Allbright: Dave Toub near the top of Bears list

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I assume his knowledge would be tested in the interview process and with Toub I doubt this a spur of the moment thing and he has been studying the offense and defense for years. I just wish he would of been transitioned to one or the other before looking for Head Coach gigs this year.

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach that worked a lot with Dave Toub so maybe that is something to look at. How did John Harbaugh start out when he entered the NFL?

Harbaugh has been a very good HC from his very first year, they went from 5-11 in 2007 to 11-5 and was beat in the AFC Championship by the Steelers.

In the next three years the Ravens went to the playoffs (4 straight years) and in his 5th year they won the SB!!

I can promise you Harbaugh has had several OCs and DCs, but year after year they have been competitive. In 10 years he has only had one losing season.

Harbaugh just like Toub is part of the Andy Reid tree.

I know that Toub is not the same as Harbaugh, but he is one of the only examples of a ST coordinator getting the shot at being a HC and Harbaugh has been more than successful.

I think Toub would be a good hire.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I mentioned this in the other Toub thread, I would be wary of Toub not just because of the great unknown of who would be running the offense, but being a long time ST guy I fear he could be a conservative, ball control, field position guy like ahem...Fox

Then you haven’t been paying attention to Toub’s career at all. He’s been nothing short of innovative in his position. He’s no conservative fossil.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Then you haven’t been paying attention to Toub’s career at all. He’s been nothing short of innovative in his position. He’s no conservative fossil.

Sigh.......

As a STC he's been innovative. He also worked for many years under "....we get off the bus running." You, I, and everyone else that posts here have no clue (or at least, it has not been presented) as to how he would want an offense to run.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Yeah, I'm not sold on Toub as the hire but I completely agree he's no fossil. The dude's special teams are aggressive as fuck.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

Even after ST has essentially been neutered with all the rule changes Toub finds a way to have his unit at the top of the rankings. While Hester was an amazing talent, Toub made him a superstar, and possibly a future HOFer.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sigh.......

As a STC he's been innovative. He also worked for many years under "....we get off the bus running." You, I, and everyone else that posts here have no clue (or at least, it has not been presented) as to how he would want an offense to run.

And now he works for Any Reid..... what's your point?

I think how his special teams have played is much more indicative than who he's coached under. I do agree that it's all speculation though at this point.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Obviously this team needs an offensive mind , not a special teams coordinator as head coach. We don't need to start a new administration with two strikes against us. Only the incompetent Bear ownership would consider such a questionable move.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know all of this. There are posters here who are pretty damn well sure that Toub is going to be this great success, I'm simply wondering how they know that.

You never do.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
And now he works for Any Reid..... what's your point?

I think how his special teams have played is much more indicative than who he's coached under. I do agree that it's all speculation though at this point.
Well you answered my main overall point in your third sentence. I'm not bagging on the idea of Toub, I just don't understand why some are so dead set on the idea that he's the next big thing. The major thing about Toub is that for the most part, everything is speculative. At the very least, a guy like DeFillipo (not advocating for him, or anyone, at this point) is tied to a successful offensive system that we can expect to see. Of course we have an idea how the ST will run under Toub, but how can we possibly say the same for defense, and most importantly, for the guy pegged as our franchise QB.

I'm not outright dismissing Toub. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I love the idea that he, compared to a coordinator, deals with players on both sides of the ball on what is probably a more frequent basis. I just feel that as we've been discussing Toub, people are making more claims about him than anyone else, and it just seems to me that everyone is trying to talk themselves into Toub.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What’s this constant fascination with toub? He had one of the best kick returners in history and one of the best kickers in history and a dumb ass gm that stocked up on special teams players when he was here. What is so desirable about him?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wanted Toub or Arians when Trestman got the job. I was actually leaning towards Toub simply due to age. I could be dead wrong about him but hey, I happen to think it might work out.

I can't believe how many ex players and coaches the Emery regime pissed off.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Priorities

1. Good coach
2. Offensive mind
3. Alpha Male

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Even after ST has essentially been neutered with all the rule changes Toub finds a way to have his unit at the top of the rankings. While Hester was an amazing talent, Toub made him a superstar, and possibly a future HOFer.

It was just Hester either. He made Danieal Manning as a top KR guy among others.

To this day, I still think about that okie-doke punt return he delivered with the fake to Hester and Johnny Knox jaunting to the end zone untouched (was called back though).

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I want an offensive coach.

But the most important thing is that we get a good coach, regardless of specialty. It has been 5 years of the Bears being poorly prepared, poorly coached, and unprofessional, which is the biggest issue facing the team.

If Toub can come in and stop the "no shows", the lack of accountability, and instill some discipline and attention to detail that would be a huge win for the Bears.

I agree with much of what you said in this post, but I'm curious why you label the Bears as unprofessional?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Toubs ceiling is John Harbaugh. Who's been through an ungodly amount of OC's and are stuck with a QB that peaked way too early. Harbaugh is tied with one of the top GM's though. I wouldn't be completely against the hire, but would rather take a chance on a dynasty than a one year run then all the coordinators are plucked.