Altercations at Child's Sporting Events

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know my daughter isn't easy to get along with. She is very defensive over small things and argues over stupid stuff. The other girl said my daughter said she sucked at batting in class today. I could see my daughter saying that in response to something but I also would have gotten a text from the teacher if she had done that. I'm very aware my kid can be a jerk but I'm also aware it's a defense mechanism that we are working on.
I think the parents can be to blame too and I'm not saying you particularly. But as you mention the other girl's father sticking his finger in your daughter's face, there's just no cause for that bullshit and I can see why it would severely piss you or anyone off. He's also, in effect, teaching his own to be just as confrontational rather than curb this behavior as he should.

My daughter is a freshman and can also be confrontational, but just see it at home and not in school or the sports she plays. Her sport is basketball and she really just keeps her focus on her game and what she wants to get out of it, a scholarship. And that's as it should be. Getting embroiled into feuds with others would only serve to sidetrack her and make her look bad while also making it a ton less enjoyable.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My son played baseball from age six through high school. Over the years I saw a lot of weird stuff.

Worst was actually a mother berating her son during a high school game. My son's team was one of the better teams in the division and this other kid's team was one of the worst. The game was pretty much a foregone conclusion from the start. My son was throwing a no hitter against them (not a great feat although I enjoyed it). We were quickly up 10-0 by the third inning.

Out there was their shortstop, a kid that had some athletic talent but obviously hadn't played the game much. He booted ground ball after ground ball, probably at least four or five in the game. Kid really was trying hard but just was having one of those horrible days that you just want to forget. We all actually felt sorry for him.

The worst was his mother. She was out in the parking lot just pouring insults on him with every play. She could see the field from the lot and ripped on him every time he made a mistake. She obviously had been banned from the field before but I guess they couldn't do anything about it in the parking lot. I never heard anything like it in my life. I don't know if she was drunk or high or what but the level of venom poured down on this poor 15 year old kid was extreme. When the kid did make a play everyone on both sides, both in the dugouts and on the stands cheered for the kid. About half a dozen of us dads wanted to go over there and really tell this woman off but we had promised signed a form at the beginning of the year promising to not engage in any confrontational actions or our kids could be penalized.

Parents can be the worst, for sure. So many expect so much from their kids and when they can't live up to expectations they get the brunt of it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I was in HS, my teammate was shot with a pellet gun while playing left field. The opposing team actually the saw the guy in the woods and ran after him and caught him. There were a couple of hits thrown in there before the cops came. lol

AussieBear

when i was 21 i helped my uncle coach a babe ruth team he inherited from my father who passed..

anywho, i was at first base coaching and we had this smart ass 14 yr old who got a single and was walking back to first base after rounding the bag...the opposing coached (38-45yrs old??) actually left his dugout and ran to first base yelling at one of our dipshit players.. he was letting him have it...belittling the guy.. apparently said kid had called the catcher a stupid fuck during the at bat for something..

being a mature 21 and all... i wasnt taking that shit and decided to politely degrade the man in public... trying to pick a in the parking lot after the game fight... i never cursed but the bleachers were laughing their asses off.... i gave a good 5 minute roasting before ultimately getting to the point... my point was if you have a problem with one of our players, bring it to our attentions and we will handle it.... the guy put his tail between his legs and didnt say another word to me or my uncle ever..... ever ever...

said dipshit kid earned several laps....

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
At some point, someone has to be the adult in those situations and take charge and deescalate, regardless of pride. Sounds like your wife stepped up. Could be a keeper.

Bruh, she makes me a better person every day.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good for you Monk. I'm not sure I would have handled that as well as you. Seeing someone in my wife's face.... I've never been in that situation and not sure I would deal with it well.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I should also say that both our daughters are in high school playing their softball game at a park where there were also tee-ball games going on. Not that they were tee ball players.

And the confrontation was with a team mate not the opposing team? That's fucked up.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Monk would just hire me.... dat dude woulda lost his finger and his spotless concussion history.... den I woulda fed him to da fisch busches

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My daughter took the starting pitching job as a freshman on her HS softball team this year. There was a little butt hurt with some of the team mates and parents but it stopped after she proved she deserved the spot after a few games. No confrontations, just grumbling and such.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only altercation I ever experienced was when I was in little league.... my team was bad.... we got our asses kicked alot.

End of one of the games against the best team we did the usual handshake line we did at the end of every game.

One of their players sucker punched me in the gut going down the handshake line.

I tried to play it off but one of my coaches saw me wincing and made me tell him what happened (we were like 7 or 8) and he marched me over to the opposing team's coach to tell him what had happened. Their coach always looked like a total douche to me, but he asked his team who punched me and none of them answered, so he made the whole team run laps lol.

I felt like shit though lol, I had been sucker punched and then got to be paraded up looking like a tattle tale against my will, but I am surprised to this day that both coaches handled it so professionally.

Only other story is just a funny one, a couple year later my Dad was my little league coach and again we were awful. He was having a talk with 2 of my teammates parents after a game in the parking lot and it was like half commiserating and half them suggesting stuff to make us better and at one point my Dad was kinda exasperated and just blurts out "Listen, we just suck... we do" and they walked away.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Only altercation I ever experienced was when I was in little league.... my team was bad.... we got our asses kicked alot.

