Alfonso Soriano returns to New York Yankees

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know if it was planned all along by SilenceS, or if he is like a squirrel backed into a corner, but to say that Alfonso Soriano was/is better than Andre Dawson is a tad bit ridiculous. One is a HOFer. The other isn't. You could probably stop there.

I don't get it. It's either a troll job or a horrible knowledge of baseball history.

For about a decade period you could have made the argument Andre Dawson was one of the best all-around players in all of baseball. At the very least you could argue he was the best all around OF'er. Acting as though Soriano is anywhere in the discussion with that is absurd.

Dawson's #'s, for all the comps to Sorano had him lead the league 11 times and in the top 10 another 164 times on the offensive side. Soriano is comparable in black ink at 10 times. Soriano's top 10 though are less than half of Dawson's at 74..

The JAWS and 7yr peak bWAR's aren't really close.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never dismissed Soriano's production, and if you weren't saying that Soriano was better than Dawson, then I guess all of your posts have been pointless. Got it. Thanks.

Yea, that's what it was about. So, I see we are done here. Lets move on.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
From the article:

'Andre Dawson was the better player in his time with the Chicago Cubs"

Cool.

Soriano doesn't belong in a conversation with Dawson

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the article:

'Andre Dawson was the better player in his time with the Chicago Cubs"

Cool.

Soriano doesn't belong in a conversation with Dawson

Lol last post on this, but are you mentally ill? I know someone who has severe narcissism and you are right on that line.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nice article by Dabs.

Their stats are totally similar!

...until you take era into account....

Way to shoot your own premise in the foot. Is dabs ghost writing for Rosenbloom?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
As I was reading that article my thoughts were "hey this is nice, but Dawson came with a blank contract and Soriano had a big contract." Funny that dabynsky got around to that in his article. :D

I'm not sure how one really compares a LF who strikes out flailing at sliders 4 feet off the plate, jogs to 1B instead of hustling and making silly leaps at flyballs he should be camping under versus a RF who wanted to do everything the right way.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As I was reading that article my thoughts were "hey this is nice, but Dawson came with a blank contract and Soriano had a big contract." Funny that dabynsky got around to that in his article. :D

I'm not sure how one really compares a LF who strikes out flailing at sliders 4 feet off the plate, jogs to 1B instead of hustling and making silly leaps at flyballs he should be camping under versus a RF who wanted to do everything the right way.
Keep in mindl Dawson was winning GG's at Centerfield too

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Keep in mindl Dawson was winning GG's at Centerfield too
Yep. Strong arm in CF for certain. I was posting about the time with the Cubs for both players. I don't remember Hawk playing much CF for the Cubs, but that was a long time ago and I could be wrong. If we just strictly look at raw numbers, I guess they compare, but seeing both of them as Cubbies, I believe Dawson has the clear advantage based upon the smell test.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yep. Strong arm in CF for certain. I was posting about the time with the Cubs for both players. I don't remember Hawk playing much CF for the Cubs, but that was a long time ago and I could be wrong. If we just strictly look at raw numbers, I guess they compare, but seeing both of them as Cubbies, I believe Dawson has the clear advantage based upon the smell test.

He didn't for the Cubs that I can find. I was referring to his entire career since the popular, yet stupid, refrain of late is that Sori and Dawson's careers are similar.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He didn't for the Cubs that I can find. I was referring to his entire career since the popular, yet stupid, refrain of late is that Sori and Dawson's careers are similar.
Yeah. One gets replaced late in the game for defensive purposes. The other one gets to stay in the lineup because he can catch the ball. They must be similar. :D

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, that article just hit on every nail you two just spoke to each other.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Point being is Dawson, Banks, Sori, Sosa, Sandberg or any player after WW2 has even scene a WS in a Cubs uniform.

So nit picking this bit of info or that bit of info is just that nit picking and trying to pump up your favorite player.

Was Dawson a team leader? Yes. Sori? Yes. Sandberg? Yes. Sosa? yes. Did they all do enough to be considered great Cubs? Yes. Did any of them lead the Cubs to a WS much less win it? No.

You guys are just like a bunch of kids in the park arguing over who has the best trading card.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Point being is Dawson, Banks, Sori, Sosa, Sandberg or any player after WW2 has even scene a WS in a Cubs uniform.

So nit picking this bit of info or that bit of info is just that nit picking and trying to pump up your favorite player.

Was Dawson a team leader? Yes. Sori? Yes. Sandberg? Yes. Sosa? yes. Did they all do enough to be considered great Cubs? Yes. Did any of them lead the Cubs to a WS much less win it? No.

You guys are just like a bunch of kids in the park arguing over who has the best trading card.
What?!

Who is nitpicking about only playoff or WS performances?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What?!

Who is nitpicking about only playoff or WS performances?

No the point is NONE of the above have pushed the Cubs to a WS. So that is what you guys are doing. Nit picking.

If this was tennis then we could talk about individual performances because it is a individual sport.

No stat matters if it doesn't lead to a WS.

Shit I'd take 25 scrubs if that is what it took to get there.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No the point is NONE of the above have pushed the Cubs to a WS. So that is what you guys are doing. Nit picking.

If this was tennis then we could talk about individual performances because it is a individual sport.

No stat matters if it doesn't lead to a WS.

Shit I'd take 25 scrubs if that is what it took to get there.

Who the hell is bringing up their failure to get the Cubs to the WS as a focal point of contention for either side?

Unless you are honestly saying Andre Dawson's entire career is rendered meaningless because he didn't win a WS............................................

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Soriano was such a leader when he came over to the Cubs that management was worried about hurting his feelings when he needed to be dropped in the order. That isn't leadership. Soriano became a leader the last couple of seasons, because he finally got old. Sosa was a leader? By blasting his music in the locker room? By leaving the clubhouse while a game was still going on? By using a corked bat? By using roids? Sosa never found a cut-off man he couldn't overthrow. Quality leadership there, if you want to show people how a team sport is all about yourself. Sosa doesn't belong in the same discussion as Dawson and Sandberg when it comes to leadership.

Last edited: