I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Correa would change things. Otherwise, I imagine they stay in the dumpster dive of 1 year rentals to try and flip

CSF77

Liked Posts:
22 mil a year isn’t a payday for him?

Right…

He was in the conversation for cy before he gassed out.

I get the doubt. But let's look at this as half full vs half empty.

He met his potential.

He had a minor injury that most likely was related to a increased work load vs a tramatic injury.

He came back after it and still held solid velocity.

He has the time to fully recover from it.

So I get why he got a 2 year at 22M. 22 m is what last year was worth. It would go north in $ and term if he went 180+ innings and got top 3 in cy.

If he gets that this year expect that opt pulled and he is looking at far more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Correa would change things. Otherwise, I imagine they stay in the dumpster dive of 1 year rentals to try and flip

Ya. They have been linked to Kramer for CF. Take his $ and a prospect. 10-20 not 1-10.

Stuff like that makes more sense. Jed has 110M to play with so give teams a chance to reshuffle their payroll and not costing a blue chip.

Jed has been pretty good at targeting high ceiling types.

Mets are also on the board with Davis for 3B.

I don't mind a stitched together team for 2022. I will be more active in the prospect thread this year

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

I get the doubt. But let's look at this as half full vs half empty.

He met his potential.

He had a minor injury that most likely was related to a increased work load vs a tramatic injury.

He came back after it and still held solid velocity.

He has the time to fully recover from it.

So I get why he got a 2 year at 22M. 22 m is what last year was worth. It would go north in $ and term if he went 180+ innings and got top 3 in cy.

If he gets that this year expect that opt pulled and he is looking at far more.
LOL.

He had one great half-year. He fell apart in July and was ass for the rest of the season and couldn't put the ball over the plate when he wasn't target practice in the playoffs, where he didn't "hold solid velocity." He took advantage of this past year being a good year and good for him and Boras. 1 good year (more like one great half year) out of 7 doesn't merit big $$$. Sure as fuck doesn't merit more than 2 years. The cubs were paying Yu Darvish 22.6 mil. Jon Lester 25 mil. This isn't cubs/sox bickering. Carlos Rodon has no business being in the same neighborhood contract/money-wise as these two. But again--Scott Boras is good at what he does when he's not busy being a prick and San Fran paid.

Also, 2 years isn't typically what a 29-year-old "top of rotation" (more like #3 starter on a decent team) FA pitcher looks for.

He met his potential? Puff puff pass that shit right on over here friend. That's some good, strong stuff. Or at least let me know the strain so I can hit my dealer up.

He was drafted #3 overall and has barely cracked 130 innings a year in 3 out of his 7 years on top of 2021 being the only year he got accolades (5th in Cy Young and an Allstar) while making his career WHIP, ERA, K/9, BB/9, K/BB look a lot better than his 6 non-career years. NC State took advantage of his breaking stuff, piled up a shitload of innings on his arm, and the white sox had to deal with a time bomb of an arm that got hurt multiple times and provided very little fruit until 2021.

22 mil was what damaged goods that flashed last year (the previous 6 not so much) was worth to San Fran, we agree there. It sure as fuck isn't what his previous 6 years were. I expect him on the DL by June/July, not because I'm rooting for him to get hurt--but because its kind of his MO to not be healthy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LOL.

He had one great half-year. He fell apart in July and was ass for the rest of the season and couldn't put the ball over the plate when he wasn't target practice in the playoffs, where he didn't "hold solid velocity." He took advantage of this past year being a good year and good for him and Boras. 1 good year (more like one great half year) out of 7 doesn't merit big $$$. Sure as fuck doesn't merit more than 2 years. The cubs were paying Yu Darvish 22.6 mil. Jon Lester 25 mil. This isn't cubs/sox bickering. Carlos Rodon has no business being in the same neighborhood contract/money-wise as these two. But again--Scott Boras is good at what he does when he's not busy being a prick and San Fran paid.

Also, 2 years isn't typically what a 29-year-old "top of rotation" (more like #3 starter on a decent team) FA pitcher looks for.

He met his potential? Puff puff pass that shit right on over here friend. That's some good, strong stuff. Or at least let me know the strain so I can hit my dealer up.

He was drafted #3 overall and has barely cracked 130 innings a year in 3 out of his 7 years on top of 2021 being the only year he got accolades (5th in Cy Young and an Allstar) while making his career WHIP, ERA, K/9, BB/9, K/BB look a lot better than his 6 non-career years. NC State took advantage of his breaking stuff, piled up a shitload of innings on his arm, and the white sox had to deal with a time bomb of an arm that got hurt multiple times and provided very little fruit until 2021.

