Bears defense projected to be near the bottom again

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Unless they find a way to fix the pass rush, my expectations are pretty low. But should be better than last season.
Interior DL is fixed. If DomRob can turn it on like I'm #callediting he will, and this super expensive LB corps does its thing, and the secondary is as improved as it is on paper along with Gordon's continued ascent (he really developed quickly last season IMO) then really it's all about getting the O back on the Field. There were more than 3 games where the D holds things down last year and they come out with Ws.

Bust

Liked Posts:
They need ball bounces and turnovers. This single stat will turn any defense to top tier.

JJ is in his contract year. Is he worth top bucks as a corner with 1 career pick?

Username

Liked Posts:
No elite players. No reason to get excited.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Despite the lack of pass rushers (or talented ones), this is Flus's specialty. He's going to have to develop players at some point. He kinda got a pass on the defense last year while Getsy seemed to take the brunt of the criticism. If Flus can't put together a good defense (or at minimum a competent one that's not a doormat), I don't know why he's a HC.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I don't think they will be top 10 but expect them to be much improved. The Offense will consistently score more points and chew up clock, the rookie DL will improve the run D and the backend will be better as well. They need some turnovers which I think will get better, lastly the OL will give JF more protection and he will get the ball out quicker hitting short passes to move the chains. Overall, I'm optimistic and think they will surprise, I'm thinking near top 15 for both units.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think they will be top 10 but expect them to be much improved. The Offense will consistently score more points and chew up clock, the rookie DL will improve the run D and the backend will be better as well. They need some turnovers which I think will get better, lastly the OL will give JF more protection and he will get the ball out quicker hitting short passes to move the chains. Overall, I'm optimistic and think they will surprise, I'm thinking near top 15 for both units.

The rookie D-line will improve the run defense.

Are you listening to yourself.

Caleb Williams come on down.
Fields can't out throw this defense and if he tries to out run it we might be picking #1 again.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If by 17th you mean 31st.
I'll go out on a limb and say we move up 1 or 2 spots.

Nope, I meant 17th.

People forget the defense wasn’t terrible in the beginning of the year. Then they traded Quinn and Roquan and the defense went into shambles.

With Edmunds and Edwards the LB corp is much improved

The secondary should be improved. Added Stevenson and another year of development for Brisker/Gordon.

The run defense should be much improved with Billings and the rookie DTs, not to mention Walker, who is a big DE. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Gipson has a good year with better interior play and more push up front. Same goes for Robinson

Don’t expect the defense to blow anyone away, but I think they’ll be decent enough and not the train wreck you’re suggesting

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope, I meant 17th.

People forget the defense wasn’t terrible in the beginning of the year. Then they traded Quinn and Roquan and the defense went into shambles.

The secondary should be improved. Added Stevenson and another year of development for Brisker/Gordon.

The run defense should be much improved with Billings and the rookie DTs, not to mention Walker, who is a big DE. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Gipson has a good year with better interior play and more push up front. Same goes for Robinson

Don’t expect the defense to blow anyone away, but I think they’ll be decent enough and not the train wreck you’re suggesting

Good job, I think you convinced me. If by chance it fails miserably do we fire Eberflus or Poles?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think it will be below average but closer to average than the bottom. At least closer than last year. I would be super impressed if anyone could make an above average D with this roster over a 17 game season.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Nope, I meant 17th.

That's just it. Bottom half of the middle 10 or 11 defenses? Not bad enough to be bottom 10 but not a hell of a lot better than that? Something like that i think is fairly realistic.

As much as we wanted an impact DE in the draft, DT was the worst position on the team by far last year. Angelo Blackson, Justin Jones, Mike Pennel and Armon Watts was a parade of backup DTs.