Am I crazy or is 2 first rounders+ a lot??

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Here it is.

1c44ql.jpg

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Khalil Mack is problably the best pass rusher in the game and is only 27 years old! Its a great trade even if it doesnt work out. He can blow out a knee and we basically would have traded away two picks for nothing but the defense is still solid enough that it wouldnt kill us either. We also got a second rounder from the raiders who i think will be terrible this year so that could be a high 2nd rounder. Now it could also turn out that he continues to be an absolute beast and and turns this defense into the best defense in the league while he wins multiple dpoy and we play in a couple of super bowls over the next 5 years and brings a title or two to Chicago. We dont know but you wont ever know if you dont take the chance. Im completely comfortable with the trade.

Love Mack, but not quite on par with Donald and Miller in terms of pass rushers. Very close though.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Any of the offseason gurus on here can tell us where we are at with the cap? Do we have enough $$ left to extend Goldman and Amos?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He just signed a contract extension and just hired a hc I think his job was safe regardless

If anything this gutsy move could hurt his job security if it doesn’t work out because the expectations have now gone way up

Your thinking is all wrong on this

You assume he actually thought that out???

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well someone was.

So what. It would take us 2 1st rounders or more to get up to where a guy like Mack would get picked next year and then run the risk of him busting. That and we didn't even give that. You have to pay for production and no one produces better than Mack at one of the 3 premier positions.

Antobears

Liked Posts:
So what. It would take us 2 1st rounders or more to get up to where a guy like Mack would get picked next year and then run the risk of him busting. That and we didn't even give that. You have to pay for production and no one produces better than Mack at one of the 3 premier positions.

Colour me happy. The beauty is that GB have no idea how to scheme for him.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
That 3rd rounder is more than just a throw in with the deal too. That 3rd rounder is likely to end up being a real ball player.

2 1’s and a 3 is too much

You should know the details of a trade before you default to criticizing it.

We gave them two 1st rounders
We gave them a 3rd, they gave us a 2nd
We gave them a 6th, they gave us a conditional 5th.

They gave us Khalil Mack!

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's too much. Only something like Brady or Rodgers in their prime is worth worth two 1sts.

I said the same thing about Cutler.

Please name one player as good as Mack that we drafted in the first, the last 5 years

Antobears

Liked Posts:
Please name one player as good as Mack that we drafted in the first, the last 5 years
Dude I think you can safely go back a lot further than that...what year was urlacher drafted?

jive

Liked Posts:
At first glance I thought giving up 2 firsts, a third, and a 6th was too big a price. But after some thought, it's actually not a terrible price. First, we're getting a top 5 defensive player at a key position of need at the prime of his career. We're getting a potential HOF player with no red flags such as attitude problems or injury history. Actually, he's the opposite as he's a leader on D and hasn't missed games (knock on wood). He is easily worth a 1st round draft pick. If he were in the 2019 draft, he'd be the #1 overall pick easily. Mack as our 2019 draft pick pick is more of a sure deal than anyone we could have drafted.

After getting Mack as our 2019 1st round draft pick, we in effect traded down our 2020 1st for a 2020 2nd since we're getting a draft pick from the Raiders. If the conditional pick works out in our favor, we trade up our 2019 6th for a 2020 5th. So as far as 2020 picks, we give up a 3rd rounder. Sure dropping from the 1st round to 2nd is a loss, but I think it's a bargain for an All Pro for 2 different positions. Would I trade a 2019 first, trade down a 2020 first round pick, and 3rd round for Mack? No question, as that's a bargain. If Pace continues to hit in the 2nd round by getting 1st round talent (Whitehair, Goldman, Daniels), then the net loss will be a 3rd rounder. A total bargain.

To me the bigger issue is the massive size of Mack's contract. It's the highest defensive contract in the league, but luckily the Bears have the cap space. The only key players that will need contract extensions soon will be Goldman and Amos, but there's still enough room to get that done. I think one of the reasons why the Bears could make this trade while others didn't is because they have a combination of cap space and key players under contract. We have alot of guys still on their rookie contracts, as well as guys who are locked up for the next few years. Yeah, Mack is expensive, but the Bears can afford it without unbalancing the roster.

I like the trade more and more.

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I love this trade. Two first rounders that are probably going to be in the latter half of the first round (if not, then we have more problems than just this trade).

One guaranteed number one overall pick (Mack) for two No. 15's... no brainer.

Svic

Liked Posts:
Love Mack, but not quite on par with Donald and Miller in terms of pass rushers. Very close though.

You do know that Donald and Mack were drafted in the same year. Both won defensive player of the year award and Mack has 1 more sack than Donald in those 4 year. When Mack had only 4 sacks in his rookie season and Donald had 9. Mack has more 10+ sack seasons than Donald and plays a position where he had to some times fall back and cover unlike Donald. So how is Mack not close to Donald as a pass rusher?

Also don’t forget Mack has a play off game on his record where he recorded 5 sacks and a FF.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Trading for a future hall of famer that you can get under contract in the prime of his career.

Let's ask the question in a different way......

Would you rather have a Hall of Famer on the most important position on defense under a long term contract or two first round draft choices........bear in mind there are about 7 HoFers every year......

What draft positions?
If we're talking #1-#5, Mack didn't work out and we would've been better off with the picks used on offense.
If we're talking #25-#32, Mack worked out great, the timing was right for the offense to shine, and we really screwed Raiders.

I'm pretty sure 27 is over the hill and ready to retire not the prime of their career. You need to get a 19 year old to have the player in the prime of their career. At least that's what everyone was saying before the draft.

Think of it this way, we spend 1st round picks on the top 10 defense in 2018, 2019, 2020 and we have no idea if the offense is fixed from being bottom of the barrel. We did this in the day and age where the NFL is making defense a penalty.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only thing in common with the Cutler deal was two 1st rounders. While Cutler at the time looked to be a huge upgrade to this QB ravaged franchise, he wasn't then and never was an elite NFL player. Mack is an elite player...he is right now and hopefully will continue to be.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at previous defensive player of the year award winners and the defense around them at the time. Khalil Mack won a defensive player of the year award playing on a bad defense. /thread