22 mil was what damaged goods that flashed last year (the previous 6 not so much) was worth to San Fran, we agree there. It sure as fuck isn't what his previous 6 years were. I expect him on the DL by June/July, not because I'm rooting for him to get hurt--but because its kind of his MO to not be healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I guess this writer has a shit opinion also.

Unfortunately, Rodón’s lengthy injury history came back to haunt him as the season wore on. Elbow and shoulder injuries limited him to just 42.1 innings combined between 2019 and ‘20, and as he continued to pitch deeper into 2021, fatigue set in, with his velocity slowly dropping from start to start.

And this.

He entered spring training throwing in the upper 90s regularly, and his fastball wound up averaging 95.4 mph last year, the hardest it had been in his career. All that additional velocity took his fastball from an average pitch to an elite weapon. His heater’s whiff rate had never topped 20% in his career but jumped to 29.7% in 2021, and opposing batters managed just a .264 wOBA off the pitch. It also paired nicely with his already excellent slider and changeup to form a trio of plus pitches to mow down opposing batters.

By the end of the season, he was also dealing with shoulder trouble that limited him to six starts in August and September. The White Sox tried giving him extra rest between his starts when they could, and their position in the standings meant they could afford to lose him from the rotation for long periods of time down the stretch, but Rodón’s body just couldn’t hold up under the huge workload increase. By late September, his fastball was averaging just a hair over 90 mph and topping out at 93, and his lone postseason appearance was an abbreviated start against the Astros in the decisive Game 4 of the ALDS, in which he allowed two runs on three hits in 2.2 innings of work.

so for sure he holds risk. And his deal is a fair market for him. He put up 2.37 ERA, 2.65 FIP and 4.9 WAR all leading Chicago’s pitching staff.

So 22M? Aces make 34M+ now. That is a strong gamble when the reward could be a 34M season or a 2WAR season due to another flat tire.

The fact that the Giants gambled and last year they struck gold on a gamble. Maybe they kinda are not stupid.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not against this

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Except he gassed out in July, not with 2 weeks to go in the season only to have it stolen from him.

You even cite an article saying he made only 6 starts in Aug/Sept because he was injured. Shocking.
I guess this writer has a shit opinion also.
If dying on a stupid hill trying to argue Rodon is more like the pitcher he was for 1/2 of 1 out of 7 seasons—then yes. The writer has a shit opinion.

So 22M? Aces make 34M+ now. That is a strong gamble when the reward could be a 34M season or a 2WAR season due to another flat tire.

The fact that the Giants gambled and last year they struck gold on a gamble. Maybe they kinda are not stupid.
So Darvish and Lester aren’t aces because they weren’t getting 34 mil when the cubs paid them 7 and 3 years ago? Let’s put aside ownership collusion of not paying guys for a minute.

Don’t understand that logic at all. Especially with output they got after Darvish fixed his issues and Lester walked into day 1 with. Rodon makes a hair behind Darvish’s number and 3 mil less than what Lester was getting. I don’t think he has any business getting that money (but again, he’s got a great agent). You obviously feel differently.

San Fran has also gambled before and lost. Johnny Cueto sure sucked after 1 good year in 2016. Pretty sure they’d want a “do over” on trading Reynolds’s for McCutcheon. And do I have to drop Barry Zito?

They’re taking a risk and you’d have us believe it’s going to work because you like 1/2 out of 1 year (out of 7) of the guy they overpaid for on top of an article talking about his velocity last year. Not now. Last year.

I dont get it. Do you just arguing shitty points because you like to argue?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure, but I think I was the first one to scream "NO WAY" to a Rodon signing. He actually sounds like a good guy who is inflicted with the strange "injury bug" that for no apparent reason sticks with certain players. I hope it works out for him in SF.....IMOP, the Cubs could use that money on younger(he'll be 30 next month), healthier talent.

I'd also estimate that it's 50/50 that he gets out of spring training unscathed.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2:28pm: Suzuki has not chosen a team yet, according to Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times, who says six to seven teams remain under consideration. Jon Heyman of MLB Network names the Padres, Dodgers, Red Sox, Giants, Mariners, and Cubs as some of the teams still involved.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure, but I think I was the first one to scream "NO WAY" to a Rodon signing. He actually sounds like a good guy who is inflicted with the strange "injury bug" that for no apparent reason sticks with certain players. I hope it works out for him in SF.....IMOP, the Cubs could use that money on younger(he'll be 30 next month), healthier talent.

I'd also estimate that it's 50/50 that he gets out of spring training unscathed.

Pointless topic now. He is a Giant not a Cub. We can review this at the ASG. That will be a good indicator of what he has become.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Have to guess Pads will over pay. JR is out for a few months.

