Bears are 1st in the NFL with 32 sacks as a team

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you either fire him, put him in a place he can work or remove him from the responsibility.

I’m a cinematographer and photographer, if my focus puller is not doing the job, it’s my responsibility to first, remove him from the job, and if I can’t do the job myself. Tell the producer to get someone else in his place. I cannot say after doing the job and it’s all out of focus, hey, that guy did it wrong!
Neither with equipment, tools or time. When I take a job, they tell me, you’re gonna have this camera, this lights, this crew and this much time. I cannot make excuses after they told e and I took the job. Even if a camera breaks, or dont arrive, I can refuse to keep working, but if I do the job, I cannot make it my excuse. if you take the job for the day, you need to make a good job, regardless of the conditions.

Going back to football, so, you can only held accountable coaches who have great players? I mean anyone can coach with great players. Anyone accepting the Detroit job, knows what they’re getting themselves in to, and no one is expecting they win the division or anything, just be average. And if they cant do the job, they get fired, because they’re not the man for the job.

Anyone can coach great players, but no one can coach horrible players. There's A difference between a player who does their job, one who does things above and beyond their job, and ones who are incapable of doing their job.

The Bears have a talent problem. I have said this consistently about both sides of the ball. Most fans seem to think coaches have some magic ability to change a person into something else. Everybody's doing the same thing. There's no secret scheme or play call that's going to magically turn a terrible player into a star.

Coaches have very little impact on the game. Talent is all that matters, specifically talent at premier positions.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sacks are cool. Not being able to stop anyone on 3rd and long is not, though.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sacks are cool. Not being able to stop anyone on 3rd and long is not, though.
Exactly. Perhaps sacks aren't the tell all. How often is the team really pressuring the opposing QB? Another interesting defensive stat is QB pressures, a combination of sacks, knockdowns and hurries. Sacks will tell you the Bears are getting to the QB. pressure % will tell you they don't pressure the opposing QBs near enough. They, indeed, lead the league in sacks but as far as QB pressures, they are at the bottom, only # 30.

The Bears 73 QB pressures pale in comparison to the league leader w/121. It's the constant pressure that will make life easier on any secondary and force more mistakes, throw aways, and failed 3rd down conversions. Yeah, Bears secondary is bad but you shouldn't think their pass rush is doing them any favors just cause they currently lead in sacks. They're not getting consistent pressure and that's the real key.

mecha

Liked Posts:
he has more Super Bowl wins than anyone on the planet for the time being. he's been with the same team for over 20 years. who else has achieved that... Halas? Landry? Noll? Shula? it's a short list.

it's also been well acknowledged here that if you're a worthless bag of shit you get dealt from the Patriots and replaced real quick. that's a well oiled and well coached machine. I'm sure a lot of people left them for dead after Brady left and Newton didn't work out. I don't think they're capable of winning it all but they might offer some surprises before Belichick hangs it up.

if you were trying to be omgironic or something then sorry in advance.

also harkening back to the issue at hand, good example was Lovie Smith's bend but don't break defense. they might give up the yards but they'll get the stop before the other team scores more often than not. I guess the moral of the story is statistics only tell half the story. like dipshits in the political arena thinking they won with their Twitter gotcha zinger snark teehee funny bullshit... it doesn't matter much in the real world does it?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sacks and pressure is why I thought we had a chance to get by with a some unproven bodies in the 2ndary. Not so much. Of course, that was also when Trufant was still on the roster.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is an unrealistic example. NFL players are a scarce commodity. You cant just swap them out like you can other people in other professions.

There are 82 CBs that have played 50% of snaps this year. Vildor ranks 82 out of 82. Like Jesus Christ, no one is saying Desai needs elite players. We are saying he needs at least average players. The issue is Vildor literally has the worst passer rating against of any CB in the NFL. And we tried to replace him with Burns and Burns passer rating was even worse than Vildor's. So we literally have the worst CB in the NFL and hisnreplacement is just as bad.

In fact, if you include all defenders, Vildor ranks 280 out of 286 players so he is literally one of the worst coverage players in the entire NFL.

