Bears couldn't afford Jarvis Landry

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Maybe Pringle is betting on himself

Why sign long term if you excel in a bigger role? you line yourself up for a bigger payday
I agree with this. I think it was smart for both parties to sign a one year deal. If Pringle proves himself and feels like he can succeed with Fields, there would be no reason why both parties wouldn’t agree to an extension.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Sorry but it's the NFL and he's going to have to prove himself or someone else will take his job.
I agree in part, but as an organization is this how you treat a first round QB? Shitty coach who doesn't want to play or coach him year #1, and now no talent to help him going into year #2.

If we had a journeyman QB I would understand throwing him to the wolves. But its not something you do as an organization when 12 months ago you traded up to get him.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I agree in part, but as an organization is this how you treat a first round QB? Shitty coach who doesn't want to play or coach him year #1, and now no talent to help him going into year #2.

If we had a journeyman QB I would understand throwing him to the wolves. But its not something you do as an organization when 12 months ago you traded up to get him.
Can you clarify on the no talent part?
-Mooney is proven talent
-Pringle is talented and if used properly can be a threat
-Kmet needs to improve but has shown signs of his talent
-Both Rbs have shown off their talents

Now we have an OC who will actually put the players in a position to succeed. Sure, Fields doesn’t have any super stars around him. But why do you think he has no talent around him to help him develop?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Old vet WR dont do well here

Remember Victor Cruz? Neither do I. Eddie Royal maybe? Roy Williams?

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Yes, the same all pro who has proven he can put up 1,000+ yards in a season doing it without a future HOF qb and TE. That guy.
That was 3 years ago. Landry got an absurd amount of targets early in his career for a guy that’s not dynamic with the ball in his hands. He’s a decent player (WR3) but not someone you should be mad about for not signing. Based on the contract he got - most the league felt that way or he REALLY wanted to play with Jameis Winston.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was 3 years ago. Landry got an absurd amount of targets early in his career for a guy that’s not dynamic with the ball in his hands. He’s a decent player (WR3) but not someone you should be mad about for not signing. Based on the contract he got - most the league felt that way or he REALLY wanted to play with Jameis Winston.
No, it's not the point. But he was over 100 targets in 2020 and would have probably hit that number in 2021 had he not been injured. Maybe he wanted more money to play here, rather than on a potential playoff team. Idc he didn't sign here, it would be nice to hear the Bears tried something for Fields. They paid Pringle $1M more and while I am a fan of his, it's another big ?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I thought I did. 12 WRs on the roster and 2000 yards last season combined, half of which is Mooney.

It may be the thinnest WR corps in the NFL next to Carolina.

Please try to find me a few teams with worse WR groups than the Bears.
The Packers.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I thought I did. 12 WRs on the roster and 2000 yards last season combined, half of which is Mooney.

It may be the thinnest WR corps in the NFL next to Carolina.

Please try to find me a few teams with worse WR groups than the Bears.
There’s a difference between talent and stats. You said there is no talent around Fields, which there is. It’s not those players faults if they weren’t used properly with previous coaches/teams.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It is what it is.

I think we’re seeing from all these 1-year WR deals that the idea that the Bears didn’t pay because they’re saving money for 2023 is bullshit.

This money for guys like Landry, Chark, Juju and MVS would’ve freed up by next offseason anyway. “They’re saving that money for next year” isn’t true.

Last edited:

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with either in bold. I don't think spending big money in FA on WR is a smart move going forward. I'd rather they use the draft capital, which, well.....
Depends on the draft capital.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

I have to laugh and shake my head when people say, “But what could Poles have possibly done?!”

Just look at how every other team is treating their promising young quarterback.

The Dolphins got Tyreek Hill, Cedrick Wilson, Terron Armstead and re-signed Mike Gesicki for Tua.

The Jets signed CJ Uzomah and Tyler Conklin for Zach Wilson, and tried to get Tyreek Hill.

The Jaguars got Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, Evan Engram and Brandon Scherff for Trevor Lawrence.

The risk-averse Patriots got Devonte Parker and Trent Brown for Mac Jones.

