Article: 1 Valuable Piece To Be Moved For A Few.........nevermind

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I say re sign Konerko and AJ. You are not going to find better for the money in the FA market. Trade Gavin Floyd and that gives you another 5 mil to play with. Sign Jessie Crian; vey good reliever, will not cost much, and you hurt the Twins at the same time. Almost the entire Twins pen are free agents. Add a bat or two like Eric Hinske for off the bench. We DID win 88 games last year, and I think it's addition by subtraction by losing the Kotsay/Jones/Manny DH suckhole. Also give Morel a shot at third, and Teahen can be a high paid utility guy. God we could use his 5.5 mil for next year. That signing, and the swap of Hudson for E Jack cost the Sox $ 13.5 million in this year's cap. E Jack is a Fa after 2011, and Hudson will not be until 2015.

for one, welcome to ccs!

im down with moving jackson, that is the starter i would move.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I say re sign Konerko and AJ. You are not going to find better for the money in the FA market. Trade Gavin Floyd and that gives you another 5 mil to play with. Sign Jessie Crian; vey good reliever, will not cost much, and you hurt the Twins at the same time. Almost the entire Twins pen are free agents. Add a bat or two like Eric Hinske for off the bench. We DID win 88 games last year, and I think it's addition by subtraction by losing the Kotsay/Jones/Manny DH suckhole. Also give Morel a shot at third, and Teahen can be a high paid utility guy. God we could use his 5.5 mil for next year. That signing, and the swap of Hudson for E Jack cost the Sox $ 13.5 million in this year's cap. E Jack is a Fa after 2011, and Hudson will not be until 2015.

Eh, Crain had a career year last season, so he's probably going to get a huge payday. Even then, outside of two seasons, he's been kinda "bleh" as a reliever, as evidenced by his career 1.87 SO/BB. Bullpen pitching, in my experience, has been pretty hit-or-miss from year to year. At the extremes you can find guys that can put up really good numbers consistently, but with all the variables of relief pitching (no regular work schedule, no control over situation/leverage, facing relatively few batters per outing), relief pitching seems to be a lot more luck-influenced than starting pitching. Hell, just look at the 2005 Sox.

As for Konerko and AJ, I don't know. I hope the organization realizes that in order to make a legitimate run at the WS (which is their stated goal every year), they're going to have to spend some money on better talent. AJ and Konerko are both pretty old; in Konerko we are going to most likely see a fall back to Earth from his career year, either to career norms or past them with degradation due to age, and with AJ, he's never been a "very good" offensive catcher (just barely above average during his time with the Sox, actually), and at 33 I think last year was more than just a whole lot of bad luck, he's getting old, and he can't adapt what little game he had to begin with.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
im down with moving jackson, that is the starter i would move.

Like I've said before, I really don't think KW is slick enough to flip Jackson for legitimate returns based on half a season of innings with the Sox. He might be able to deal him, but it's a legitimate concern that he might get fleeced....again.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I've said before, I really don't think KW is slick enough to flip Jackson for legitimate returns based on half a season of innings with the Sox. He might be able to deal him, but it's a legitimate concern that he might get fleeced....again.

what about doing it early this offseason as a salary dump move? im not looking for a return, just looking to dump his shit off the books. that could be huge in us getting a FA or 2.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
what about doing it early this offseason as a salary dump move? im not looking for a return, just looking to dump his shit off the books. that could be huge in us getting a FA or 2.

I don't know, really. I guess it depends really on how good of a pitch KW can make to a team with excess budget room looking for pitching, because like in the scenario in which KW wants value in return, a team would have to be real smitten with Jackson in order to take on all or even most of that salary. That, I think, is a pretty big stretch considering the best comparison to his contributions outside of his time with the Sox has been hot garbage.

