Alarming stat

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Isn't Pacman the only one who was ever suspended prior to the incident of guilt being on him... But it wasn't his first issue.

I don't know of any case you imply existing where league standards make choices before guilt.. Plenty it the opposite occurs where guys appeal and delay court cases to be able to keep playing longer. Like the Williams, saints players issue.

Fucking A on Tapatalk
Roethlisberger was suspended without formal charges or even an arrest.
Goddell was quite clear that it isn't arrest or conviction, that by being a member of the NFL you are to maintain their personal conduct policy at all times. by being a contract employee and signing the contract and terms, you are held to a standard far higher and more invasive than and court system.

But to back it up.... link
"The Policy makes clear that NFL and club personnel must do more than simply avoid criminal behavior. We must conduct ourselves in a way that 'is responsible, that promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful.' This standard reflects the recognition that the conduct and behavior of our players and other league and team employees is critically important. Whether it involves your team or another, these incidents affect us all -- every investigation, arrest, or other allegation of improper conduct undermines the respect for our league by our fans, lessens the confidence of our business partners and threatens the continued success of our brand.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was just gonna bring up Big Ben, he was never charged ...

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
There's definitely a problem with the criminal justice system in America, but that is not an excuse for what these NFL guys are doing..

DUIs, vehicular manslaughter, a dog fighting ring, an execution in a parking lot... a lot of these dudes are just criminals, and it's kind of silly for y'all to be defending them. Or, like a Kenny Britt, they're just dumb and shouldn't be toking up in a 7-11 parking lot on the way back from being acquitted of a possession charge.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's definitely a problem with the criminal justice system in America, but that is not an excuse for what these NFL guys are doing..

DUIs, vehicular manslaughter, a dog fighting ring, an execution in a parking lot... a lot of these dudes are just criminals, and it's kind of silly for y'all to be defending them. Or, like a Kenny Britt, they're just dumb and shouldn't be toking up in a 7-11 parking lot on the way back from being acquitted of a possession charge.

The problem is these guys are all "intitled", they've had shit swept under the rug their whole lives because of their athletic ability. That's the biggest problem IMO. Of course I'm just talking proffessional athletes and not the regular joes like us.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

That is why I love the NFL standards.
The NFL says " You can come and work for us- you can make millions upon millions for playing a game.
But here is the catch.... you are a spokesman for our league at all times. All of the attention that is focused on you is a direct result of you playing in games for our league.
Therefore, any actions you take will reflect as actions of the NFL. Since that is the case, we expect you to act as good citizens. If you engage in behavior that reflects poorly on the NFL, we will publicly say we condemn your behavior, and we will levy workplace punishment upon you."
"it does not matter if you feel like you are a role model or not- the plain and simple fact is that you are being watched by millions of people week in and week out on games that we organize and pay you to be a part of.
If you chose not to accept the responsibility that comes with being a contracted employee of the NFL, feel free to not sign the contract".

I sure as hell would not sign a contract that puts that kind of stipulations on my personal behavior (although I have never been arrested nor even given many traffic tickets for that matter) But I would be just fine with the responsibilities that come with a million dollar a year job.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
The problem is these guys are all "intitled", they've had shit swept under the rug their whole lives because of their athletic ability. That's the biggest problem IMO. Of course I'm just talking proffessional athletes and not the regular joes like us.

a lot of them are entitled, and a lot of them have never had money + freedom before and just don't know how to handle it, and a lot of them come from a background that glamorizes, or even necessitates, criminal activity. It's no simple fix, unfortunately, and some of them are just making mistakes (Stallworth, I think, was deeply and seriously remorseful).

But some of those dudes, like Pacman, are just human trash. No one can really say it's societal factors that causes him to be the turd that he is

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL says " You can come and work for us- you can make millions upon millions for playing a game.
But here is the catch.... you are a spokesman for our league at all times. All of the attention that is focused on you is a direct result of you playing in games for our league.
Therefore, any actions you take will reflect as actions of the NFL. Since that is the case, we expect you to act as good citizens. If you engage in behavior that reflects poorly on the NFL, we will publicly say we condemn your behavior, and we will levy workplace punishment upon you."
"it does not matter if you feel like you are a role model or not- the plain and simple fact is that you are being watched by millions of people week in and week out on games that we organize and pay you to be a part of.
If you chose not to accept the responsibility that comes with being a contracted employee of the NFL, feel free to not sign the contract".

I sure as hell would not sign a contract that puts that kind of stipulations on my personal behavior (although I have never been arrested nor even given many traffic tickets for that matter) But I would be just fine with the responsibilities that come with a million dollar a year job.