Even the Chiefs, who have probably the best player in the league, decided after losing Tyreek Hill to grab Juju Smith-Schuster and MVS in free agency, and spend valuable draft capital on Skyy Moore.

Some people here think those teams don’t have other holes they could’ve spent that money on. They absolutely do. But they prioritized surrounding their young quarterbacks with talent.

And I’ll tell you what: They’ll know what the hell they have in Tua and Wilson and Jones and Lawrence by the end of this year, at least moreso than the Bears might with Fields.

The league zigs, the Bears zag. The league goes offense. The Bears once again prioritize defense—defensive head coach, defense magically being BPA in the draft for the first two picks, and defense magically being the free agency priority.

Will it work? Ultimately unknowable at this point. I’ll admit that. But the evidence wouldn’t seem to indicate that ignoring offensive protection and weapons for your young quarterback and focusing instead on defense probably isn’t the way to long-term success.

The Bears finally get a QB to hang your wishes on, to hope that they could maybe, just maybe, finally have a franchise 15-year QB. And this is how you treat him? Ok, we’ll see. We’ll see.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Landry has averaged close to 1000 yards a season over his career. Certainly would have been a solid addition even if they guaranteed the total 6 million.

Poles certainly took on a difficult situation on the offensive side of the ball but man he has done himself no favors this offseason.
He dipped to like half of that last year. I like how you have to use averages to justify he was better than what he ACTUALLY was last season.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I have to laugh and shake my head when people say, “But what could Poles have possibly done?!”

Just look at how every other team is treating their promising young quarterback.

The Dolphins got Tyreek Hill, Cedrick Wilson, Terron Armstead and re-signed Mike Gesicki for Tua.

The Jets signed CJ Uzomah and Tyler Conklin for Zach Wilson, and tried to get Tyreek Hill.

The Jaguars got Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, Evan Engram and Brandon Scherff for Trevor Lawrence.

The risk-averse Patriots got Devonte Parker and Trent Brown for Mac Jones.

Even the Chiefs, who have probably the best player in the league, decided after losing Tyreek Hill to grab Juju Smith-Schuster and MVS in free agency, and spend valuable draft capital on Skyy Moore.

Some people here think those teams don’t have other holes they could’ve spent that money on. They absolutely do. But they prioritized surrounding their young quarterbacks with talent.

And I’ll tell you what: They’ll know what the hell they have in Tua and Wilson and Jones and Lawrence by the end of this year, at least moreso than the Bears might with Fields.

The league zigs, the Bears zag. The league goes offense. The Bears once again prioritize defense—defensive head coach, defense magically being BPA in the draft for the first two picks, and defense magically being the free agency priority.

Will it work? Ultimately unknowable at this point. I’ll admit that. But the evidence wouldn’t seem to indicate that ignoring offensive protection and weapons for your young quarterback and focusing instead on defense probably isn’t the way to long-term success.

The Bears finally get a QB to hang your wishes on, to hope that they could maybe, just maybe, finally have a franchise 15-year QB. And this is how you treat him? Ok, we’ll see. We’ll see.
I just laugh and shake my head when moron fans forget they have little cash or cap space, and aren't gonna spend the farm what they do have on free agents when they team isn't gonna be ready to compete this year.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I just laugh and shake my head when moron fans forget they have little cash or cap space, and aren't gonna spend the farm what they do have on free agents when they team isn't gonna be ready to compete this year.
They literally have around the 7th most cap space. Do a little research. Did you forget about the $41 mil Poles tried to give Larry Ogunjobi?

For the same price they tried to sign Ogunjobi at, they could’ve signed MVS *and* either Juju or Landry.

Who said anything about “spending the farm”?

And who said anything about being ready to compete this year? I just want to see the Bears put Fields in the best position to succeed. I want to see real growth from the young quarterback. That’s my Bears goal for this year, not wins and losses.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Landry averages 11yds per reception which is incredibly average for a receiver. Solid player but he's never been some amazing game breaker.
Would have been good to have him but he chose to play close to home. He's a volume receiver that has yet to make an elite difference.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Bears weren't going to give a large contract to a player that is 29 years old. Makes little sense for a rebuild.

They are targeting players in the 25-26 year range, who perhaps underperformed or played as backup and ready to start now.