Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

220px-Jump_Set.jpg

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think thats somewhat of a cop-out answer. I agree that Soriano's contract, which was always going to be impossible to live up to, has played a big factor in some people's negative perception of him. But even if you throw out the comparison as to how each was acquired, I think on the sole merits of performance Dawson was clearly the better player than Soriano. They aren't very similar. Soriano was a guy who was moved to fielding positions of less importance because he kind of sucked in the field. Dawson was moved to fielding positions of less importance to preserve his body. Dawson was one of the greatest all-around players of the 1980'. Soriano has always been a good player with flaws and plagued by inconsistency. I think Dawson accomplished all he could. I don't get the same vibe from Soriano, FWIW.

And I am pretty sure I've said the bolded repeatedly. The point I was raising was why was Soriano viewed so negatively up to about a year ago in Chicago when in the same area offensively as Dawson who was beloved.