and the Packers are now in a position where they may have to become the first team in NFL history to trade a player the year after he won an MVP award.

Rodgers could be using his leverage to get something he wants, such as a new contract, but if the holdout continues into training camp, it will become a real possibility that he won't play for the Packers or perhaps at all in 2021.

Regarding Rodgers' holdout, the former NFL GM said: "The longer this goes on, it shows how selfish Aaron really is."

If Rodgers is serious about no longer playing in Green Bay, the starting job will belong to Love, who didn't take a single snap as a rookie last season.

That would conceivably damage the Packers' chances of contending for a Super Bowl in 2021, but there is a possibility it could turn out to be a positive, much like when the Packers selected Rodgers in the first round in 2005 and had him replace a Hall of Fame quarterback in Brett Favre three years later.

I bet Rodgers is real eager to get back to the player field now lol