Baseball banter with Patrick and Melissa

RyanPaleAndHosed

Liked Posts:
A large portion of it, yes. The likes of Geoff Blum, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts were big-time contributors in that series, along with Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and Brandon McCarthy pitching out of their damn-fool minds. That's a lot of luck right there.

I don't know if I'd include Politte in there. '05 was definitely a career year for him, but he'd had some solid success before that. Cotts for sure though. Blum.

People get too offended when you mention luck. That doesn't mean they didn't deserve it, or that they weren't a good team. Look at any world series champ, I guarantee you they've all had a bit of luck go their way. It's a part of baseball. If you're going to go all the way, you're going to need a few things to bounce your way.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't know if I'd include Politte in there. '05 was definitely a career year for him, but he'd had some solid success before that. Cotts for sure though. Blum.

People get too offended when you mention luck. That doesn't mean they didn't deserve it, or that they weren't a good team. Look at any world series champ, I guarantee you they've all had a bit of luck go their way. It's a part of baseball. If you're going to go all the way, you're going to need a few things to bounce your way.

Nobody wins a championship w/out luck, in any sport, plain and simple. The White Sox were no different. Remember the strike out that was(n't)? What about Kaner's SC winning goal from almost a 180 degree angle? Ask the Lakers about Kendrick Perkins Leg, or how lucky it was the the Saints weren't called for Roughing the QB when Favre threw his last interception. What about Duke surviving a half-court heave by Butler as time expired?

Luck is sports. Having the most talent gives you the edge, but the ball bouncing your way determines winners.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Not to mention look at a team like St Louis. That 2006 team was the worst team they had in years. The 2004 and 2005 versions would have kicked it's ass. The 2006 team won the WS though because they got some great pitching, timely hitting, and Detroit forgot how to throw to first base.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Renyel Pinto was DFA by the Marlins.

Sign him now KW & send Randy Williams packing!

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Uhhh...no thanks. He has a career WHIP of 1.463 and a SO/BB ratio of 1.46. So he continually gives up bases and is bad in one area that he has definite control over (walks), yeah no thanks.

And you don't have to have a bullpen replacement waiting, just release Randy Williams. There is no reason for him to be on this ballclub anymore, and the Sox really need to take that toy away from Ozzie.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
He needs a LOOGY but I can't imagine you can't find one somewhere, ANYWHERE that's better than Randy.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Not to mention look at a team like St Louis. That 2006 team was the worst team they had in years. The 2004 and 2005 versions would have kicked it's ass. The 2006 team won the WS though because they got some great pitching, timely hitting, and Detroit forgot how to throw to first base.

Good lord. Remember the errors in that World Series?

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Joel Zumaya had like 7 errors on his own.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Lord, the 2006 WS :rolleyes:. I remember I was dating a Cardinals fan at the time, and she made me sit down and watch EVERY game with her, and she ended up getting pissed because 1) I was rooting for the Tigers and 2) I kept pointing out to her that her team wasn't very good and the fact that if they won, they would be the shittiest (as determined by W-L record) WS champion ever. When they won it she was all in my face about it, but since she kinda-sorta saved my life I was willing to let it slide.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
nice to see the White sox forum get some activity.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Tigers OBP that series was .246...ewww.

David Eckstein, worst WS MVP ever?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Scott Brocious can lick my nuts. David Eckstein is the best baseball player, like, ever. :rolleyes:

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
linfbrosius.jpg

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire