Bears 'brainstorming' cutting-edge offense for Trubisky

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Sounds like they're going to play to Trubisky's strengths rather than try to make him a pocket passer. Smart.

Definitely smart to play to his strengths but it most definitely is the staffs job to make Trubisky a pocket passer over time. If you're going to be an elite QB in the NFL, you need to be a dangerous pocket passer. I like the idea of mixing it up more and playing more to Trubs strength, but eventually that will dry up if he can't win from the pocket.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
His pocket presence will improve greatly when we start running a real NFL offense

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
He isn't good in the pocket. His presence and footwork are poor. Who knows how long it would take to fix these things, if ever? At least this way he can hit the ground running.

These are valid points, and the Bears seem to be thinking outside the very small Halas Hall box by tailoring the offense around the quarterbacks strengths.

However, successful quarterbacking in the NFL almost always comes back to being an accomplished passer in the pocket. If the Bears want to augment Trubisky's game with other options, that's great. But the poor pocket presence and footwork we've seen thus far MUST be fixed if he is going to succeed. When the 'mickster says "who knows how long it will take to fix these things, IF EVER," he is identifying the crux of whether The Frisky One will ever be a long-term success or whether he is doomed to flash-in-the-pan status (provided, that is, he flashes in the first place) . . .

Last edited:

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Kinda reminds me of when the Bears hired Gary Crowton as OC under Dick Jauron, in terms of bringing a college influence to the NFL.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If he can’t improve his game in the pocket he honestly isn’t worth keeping. I’d rather at least try to see how he can perform in the pocket going forward. The team will get short term success asking him to move around more, but he won’t be a top ten guy if he doesn’t get better in the most important area for the QB to play from.

I don't think he has top 10 talent anyway, so I would much rather get the best they can out of him by playing to his strengths. You can win with him with the right kind of offense and the right people around him. He's good at what he does, just isn't a natural pocket QB. I would rather get the best out of him than try to force him into a role he isn't comfortable in.

I agree he needs to get better in the pocket, but I'd rather run an offense like this right now, than a straight up pro-style pocket based one, because it gives the Bears the best chance to succeed in the short term.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you on some kind of hallucinogenic? I don't see where anyone mentioned Watson at all. What does he have to do with the Bears offense?

Maybe the fact you're talking bullshit. Trubisky was almost entirely forced to develop last season as a pocket passer and secondarily ran when he had no other option. There were very few designed runs and rollouts he executed in the 12 games he played. Nagy is about to install an offense that is going to stress all of the receivers into learning the X, Y and Z. The bulk of this learning curve is going to be on Trubisky because he's going to have to learn how to operate the base offense against all forms of coverage before they even get creative running anything else. But by all means tell me more about how Nagy's offense is going to "play to Trubisky's strengths rather than try to make him a pocket passer."

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe the fact you're talking bullshit. Trubisky was almost entirely forced to develop last season as a pocket passer and secondarily ran when he had no other option. There were very few designed runs and rollouts he executed in the 12 games he played. Nagy is about to install an offense that is going to stress all of the receivers into learning the X, Y and Z. The bulk of this learning curve is going to be on Trubisky because he's going to have to learn how to operate the base offense against all forms of coverage before they even get creative running anything else. But by all means tell me more about how Nagy's offense is going to "play to Trubisky's strengths rather than try to make him a pocket passer."

There's going to be a load of college style RPO and spread concepts which will suit his skillset. Defenders will be moved out of the box, and they'll use Trubisky in zone reads where he'll get to run more. He isn't comfortable in the pocket in a traditional pro-style offense and doesn't feel the pressure or read the defense very well. Now he'll get to throw more quick passes. Getting him doing more of the things he's comfortable with should make for more immediate results.

And this pertains to Watson how exactly?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
How man rookies are great in the pocket and feel pressure and read defenses well?

And how can you even tell given how poorly the offense as a whole played?

