Alfonso Soriano on Chicago fans

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Story from Gordo:

Cubs

Soriano is right. And unfortunately the truth will come back to hurt him even more :(

Before too much skewering, though, consider:

Cubs

Soriano still leads the team in homers despite his superhuman ability to make outs.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
For a fan base that has had to endure 102 years without a championship, they have every right to boo players who aren't performing.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No mention of range factor?

Lame.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
For a fan base that has had to endure 102 years without a championship, they have every right to boo players who aren't performing.

But they might hurt the players' feelings and affect free agency!

Signed,
Chris Rongey

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
But they might hurt the players' feelings and affect free agency!

Signed,
Chris Rongey

straw_sp.jpg

thisotherkingdom

Liked Posts:

I agree that fans have the right to boo players. However, it has been taken to extremes in recent years and has gotten completely out of hand. It's gone beyond "Oh, this guy hasn't been performing well so we're going to boo him" and turned into flat out hatred of certain players. There's no reason to be booing strikeouts in April. And not to mention the fact that in baseball you succeed FAR less often than you don't, what is booing actually helping other than letting the world know we have an obnoxious fan base?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I agree that fans have the right to boo players. However, it has been taken to extremes in recent years and has gotten completely out of hand. It's gone beyond "Oh, this guy hasn't been performing well so we're going to boo him" and turned into flat out hatred of certain players. There's no reason to be booing strikeouts in April. And not to mention the fact that in baseball you succeed FAR less often than you don't, what is booing actually helping other than letting the world know we have an obnoxious fan base?

Hi,

If I were a player and stunk up the field, I would expect fans to boo...knowing full well it isn't personal. What you posted goes beyond normal fan behavior, and leads me to ask where you drew your conclusions from?.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hi,

If I were a player and stunk up the field, I would expect fans to boo...knowing full well it isn't personal. What you posted goes beyond normal fan behavior, and leads me to ask where you drew your conclusions from?.

Milton Bradley.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He said Chicago fans are the worst? I'd say Yankees fans are..they don't understand what a slump is and they still boo their stars.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano never played in Boston or Philly. Send him there and then get his opinion on the worst fans in sports.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was hoping for a different response...and that one lies squarely on Hendry.

There were reports also from former Cubs such as Jacque Jones and LaTroy Hawkins who are, shall we say, melanin-endowed. Also Derrek Lee has confirmed some of these reports. It's not an isolated incident just because Milton Bradley was a dick or lying about it. I doubt the small percentage of douchebags who take things too far represent all Cubs or Chicago fans, but they're vocal enough that the reports exist.

I agree that the Milton Bradley situation was a total Cub fail in terms of not getting Milton a PR guy and then mishandling him towards the end of 2009. Granted, MB didn't help himself, but if you're going to blow that much money on a guy, you gotta give him some support, right?

Rick

Liked Posts:
Soriano is a turd who hasn't come close to living up to that contract the Cubs gave him. It's going to be a long four years before he's finally gone.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano is a turd who hasn't come close to living up to that contract the Cubs gave him. It's going to be a long four years before he's finally gone.

It is his fault that Hendry overpaid for his 40-40 season, and that his legs were toast by the time he got here?

I don't like Soriano's contract, but I don't think he is a bad guy either.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano has not lived up to his contract. But he hasbn't been too bad. No one who gets a contract of a 100MM+ won't.

Rick

Liked Posts:
It is his fault that Hendry overpaid for his 40-40 season, and that his legs were toast by the time he got here?

I don't like Soriano's contract, but I don't think he is a bad guy either.

I called him a turd for his comments about Chicago fans.

Where did I say "It is his fault that Hendry overpaid for his 40-40 season, and that his legs were toast by the time he got here"?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think his comments were taken a bit out of context, Rick. Plus it's not exactly a lie that Chicago fans are kind of tough on players, even those who have been good for a long time.