So this is like you having the worst focus puller in the industry and then when you try and replace him you end up with the new worst focus puller in the industry.
I never thought Vildor could be a competent starter so why did Bears' coaches? Bears' pass rush has been garbage too. That's not going to help your D-backs any either.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again, pass yards are not the problem. Viador is one player, how about Eddie Jackson, he’s playing almost at the same level as Vildor.

So, I wonder when you’re hired as a coach, what do they say? Hey, I don’t think I can makes this guys play average, let alone good, I mean, I know they have been a top 10 defense the past two years, or very close to one, but now the players all suck, so, don‘t expect me to be even average, bottom 10 is almost a guarantee. That’s what they say? Or they say, I know what players I’ve got, and I know I can win with them, and be above average to very good, in the case of the defense.

Two different previous coaches have been better with 70% of this players. Heck I’ve said it since 2019, Fangio made this average players look good with his scheme and the great Mack, Hicks, Smith, Floyd and Goldman.

Pass yards are a problem. You are delusional to say otherwise. The Bears have given up massive plays in the pass game dude due to shitty secondary play. That also includes Jackson. Teams pass more than they run and big plays in the pass game are easier to come by.

The issue with this D is the explosive pkays they five up in the passing game even if overall their passing stats look decent. Go look at any Bears loss and the key component in that loss was lapses in the secondary.

It doesnt matter what was said. What matters is the reality. Fangio nor Pagano had a CB with a 137 passing rating against.

Mack is going to miss more games this year than he has in his previous seasons combined for the Bears. Hicks looks old and Goldman is still trying to get his shit together after a year off. DT used to be a decent LB and now we are relying on a guy that just came to camp to watch the Olympics.

Pretending like this is the same team as if players don't decline in 1 year is laughable. It is like watching Lovie's D towards rhe end and pretending like Briggs was the same guy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never thought Vildor could be a competent starter so why did Bears' coaches? Bears' pass rush has been garbage too. That's not going to help your D-backs any either.

Don't know. If you want to knock Pace and the coaches for their talent evaluation that is fair. That isnt a deficiency in scheme. That is a deficiency in talent and talent evaluation.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know. If you want to knock Pace and the coaches for their talent evaluation that is fair. That isnt a deficiency in scheme. That is a deficiency in talent and talent evaluation.
Is the poor pass rush a deficiency in scheme? Sacks are swell but as far a total QB pressures, Bears are near last in the league so they're not exactly making opposing QBs uncomfortable.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Is the poor pass rush a deficiency in scheme? Sacks are swell but as far a total QB pressures, Bears are near last in the league so they're not exactly making opposing QBs uncomfortable.

I would like to see the stats for QB pressures. Feels like a stat that would mostly be based on team record. If you‘re up in a game you know the other team has to throw. You can pass rush more. That results in more pressures. I’m sure most of you know this. It’s been brought up in the thread. Which is what makes the Bears having so many sacks so weird. They’ve been down most games. So you assume teams would be running the ball giving them less opportunity for sacks.

The Bears clearly have a good DL. It’s the strength of the team. Look how much money they have allocated towards it. They’re paying both Mack and Quinn a ton of money. Especially Mack. Goldman makes a lot of money. That unit should be good. Feels like half the freaking cap goes to it.

I also feel like this stat could be misleading because pressure isn’t always a good thing. In the sense that blitzing causes pressure. But a good QB will burn the blitz. So a defense is better off playing off and not blitzing. A good QB will just go to their hot route and beat it. The defense got pressure though. So they get their little “pressure” on the stat sheet. But it was a negative play that wasn’t going to work because a competent QB will destroy it. It’s little stuff like that and what I mentioned earlier about record that sort of makes me just laugh at you trying to spin reality. “Oh no, they actually suck. See here’s this stat. Ignore all the other stuff. Look at my misleading stat. it’s not about sacks. It’s about pressure. Yeah, that’s the ticket. Pressure.“

This place is funny. Very few want to actually have an honest discussion. Or assess what they’re seeing in an unbiased fashion. It’s like most of you have these predetermined takes and or opinions and spend most of your time trying to spin everything into a narrative that supports these takes.