That kind of language is pretty common in contracts. They just don't usually enforce it. Or need to I guess.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:

where do you work that has zero behavioral expectations of you? if I get charged with murder I'm gonna lose my shit job faster than Hernandez lost his

edit: fixed "convicted of" to "charged with"...gotta keep my legal jargon on the up and up

mac bear

Liked Posts:

This is the side bar. See, this is the tip of the iceberg. Someone brought up 1% of NFL is caught. But, what is the percentage that aren't caught. Or have the influence and $$$ to make such things 'disappear'. This is what is misleading in any statistical analysis... we, as fans here, should all understand how we can manipulate statistics to look the way we want to spin them to look. 78% of people agree with me on that one.

But, the side story is the influence these people have. Yeah, they think, entitled, enabled, whatever the reason, that they are 'above the law', and shit... let's face it, for the most part they are. But, when they get caught, well, the shit hits the fan and sprays far and wide.

Thing is what we don't see in any statistic is how these thugs and hoodlums, of whatever colour skin, by the way, stereotypes notwithstanding, have influenced thousands of others to follow in their invincible shoes. From bitch slapping women in clubs, to driving full speed into a median, to stealing a boat, and getting hammered, to you name it. The uneducated, the naive, the ignorant wannabe dream chasers searching for the easy button to everything are the ones cheering on these miscreants. And the saddest shit is we don't even know it... we'll never be able to tell. Cause which one, after caught making these bad decisions, would admit to just following their hero?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think teams are going to shy away even more from guys labeled as trouble makers and character risks in future drafts.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
I think teams are going to shy away even more from guys labeled as trouble makers and character risks in future drafts.

Do you really think so? I mean, doesn't it say more about the organization? And if, up top, they're prepared to turn a blind eye to this 'character' flaw, it's a fine line between this one and then that one and then...

And, ultimately, don't we all turn a degree of a blind eye when they score that touchdown, or make that hit, or pick that ball, or sack that particular top ten rated by 'peers' Qb?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
where do you work that has zero behavioral expectations of you? if I get charged with murder I'm gonna lose my shit job faster than Hernandez lost his

edit: fixed "convicted of" to "charged with"...gotta keep my legal jargon on the up and up

Oh, there are plenty of things I could get convicted of that would cost me my job. If I was charged with murder, I am sure I would be suspended until I was either aquitted. If I was convicted, then I cannot go to work, so I am done.
But if I walk in to a bar and get in a fight it isn't news. Even if it was bad enough to be news, It would be unlikely that my place of business would be brought up by name.
If Drew brees walks in to a bar and beats a guy down, that is an entirely different story.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Marshall for 2 3rd rounders after what can only be classified as a damn good season given the circumstances supports your thought.
If he had a Payton manning reputation, it is a first and second rounder to get him.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Marshall for 2 3rd rounders after what can only be classified as a damn good season given the circumstances supports your thought.
If he had a Payton manning reputation, it is a first and second rounder to get him.

Exactly. And I was hoping for the best for him, that his character was all right and all of that, but still...

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Oh, there are plenty of things I could get convicted of that would cost me my job. If I was charged with murder, I am sure I would be suspended until I was either aquitted. If I was convicted, then I cannot go to work, so I am done.
But if I walk in to a bar and get in a fight it isn't news. Even if it was bad enough to be news, It would be unlikely that my place of business would be brought up by name.
If Drew brees walks in to a bar and beats a guy down, that is an entirely different story.

The only thing different about Drew walking into a bar and beating someone down and Joe Schmoe doing it is media attention. I don't know a lot of people who wouldn't get fired for committing aggravated assault. But I don't work in an industry that hires felons, maybe you do.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Exactly. And I was hoping for the best for him, that his character was all right and all of that, but still...
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop on Marshall, but he seems to have gotten the message. I am really impressed.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
The only thing different about Drew walking into a bar and beating someone down and Joe Schmoe doing it is media attention. I don't know a lot of people who wouldn't get fired for committing aggravated assault. But I don't work in an industry that hires felons, maybe you do.

Again, look at what they are influenced by. Brees seems like a bad example of a man with serious, beat down, character flaws. But, there are many who don't. Look at the retaliation penalties and violence in the sport we crave. For many of these gargantuan men whose IQs have never been stellar, and who have been naively spotlighted as heroes, they play a game... a game. They're on stage, a lot. They punch someone in the head, spit on them, cleat them while they're on their backs... what, a fine? A 15 yard penalty, a few boos, a youtube splice snip clip gif, a poor rating on Madden, not invited to Suzy's birthday party?

Consequences are a loose fitting term... and all I'm saying is, we support it.

I'm not a fan of my support of it, but I do it, just like most of us would. I think the best way to handle it all, however, is to own it. Then, you can tackle the hypocrisy head on. Bitch slap it a bit.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Obviously you didnt read my first sentence.
"Oh, there are plenty of things I could get convicted of that would cost me my job."

I don't know what industry that you work in where reading comprehension isn't required.

is there a point to your rambling?