Acquring Young Stud Pitchers

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't pay that for Greinke. If I was going that route I'd chase price at $200 million plus. He's a better pitcher. Just heard Bruce Levine say that he's hearing that the Cubs top two targets in the off season will be Samardzija and Jason Heyward to play CF. I can't quite see paying that much for Heyward to play CF which is hardly is ideal position, but hey what do I know? Do that, trade Castro for Ross and that's a pretty damned good pitching staff with a better hitter in CF than you have now. I don't always trust Levine though and that position blocks both Almora and today's acquisition of Eddy Julio Martinez who admittedly might take a couple of years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Wow Heyward on the Cubs would be nasty. Our line up would be yoked. But won't he be looking at $150M?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
No, people understand how good the Mets rotation and unless the Cubs go nuts in FA and sign Price AND Grienke (which has a 0% of happening), the Cubs offense should be miles ahead of the Mets offense in future years while the Mets great pitchers will probably be much closer to the Cubs (assuming they signed a TOR arm). While great pitching is great to build around, the Mets 2-0 lead was entirely built by the top of their lineup which includes two guys they likely won't resign (Cespedes and Murphy) and two older players (Granderson is 35 next year, Wright 33). I'm not begrudging their 2015 team because I thought if the guys at the top bat as well as they did against LA than they're dangerous but it's not a sustainable offense.

Our 2-0 lead is a product of our PITCHING holding your HITTERS to 3 runs over the first 2 games. Youre assuming that the mets wont have a better offense over the next few years,the cubs will sign TOR pitcher and that our pitching has peaked. You do realize those 3 guys have less than 5 years of combined ml experience? Are you also aware that while your looking to sign a TOR guy the Mets have 3 already and have 2 more waiting in the wings?
Im no blind fan boy, if it were us with the monster young lineup and the cubs with the great young arms id be saying the same thing. Great pitching beats great hitting! It has been proven time and time again and seems to be playing out exactly that way in this series.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
No, people understand how good the Mets rotation and unless the Cubs go nuts in FA and sign Price AND Grienke (which has a 0% of happening), the Cubs offense should be miles ahead of the Mets offense in future years while the Mets great pitchers will probably be much closer to the Cubs (assuming they signed a TOR arm). While great pitching is great to build around, the Mets 2-0 lead was entirely built by the top of their lineup which includes two guys they likely won't resign (Cespedes and Murphy) and two older players (Granderson is 35 next year, Wright 33). I'm not begrudging their 2015 team because I thought if the guys at the top bat as well as they did against LA than they're dangerous but it's not a sustainable offense.

Yes, the Mets rotation is ridiculous right now. And it could get them a championship in 2015. But having a stable of young stud pitchers doesn't guarantee that they will have long, sustained careers.

For example in 2003 we had a nasty group of young ace's (Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, and Carlos Zambrano). I thought for sure we'd dominate for a long, long time. It just doesn't always work out that way.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Wow Heyward on the Cubs would be nasty. Our line up would be yoked. But won't he be looking at $150M?

One would assume. Maybe they're prepared to spend $230 million after all, just not on one pitcher in Price. You'd figure Samardzija at 5/$80 or so right?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Our 2-0 lead is a product of our PITCHING holding your HITTERS to 3 runs over the first 2 games. Youre assuming that the mets wont have a better offense over the next few years,the cubs will sign TOR pitcher and that our pitching has peaked. You do realize those 3 guys have less than 5 years of combined ml experience? Are you also aware that while your looking to sign a TOR guy the Mets have 3 already and have 2 more waiting in the wings?
Im no blind fan boy, if it were us with the monster young lineup and the cubs with the great young arms id be saying the same thing. Great pitching beats great hitting! It has been proven time and time again and seems to be playing out exactly that way in this series.

zOMG cancel major baseball cuz da Metz will win da next 9 world series!!!! Oh Noez!!!!

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I don't want to sign Price. He is 0fer in the playoffs. I want to sign starters who can throw 95+.

Yeah, I know his playoff record. I still want him though, he's the best pitcher on the market.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

One, it's been two games.

Two, as the Dodgers can tell you, great pitching just needs one bad night and then all of the sudden that advantage you had is gone.

Three, as a Cubs fan who watched the 2003 and then subsequent years Cubs teams, great young pitching isn't some unbeatable force.

Four, there is no "method" to winning the WS. The answer is "get hot" not "stockpile [blank] because it beats [blank]".

DanTown

Liked Posts:
By the way, if it's Heyward, that would anger me because Heyward has routinely said he doesn't want to bat lead-off. While I love his game, he's just so up and down for a guy who's only 25

Heyward WAR

I also have no desire to pay him eight/ten years after watching what happened with Soriano.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
One would assume. Maybe they're prepared to spend $230 million after all, just not on one pitcher in Price. You'd figure Samardzija at 5/$80 or so right?
Good luck with that
:soxtroll:

Your guys can have him back.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

We had Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, and Carlos Zambrano at the same time. Never put the cart before the horse my man. Also, true aces do not last long in this league. Only certain special cases do. One last thing, the epidemic of pitching injuries and the fact some of these guys have already has issues should make you slow down on predicting length.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The NLCS IS NOT OVER (we win game 3 and I like our chances) and it's important not to over-react knowing how young our hitters are -- but I still think it would be in our best interest to pursue young stud pitchers. History has proven that signing pitchers over the age of 30 to huge mega-deals rarely works out.

