All Wrigley Field renovation thread

Wrigley Field: Fix Up Or Build New?

• Total voters

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say fix it up, I am sure the amenities and technology of a new park would be nice. But i like the older feel of Wrigley. When I go there it feels special, I'm not sure I would get that feeling with a new park.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say fix it up, I am sure the amenities and technology of a new park would be nice. But i like the older feel of Wrigley. When I go there it feels special, I'm not sure I would get that feeling with a new park.

AT&T Park is old-timey with new bells and whistles and it's probably one of the best parks in the majors. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
There are some structural problems/issues in renovating the existing park. The 2 main outer walls are tied into the upper decks, that all has to come down. The cost of renovating all the shit that's falling apart will be the same as if you were to build from the ground up.

Building new also eliminates the obvious need to play somewhere else for a while.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are some structural problems/issues in renovating the existing park. The 2 main outer walls are tied into the upper decks, that all has to come down. The cost of renovating all the shit that's falling apart will be the same as if you were to build from the ground up.

Building new also eliminates the obvious need to play somewhere else for a while.

I think they'd have to do that anyway. Trying to either fix up the ballpark right or build it again will likely take more than an offseason. That's not even considering how much time it'll need to set the place up for demolition and to clear out all the rubble etc before you can even start building back up again. I'd be very surprised if the construction crews were efficient enough to get everything fixed within one offseason, especially if upcoming winters might not be as mild as this one was.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I think they'd have to do that anyway. Trying to either fix up the ballpark right or build it again will likely take more than an offseason. That's not even considering how much time it'll need to set the place up for demolition and to clear out all the rubble etc before you can even start building back up again. I'd be very surprised if the construction crews were efficient enough to get everything fixed within one offseason, especially if upcoming winters might not be as mild as this one was.

Why would you necessarily build on the same site?, don't you know the current location is an old Dakota indian burial ground??...kidding.

I've looked at other sites near there that could be used, can't recall the name off-hand but there's a large park about 2 miles west of Wrigley that would be perfect. You can build there, and convert the old site back to a park. And what are you really moving to maintain the historical architecture of the original?...all amenities such as the scoreboard and signage which get installed last anyways. Do you really want that brick wall in a new park?, I don't think the players care for it.

Another reason to build new is, it eliminates the possibility of the original being turned into another Soldier Field fiasco...and we all know how that mess turned out. All of you Cook county taxpayers will be footing the bill for 3 decades on that architecturally ruined stadium.

With this in mind, the city cannot afford to go the bond route again...like they are doing in LA without a team. It should be a privately funded retail venture with storefronts etc...like the old drawings showed from 2005 or so I think.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only major objections are potential landmark status issues (I think the scoreboard has that which may prevent it from being moved) and the fact that this is a neighborhood so there's a large chance that if Wrigley Field were to pick up and move, Wrigleyville's economy would basically crash. If it were up to just the Cubs I think they'd move but there are way too many interested parties involved that will want to keep the park where it is. So I think the Cubs might be stuck in Wrigleyville whether in an old park or a new park.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only major objections are potential landmark status issues (I think the scoreboard has that which may prevent it from being moved) and the fact that this is a neighborhood so there's a large chance that if Wrigley Field were to pick up and move, Wrigleyville's economy would basically crash. If it were up to just the Cubs I think they'd move but there are way too many interested parties involved that will want to keep the park where it is. So I think the Cubs might be stuck in Wrigleyville whether in an old park or a new park.

This.

Also, I think Rickett's has shown that he is committed to keeping the/a park where it currently is. If he isn't he just wasted $20 million on a McDonald's.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This.

Also, I think Rickett's has shown that he is committed to keeping the/a park where it currently is. If he isn't he just wasted $20 million on a McDonald's.

fuck. i forgot all about that shit. whoooooooooooooooops!

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

Wrigley Field(along w/200 other buildings most of us have never even heard of)is only designated as a city landmark. A simple city council approval vote could send in a wrecking ball to the entire structure, including the scoreboard.

What will happen to the local businesses should the Cubs be forced to play let's say 41 games at Miller Park, and the other half on the south side during a renovation?. I'll guess that Bleachers etc probably make 50% of their annual revenue during those 82 home games. You take those away for a year, and many of those businesses go under anyways.

This is why the better option is to move the park near California and Irving Pk. It could be privately funded(or at least a good portion thereof)via one or more developers. Then you can offer leases to existing sports bars etc. And it gets better, add retail outlets etc to the mix and you have 82 games plus year round shoppers that get hungry.

Sold yet?.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrigley Field(along w/200 other buildings most of us have never even heard of)is only designated as a city landmark. A simple city council approval vote could send in a wrecking ball to the entire structure, including the scoreboard.

What will happen to the local businesses should the Cubs be forced to play let's say 41 games at Miller Park, and the other half on the south side during a renovation?. I'll guess that Bleachers etc probably make 50% of their annual revenue during those 82 home games. You take those away for a year, and many of those businesses go under anyways.

This is why the better option is to move the park near California and Irving Pk. It could be privately funded(or at least a good portion thereof)via one or more developers. Then you can offer leases to existing sports bars etc. And it gets better, add retail outlets etc to the mix and you have 82 games plus year round shoppers that get hungry.

Sold yet?.

I think the location you chose is fine...not as convenient but just a few blocks walk from a number of Brown Line stations it looks like.

I bolded the part because I don't think it's that simple. The neighbors, the businesses etc. would freak out if they tried to move Wrigley Field. They would lobby the councilmembers not to vote that way and I'm pretty sure the city council would listen (prospective votes y'know). I'm all for a new park or a renovation but as said before, the main obstacle is the neighbors and the city. It'd be really hard to convince all those people to go along with a plan that might wipe out existing businesses and property values.

