Anderson or Carter?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
You said if it was guaranteed both would be elite. In that case I pick Carter because that position is harder to find and more destructive when elite.

But in the real world I’m taking Anderson first.
Exactly what I was thinking, thanks for saving me the ink.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who would you rather have?

If it was guaranteed that both would be elite, I would rather have Carter because that sort of disruption from the interior line is a lot more difficult on offenses than the edge. And it is harder to find.

That said, Anderson seems to be more of a sure thing if you watch the tape and his production. If he can be Von Miller, it's a great foundation to have for the next decade.
The only college football I watch is the playoffs/championship game and Carter didn't stand out to me. Perhaps it's not fair to criticize based on just two games, but I would go Anderson between the two.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Anderson because there are a plethora of free agent dts we should be looking at.

Kinda why I feel that way.

In an ideal scenario you trade down to 4 w/ the colts, get buckner as part of the trade, sign payne in FA, and still draft anderson.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think I'd love Carter more as a 1-gapping NT than a 3-tech. He looks to have the length and quickness for 3T, but I'd really like to pair him with a pure quickness guy on the interior or even another speed/power guy like himself, kind of like Washington has.

That being said, I'd pick Anderson if I had a choice of the two. I just think the Bears will add a 3T in free agency and Anderson has legit 15 sack upside that maybe no other edge in this class has.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I think I'd love Carter more as a 1-gapping NT than a 3-tech. He looks to have the length and quickness for 3T, but I'd really like to pair him with a pure quickness guy on the interior or even another speed/power guy like himself, kind of like Washington has.

That being said, I'd pick Anderson if I had a choice of the two. I just think the Bears will add a 3T in free agency and Anderson has legit 15 sack upside that maybe no other edge in this class has.

and since he has realistic double digit sack potential, how would you acquire that if you trade down for multiple picks and pass on him?
You simply trade those picks right back and pay him 20+ mil / year like they did for Mack.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
and since he has realistic double digit sack potential, how would you acquire that if you trade down for multiple picks and pass on him?
You simply trade those picks right back and pay him 20+ mil / year like they did for Mack.
I mean, he's not the only player that can sack the QB. Maybe they don't get 15 sack potential by passing on Anderson, but maybe they get 8-10 sack potential from another guy later in the draft. I can see Myles Murphy with that upside. Same with guys like Isaiah Foskey, Derick Hall, or BJ Ojulari. There's also free agency. There's also the interior where the Bears will add a bunch of potential sacks in free agency, hopefully. The Chiefs were 2nd in the league in sacks with no edge rushers over 6 sacks this. Of course, they had Chris Jones with like 16 of them, which the Bears won't have. But you can have a productive DL with only 8 sack guys across the front 4.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Who I think will be better at the end of their career, I’m going with Anderson. Plus we have to go with what’s also available in FA. Top DT in FA and top DE in the draft. Compared to Top DT in the draft and below average DE in FA.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Every draft is different but its pretty common to have 5 or 6 premium position players that are perennial pro bowlers in the first round. Add to this a few QBs and picks 6 thru 8 are generally very solid positions.

There are players other than Carter or Anderson in this draft who will be impact players worthy of a top 10 selection.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You need to see the freak athleticism at the combine/pro days before you can even consider taking one of them at fourth overall, let alone first. The Bears are a lot further than "one player away", so if you're going to commit to either of them and forgo more picks this year or next you have to be doing so with at least the chance that you get an Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack-type gamewrecker. That's really the only way an end or three technique moves the needle for this Bears team.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
That’s all you watch, but Anderson stood out and Carter didn’t?
Not sure. Anderson had one more tackle and a PD compared to Carter. Neither had sacks of course.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
let me add to that dream just a bit, since we are dreaming

trade to #2 and then trade to #4 with the Colts including Buckner. That ensures you don't lose either of your targeted lineman at 1-2. Then you pray #3 prefers Carter
Not sure Buckner is part of a 4 to 2 move. Maybe the 4 to 1, but not to 2.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
And maybe this has been addressed in other threads/posts (apologies if so) but Andersen is an OLB not a DE. Isn't that potentially a fit issue coming to a 4-3 defense?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the dream scenario is that you get the Texans and another team (probably the Colts) bidding against each other, and you can simply trade back to No. 2 and take whatever defensive player you want.

It would at first seem absurd for the Texans to agree to such a thing, knowing the Bears aren't going to get a QB at #1, but if the Texans are in love with a QB, it would behoove them not to let another team jump them for him.
So we can have our cake and eat it to?? :homerbush:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not sure. Anderson had one more tackle and a PD compared to Carter. Neither had sacks of course.
His point was that if all you watched was the playoffs, you didn’t see Anderson play at all. So to come away saying Anderson is the better prospect based off your watching makes no sense since you already claimed you only watched the playoffs and Anderson and Bama weren’t involved

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Kinda why I feel that way.

In an ideal scenario you trade down to 4 w/ the colts, get buckner as part of the trade, sign payne in FA, and still draft anderson.
There should be no real consensus right now, but who are the #’s 2-5 DTs?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anderson: edge rushers are still the premier position on defense. Sacks are the second most important stat on defense behind turnovers and most turnovers are caused because of the pass rush. If you look at the top 30 sack leaders (with ties there are 38 of them) 33 are edge rushers. I also think you can plug the interior line holes in free agency far easier than you can with edge rushers

Yes…but when you find a Donald or Tommie Harris it can mean championship.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yes…but when you find a Donald or Tommie Harris it can mean championship.
I love Tommie Harris and I think he'd be in this conversation if the injuries avoided him, but really the two guys are Warren Sapp and Aaron Donald. The Detroit years of Ndamukong Suh probably also.

Anyways, the point I want to make is these are extraordinarily rare guys and you'll find out come Georgia's Pro Day whether he even has a chance to be like those guys. If he winds up like Fletcher Cox or Kyle Williams you won't be crying about it, but it won't be what you expected drafting the guy first overall.

I don't know, withholding judgment. I agree it can be franchise-altering but its an extremely rare player, really only two of them in the modern post-1995ish era. If Jalen Carter can be the guy he's worth staying at 1.1 for, but its an extremely high bar that comes with a lot of risk.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Between Carter and Anderson I feel they are both elite prospects worthy of a number 1 pick.

I’d take the rare elite player, Carter, only because I think he is also the more durable.

If Anderson is more durable or appears so I would take him first.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It comes down to character often. Supposedly Carter's has been questioned. If there is truth to this then give me the great athlete with excellent character and that would be Anderson.