I really think KW screwed the pooch on the Jackson deal, I really do. Either it was made without knowledge of his tremendous pay raise for 2011, or he up and did it without even considering where said pay raise would put his team budget-wise for the 2011 season, meaning he failed to take into account the prospect of Konerko and AJ leaving, as well as what talent will be available via free agency. I guess the third option is that the acquisition of Jackson was a desperation move to ensure the team stayed atop the division (they were still leading the division when Jackson was acquired), which any GM will tell you is a bad, bad reason to make a trade. Really, this move could have been the result of all three options happening at once: with Peavy out indefinitely and the Sox still leading the Twins (and the remaining series against the Tigers, Twins, Yankees and Sawx looming), KW wanted to add another power pitcher (he loves those) to the rotation to help see the club through. This lead him to disregard the team's current budget/payroll situation as well as Jackson's remaining contract after 2010, because if the Sox made the playoffs, who cares, right? This was his fatal mistake, because almost regardless of the outcome of the 2010 season, the 2011 Sox are screwed financially.

Chalk it up as another "win now" KW move that didn't really help the team win all that much (yeah, Jackson was stellar for a bit, but even he returned back to Earth down the stretch, and even then, he's a player that contributes once every five days), and ended up handcuffing the team in the near-long to longer-term (Peavy's out for awhile, so at best Jackson will take his spot in the rotation, the remaining MLB-ready SP prospect the Sox had was shipped to bring in Jackson, and Jackson's raise effectively seals the team off from bringing in big-time FA help under the confines of the budget). Thanks, KW.

Matthew

Liked Posts:
Am I not mistaken that Edwin Jackson was acquired to flip for Adam Dunn to fix our DH situation last season? I was under the impression that was the reason for the trade and then Washington lost interest in Jackson. Correct me if I am wrong.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Am I not mistaken that Edwin Jackson was acquired to flip for Adam Dunn to fix our DH situation last season? I was under the impression that was the reason for the trade and then Washington lost interest in Jackson. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oooh that might've been it...yeah, I think he was. But even then, as a GM, you don't do something like that (acquire Jackson with the idea that Washington will give up Dunn in return) without something concrete already in place. If anything, this should serve as to show how easily KW can be pantsed in the GM ranks. Like, I know he's a "win now" guy, and that he'll do whatever he reasonably can do to make that happen, and I respect that, but the way he goes about it at times (a lot of the time) is foolhardy at best and has the potential to leave the organization in a much, much worse position. And yeah, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, but when the last however many omelets you've attempted have turned out shitty, and you're nearing the end of the egg carton, maybe it's time to go to a restaurant.

Food allegories, FTW.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
thanks Dew

the team is not going to win anytime soon and if we resign ourselves to reality instead of believing the KW n Ozzie hype we won't be so disappointed next year.

I'm on the get rid of Ozzie n KW bandwagon and anyone here is welcome to jump onboard!!![/QUOTE]

i think most of us have. i was a late coming to the get rid of ozzie party, but after reviewing the whole entire season (which is not a sample size) he made some very bad choices, one that i cant forgive is the mark kotsay shit.

well the Lineshit move was the one I hate the most and now of course Teashits as well so Katsay to me is just the straw that broke the camels back

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

Oooh that might've been it...yeah, I think he was. But even then, as a GM, you don't do something like that (acquire Jackson with the idea that Washington will give up Dunn in return) without something concrete already in place. If anything, this should serve as to show how easily KW can be pantsed in the GM ranks. Like, I know he's a "win now" guy, and that he'll do whatever he reasonably can do to make that happen, and I respect that, but the way he goes about it at times (a lot of the time) is foolhardy at best and has the potential to leave the organization in a much, much worse position. And yeah, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, but when the last however many omelets you've attempted have turned out shitty, and you're nearing the end of the egg carton, maybe it's time to go to a restaurant.

Food allegories, FTW.

Yeah, Jackson was supposed to be a key piece in getting Dunn. And yeah, that's still screwing the pooch if this rumor had legs.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
well the Lineshit move was the one I hate the most and now of course Teashits as well so Katsay to me is just the straw that broke the camels back

lineshit signing and the teabag signing were bad signings, but not like how some GMs sign guys to 6,7,8 year crazy deals. I think we have KW under the microscope more just because it is our team and we focus more on this organization more than any other.

the kotsay issue was ozzies fault, and kws mistake was not stepping in to say "look, he is a utility guy" or even earlier than that.....kw should have brought thome back. its a messed up team right now.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
well to me KW has shown he lacks "cojones" this past season...someone needs to give em some good o'l fashion salsa to get his ass fired up enough to show its his show and not the clown in da dugout!