Yanks are out on Freddy. Braves traded for Olson. Expect the Dodgers to pay on him.

Cubs signed Garcia and Chavez. That makes 3 signings and none moved the needle.

Jed is going for Boogy this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Starting Pitchers

Brett Anderson (34)
Chase Anderson (34)
Tyler Anderson (32)
Chris Archer (33)
Jake Arrieta (36)
Matthew Boyd (31)
Trevor Cahill (33)
Johnny Cueto (36)
Zach Davies (29)
Danny Duffy (33)
Chris Ellis (29)
Thomas Eshelman (28)
Mike Fiers (37)
Mike Foltynewicz (30)
Chi Chi Gonzalez (30)
Zack Greinke (38)
J.A. Happ (39)
Matt Harvey (33)
Chad Kuhl (29)
Wade LeBlanc (37)
Wily Peralta (33)
Michael Pineda (33)
Garrett Richards (34)
Drew Smyly (33)
Jose Urena (30)

I wouldn't mind Folty out of the group. Push another arm into the pen.

Pen
Archie Bradley

Push him for the closer job.

I expects some fluff signings after that. But those two could be solid flip deals.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pointless topic now. He is a Giant not a Cub. We can review this at the ASG. That will be a good indicator of what he has become.
It wasn't pointless when you relentlessly beat the drum for him which bored a lot of us to tears.

Hoyer may sign one big name to try and drum up some interest....but for the most part, the maladroits that will be stumbling out to their positions are the ones they have been already signing. But hey, that's what rebuilds are all about.....hope a few of these dorks show up for half a year and dump them for some raw young talent or draft picks.

Unless it turns into sub .500 division.....the only thing the Cubs will be contending for is some Arizona golf club reservations.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It wasn't pointless when you relentlessly beat the drum for him which bored a lot of us to tears.

Hoyer may sign one big name to try and drum up some interest....but for the most part, the maladroits that will be stumbling out to their positions are the ones they have been already signing. But hey, that's what rebuilds are all about.....hope a few of these dorks show up for half a year and dump them for some raw young talent or draft picks.

Unless it turns into sub .500 division.....the only thing the Cubs will be contending for is some Arizona golf club reservations.

Right now:

Happ LF
Ortega CF
Heyward RF
3B Wisdom
SS Simmons
2B Madrigal
1B Swindell
C Gomes/Contreras
DH Gomes Contreras

Bench
Horner
Frazier

I see Horner mostly used in the IF rotations at SS and 2B.

Frazier strictly vs RH pitching. Most likely moving Happ to CF those days. Ortega can not hit lefties.

With the DH is gives 600 PA to both catchers with a sid rotation. So a 3rd emergency catcher makes sense on the bench.

Pitching. Jed has said pitching pitching pitching. He really has not made a significant add here post lock out. Chavez was a split deal and he has looked worse sense his last stint.

To be honest it makes sense to rent flips. Marquez and Killian should be at Iowa. Worst case Killian ends up in the rotation and Marquez closes next year.

So in this view point. Sign a starter and a closer on a 1 year deal. Flip them and insert Marquez and Killian post deadline.

I would extend Contreras then. Keep the C/DH status que. Rotate Amaya in when he returns from TJ.

Davis I would promote with Marquez and Killian. I would look to trade Happ. He has too many holes in his game to go all in on.

About it. Simmons gives a mini bridge to the SS depth upwelling. This year Howard should be at SB and if his bat improves AA. AAA next year.

Hernandez we know little about at this point. He could just take and jump 3 levels. The talent is that good. We need to see the polish at this point.

Regarding Rodon. I'm still in his corner. I see him as a guy that started to take the game more serious but his endurance was not where he needed it to be.

Ya he half assed it until his walk year. His roster cut finally got his head out of his ass. But what it showed is he has that upside.

I take this as another Rich Hill. Same book. Soft. Never met his potential. Then he started to take it more serious and strengthen his lower half. Rest is history.

So I'm not writing the guy off. He is only 30. Way too soon to call him trash

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My buddy is renting his townhome to John Hicks in Des Moines. He's paying upfront 4 months but no more in case he gets called up lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My buddy is renting his townhome to John Hicks in Des Moines. He's paying upfront 4 months but no more in case he gets called up lol

Not a bad idea getting a vet in Iowa to catch Killian and Marquez. I could see him called up if needed. But I believe Jed really wants a vet there to help mold the upwelling vs helping the team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Owners and Players agree, Its just a formality now. Opening day is April 7th and players can report to camp as soon as tomorrow
The elephant question for the Cubs is as ever...

"When will 'good' baseball be back?"

Theres always next year.