Baker Mayfield eliminates excuses

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your kidding yourself, Bears fans will be doing cartwheels in the streets if Trubisky approaches Stafford (which would make him the best QB in Bears history I might add).

And the point is, Mitch has more NFL starts than Stafford did before putting up 5k yards. I will give you that Qb's develop at different rates, but top 3 QB's are expected to perform in year 2. If it takes until year 3, he was not worthy of the pick. And the longer it takes to develop, the longer the odds are that he will ever be anything more than average. Pointing out an exception, does not make it the rule. And right now, it is getting close to hoping MT is one of the rare exceptions to the rule.

Suggesting it took Stafford until year three to produce is BS, and that is the bone of my contention. He only played 2 1/2 games in his second year, had a qb rating of 91.5 (Mitch has 2 games in this year) and 10 games in his first year (Mitch had 12). Your making the assumption that Stafford would have sucked had he played out the 2010 season, which is not supported by the games he did play in that year. So your statement was blatantly misleading.

You are talking about Trubisky like he has already played his 2nd season.

He has played 1/8th or 12.5 % of his 2nd season.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are talking about Trubisky like he has already played his 2nd season.

He has played 1/8th or 12.5 % of his 2nd season.

I a talking like Trubisky has played in 14 nfl games, had two off seasons, and the time is now to start showing big steps, not baby steps. I actually think by game eight, as you suggested, is fair enough, but some on here are saying you can't judge him until 2019, which is BS.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your kidding yourself, Bears fans will be doing cartwheels in the streets if Trubisky approaches Stafford (which would make him the best QB in Bears history I might add).

And the point is, Mitch has more NFL starts than Stafford did before putting up 5k yards. I will give you that Qb's develop at different rates, but top 3 QB's are expected to perform in year 2. If it takes until year 3, he was not worthy of the pick. And the longer it takes to develop, the longer the odds are that he will ever be anything more than average. Pointing out an exception, does not make it the rule. And right now, it is getting close to hoping MT is one of the rare exceptions to the rule.

Suggesting it took Stafford until year three to produce is BS, and that is the bone of my contention. He only played 2 1/2 games in his second year, had a qb rating of 91.5 (Mitch has 2 games in this year) and 10 games in his first year (Mitch had 12). Your making the assumption that Stafford would have sucked had he played out the 2010 season, which is not supported by the games he did play in that year. So your statement was blatantly misleading.

only if he's winning......losing like Detroit and having great stats is pointless

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I a talking like Trubisky has played in 14 nfl games, had two off seasons, and the time is now to start showing big steps, not baby steps. I actually think by game eight, as you suggested, is fair enough, but some on here are saying you can't judge him until 2019, which is BS.

Fair about Stafford. I should have said he was horrible his first season.

I am going to start judging him by week 8. I should see some improvement and level of consistency in his performance.

I do not think you can make any big picture judgement on him till 2019. If he plays like this for 16 games then we have a major problem, an I mean major.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nobody considers a rookie's first camp an offseason.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fair about Stafford. I should have said he was horrible his first season.

I am going to start judging him by week 8. I should see some improvement and level of consistency in his performance.

I do not think you can make any big picture judgement on him till 2019. If he plays like this for 16 games then we have a major problem, an I mean major.

Horrible his first season, again, your looking at the stat sheet, and didn't witness the games. Let's not forget that Stafford's first year was on a team that finished 0-16 the previous year. Stafford wasn't great, but he did have flashes, including a 5 touchdown, 422 yard game, in which he threw the game winning touchdown pass with no time remaining with a dislocated shoulder. Call me when Mitch does something like that.

[video=youtube;7Q01821q-Hg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q01821q-Hg[/video]

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
For those with selective memory claiming Trubisky has never flashed while whacking over other team's rookies flashing and ignoring their downs.
And this was with a crappy offense, crappy OC and Fox.

[video=youtube;iJEF6OS22Ws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJEF6OS22Ws[/video]

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I prefer my QB's to win something besides biggest stat stuffer

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Horrible his first season, again, your looking at the stat sheet, and didn't witness the games. Let's not forget that Stafford's first year was on a team that finished 0-16 the previous year.
Every team that drafts a top QB had a shitty year and really needed a QB to help fix that. In this case he had a new staff with competent coaches and Megatron to throw to.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For those with selective memory claiming Trubisky has never flashed while whacking over other team's rookies flashing and ignoring their downs.

Well the Bengals called it in and weren't the powerhouse Jets, OH WAIT!

Reactions: Myk

Bears_804

Liked Posts:

Watching Shaheen make some of those catches makes me sad.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Might want to start by winning your first conference game....just sayin

Were you happy the Lions canned Caldwell? I thought he had stabilized Stafford's play to a mid 90s rated passer. I'm not thinking Patricia will be great for him.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Watching Shaheen make some of those catches makes me sad.

Maybe it will work out to be the mid season boost if he comes back after 8 weeks and Sims never sees the field in a Bears uniform again.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Might want to start by winning your first conference game....just sayin

0-6 vs NFCN

Although he did tear up the AFCN, but who cares.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I would 100%, 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000 rather have Trubisky as my team's QB than Stafford. And I've proven that...

TarHeelBear

Liked Posts:
Personally, and I'll be glad to eat my crow if I am wrong, I think Baker is going to struggle some going forward.

Anyone who watched that game last night saw the NYJ defense came in and they were set on coming after Tyrod. They stuck to their gameplan even after Tyrod left and it opened the secondary up a bit for Baker. From what I saw last night, Baker has a tendency to be a gunslinger. He made some bad throws that worked out but I can foresee defenses mixing up their coverages going forward and trying to bait the gunslinger into some of those throws he made last night. He'll have to do better than that long pass to Jarvis that ended up on his inside shoulder or crossing route where the ball ended up on his back shoulder or the out route where Callaway nearly blew out his back trying to make the catch. His receivers made plays but Baker will need to show better accuracy and likely better read progression and decision making especially as the windows get tighter.

Last night was the perfect storm for him to come in and make some plays however and he did.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I would 100%, 1,000,000 times out of 1,000,000 rather have Trubisky as my team's QB than Stafford. And I've proven that...

You've proven what you prefer? All you have to do to prove what you prefer is say it.

I prefer ice cream over gravel, unless I'm driving on it.

buckaroo2311

Liked Posts:
Mayfield was either deadly accurate or damn lucky on most of those throws. This is why it takes time and a larger body of work to determine a QB's value and progress. It was fun to watch, but let's not crown his ass just yet.