Otherwise, I'm cool with spending an extra ten minutes or so on a train if it means I don't have to sit behind a fucking pole :lol:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I think the location you chose is fine...not as convenient but just a few blocks walk from a number of Brown Line stations it looks like.

I bolded the part because I don't think it's that simple. The neighbors, the businesses etc. would freak out if they tried to move Wrigley Field. They would lobby the councilmembers not to vote that way and I'm pretty sure the city council would listen (prospective votes y'know). I'm all for a new park or a renovation but as said before, the main obstacle is the neighbors and the city. It'd be really hard to convince all those people to go along with a plan that might wipe out existing businesses and property values.

Otherwise, I'm cool with spending an extra ten minutes or so on a train if it means I don't have to sit behind a fucking pole :lol:

I can look it up again if necessary regarding city landmarks. I read it about 5 years ago in their own by-laws when this topic was in the news quite a bit. Obviously they aren't going to destroy all the memorabilia, but the way the city guidelines are written would allow it. The neighborhood would have mixed reactions, the ones whose garages I used to pay to park in would be pissed...while other residents would welcome the peace and quiet.

They can even move the troughs to the new men's room...just to give it that nostalgic feel...:D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can look it up again if necessary regarding city landmarks. I read it about 5 years ago in their own by-laws when this topic was in the news quite a bit. Obviously they aren't going to destroy all the memorabilia, but the way the city guidelines are written would allow it. The neighborhood would have mixed reactions, the ones whose garages I used to pay to park in would be pissed...while other residents would welcome the peace and quiet.

They can even move the troughs to the new men's room...just to give it that nostalgic feel...:D

They can probably retain a bit of the economy by turning the old ballpark into a museum while new businesses grow around the new ballpark. I too would stump for a new ballpark somewhere else in the city so that the Cubs could play one last season in old Wrigley Field before moving, but I really do think a lot of people would resist and that resistance is not trivial.

ChiTeez.com

Best shirts in Chicago
Liked Posts:
As someone who lives a few blocks from Wrigley, they will NEVER rebuild in my opinion, nor do I want them to. First of all, it would put the neighborhood in a wreck. Many streets would be blocked off and it would cause a mess for those of us who live and work here. That's the least of my worries though. First off the outfield scoreboard is a chicago landmark and by law can't be touched. Yes, they could rebuild the front and all of the seats but no! I like walking into Wrigley and feeling like Im walking back in time. You won't get that with a new ballpark. There are Pro's and Con's to both sides and I understand that. It would be nice to have newer amenities for the fans, and hopefully they can add some in. But a total rebuild would be very costly and take some time. The Cubs belong to Wrigley, Wrigley belongs to the fans and will be that way forever. Perhaps in another 100 years they might need to look at a rebuild, but not in my lifetime!

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sunbiz blathering on about the park moving doesn't matter. It's not going anywhere. If it's torn down it's being revuilt where it stands now. If it's renovated..well duh.

Rickett's wouldn't spend $20 million on a fast food joint if he thought there was a chance of the Cubs moving from the current location.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sunbiz blathering on about the park moving doesn't matter. It's not going anywhere. If it's torn down it's being revuilt where it stands now. If it's renovated..well duh.

Rickett's wouldn't spend $20 million on a fast food joint if he thought there was a chance of the Cubs moving from the current location.

I think Ricketts actually bought the plot of land and the rights to use the land as he sees fit. The McDonald's is being operated by its previous owner with the stipulation that they're going to be involved in marketing the Cubs and Wrigley Field if I understand the transaction correctly. But there is a definite commitment by the Ricketts family to keep Wrigley where it is. I'm guessing that they try their best to renovate it a la Fenway Park and a complete rebuild is a last resort.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you haven't seen this yet....The McDonald's lot across the street. Ricketts is building a Cubs Official Merchandise tent.

Ane_0gvCQAAYKa-.jpg

ChiTeez.com

Best shirts in Chicago
Liked Posts:
If you haven't seen this yet....The McDonald's lot across the street. Ricketts is building a Cubs Official Merchandise tent.

Ane_0gvCQAAYKa-.jpg

The only reason this is being put up is because of the equally large sized tent on the other side of the McDonalds which Clark Street Sports runs I believe. The Ricketts tried kicking them off the property, but they have a lease with the city for several years to come, so they were going to sue the Cubs. With that said, the Cubs said ok, we will build our own. Smart move really, but there is already plenty of places to buy merch around Wrigley!

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

How in hell do you know this?...did little birdy Rory Sparrow chirp?.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...that was you.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
How in hell do you know this?...did little birdy Rory Sparrow chirp?.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...that was you.

If you were to put odds on it, how likely do you think the Cubs would, or be allowed to, move away from Wrigleyville? It's a bit much to say it will never happen, but you have to admit it's extremely unlikely.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only reason this is being put up is because of the equally large sized tent on the other side of the McDonalds which Clark Street Sports runs I believe. The Ricketts tried kicking them off the property, but they have a lease with the city for several years to come, so they were going to sue the Cubs. With that said, the Cubs said ok, we will build our own. Smart move really, but there is already plenty of places to buy merch around Wrigley!

But maybe only in the Cubs tent can you buy a jersey with Ernie Banks or Billy Williams as your cashier :D

I don't know too much about business dealings etc but I imagine that would be an advantage, having a number of old time favorites and HOFers at your disposal. If they wanted to, that is.