Like, why is this dude arguing that the Bears don’t have a good DL? It’s the only thing they do have. But because his shtick is about being negative he finds some misleading stat and becomes the champion of it. Tomorrow he’ll tell you QB pressure is meaningless if it fits into whatever narrative he’s attempting to push. The sad thing is he’s really no different than most of you. The
reality that Justin Fields might not be a good NFL QB has some of you so scared your whole existence on this board the last few months has been about throwing anybody under the bus so you can to deflect from how bad Fields has been. What’s even weirder is that subconsciously you have to know coming in here and arguing that nothing is his fault is a defense mechanism because you can’t deal with the fact that he may not be the next coming. But you still come on here and argue anyway. I find it fascinating that some of you have the ability to do that. Your personal belief in Justin Fields has no bearing on whether he’ll be good or not. Being critical of him won’t break him. Just in case you didn’t know, Justin Fields doesn’t read this forum. You’re not going to hurt his feelings. What you type and post on here has no influence on his gameplay. So why come here and be dishonest about what we’re seeing?

Last edited:

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to see the stats for QB pressures. Feels like a stat that would mostly be based on team record. If you‘re up in a game you know the other team has to throw. You can pass rush more. That results in more pressures. I’m sure most of you know this. It’s been brought up in the thread. Which is what makes the Bears having so many sacks so weird. They’ve been down most games. So you assume teams would be running the ball giving them less opportunity for sacks.

The Bears clearly have a good DL. It’s the strength of the team. Look how much money they have allocated towards it. They’re paying both Mack and Quinn a ton of money. Especially Mack. Goldman makes a lot of money. That unit should be good. Feels like half the freaking cap goes to it.
Money wasted. As pressure goes, Bears are #30 in the league and QB pressures tell the story more than sacks ever will. When you think of the last SB and how the TB pass rush dominated the Chiefs, sacks would not tell the story. Brady was sacked once and Mahomes 3 times. Meaningless. The real story was told in QB pressures. Brady was pressured on 5 of his dropbacks or 17% of dropbacks while Mahomes was pressured on 21 or 38% of his dropbacks.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I’m sure when Robert Quinn was tearing it up last year in pressures despite only having 2 sacks were you on here defending him and telling us how important his pressures are.

You’re full of shit and will just try and spin whatever you can into a negative.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

I also feel like this stat could be misleading because pressure isn’t always a good thing. In the sense that blitzing causes pressure. But a good QB will burn the blitz. So a defense is better off playing off and not blitzing. A good QB will just go to their hot route and beat it. The defense got pressure though. So they get their little “pressure” on the stat sheet. But it was a negative play that wasn’t going to work because a competent QB will destroy it. It’s little stuff like that and what I mentioned earlier about record that sort of makes me just laugh at you trying to spin reality. “Oh no, they actually suck. See here’s this stat. Ignore all the other stuff. Look at my misleading stat. it’s not about sacks. It’s about pressure. Yeah, that’s the ticket. Pressure.“

This place is funny. Very few want to actually have an honest discussion. Or assess what they’re seeing in an unbiased fashion. It’s like most of you have these predetermined takes and or opinions and spend most of your time trying to spin everything into a narrative that supports these takes.

Like, why is this dude arguing that the Bears don’t have a good DL? It’s the only thing they do have. But because his shtick is about being negative he finds some misleading stat and becomes the champion of it. Tomorrow he’ll tell you QB pressure is meaningless if it fits into whatever narrative he’s attempting to push. The sad thing is he’s really no different than most of you. The
reality that Justin Fields might not be a good NFL QB has some of you so scared your whole existence on this board the last few months has been about throwing anybody under the bus so you can to deflect from how bad Fields has been. What’s even weirder is that subconsciously you have to know coming in here and arguing that nothing is his fault is a defense mechanism because you can’t deal with the fact that he may not be the next coming. But you still come on here and argue anyway. I find it fascinating that some of you have the ability to do that. Your personal belief in Justin Fields has no bearing on whether he’ll be good or not. Being critical of him won’t break him. Just in case you didn’t know, Justin Fields doesn’t read this forum. You’re not going to hurt his feelings. What you type and post on here has no influence on his gameplay. So why come here and be dishonest about what we’re seeing?
QB pressure is far more important than the occasional sack. You can have a defender average 1 sack per game and that will look real good overall as he gets in the double digits of sacks but what's he doing on all those other plays and how far can you ride with that 1 sack per game? You want defenders who get that push more consistently, get in the heads of opposing QBs and force mistakes by making them uncomfortable. For instance, Quinn has 1 more sack right now than Bosa but Bosa has far more pressures. Do you want that 1 more sack or that 15 more pressures?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You are using PFR whose pressure stats are typically much lower than PFF. In addition the Dolphins lead PFF with 121 pressures that is largely because they blitz more than any other team. They blitz almost twice as much as the Bears ie 39.7% vs 20.6% for the Bears yet they dont have double the pressures. They also can afford to blitz almost twice as much ecause they have much better CBs than the Bears. Using PFF, Dolphins have 148 pressures compared to 108 for the Bears. So again almost double the blitz rate but only about 50% more pressures created.

