Anyone listening to ESPN 1000 right now?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The lineup already has lots of power. What they need are people who can put the bat on the ball. Defensively, his numbers have never indicated that he is essentially any better than Castro, yet you have been on record that Castro doesn't belong in the MLB.

A) I have never said Castro doesn't belong in MLB. I say he isn't a plus SS. And I have been proven right. I don't want him at SS for my team, and I won't have to worry about that sny more. Let SD have him.

B) I am not basing my comments on Baez on numbers as much as on the opinions of every scout who watches him. And observations of his range and quickness in the time he has been up. And he won't beat short. He'll be at 2nd.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I could see Baez or Castro being moved because of the logjam of middle infielders. The best way I see of keeping them is if the Cubs go Schwarber to Catcher full time. Then you can move Bryant to left and put Baez at 3rd, where I think he played better than at short anyway.

If Schwarber is at C, we're dead.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
A) I have never said Castro doesn't belong in MLB. I say he isn't a plus SS. And I have been proven right. I don't want him at SS for my team, and I won't have to worry about that sny more. Let SD have him.
My bad. I confused you with some other poster. You just said stuff like this-
It is incredible how bad Castro can be.
Error in bottom of 8th. Cant hit a sac fly in 9th
He defines losing baseball.

B) I am not basing my comments on Baez on numbers as much as on the opinions of every scout who watches him. And observations of his range and quickness in the time he has been up. And he won't beat short. He'll be at 2nd.
The numbers I compare are at 2B specifically. Scouts are scouts. Players play. His play indicates that he isn't any better defensively.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If Schwarber is at C, we're dead.
Agreed. Schwarber can improve his blocking skills. He still has to shorten his throwing motion and learn how to call a game. That isn't going to happen when the club has now entered its playoff window.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
In retrospect this thread is even MORE absurd.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not really trolling. It's bumping a thread for the absurd idea of trading Bryant(?!@#!), Rizzo(??#$!), or specifically Baez(!?)...for the sake of situational hitting when in the biggest situation(s) of the season those three guys came through. Baez has arguably two of the biggest hits in Cubs history right now if the Cubs go on to make or win the WS.

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It's not really trolling. It's bumping a thread for the absurd idea of trading Bryant(?!), Rizzo(?!), or specifically Baez(!?)...for the sake of situational hitting when in the biggest situation(s) of the season those three guys came through. Baez has arguably two of the biggest in Cubs history right now if the Cubs go on to make or win the WS.
I hate to burst your bubble, because you're such an incredible forumite here, but Baez was part of trade talks this past off-season. They brought in Zobrist to play 2B every day. Internally, the Cubs placed more value on Baez than other teams did. Obviously, Maddon's belief in the kid and Baez' hard work has paid off significantly. He still needs to up his walk rate a bit and quiet his swing down a touch (like when going no-stride in 2 strike counts), but he has worked himself into the top 5 part of the core.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate to burst your bubble, because you're such an incredible forumite here, but Baez was part of trade talks this past off-season.
Being mentioned by you as a guy you'd trade isn't "trade talks"..and as I said a year ago..it would have been dumb to move him.

They brought in Zobrist to play 2B every day.
O Rly? I thought Maddon was too much of a genius for that and had Zobrist log nearly 400 innings in the OF.

Internally, the Cubs placed more value on Baez than other teams did.
I know. I told you that..in this thread..nearly a year ago.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Being mentioned by you as a guy you'd trade isn't "trade talks"..and as I said a year ago..it would have been dumb to move him.
Don't be stupid. Baez was mentioned in trade rumors all off-season.

O Rly? I thought Maddon was too much of a genius for that and had Zobrist log nearly 400 innings in the OF.
Less than 1/3 of the season. Whoops!
The signing was kept quiet while they traded their current 2B (Castro) away to the Yankees. Whoops!

I know. I told you that..in this thread..nearly a year ago.
OK.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Don't be stupid.

Ok..you can do math.

Unless I missed it Baez can also play 3B, SS, and when needed the OF. Zobrist being signed didn't immeiedelty negates Baez's usefulness.
I never claimed it did. As a matter of fact, Baez claims he was spending so much time trying to become this team's "Zobrist", that he didn't have much time to work on his stroke until mid-season.

Thanks for admitting you were wrong.
My OK was a comment of dismissiveness.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
I think it would be foolish to mess with this team at all in the offseason. Who's contracts are up? Read it yourselves:

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/10/25/9610248/cubs-40-man-roster-contract-status

The only guys the Cubs need to bring back are Fowler and Chapman. And they need to lock up Arrieta for the rest of his career. If they win the WS this year they will be so flush with cash that they can afford to pay these guys what they deserve and if they win the WS this year I say give them all the keys to the city because they will all be Chicago heroes forever. Trading any of these young guys when their potential is just being realized makes no sense. Baez isn't even arbitration eligible next year which means the Cubs can pay him anything they want. This is why Theo and the Cubs FO are all baseball geniuses. They built a powerhouse team and one that should be intact for at least 5-6 more years. What we are seeing is really awesome. This is by far the best Cubs team I have ever seen and really the best baseball team period.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My bad. I confused you with some other poster. You just said stuff like this-

The numbers I compare are at 2B specifically. Scouts are scouts. Players play. His play indicates that he isn't any better defensively.

Glad someone bumped this. My praise of Baez, and predictions of his improvement are clear.

Laughing at the comment he's no better than Castro defensively. That brings a smile today. :)

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I think it would be foolish to mess with this team at all in the offseason. Who's contracts are up? Read it yourselves:

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/10/25/9610248/cubs-40-man-roster-contract-status

The only guys the Cubs need to bring back are Fowler and Chapman. And they need to lock up Arrieta for the rest of his career. If they win the WS this year they will be so flush with cash that they can afford to pay these guys what they deserve and if they win the WS this year I say give them all the keys to the city because they will all be Chicago heroes forever. Trading any of these young guys when their potential is just being realized makes no sense. Baez isn't even arbitration eligible next year which means the Cubs can pay him anything they want. This is why Theo and the Cubs FO are all baseball geniuses. They built a powerhouse team and one that should be intact for at least 5-6 more years. What we are seeing is really awesome. This is by far the best Cubs team I have ever seen and really the best baseball team period.

Fowler is gone because he's simply not going to age well and the team simply doesn't have a place for him. If they didn't have Heyward then the Fowler argument would make sense but with Heyward here, I simply don't see the point in giving Fowler a ton of money when you have Schwarber, Baez, and Almora to eat up his PA.

Let him walk, take the pick, and continue to build good teams for the future.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Glad someone bumped this. My praise of Baez, and predictions of his improvement are clear.

Laughing at the comment he's no better than Castro defensively. That brings a smile today. :)

Baez made a lot of errors back then. Fact! You're almost as much of a meathead as FirstTimer taking posts out of context.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Baez made a lot of errors back then. Fact! You're almost as much of a meathead as FirstTimer taking posts out of context.

I was just having a little fun with that comment, but you call me a meathead?

Are you pretending for one minute that you and Silence didn't praise and defend Castro endlessly? You think nobody remembers that? Don't even try to pretend you weren't completely irrational in your evaluation of Castro and anyone who threatened to take his playing time.

You're going to deny that, and I am the meathead? Not even close!