End of one of the games against the best team we did the usual handshake line we did at the end of every game.

One of their players sucker punched me in the gut going down the handshake line.

I tried to play it off but one of my coaches saw me wincing and made me tell him what happened (we were like 7 or 8) and he marched me over to the opposing team's coach to tell him what had happened. Their coach always looked like a total douche to me, but he asked his team who punched me and none of them answered, so he made the whole team run laps lol.

I felt like shit though lol, I had been sucker punched and then got to be paraded up looking like a tattle tale against my will, but I am surprised to this day that both coaches handled it so professionally.

Only other story is just a funny one, a couple year later my Dad was my little league coach and again we were awful. He was having a talk with 2 of my teammates parents after a game in the parking lot and it was like half commiserating and half them suggesting stuff to make us better and at one point my Dad was kinda exasperated and just blurts out "Listen, we just suck... we do" and they walked away.

Breh... you got beta'd that day. I get why you're such a professional Dominos connoisseur now. Iz all making sense

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Breh... you got beta'd that day. I get why you're such a professional Dominos connoisseur now. Iz all making sense

Why do you e-sucker-punch me in the internet handshake line every fucking time novak?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why do you e-sucker-punch me in the internet handshake line every fucking time novak?

Cus you're a no good dumpster humping barrel diver duh

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cus you're a no good dumpster humping barrel diver duh

Stfu Novak you toothless meth-addled tilt-a-whirl operator

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The worst altercation I got into I was in little league baseball when I was 11, and honestly, I got it the worst from my stepmom. Everyone else except maybe 4-5 parents handled it as well as they could have. Bottom of the 1st, the batter before me, walking from the on-deck to the plate (and me to the on-deck circle) was swinging his bat around, it slipped, and caught my left hand. We didn't know it at the time but it cracked my middle and ring metacarpals in my left hand. Kid was sorry, ump and coach thought it was just a bad bruise. I still wanted to play and "power" through it. I couldn't really swing the bat when I came up but at the time I thought it was just the pain.

Top of the 2nd on a routine ground ball (me playing 1st) caught the forceout at 1st...right in the glove pocket (keep in mind I'm a rightie). I ended up folding up like lawn furniture. Ump and coach called a time out to reexamine my hand, and they decided I should sit out the rest of the game--in case it was broken. So here I am, an 11 year old kid, walking back to the dugout in teary, red-vision pain to the catcalls of about 4 or 5 parents from my team upset that I didn't get the forceout at 1st (including my stepmom). Thankfully the coach angrily addressed them yelling at them to knock it off because my hand was probably broken. Thankfully all but 1 of the parents shut their cockholsters. The one that didn't? My stepmom, who was now indignant that she had to take me to the doctor.

Prognosis? Metacarpals fractured, oh, and you have the chicken pox. Here's a lollipop, kid.

It still ranks as one of the worst days of my life. In the end things got better aferwards because the coach called and asked about my hand. when I told him it was broken and I had the chicken pox he told me to still suit up for the practices/games once I got over the chicken pox because they wanted me in the dugout with the rest of the team, and the next game I ended up suited up for all of the other parents apologized.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Didn't happen at a sporting event but the day after. I was in this basketball league in middle school and one of my friends was on the team we played that night. We lost a close game and the next day this dude starts trash talking me in the hall before class. I don't recall exactly how it went down, but me being the impulsive person I was at the time probably shoved him to get him out of my face and he shoved back and next thing you know we're in one of those silly looking grapple matches for like 3 seconds before one of my other friends pulls us apart. We both get sent to the principal's office, but for whatever reason it was determined among the student population that I had not only won the 3 second grapple fight, but that I had beat him up. Yay middle school street cred.

We remained cool the rest of that year and for several years after lol. Kids are silly.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't happen at a sporting event but the day after. I was in this basketball league in middle school and one of my friends was on the team we played that night. We lost a close game and the next day this dude starts trash talking me in the hall before class. I don't recall exactly how it went down, but me being the impulsive person I was at the time probably shoved him to get him out of my face and he shoved back and next thing you know we're in one of those silly looking grapple matches for like 3 seconds before one of my other friends pulls us apart. We both get sent to the principal's office, but for whatever reason it was determined among the student population that I had not only won the 3 second grapple fight, but that I had beat him up. Yay middle school street cred.

We remained cool the rest of that year and for several years after lol. Kids are silly.

I can only assumed it looked like this Clone.

[video=youtube;IA9mqzJ0iuA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9mqzJ0iuA[/video]

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can only assumed it looked like this Clone.

[video=youtube;IA9mqzJ0iuA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9mqzJ0iuA[/video]
Darn filters...I can only imagine what this is...

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the confrontation was with a team mate not the opposing team? That's fucked up.

The other girl got her feels hurt cause she claimed my daughter said in class that she sucked. I doubt this happened as the teacher would have told us. The teachers know we want to hold her accountable and are quick to let us know.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The other girl got her feels hurt cause she claimed my daughter said in class that she sucked. I doubt this happened as the teacher would have told us. The teachers know we want to hold her accountable and are quick to let us know.

Let them scrap it out. Its the only way to get over it and become friends.