CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
my mock draft, added to the 2nd post:

1st Round: Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
2nd Round: Larry Warford - OG - Kentucky
4th Round: A.J. Klein - ILB - Iowa State

That would be a great draft IF we sign a free agent OT.

We cannot go into the season with Webb and Carimi starting at OT for us,.

CanadianBears

Liked Posts:

That was exactly the same thought that I had when I read his mock. If we sign a FA OT, I think we will have the luxury of looking to other areas beyond the o-line and a new TE would be a great start!

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

That was exactly the same thought that I had when I read his mock. If we sign a FA OT, I think we will have the luxury of looking to other areas beyond the o-line and a new TE would be a great start!

I'm hoping to God we sign an OT. There's some decent ones that could hit FA this season -- and no one we get in the 20's is going to be a huge upgrade for a year or so.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
Re-Sign

DT Henry Melton 5 years 37.5 million/18 guaranteed [5/6/7/9/10.5]

OG Lance Louis [4 years 15 million/5 guaranteed] [2/4/4/5]

LB Nick Roach [2 years 6 million/3 guaranteed] [2/4]

CB Kelvin Hayden [2 years 4 million/1 guaranteed] [2/2]

DE Israel Idonjie [1 year/1.5 million] [1.5]

Release/Not Re-sign/Reitre [Money Saved]

LB Brian Urlacher

TE Kellen Davis [3]

WR Devin Hester [2.5]

CB D.J Moore

Restructure

WR Brandon Marshall

DE Julius Peppers

CB Charles Tillman

Free Agents

OT Sebastian Vollmer [New England] 5 years 30 million/16 guaranteed [5/6/7/8/4]

The Bears need to add an OT at some point in the offseason. I think that it is a risk to go into the draft with a need as big as the Bears have at OT. Right now are starters are Webb, who at his best has been average, and Carimi who has struggled terribly at RT. I do not believe that Clady, Albert or Bushrod are going to hit free agency so the Bears need to look at an upgrade from another source. In my opinion Vollmer can play LT or RT and he solidifes one spot and allows the Bears to focus on competition and help at the other. Vollmer will be cheaper and more likely to hit the market than Clady and others because of his age [29] and his injury history.

259-388x230.jpg

TE Dustin Keller [NY Jets] 5 years 22.5 million/10 guaranteed [3/4/4/5.5/6]
The Bears TE position is amongst the weakest on the team and it hurts their offence almost every week. Keller provides Cutler with the recieving threat at TE that he wants so badly. Keller is ultra athletic and has solid hands, but he has been crippled by terrible QB play. By coming to Chicago Keller can play with a real QB, be the unquestioned starter and possibly #2 option in the passing game and play for a OC that was a former TE.

dustin-keller-7_31_11.jpg

QB Drew Stanton [Indianapolis] 2 years 4 million/2 guaranteed [2/2]

With Jay Cutler missing at least a game a year we need someone behind him that can keep the ship on the road for a couple of weeks. Stanton has similar mobility to Cutler and he will not stand at 5 yards like a statue like J Campbell.

stantonx-inset-community.jpg

LB Jonathan Casillas [New Orleans] 2 years 4 million/2 guaranteed [2/2]

A back up for New Orleans he has a ton of speed and he plays hard and can come here and get a chance to start on a reasonable raise and prove himself as a starter for a new deal. With Roach moving to the middle and Greene being groomed in that spot as the long term answer Casillas can play SLB.

jonathan-casillasjpg-688148a88baa00fc_medium.jpg

Draft

1[23] OG/C Jonthan Cooper [UNC] 6'3" 320lbs.

The Bears are in the draft position where they can choose the 4th best OT in the draft or pick one of the higher ranked interior players. Cooper or Warmack can come in and start day 1 and provide the Bears with the LG that they need. Cooper is the pick because of his versatility and ability to play C if Carimi continues to develop at OG. While Warmack is a more powerful player, Cooper is more athletic and combines the ability to pull with great pass protection skills. Cooper has the balance and heavy hands that the Bears need to allow Cutler to step up in the pocket and deliver the ball. Cooper also has a mean streak and with his size he gives us two [Lance Louis] 320lbs OGs that will punch you right in the mouth. Cooper immediatly becomes a starter and probably stays there for the next 10 years, he does not have the risk of a guy like Chris Williams.

ncf_u_jonathancooper_es_600.jpg

2[54] LB Khaseem Greene [Rutgers] 6'1" 235lbs.

If Lovie is retained as head coach, which I think he will be, the Bears will be looking for a new MLB and there are 2 things that they will be looking for, speed and ability to cover. Greene has both of these things to spare being a converted safety. Greene can run all over the field and can handle the demands in coverage that the position needs. Greene also has a little New Jersey toughness to him and he plays hard and physical against the run and makes plays with his speed and his aggressiveness.

11856375-large.jpg

4. OT Xavier Nixon [Florida] 6'6" 314lbs.

The Bears need to add developmental depth at the OT spot and allow Carimi to move full time to OG and focus on being a good player there. Nixon can come in and compete at RT with Webb, while we develop him as a long term LT. Nixon has incredible athletic ability and has finally shown that he has gotten stronger and can keep weight on. He has started 4 seasons in the SEC and is battle tested with ups and downs along the way.

508758ce9811e.image.jpg

5. CB Travis Howard [Ohio St] 6'1" 200lbs.

A big physical CB that can be developed behind Charles Tillman and provide depth while contributing on special teams. Howard has the physical skills to be a starting CB in a Cover 2 defense.

Travis+Howard+UAB+v+Ohio+State+F1on1te3pXel.jpg

6. WR Lanear Sampson [Baylor] 5'11" 200lbs.

The Bears need to move on from Hester who is bringing nothing to the table right now on offense or in the kick return game. Sampson really has one skill and that is to run deep and to force coverage back. He can replace what Hester does on offense and clear out defenses and return kicks.