Who would be available -- either guys that have been in the majors a short period of time (a few years) or guys who will be called up in 2016? What talent could we part with to acquire said pitcher?

I realize teams rarely give up young studs unless they get a Kings Ransom in return. But maybe if we unload some of the guys in our farm system and throw in a proven major league hitter -- it might make sense.

It just seems our rotation isn't quite loaded enough. I like Arrieta, Lester, and Hendricks for next year and I like the versatility in our bullpen (Wood, Grimm, Rondon, etc) but it seems like we need a bit more firepower.

I believe it had more to do with the bonus amount from a high first round pick than anything else. They did not want to dump that much money into a risk. With them getting late first-round picks I expected to be more open

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That said if they sign Kaz. And slot him as a for splitting up Hendricks and Hammel they would do fine.

I see it as 2 factors causing this series issues.

1. Temp drop. Seeing Baez and Soler in tundra gear says enough.

2. New invirinment. Outside of a few vets this team has never stepped into this level of play.

End of the day they have over achieved. Not sad at all. I see this as valuable exposure and a gauge to gear next season off of.

What I would like to see is them using Baez in a deal to bring back a arm and a CF. my belief for a while is cold weather has been his bane. Not really ideal for a guy like that to play in a cold weather city not to mention the liability factor in the post season.

He has gained much of his value back this year and is a strong trade chip again.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
We had Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, and Carlos Zambrano at the same time. Never put the cart before the horse my man. Also, true aces do not last long in this league. Only certain special cases do. One last thing, the epidemic of pitching injuries and the fact some of these guys have already has issues should make you slow down on predicting length.

Arent you doing the same in regards to your lineup? Sure our pitching could get injured but they could also stay healthy and dominate the league for several years. You could get struck by lightning tommorrow. Point is shit happens but things are looking good. Not just for the mets but for your cubs.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
zOMG cancel major baseball cuz da Metz will win da next 9 world series!!!! Oh Noez!!!!

No one said that but if you want to troll we can troll. How about the mets are going to send you guys home this season and for seasons to come. The pitching is just too good we just cant be beat!

Doubledown

Liked Posts:

"Great pitching beats great hitting! It has been proven time and time"

how many WS did the braves win ?

Jake was one of the best pitcher in baseball this season and just lost..

ETc. etc

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Hayward and Shark would be welcome additions to the Cubs

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arent you doing the same in regards to your lineup? Sure our pitching could get injured but they could also stay healthy and dominate the league for several years. You could get struck by lightning tommorrow. Point is shit happens but things are looking good. Not just for the mets but for your cubs.

Well, yes, I am not saying your future does not look good. Pitching is just very fickle. Hitting is safer. But, if your pitchers can do a Braves type stretch then you will have years and years of success. There are just so many injuries with hard throwers now a days that y'all have a bigger chance of injury. But, lets hope to good health for both clubs and many years of exciting ball. The Cubs hit DeGrom this year. Hope they do it one more time.

Saw Harvey has some pretty big swelling from the ball that hit him. They say he is a go, but it is surprising. Cubs need game 3. Good luck to your team.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
One, it's been two games.

Two, as the Dodgers can tell you, great pitching just needs one bad night and then all of the sudden that advantage you had is gone.

Three, as a Cubs fan who watched the 2003 and then subsequent years Cubs teams, great young pitching isn't some unbeatable force.

Four, there is no "method" to winning the WS. The answer is "get hot" not "stockpile [blank] because it beats [blank]".

1. You are right. Not sure what impression you got from me but if it seems like im saying the series is over after two games that is absolutely wrong! You guys are still in this if you win on Tuesday. If you dont then i say its over.

2. The Dodgers didnt lose because of "one bad night". They were out pitched 3 out of 5 nights. They were lucky the refs blew the call that saw our shortstop get injured or it couldve been 3-1. Even if a Harvey,deGrom or Thor had a "bad night" the next guy up the following day never does. In fact deGrom and Harvey have not lost back to back games.

3. Its not unbeatable youre absolutely right. Heck look at how many titles the Braves won with their big 3. Just one!

4. Pitching wins championships PERIOD! That being said your absolutely right also. Get hot at the right time and anything can happen but that usually means your pitching has stepped up and a couple of guys start getting timely hits to be just enough to beat the other team. Look at the SF Giants! 3 titles with an average lineup. Look at the 06 cardinals who had Rollins and Pujols but only won 83 games that year but their pitching came together at the end. Believe me i know they knocked off a met team that led the league in runs that year. How about the Dbacks with schilling and Johnson? Name a guy who was an everyday player from that team. What about the yankee team that beat the braves? The Marlins squad with Beckett,willis and hernandez? 88 Dodgers who beat the mets and A`s? Pitching wins championships. Its good to have a lineup that can mash but you have to have pitching.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think a few moths ago, you would say to trade Castro and not Baez. I think right now, the roles have been reversed. Castro has the contract, and the Padres may want the Cubs to eat part of it.

Castro seems to be a good partner to Russell up the middle. They may move Bryant to the outfield and put Baez at 3rd base along with LaStella who can take over if anyone is struggling.

This team seems to be coming together all the way around, and one might be hesitant to break it up. Soler is a possibility too and move Bryant to the outfield.

A different approach might be to deal Hendricks, along with players like McKinney and an "A" baller. That way, they still get a starter, a future hitter, and a lottery ticket.

Trade Baez equals get fired