Alabama safety Landon Collins All-22 coaches tape vs. LSU 2014

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Eric Berry was the 3rd pick I believe.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This is true. 100 meters is almost 3 times as long as 40 yards, so the 100 meter rewards top speed rather than acceleration.

Having that extra gear is very useful, though. An example Bears fans should remember is Marcus Robinson, who had a pretty good 40 yard dash time, but was a world class 100 meter sprinter. He wasn't the quickest guy off the line of scrimmage, but he had that extra gear, and nobody ever caught him from behind once he hit it.

So far your defense of Collins can be boiled down to he runs really fast...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I hear the competition committee is looking to start measuring the field in meters, instead of yards. So maybe Collins would be a good choice!

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
He's been clocked in the low 4.3s. Not that that really matters because when you watch him run on tape he fly's by people like they're running backwards. The guy is silly fast.

He's probably a low-mid 4.4 buy but he almost no wasted movement so he can fly past people making him seem faster which is fine.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
No he isn't a top 10 pick. There are 10 or more players that are rated higher.

Collins is a better looking safety then Thomas, Barron, Vecarro, Dix, Pryor when they got drafted. Berry coming out of college looked like the real deal. He could cover like a corner and he played very fast.

Thomas is probably the best safety in football and Dix looks like he is gonna be a star.

Thomas was a better prospect, he was crazy fast, agile, sound tackler and was a really good ball hawk (had more than 8 ints senior year) and he is the ideal safety for todays NFL (despite being a tad short).

Collins I would rate around where Vecarro is but Collins is more athletic and a harder hitter, But I thought Vecarro had better pass coverage ability coming out.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

No, this is real defense:
One dimensional? Have you watched a single Alabama game in the past 3 years? Collins is excellent in coverage, not just good, excellent. He also obliterates people coming over the middle, he makes tackles in the open field, he blitzes, he chases people people from behind. He's also an athletic freak who runs a sub-4.4 40 yard dash and has a 44-inch vertical. He also ran the 100 meter in 10.28, which is olympic-sprinter level speed. He's also a true junior.

Collins is a fucking stud, and probably the best safety prospect to come out in recent memory. People just don't like drafting safeties top 10 overall even when safety is a glaring need and you have a guy who has the chance to be a once-in-a-generation type talent available. People are weird.
Quick reply to this message REPLY

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
People need to calm down on what prospects fit the #7 pick.

I've heard so much of "Oh there are only 4 studs in this draft next to the two QBs so we'll be screwed at 7!"

Guys like Gregory, Ray, Williams (guys I all really really like) could drop towards the bottom of RD 1 or even to RD 2 if they have terrible combines/pro workouts. I doubt this happens to these three guys, but we don't know. Hell a guy like Collins could very well fall to the 2nd Round should he run a 4.7, which is entirely possible for all we know.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Hub Arkush is riding the "Kyle Fuller to Safety" train, just like he rode the "move tillman to safety" thing for over a decade. lol

jc456

Liked Posts:

we need a safety with football awareness, not a sprinter. The plays on the video he was out of position catching up. We already have that today, Jon Bostic. Too aggressive and overplays plays. Little football instincts.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Hub Arkush is riding the "Kyle Fuller to Safety" train, just like he rode the "move tillman to safety" thing for over a decade. lol

fuller doesn't look big enough to play safety. I'd question his tackling ability on runs.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
No, this is real defense:
One dimensional? Have you watched a single Alabama game in the past 3 years? Collins is excellent in coverage, not just good, excellent. He also obliterates people coming over the middle, he makes tackles in the open field, he blitzes, he chases people people from behind. He's also an athletic freak who runs a sub-4.4 40 yard dash and has a 44-inch vertical. He also ran the 100 meter in 10.28, which is olympic-sprinter level speed. He's also a true junior.

Collins is a fucking stud, and probably the best safety prospect to come out in recent memory. People just don't like drafting safeties top 10 overall even when safety is a glaring need and you have a guy who has the chance to be a once-in-a-generation type talent available. People are weird.
Quick reply to this message REPLY

This is not what I see on the field. I really don't understand how some see a great prospect and others, including myself, see a stiff and slow ss who takes too many false steps and has gotten embarrassed in coverage.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
This is not what I see on the field. I really don't understand how some see a great prospect and others, including myself, see a stiff and slow ss who takes too many false steps and has gotten embarrassed in coverage.

That was a quote from Bort in his assessment of Collins. Definitely not mine.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:

Take our best corner and move him into a different position.. No. A man-man press scheme fits Fuller and that's he will be asked to do this year. He played his best games when able to play man and be physical. See San Fran, Carolina and NYJ

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Take our best corner and move him into a different position.. No. A man-man press scheme fits Fuller and that's he will be asked to do this year. He played his best games when able to play man and be physical. See San Fran, Carolina and NYJ

Not saying he can't press cover but those teams also had horrible pass offenses this year.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Collins wasn't really at his best during the LSU and Ohio State games. I think the Florida game is more typical (also, replay of the nice one-handed pick at 4:24):

[video=youtube;oit9Eygy9oY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oit9Eygy9oY[/video]

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I skipped the first 2:30 but the rest wasn't much better. He is no Mike Brown.

and who is?!

oh, how it saddens me to think of how good he was and how much he meant to the team, and how short his career was... :-(

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Collins wasn't really at his best during the LSU and Ohio State games. I think the Florida game is more typical (also, replay of the nice one-handed pick at 4:24):

[video=youtube;oit9Eygy9oY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oit9Eygy9oY[/video]

Here's what I see...

1:00 - Avoids making a tackle on a QB draw

1:14 - Drops his head down too soon, doesn't break down and isn't under control. Makes a shoelace tackle but could have really punished the receiver.

1:37 - FS makes an INT but on the replay, Collins is flat out beat off the line. He fakes the blitz and is in man coverage but does not back pedal and turn his hips. Instead, he hops side ways expecting a short in or dig route and is beat deep.

1:50 - Playing very high in C1 makes a good read on the throw and breaks up the pass. Ball was under thrown and poorly played by the WR. Collins could have intercepted the ball. Still, this was played well.

* was a bit of a non-factor on a few plays until...

3:00 - Avoids a block from the OG and makes a good read and tackle on the RB.

3:14 - Gets run over by the QB on a 14 yard draw for a TD. Didn't get into good enough position and tries to make the tackle from the side which nullifies his strength.

3:38 - Makes a good play on a well timed run blitz.

4:10 - Makes a good play on the ball for a one handed INT. This ball was really late and hung in the air. Good play on a terrible throw.

4:38 - Takes a terrible angle on the scrambling QB and nearly misses an open field tackle.

5:24 - Makes a great hit on the WR running a post route and causes the incompletion.

5:38 - Again has trouble breaking down to tackle the scrambling QB and this time, misses the tackle.

Take from this what you will... I don't like him as a 1st round pick. In fact, I think there is too many poor plays to not think he'll be a huge liability at the next level. I don't see the speed, athleticism or "raw talent" many others see. I see a guy who is not technically sound in his drops, coverage or tackling. He's got a lot of abilities that simply don't translate on the field. There is obviously a problem with Collins and I'm not sure what it is. The end result is a wide range of good and bad plays.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
I think the majority here can agree odds of a safety bring taken at #7 is slim.