Lanear+Sampson+Baylor+v+Kansas+State+hcFdF7QoA7sl.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, Stanton

RB: Forte, Bush, Allen, Rodriguez

WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Sampson, Weems

TE: Keller, Spaeth, Adams

LT: Vollmer, Nixon

LG: Carimi, E. Williams

C: Cooper

RG: Louis, Garza

RT: Webb, Brown

RE: Peppers, McClellin

DT: Melton, Collins

NT: Paea, Toneia

LE: Wootton, Idonije

SLB: Casillas, Hayes, Costanzo

MLB: Roach, Greene

WLB: Briggs, Thomas

CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, Howard, Frey, McManis

FS: Conte, Hardin

SS: Wright, Steltz, Walter

I like the idea of this offseason alot. We do need at least 2 quality upgrades on the OL and while Vollmer scares me a little bit with the injury history but he's a more than capable pass protector and is talented enough to play on the left side and Cooper is a stud athlete that could actually give us a guard with pro bowl potential. After watching the shit show on the offensive line recently that's almost a surreal thought.

The only issue is you seem to be significantly underestimating how much a quality TE like Keller could get on the open market. John Carlson got 5/$25 mil and he sucks. Proving it only takes one team to overspend and outbid when they really want a player.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of this offseason alot. We do need at least 2 quality upgrades on the OL and while Vollmer scares me a little bit with the injury history but he's a more than capable pass protector and is talented enough to play on the left side and Cooper is a stud athlete that could actually give us a guard with pro bowl potential. After watching the shit show on the offensive line recently that's almost a surreal thought.

The only issue is you seem to be significantly underestimating how much a quality TE like Keller could get on the open market. John Carlson got 5/$25 mil and he sucks. Proving it only takes one team to overspend and outbid when they really want a player.

agreed, but the TE market is a good one this off-season. My guess is Bennett (NYG) and Cook (TN) get the big money. Keller will likely get less than them. He and Fasano will see similar money, imo...even though Keller is the better all-around TE...his stats aren't great and he's got an injury history.

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
True but quality players on the open market get paid, unless there are serious injury concerns 22.5 million over 5 years seems very low.

Anyways this type of offseason would solve so many HUGE needs. And back to Vollmer for a minute as watching the Pats game last night it was weird seeing a tackle move his feet, mirror an end, and seal off the edge instead of diving at a DE to try and slow him down after getting killed off the edge.

I know there's injury concerns but if he's available sign me up. We need anyone who can constantly pass block effectively badly.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Feel free to link the Mock Draft article I did a few weeks back, X.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
Edwin Williams and Garza at this point would struggle to start on another NFL team.

There is a huge difference between okay (Garza, E. Williams) good (Louis) and elite (Warmack).
how you know Warmack is elite?

i never said C is solid, in fact that's one of top weakness.

i say we draft Barrett Jones from Bama for C.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Feel free to link the Mock Draft article I did a few weeks back, X.

If it pre-dates this thread, I won't merge them -- but i'll find it and add your mock to the 2nd post :hi5:

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
well that's why we will always be mediocre.
btw great quote in sign.

I may have to take my prediction back if our guys don't start catching the dang ball.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did I read somewhere on this board that this OL class was week? From what CBS has for projections (and I realize it's early) there are 4 first round Tackles and 3 First round guards. I think we have to go OL first pick but then what do we do about MLB. I have a feeling Url re-signs to finish what he started in Chicago but we do need to figure out who's coming after him.

Rey Maualuga (CIN) - MLB is a free agent next year that is described as solid but not spectacular. Don't really know anything bout him except he is 6-2 265 and 25 years old. Don't think the Bengals will let him go.

Maybe a guy like Kevin Reddick out of UNC, who is projected in the 4th right now but I've read a lot of good things about him. UNC linebackers have been doing pretty good at the pro-level lately.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Did I read somewhere on this board that this OL class was week? From what CBS has for projections (and I realize it's early) there are 4 first round Tackles and 3 First round guards. I think we have to go OL first pick but then what do we do about MLB. I have a feeling Url re-signs to finish what he started in Chicago but we do need to figure out who's coming after him.

Rey Maualuga (CIN) - MLB is a free agent next year that is described as solid but not spectacular. Don't really know anything bout him except he is 6-2 265 and 25 years old. Don't think the Bengals will let him go.

Maybe a guy like Kevin Reddick out of UNC, who is projected in the 4th right now but I've read a lot of good things about him. UNC linebackers have been doing pretty good at the pro-level lately.

I know quite a few Bengals fans...and most of them expect better from their MLB...and generally don't care for Maualuga. :shrug:

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Walter Football:
1st Round: 22th Pick -- Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
2nd Round: 53th Pick -- Larry Warford - OG - Kentucty​

Walter Football got updated.

Reactions: X

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Before we replace Urlacher we need to know what is happening with our coach because we may be moving to the 3-4.

If we move to the 3-4 we may be looking at big thumpers like Mualaga.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know quite a few Bengals fans...and most of them expect better from their MLB...and generally don't care for Maualuga. :shrug:

I don't think we can expect to fix MLB in FA anyway.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before we replace Urlacher we need to know what is happening with our coach because we may be moving to the 3-4.

If we move to the 3-4 we may be looking at big thumpers like Mualaga.

I think we will know quickly whether Lovie is coming back once the season is over. If he's not, I hope Emery has already got a plan A, B, and C to go to. From what the beat writers and radio guys have said, Emery is not emotionally tied to anything and willing to do what he feels will make this team better. Be it keeping Lovie or getting rid of everybody. Of course it's all speculation. I'm kind of excited to see how things play out already.

Reactions: X