Alfonso Soriano on Chicago fans

Rick

Liked Posts:
I think his comments were taken a bit out of context, Rick. Plus it's not exactly a lie that Chicago fans are kind of tough on players, even those who have been good for a long time.

That's fine but to me its an issue that shouldn't be commented on even if asked the question. It comes with the territory in all cities.

As far as Chicago fans go, as its being well stated in this thread, people are sick and tired of the losing. Does that give people the right to act like douchebags and say nasty things to the players when they're on the field? Absolutely not. But they do have every right to boo as loudly as they want to.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree fans have right to boo. They do pay alot of money and when team is playing badly they have the right to boo just like when team playing good right to applaud

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I called him a turd for his comments about Chicago fans.

Where did I say "It is his fault that Hendry overpaid for his 40-40 season, and that his legs were toast by the time he got here"?

This is where you you said that it is his fault that Hendry overpaid him.

Soriano is a turd who hasn't come close to living up to that contract the Cubs gave him. It's going to be a long four years before he's finally gone.

You can call him a turd for one set of comments he made, but you certainly brought his contract up. I was merely pointing out who the real blame for that contract should sit.

Rick

Liked Posts:
This is where you you said that it is his fault that Hendry overpaid him.

You can call him a turd for one set of comments he made, but you certainly brought his contract up. I was merely pointing out who the real blame for that contract should sit.

I was quoting you but I'm sure you already knew that.

No, you were putting words into my mouth. Yeah I brought his contract up, so what? It's the combination of his contract and not being very good that's led to him being booed. It's the truth whether or not you think its right or wrong.

Hendry hasn't been let off the hook either if you haven't noticed.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was quoting you but I'm sure you already knew that.

No, you were putting words into my mouth. Yeah I brought his contract up, so what? It's the combination of his contract and not being very good that's led to him being booed. It's the truth whether or not you think its right or wrong.

Hendry hasn't been let off the hook either if you haven't noticed.

Okay I put words into your mouth about him not earning his contract.

Rick

Liked Posts:
Okay I put words into your mouth about him not earning his contract.

It is his fault that Hendry overpaid for his 40-40 season, and that his legs were toast by the time he got here?

I don't like Soriano's contract, but I don't think he is a bad guy either.

In the bold is where you were putting words into my mouth. I never said I blamed Soriano for the contract he was given. I said he hasn't lived up to it.

Everyone knew he wasn't going to be a 40/40 guy for eight straight straight years (the length of the contract) but I, and I think many other fans, expected much more out of him then what he's given to the Cubs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the bold is where you were putting words into my mouth. I never said I blamed Soriano for the contract he was given. I said he hasn't lived up to it.

Everyone knew he wasn't going to be a 40/40 guy for eight straight straight years (the length of the contract) but I, and I think many other fans, expected much more out of him then what he's given to the Cubs.

So it is not his fault that Hendry overpaid for him, but it is his fault that he didn't meet the expectations of the contract? You can't be mad at a guy for not producing at the level of his contract and not blame for him getting the contract.

And thought I would add to an early part of this little discussion that I neglected to mention. How was I putting words in your mouth when I asked you a question? You brought up the topic of his contract, and I asked a question about that. You are the one that took the holier-than-thou attitude since that point claiming that I was "putting words in your mouth."

Last edited:

Rick

Liked Posts:
So it is not his fault that Hendry overpaid for him, but it is his fault that he didn't meet the expectations of the contract? You can't be mad at a guy for not producing at the level of his contract and not blame for him getting the contract.

What are you talking about? I can be pissed about him not meeting the expectations of the contract without blaming him for getting the contract. Why would I blame him for getting the contract? I blame Hendry for that. However, Soriano should have been expecting to be criticized (because of the contract he signed) if he didn't put up astronomical numbers.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting him to be a 40/40 player year in and year out but I was expecting him to be better then he's been. Hence, the reason why I said he hasn't lived up to his contract.

Whether his remarks were taken out of context or not, he shouldn't even comment about Chicago fans booing. Just leads to more trouble publicly for him.

Rick

Liked Posts:

And thought I would add to an early part of this little discussion that I neglected to mention. How was I putting words in your mouth when I asked you a question? You brought up the topic of his contract, and I asked a question about that. You are the one that took the holier-than-thou attitude since that point claiming that I was "putting words in your mouth."

Nice edit

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are you talking about? I can be pissed about him not meeting the expectations of the contract without blaming him for getting the contract. Why would I blame him for getting the contract? I blame Hendry for that. However, Soriano should have been expecting to be criticized (because of the contract he signed) if he didn't put up astronomical numbers.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting him to be a 40/40 player year in and year out but I was expecting him to be better then he's been. Hence, the reason why I said he hasn't lived up to his contract.

Whether his remarks were taken out of context or not, he shouldn't even comment about Chicago fans booing. Just leads to more trouble publicly for him.

I am just confused here because he is being blamed for something that is not his fault.

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion about the topic. I just didn't get the reaction to my post when you brought up the topic of his contract.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice edit

I thought about moving it into a separate post but I saw that you had left. I apologize because I didn't mean for that to be a surprise or gotchya moment.

Rick

Liked Posts:
I am just confused here because he is being blamed for something that is not his fault.

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion about the topic. I just didn't get the reaction to my post when you brought up the topic of his contract.

It's obvious that you're confused.

Once again, I never said I blamed Soriano for signing the contract he was offered. I'll ask you again...why would I blame him for that? Why would I blame anyone for signing a contract that is going to give you 136 million dollars? If I'm going to blame someone for the amount and length of the contract, I'll blame Hendry. This is where it seems like you're putting words into my mouth.

What I'm saying is that fans aren't going to let him off the hook for the contract he signed and the way he's played since signing the contract.

Rick

Liked Posts:
I thought about moving it into a separate post but I saw that you had left. I apologize because I didn't mean for that to be a surprise or gotchya moment.

It's alright, no big deal.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's obvious that you're confused.

Once again, I never said I blamed Soriano for signing the contract he was offered. I'll ask you again...why would I blame him for that? Why would I blame anyone for signing a contract that is going to give you 136 million dollars? If I'm going to blame someone for the amount and length of the contract, I'll blame Hendry. This is where it seems like you're putting words into my mouth.

What I'm saying is that fans aren't going to let him off the hook for the contract he signed and the way he's played since signing the contract.

This is the reaction I am talking about. I've been told that I am putting words into your mouth and that I'm clearly confused. It is good to know that this will be the tenor of our discussions for future reference.

Rick

Liked Posts:
This is the reaction I am talking about. I've been told that I am putting words into your mouth and that I'm clearly confused. It is good to know that this will be the tenor of our discussions for future reference.

You're the one who said you were confused, I was clearly agreeing with you.

jesus cristo :obama: