Any truth to this rumor ? Thoughts?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Chris Jones would make any defense way better obviously but i just don't think the timelines match up

I think they're a year away from making this type of move but I wouldn't hate it
You don’t get these chances every year and they won’t trade for him to play in Chicago one year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Giving up anything of a substance for a non-QB approaching 30 and wanting a large new contract would be dumb as hell considering this team isn't close to competing for a title.
The “don’t add any pieces because we are more than one piece away” argument has always been a fun one.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
The “don’t add any pieces because we are more than one piece away” argument has always been a fun one.

If they were like 3 or 4 pieces away, sure, go get him and address one of the biggest needs, but they're not even 3 or 4 pieces away. Depending on one's perspective, one could argue they need upgrades across the entire offensive line (depending on Wright's injury severity). They need a few competent pieces on the defensive line and arguably 2-3 more competent secondary position pieces. Then they need depth across the entire board.

If you trade for Jones, you're going to be giving up premium draft capital, a large extension to an aging player and still needing to additional starters/depth with fewer resources to obtain those players. I don't believe it makes sense to go all in at this time given how far they are from title contention right now. I'd rather they be patient within reason than going all in when it's clear they're still a ways away.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
This roster is asssss up and down outside of a few bright spots. Bears will need every high pick they have, and poles will have to hit big on them for this team to become competitive.

No way they can afford to make this trade.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
When a player or team trades them? Thanks for the contribution!
The point, which you obviously missed, is simply, because there may be a defensive end on the trading block doesn’t mean they will also be someone available at every other position. How many players get traded the week before the season opens?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Leaning no, but I would make a deal if:

1. Would only cost a 2nd or at most a 2nd + a 4th or 5th

2. The deal would be front loaded and there would be an out for the Bears after 3 years.

I don’t see any reason that Jones can’t play at an elite level for 3 more seasons, but would not go all in on him. It still feels a year or two early for this type of move….but if the staff is SURE Justin is the guy, it’s a move you probably make.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The point, which you obviously missed, is simply, because there may be a defensive end on the trading block doesn’t mean they will also be someone available at every other position. How many players get traded the week before the season opens?
Idk, he’s a DT btw. But they have until week 6 or 7 before the trade deadline and i was being tongue in cheek, due to the current state of OL

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles can 100% wait this out to drive down the price substantially until KC looks like cheap a-holes and gives in to the trade for peanuts. Poles won't pay him much AND give up much to get an aging DT who wants long term contract at record-breaking huge $$.

I could see him paying ~$20+ for 2 years tho (maybe a 3 year deal front loaded to only be 1-2 years in reality). Is Jones really a top rated QB hunter/sack monster worth all that?

They have 2 1st Rd picks next year to get some pass rush on the cheap and young. A rental this year is what they already pitched coins into the can for with Ingokawe (sp?). I wouldn't hate it if cheap enough, but overall, don't buy it.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
They need a few competent pieces on the defensive line and arguably 2-3 more competent secondary position pieces. Then they need depth across the entire board.
What? Poles has done a great job stocking the defense with talent. Drafting Tyrique allows Gordon to settle into his natural nickel spot, withthe starting corners being quality. Brisker/Jackson was great last year. We brought in Edmunds/Edwards to man the linebacker spots. Then we brought in Ngakoue, Billings and Walker who are all starters. Add a true game breaker to that line in Jones and you've easily got what could be a top 10 unit, especially under a guy like Eberflus who has a track record on defense.

It would be a gamble. It would be sorta like bringing in Mack where Pace was thinking he found his QB and had enough to compete for a title. You'd be going all in on Fields presuming a deal includes a first round pick for Jones. It could easily work out and give us some extra oomph to make a run in the playoffs this year.

But, it all depends on Fields. If he balls out then we'll be able to make a run in the playoffs anyway, just not as deep as if we had Jones. Which is why I wouldn't make the deal. If Fields is the real shit, push all your chips into the middle of the table for 2024 until you've got to give Justin a mega deal and hope for the best.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
As far as the chiefs are concerned, I'd be looking to get rid of other guys and keep Jones. You gotta find a way to keep your absolute best players that are key to your success and be willing to let go of the others.

Obviously they made the right choice with Hill but I don't think they could afford to lose Jones and still have a defense capable of winning them a Superbowl. Mahomes is the best but there's only so much him and Kelce can do. In a world where Daron Payne gets what, $22 mil a season? ...$30 mil per isn't a terribly ludicrous ask to start negotiations.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
What? Poles has done a great job stocking the defense with talent. Drafting Tyrique allows Gordon to settle into his natural nickel spot, withthe starting corners being quality. Brisker/Jackson was great last year. We brought in Edmunds/Edwards to man the linebacker spots. Then we brought in Ngakoue, Billings and Walker who are all starters. Add a true game breaker to that line in Jones and you've easily got what could be a top 10 unit, especially under a guy like Eberflus who has a track record on defense.

You've got a much higher opinion on the defensive players than I do. The linebacker spots are the only area of the team I feel confident they've got a good collective unit with some depth. There are a lot of questions marks that I have on the defense and those can only be answered after the real games start getting played which is why I wouldn't make a deal for Jones now.

Stevenson is a rookie so I don't have high expectations for him early on. Maybe he's great from day 1 but he's still a question mark until proven otherwise. Gordon looked awful for much of last season so until he consistently shows that he's a competent NFL player, I believe question marks are still there. I don't think Johnson will be brought back barring a team friendly deal and he's not a true #1 CB either way. So unless Stevenson develops into that, you're still missing an elite CB.

Billings and Walker aren't anything to write home about and Yannick is fine as a pass rusher. Billings and Yannick are both on 1 year deals so they're not a lock for 2024. Will Dexter and Pickens eventually be the replacements for Billings and Jones, we'll see. Will they collectively stop the run better than last year and get consistent pressure on passing downs? Hopefully but I need to see it consistently before I'll believe they have anything there.

Brisker and Jackson did play well last year when they were available but combined spent a good portion of the season injured. Jackson's deal expires after 2024 so if he doesn't have a good year, they could very well be in the market for a new starting safety in 2024 too.

I'd feel more confident if Eberflus was actually running the defense but he isn't, it's Alan Williams gig and he's not produced a good defense at this point in his career as defensive coordinator. So he, much like many others on this unit, are a question mark for me until proven otherwise. That unit last year sucked and outside of the linebacker signings, there are too many question marks collectively for me to say 'yeah, let's go all in on a 29 year old DT who also wants a big extension".

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I'd feel more confident if Eberflus was actually running the defense but he isn't, it's Alan Williams gig and he's not produced a good defense at this point in his career as defensive coordinator. So he, much like many others on this unit, are a question mark for me until proven otherwise. That unit last year sucked and outside of the linebacker signings, there are too many question marks collectively for me to say 'yeah, let's go all in on a 29 year old DT who also wants a big extension".
Yea my post was looking at the upside, for sure. It's not like there's not questions, but you've now got Eddie Jackson and 4 2nd round picks in the secondary, all of which have shown some upside and potential. Billings is a good run stuffer, Ngakoue is a good pass rusher and Walker is a good all-around guy. Add a game-breaker in Jones and all those guys' jobs get easier. It could be really sweet if things break the right way.

But yea, I wouldn't do it either. It's a move you make to vault yourself from contender to favorite, and we're not there yet.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
Would you rather:

Have Jalen Carter and sign Orlando Brown Jr to big money, while keeping your future first? Or have Chris Jones and Darnell Wright, and so long to your future 1st?

It just seems to me bad value to squeeze the most out of your assets to go this route. Poles is a certain amount down the line already with his approach, stick to it

We traded our future 2nd (for Claypool) way too quickly when we were in our stockpile draft pick era. Hate the idea of doing it again, when there may not be another opportunity in Poles tenure to stockpile picks like we’ve been lucky to. Just look at how valuable piling picks has been for the Eagles

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
All of the "timeline" and "sustained success" posters should start looking up their old posts and get them ready to delete

Just in case

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I would almost want this to happen so I could watch everyone turn around and talk up how good the Carolina Panthers will be this year. Then again, I really don't want the Bears to make anymore short sighted win-now trades for a team that is going to win five games with or without Chris Jones.