I'll wait until he's got more than 12 starts in an otherwise awful offense under his belt before making such judgments. He clearly needs to get better at pre-snap reads, but once that happens I'd expect the game to slow down for him a bit and he'll look more comfortable in the pocket.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kinda reminds me of when the Bears hired Gary Crowton as OC under Dick Jauron, in terms of bringing a college influence to the NFL.

Gary Crowton? Uh oh . . .

. . . Thought your farts were unannounced? Gary Crowton flat out stinks worse than stool.

Bear fans better hope that ain't where this is going . . .

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's going to be a load of college style RPO and spread concepts which will suit his skillset. Defenders will be moved out of the box, and they'll use Trubisky in zone reads where he'll get to run more. He isn't comfortable in the pocket in a traditional pro-style offense and doesn't feel the pressure or read the defense very well. Now he'll get to throw more quick passes. Getting him doing more of the things he's comfortable with should make for more immediate results.

People keep misinterpreting the college concepts that Nagy and his OC will eventually integrate. I am willing to put money down on a bet that the RPO plays will almost all be run pass options as handoffs to the back not a running option for Trubisky. Nagy is not going to be stupid enough to repeatedly put Trubisky in position to get smacked around in running plays. He will only run Trubs enough to force a defense into considering wasting a defender as a QB spy freeing up a man down field. I will eat my hat if Trubisky is frequently running the ball.

As for Watson comment. Lets be real here. You're not fooling anyone with your commentary. You're a well documented Watson blowhard and you took the chance to make up some bullshit about Trubisky not being a pocket passer. Despite being exactly what he was being developed as both in college and so far in the NFL.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
How man rookies are great in the pocket and feel pressure and read defenses well?

And how can you even tell given how poorly the offense as a whole played?

I'll wait until he's got more than 12 starts in an otherwise awful offense under his belt before making such judgments. He clearly needs to get better at pre-snap reads, but once that happens I'd expect the game to slow down for him a bit and he'll look more comfortable in the pocket.

Every so often, common sense rings through CCS like Catholic church bells.

People acting like he has Kaepernick's mental aptitude.

Trubs flashed plenty from the pocket in shit circumstances.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As for Watson comment. Lets be real here. You're not fooling anyone with your commentary. You're a well documented Watson blowhard and you took the chance to make up some bullshit about Trubisky not being a pocket passer. Despite being exactly what he was being developed as both in college and so far in the NFL.

The fact that I rate Watson highly (like most fans, analysts and coaches do) has nothing to do with Trubisky's development as a pro QB. Your continual need to tie them together is cringingly emotional and irrational.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that I rate Watson highly (like most fans, analysts and coaches do) has nothing to do with Trubisky's development as a pro QB. Your continual need to tie them together is cringingly emotional and irrational.

'mickster, xero's a zero. the shoopster would say that to him directly, but the pu55y says he's got the most influential poster within these forii (pl: forum) on ignore. So I can't help him . . .

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

So pray tell, what evidence is there to say Nagy's offense is going to "play to Trubisky's strengths rather than try to make him a pocket passer." What evidence points to Trubisky not being a pocket passer? What evidence points to any development of Trubisky as a running quarterback?

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
People keep misinterpreting the college concepts that Nagy and his OC will eventually integrate. I am willing to put money down on a bet that the RPO plays will almost all be run pass options as handoffs to the back not a running option for Trubisky. Nagy is not going to be stupid enough to repeatedly put Trubisky in position to get smacked around in running plays. He will only run Trubs enough to force a defense into considering wasting a defender as a QB spy freeing up a man down field. I will eat my hat if Trubisky is frequently running the ball.

X you completely lost me.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The idea isn't to run a college spread O but to mix it in with a pro O to keep D's off balance by being less predictable and to have more in your bag of tricks of mismatches. They are not ditching the pocket. They are actually putting more on his plate as opposed to taking some off as you would for accelerating success in a rookie.. as opposed to focusing fundamentals.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can't help you there Bigfoot if you don't say what you didn't understand.