This also illustrates how Bears fans contradict themselves. Bears fans simulataneously want more pressure but also more S help for Vildor/Burns. You really can't blitz more without taking guys out of coverage and thus leaving Vildor/Burns in more one on ones. Bears have the 5th lowest blitz rate in large part because the secondary outside of Johnson sucks and so they try and leave more guys in coverage.

It is also hard to create more pressure with a 4 man rush with Mack now out so again it is pick your poison. The fact the Bears lead in sacks despite largely relying on just a 4 man rush is quite reamarkable.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m sure when Robert Quinn was tearing it up last year in pressures despite only having 2 sacks were you on here defending him and telling us how important his pressures are.

You’re full of shit and will just try and spin whatever you can into a negative.
If being tied at #86 in the league in pressures is tearing it up, then, yeah, Quinn was tearing it up last year. Hell, only 85 defenders were better. LMAO

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If being tied at #86 in the league in pressures is tearing it up, then, yeah, Quinn was tearing it up last year. Hell, only 85 defenders were better. LMAO

His pass rush win rate was higher than Floyd's last year despite getting doubled more than Floyd. Can't get a pressure if the ball already out despite you beating your guy in under 2.5 seconds.

I said before the season he was due to have a good season because his sack and pressure numbers were misleading. Pagano used to play guys off and they would give up a lot of quick passes.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are using PFR whose pressure stats are typically much lower than PFF. In addition the Dolphins lead PFF with 121 pressures that is largely because they blitz more than any other team. They blitz almost twice as much as the Bears ie 39.7% vs 20.6% for the Bears yet they dont have double the pressures. They also can afford to blitz almost twice as much ecause they have much better CBs than the Bears. Using PFF, Dolphins have 148 pressures compared to 108 for the Bears. So again almost double the blitz rate but only about 50% more pressures created.

This also illustrates how Bears fans contradict themselves. Bears fans simulataneously want more pressure but also more S help for Vildor/Burns. You really can't blitz more without taking guys out of coverage and thus leaving Vildor/Burns in more one on ones. Bears have the 5th lowest blitz rate in large part because the secondary outside of Johnson sucks and so they try and leave more guys in coverage.

It is also hard to create more pressure with a 4 man rush with Mack now out so again it is pick your poison. The fact the Bears lead in sacks despite largely relying on just a 4 man rush is quite reamarkable.
The difference in PFR and PFF is that PFF is more liberal in what constitutes as a Hurry. And nothing wrong with blitzing more if your scheme supports it and can handle it with the blitzes getting there more often than not. To argue that sacks are more important than consistent pressure is incredibly ignorant. More pressure means more mistakes.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
His pass rush win rate was higher than Floyd's last year despite getting doubled more than Floyd. Can't get a pressure if the ball already out despite you beating your guy in under 2.5 seconds.

I said before the season he was due to have a good season because his sack and pressure numbers were misleading. Pagano used to play guys off and they would give up a lot of quick passes.
pass rush win rate is a meaningless thing. Doesn't mean anything if you aren't applying pressure to the QB.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:

More misleading spin. Id bet anything he got pressure at a good percentage, I’d bet anything you’re using total pressures which is obviously going to skew the stat. But that’s what you want so whatever.